Start by marking “Moonshine & Murder: Moonshine Hollow #1” as Want to Read:
Moonshine & Murder: Moonshine Hollow #1

Moonshine & Murder: Moonshine Hollow #1

(Moonshine Hollow #1)

Zoey Mathers had everything going for her until one night she lost her biggest client, her job, and her reputation. Leaving her life up to fate, Zoey closed her eyes and pointed. She would serve out her career exile in the small mountain town of Moonshine Hollow where moonshine flowed as freely as a mountain stream.

Giving up the law to become a baker in Moonshine Hollow t
Published March 3rd 2019 by Laurens Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Moonshine & Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moonshine & Murder

Kelcy
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
cute!
Up All Night Book Addict
I admit, I saw the title of this book and downloaded it thinking it was a mystery. It is a mystery but also a witchcraft book. I didn't bother with the blub, which I wish I had.

If you took out the witch part of this book, I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more. It was a cute, small town mystery with a love interest. These books are usually enjoyable. Good for a quick, non emotional read. I struggled through this one, even with as short as it is.

The characters were very cliche' for me. I am
Krystyna
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Is he the enemy?

A good start to a new series, light and easy to read with a dash of humour and possibly romance. A very different way of finding out you are a witch. The characters although entertaining still need a bit more grounding to become really real.
When her client makes a frantic phone call to her and she tries to limit the damage she finds herself quickly turning from the blue eyed wonder lawyer to an unemployable one. Now out on bail she takes the advice of her rescuer and moves to a
Kathleen
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Once I started to read this new book by Kathleen Brooks, I knew she had another winner on her hands. The first pages of this book had me LMAO and getting a little teary at the same time and I just could not put it down.
When entertainment lawyer Zoey gets a call from her top client late at night, she goes to the resuce, and in that one call her career goes down the drain. What is she to do next, through a dart at a map and when that dart lands on Moonshine TN, she drives accross country and does
Kaitlin
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
The ending left me anxiously waiting for the next book. Kathleen is my favorite author. This book is much different from her others, introducing the magic aspect, but it still has plenty of her signature style:small towns, strong women, sexy men, mystery, intrigue, meddling old ladies, and lots of gossip. I can't wait for the next 2 novellas to be released!
Leslie
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Uggg. Series!

Oh no! The end? I was just getting into the story… I hate cliffhanger series! Please please please don't let Slade be a bad guy !
Dora
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Moonshine and Murder

Zoey Mathers was well on her way to making partner in the law firm where she worked, when her celebrity client calls her in a panic. He has violated the moral clause of the million dollar movie contract that he had just signed. Zoey tries to get him extricated from the strip joint where he was swinging naked from the stripper pole and crying that someone was trying to kill him. Zoey ends up the worse for wear as the prostitutes who had accompanied the celebrity had torn out a
A.M.
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, i-own
Fate, in the form of a knife blade stuck in a map, chose Moonshine Hollow as the place for Zoey to start over. She’s just been sacked from her law firm and starting a bakery in the small town is a major life pivot but she’s got the funds and the recipes.
She settles in well to small town life, but is accidentally witchified when she steps into her neighbours Agnes and Vilma’s yard unexpectedly.
“… Therefore, the man’s powers went to the nearest open object—your open, screaming mouth,” Vilma said
Lynda
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, mysteries
Ess
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wanted so badly to give this book a five star rating but just a few things held me back.
Firstly I would have loved there to have been more content- I wish it had been longer and although I love quick reads that I can fly through, I felt like this may have been a little too quick.
Secondly, following the same notion as the first, I would have loved a more in-depth explanation and more insight into the Claritase and their history. It’s touched on nicely in the book, yes, but I feel it’s such an i
Carol Evans
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Zoey’s life in LA fell apart dramatically in the most public and embarrassing way possible. And the scene in the book is funny, but this is a novella at just over 100 pages and it’s so fun that I don’t want to ruin any of it for you. Anyway, fate brings her to Moonshine Hollow, Tennessee where she sets up a bakery and honestly, her new life makes her happier than her old one ever did.

Zoey has a “family” in Moonshine Hollow and close friends and she’s feeling like her life is coming back together
Marie
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Full of crazy twists!

This is the first in a new series and is very different to the Bluegrass and Shadows Landing series that Kathleen Brooks is known for, but just like Keeneston in the Bluegrass series Moonshine Hollow is full of quirky, interfering, fun characters. And that is probably the best way to describe this book: quirky and fun.
Moonshine Hollow has a cupful of crazy, mixed with a spoonful of magic and a pinch of danger - the perfect recipe. But when you decorate this perfect cupcake
Victory
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Incomplete book

I'm all for a good cliffhanger, but that was not the case here. The story just cut off and it felt like a gimmick to get the first part of the story for free and then charge me to purchase the remaining. This is one book split into parts and sold separately, not a series.
The main character was likeable, however basic facts are ignored to progress the story. Small town lawyer is breaking the law and the former lawyer doesn't point that out? Or the detective doesn't know how to inv
Andrea
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
It seemed like this book was never proofread.

The story started out a little fast, and the pace kept up through the whole book. The characters were run of the mill. Unfortunately, the author focused on sex a lot, and everyone seemed attracted to one another. There lacked a true, deep romance, which might come about later in the series. However, I was not really impressed with this first installment, so I doubt I will continue reading the series.

I enjoyed the pace and ease of reading, for to me th
Marjorie L Leavitt
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interesting book

I liked the book but felt it was a short book to introduce the main characters for the following books in this series. Moonshine hollow was introduced in Forever Hunted, a Forever Bluegrass series book, so I was expecting characters from that book to be in this one. So I was surprised, pleasantly, but still surprised. I hope Slade turns out to be a good guy but leaves me wondering about Luke and Ava. Oh well I guess I will find out in the next book which I have preordered.
Kathy
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kathleen-brooks
This book is quite different from the romances and intrigue I have loved by Kathleen Brooks. This is the first book of three about a woman who rediscovered, redefined herself after her professional world imploded. Fate leads her to Moonshine Hollow and a new career. It also lead her to becoming something totally different (no spoilers but paranormal is involved). This first book lays the groundwork, introducing the characters and setting up the story. A murder is solved in the first book but gli ...more
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 19, kindle
This is what I get for skimming the summaries...

I expected a simple cozy mystery. Big-city lawyer moves to small town to open a bakery, a body turns up, she flirts with the sheriff, you know, the usual. But something else went down early on in the book and Zoey stumbled on a supernatural showdown that left her with powers she never expected.

I didn't see that coming, but again, maybe I didn't read the blurb closely enough.

The characters are charming, the story is solid, if brief, and if you can t
Erin Southard
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s interesting

Very different book for Kathleen Brooks but her style and humor are there throughout. Not sure how I feel about it yet. This might be one I need the complete trilogy in order for form an opinion. Overall I liked it and I am looking forward to the next two. I also love that the two old ladies of Moonshine Hollow who are the healers of the town are actually witches. It’s a great historical connection since it was always the wise women and the healers that were accused of witchcraft
Neena Christianson Martin
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
New beginnings.

Zoey's life has just imploded leaving her with few options. With the help of a new friend she starts her life over again in Moonshine Hollow, Tn, far from the bright lights of California and her former life. Following her childhood dream she starts anew with the help of some very quirky new friends. As many friends as she makes she also makes quite a few enemies, and she'll have to learn who her real enemies are. A wonderful new series, that I hope will live long and prosper.
Nancy
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Definitely different

Being a huge fan of Kathleen Brooks and her Bluegrass series, I have enjoyed her writing style for steamy, quirky, small town charm with a good dose of action. Moonshine and murder is not like the books I have enjoyed from Ms. Brooks, but it was just as enjoyable. There is a dash of mystery, a smidge of romance, a healthy dose of small town charm, a taste of steamy-dreamy-alpha-male, but a new addition to the mix.... Magic. Nice little twist for a short series and the ending
Annette Aguilar
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a cute refreshing book! Great entertainment, loved it! Couldn’t put it down! Full of fun, surprises, mystery, secrets, mayhem, murder, magic, and hilarious twists and turns! Being arrested, getting fired, starting over, a new job, in a new town and a new state. All this just doesn’t seem very important after she accidentally becomes a witch! Solving a murder so she can clear her best friend in a week, piece of cake! Love the image she paints of small town life, the people who live in it are ...more
Jeannie Autry
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm not used to reading stories involving the paranormal and this is a first for my favorite author but I really liked it more because of the humor and humorous characters. There was also hints of a sexy romance in the making. Zoey is so sweet and cute. Her mentors Vilma and her sister witches, are hilarious. The town certainly has some unforgettable citizens. I can't wait to read the rest of the books in the series and hope my interest is held.
Donna Ferriola
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Moonshine & Murder

This was an interesting book with witches, magic and suspense. It isn't something I would normally read but it was a change of pace. If you want something light with a touch of romance then it is worth reading. I am intrigued to see if Slade is a bad witch but I am hoping for Zoey's sake he is not. This has me wanting to read the next book to find out what is going to happen in this make believe town.
Lauren Kors
Mar 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
Helen
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Baking and Witchcraft

Fate has brought Zoey to Moonshine Hollow to open a bakery. Murder, theft and old boy style justice means she needs to find the real killer fast. New friendships involve her with witchcraft and maybe just maybe a romance or two.
This is a darling start to a new series. Giving Zoey a knack for being in the wrong place, at the wrong time, characters that make you laugh out loud and enough danger to add suspense makes a wonderful read.
Annmarie
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Honestly, I didn't read the blurb before starting this book. This author has always been one of my favorites so it was a given that I was going to read it. Imagine my surprise as I'm reading along, and all of the sudden I'm smack dab in the middle of a paranormal story. I was pleasantly surprised by this all-to-quick read. Although I'm not quite sure how I feel about the intermingling with the Keeneston folks. At any rate, I'm going to read the others in this series.
Karen
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a new series and a totally different type writing for her. I wasn't sure when I first started reading because I am not into the paranormal type books but this was good for the most part. Somethings were obvious as to what was going to happen or how it was going to end but it was still a good read. I will read the next one too. So if you are looking for something different from Kathleen then you will definitely get that.
Sabrina Grace
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a fun book. A fired entertainment lawyer leaves LA for obscure Moonshine Hollow. she opens a bakery and inadvertently becomes a witch. A brutal murder, a hunky deputy and a sexy biker who may just be a lethal witch hunter complicate her simple pastoral life.

This is a light and easy read. The characters are engaging and there is wit as well as fantasy. No super suspenseful it is an engaging fantasy romp.
Xarel
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Robyn Jones
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! Flat out loved it and cant wait for the rest. It was full of excitement and fun with a tease of romance! I'm not going to do a recap because you've probably read the blurb and theres no point in being redundant. This book is a bit different from Kathleens usual because this one has MAGIC!! Which to be honest all her books are magic but this one has some actual witches in. They still have that fun, small town feel. It reminds me of my little town so much.
Kathleen Brooks is a New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today bestselling author. Kathleen's stories are romantic suspense featuring strong female heroines, humor, and happily-ever-afters. Her Bluegrass and Bluegrass Brothers Series feature small town charm with quirky characters while her Women of Power Series shows that behind every sexy billionaire is a man strong enough to love her! ...more

Moonshine Hollow (3 books)
  • Moonshine & Malice: Moonshine Hollow #2
  • Moonshine & Mayhem: Moonshine Hollow #3
“Zoey was about to protest she wasn’t an escort when the door to the waiting room opened and there stood the man in black pleather. “You?” “You,” he said back with a slow grin. “What? Why?” she asked as if she couldn’t gather any more words. The man cupped her elbow and led her from the police station. “I thought you could” 0 likes