Start by marking “Moonshine & Murder (Moonshine Hollow #1)” as Want to Read:
Moonshine & Murder (Moonshine Hollow #1)

Moonshine & Murder

(Moonshine Hollow #1)

Zoey Mathers had everything going for her until one night she lost her biggest client, her job, and her reputation. Leaving her life up to fate, Zoey closed her eyes and pointed. She would serve out her career exile in the small mountain town of Moonshine Hollow where moonshine flowed as freely as a mountain stream.

Giving up the law to become a baker in Moonshine Hollow
Published March 3rd 2019 by Laurens Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Moonshine & Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moonshine & Murder

Start your review of Moonshine & Murder (Moonshine Hollow #1)
Mummy's Naughty Corner
Well this was a little gem. I liked the humor and the story line. The characters were good and they all seem to fit well. It'll be interesting to see what Slade wants and with who. I feel the mystery could have been a bit longer as it seems they had a murder and they caught the murder from one little bit of information. They didn't do enough sleuthing for me to give it 5 stars. ...more
Derryn
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
A hot shot lawyer moves to small town usa 🇺🇸 and becomes a baker. Slips, trips and falls into witchy powers.

I’m so sad! I really wanted to love this 😫 my best mate Kelly recommended it to me ....... and she did me DIRTY!

😂 jk
so there was a lot I liked

The atmosphere reminded me of pushing daisies mixed with hart of dixie.

This book made me crave moonshine and some sweet treats.

The best friend Maribelle was pretty great (although we didn’t get enough of her.

the town and it’s wonderfully weird cl
Franci
Kelcy
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
cute!
Up All Night Book Addict
I admit, I saw the title of this book and downloaded it thinking it was a mystery. It is a mystery but also a witchcraft book. I didn't bother with the blub, which I wish I had.

If you took out the witch part of this book, I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more. It was a cute, small town mystery with a love interest. These books are usually enjoyable. Good for a quick, non emotional read. I struggled through this one, even with as short as it is.

The characters were very cliche' for me. I am
Krystyna
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Is he the enemy?

A good start to a new series, light and easy to read with a dash of humour and possibly romance. A very different way of finding out you are a witch. The characters although entertaining still need a bit more grounding to become really real.
When her client makes a frantic phone call to her and she tries to limit the damage she finds herself quickly turning from the blue eyed wonder lawyer to an unemployable one. Now out on bail she takes the advice of her rescuer and moves to a
Kathleen
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Once I started to read this new book by Kathleen Brooks, I knew she had another winner on her hands. The first pages of this book had me LMAO and getting a little teary at the same time and I just could not put it down.
When entertainment lawyer Zoey gets a call from her top client late at night, she goes to the resuce, and in that one call her career goes down the drain. What is she to do next, through a dart at a map and when that dart lands on Moonshine TN, she drives accross country and does
Kaitlin
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
The ending left me anxiously waiting for the next book. Kathleen is my favorite author. This book is much different from her others, introducing the magic aspect, but it still has plenty of her signature style:small towns, strong women, sexy men, mystery, intrigue, meddling old ladies, and lots of gossip. I can't wait for the next 2 novellas to be released! ...more
Tiszka
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, crime
Easy, nice read, a little bit of mystery, not to much romantic babbling, just right :)

It has a little dose of humor, a little of this mystery-ish atmosphere, but is mostly about witches and a woman who looks for something better in life (and finds it). Great if you want an easy read for the afternoon during heat.
Nola Arganbright
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The right recipe

I loved this book. It was a strong storyline and a well developed plot. The characters are so memorable and personable. Is it white magic vs black magic or strong family ties that save the day?
Tracy
I absolutely adore the cover of this book. And it may have been 90% of the reason I chose to read it. I liked it but it was predictable and there were so many things going on in a short amount of pages. This was a cute, cozy mystery.
Leslie
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Uggg. Series!

Oh no! The end? I was just getting into the story… I hate cliffhanger series! Please please please don't let Slade be a bad guy !
Celeste Johnson
Feb 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book has a nice mix of mystery, moonshine, romance, magic and a dash of steamy alpha male. I look forward to reading the next book.
Emma James
Feb 27, 2021 rated it liked it
This is my first Kathleen Brooks story.
It is a short, cute read I picked up for free.
My stars are lower than normal because I thought for me personally, the mystery part was a little transparent. I love Slade's character and Vilma and Agnes are cuties.
Donna Watson
Started out so cute then turned in a way I wasn’t expecting and not a big fan of. But I am curious what happens in book 2 and 3.
Cris
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting

I really liked it, it was short but really concise and the story it’s really easy to follow. Can’t wait to read the next one!
Sheila
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Cliff hanger

I was really starting to get into the book, and it just ended. The story was good, but definitely could have been longer.
Tony Parsons
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LA, CA. Zoey Mathers (28, lawyer, JD) day was done at the entertainment firm.
Scott Westerfield (big Hollywood action hero) was her next client. $30 million would be quite a lucrative off to him, & to the firm she worked for.
Scott called Zoey from the Sparkling Tassel strip club.
Zoey had been told the cops were on their way to break up Scott’s little entourage.

Zoey was let loose from the police station in the morning.
When she got home there were 3 boxes & a note by her front door.
She would be l
A.M.
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own, e-books
Fate, in the form of a knife blade stuck in a map, chose Moonshine Hollow as the place for Zoey to start over. She’s just been sacked from her law firm and starting a bakery in the small town is a major life pivot but she’s got the funds and the recipes.
She settles in well to small town life, but is accidentally witchified when she steps into her neighbours Agnes and Vilma’s yard unexpectedly.
“… Therefore, the man’s powers went to the nearest open object—your open, screaming mouth,” Vilma said
Dora
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Moonshine and Murder

Zoey Mathers was well on her way to making partner in the law firm where she worked, when her celebrity client calls her in a panic. He has violated the moral clause of the million dollar movie contract that he had just signed. Zoey tries to get him extricated from the strip joint where he was swinging naked from the stripper pole and crying that someone was trying to kill him. Zoey ends up the worse for wear as the prostitutes who had accompanied the celebrity had torn out a
Lynda
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries, e-books
Carol
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good read that is poorly edited

The book is humorous and fun, has a great plot, and a good storyline. I enjoyed reading it except for the poor editing. Editing involves more then just pressing spell check. There is a difference between the words shuttered and shuddered- even if it's spelled correctly if it's not the right word it isn't grammatically correct. There's also a difference between wearily and warily. Is lots of small words like an and I and some three letters words it's there's one t
Ess
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wanted so badly to give this book a five star rating but just a few things held me back.
Firstly I would have loved there to have been more content- I wish it had been longer and although I love quick reads that I can fly through, I felt like this may have been a little too quick.
Secondly, following the same notion as the first, I would have loved a more in-depth explanation and more insight into the Claritase and their history. It’s touched on nicely in the book, yes, but I feel it’s such an i
Harmony
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was ok
A love triangle. WHY?!?!

The female MC, Zoey, had zero chemistry with Deputy Luke. But hey, let's throw him into a love triangle with Slade. A man she had smokin' hot chemistry with! Oh and this might actually be a quadrangle since Luke seems to be involved with some woman named Ava. SIGH.

This is one of those annoying books where the author can't be bothered to describe the main character. I'm assuming she's pretty by the way the men act around her. Who knows though? We don't even know her age!

S
Jae
Aug 18, 2020 rated it liked it
This is the first book in the "Moonshine Hollow" series by Kathleen Brooks.

Zoey Mathers was an up and coming entertainment attorney whose career came crashing down when she attempted to extract one of her clients from a sketchy situation in an even sketchier club. Zoey takes the opportunity to follow her dream of becoming a baker. On a whim, she packs up and moves to Moonshine Hollow. Once she settles in and begins making friends and building her new business, Zoey realizes this is the best thin
Christy
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty good - worth reading

I give this 33/4 🌟 because the beginning is what drew me in - actually the synopsis and then the first pages. Lead female character Zoey Mathers has all she wants at her finger tips, the nice job at an LA lawfirm where she gets to handle high profile cases, nice luxury apartment. However, one night Zoey finds her in the wrong place wrong time situation and is arrested along with several other people.

Soon her lawfirm gets word of this and terminated her; feeling as th
Carol Evans
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Zoey’s life in LA fell apart dramatically in the most public and embarrassing way possible. And the scene in the book is funny, but this is a novella at just over 100 pages and it’s so fun that I don’t want to ruin any of it for you. Anyway, fate brings her to Moonshine Hollow, Tennessee where she sets up a bakery and honestly, her new life makes her happier than her old one ever did.

Zoey has a “family” in Moonshine Hollow and close friends and she’s feeling like her life is coming back together
Victory
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Incomplete book

I'm all for a good cliffhanger, but that was not the case here. The story just cut off and it felt like a gimmick to get the first part of the story for free and then charge me to purchase the remaining. This is one book split into parts and sold separately, not a series.
The main character was likeable, however basic facts are ignored to progress the story. Small town lawyer is breaking the law and the former lawyer doesn't point that out? Or the detective doesn't know how to inv
Andrea
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
It seemed like this book was never proofread.

The story started out a little fast, and the pace kept up through the whole book. The characters were run of the mill. Unfortunately, the author focused on sex a lot, and everyone seemed attracted to one another. There lacked a true, deep romance, which might come about later in the series. However, I was not really impressed with this first installment, so I doubt I will continue reading the series.

I enjoyed the pace and ease of reading, for to me th
Amanda Gilmore
Dec 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Overall Amanda score: A-
So this was a cute tiny series. I do feel that all three of these books could easily be one stand alone book. This series follows the story of Zoey and Slade. All three books. It reminded me a lot of the Black dagger brotherhood books by J.R. Ward (which are my all time favorite.)
Zoey is a good main character. Her story line is very well done and overall she is relatable.
Slade... He is perfect. So perfect. I am telling you right now he is straight out of a J.R. Ward boo
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Moonshine & Mischief (Moonshine Hollow #4)
  • Secrets, Spells & Murder (Little Shop of Spells, #1)
  • A Witch and The Whispering Woe (A Longview Mystery Book 1)
  • Last Call (Janet Black Mystery, #1)
  • Scent of a Killer (Ella Sweeting Aromatherapy #1)
  • Arsenic in the Azaleas (Lovely Lethal Gardens, #1)
  • A Deadly Delivery (A Psychic Cafe Mystery, #1)
  • Enter the Witch (Witches of Whisper Grove Book 1)
  • Witchin' Impossible (Witchin' Impossible Cozy Mysteries Book 1)
  • My First Murder (Mavis Davis Mysteries #1)
  • Hound on the Sound
  • Christmas Spirit (Prime Time Crime, #1)
  • Charm School (The Witches Three Cozy Mysteries, #1)
  • The Day the Witch Stood Still (Wilde & Witchy #1)
  • Witch You Wouldn't Believe (A Lemon Tea Cozy Mystery #1)
  • On the Rocks (Ruby Steele Cozy Mystery, #1)
  • Pit Perfect Murder (Barkside of the Moon #1)
  • Baskerville for the Bear (Thistlewood Star Mysteries #0.5)
Kathleen Brooks is a New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today bestselling author. Kathleen's stories are romantic suspense featuring strong female heroines, humor, and happily-ever-afters. Her Bluegrass, Bluegrass Brothers®, Forever Bluegrass®, and Shadows Landing Series feature small-town charm with quirky characters while her Women of Power Series shows that behind every sexy billionai ...more

Moonshine Hollow (4 books)
  • Moonshine & Malice (Moonshine Hollow #2)
  • Moonshine & Mayhem (Moonshine Hollow #3)
  • Moonshine & Mischief (Moonshine Hollow #4)