Start by marking “Fatal Reckoning (Fatal, #14)” as Want to Read:
Fatal Reckoning (Fatal, #14)

Fatal Reckoning

(Fatal #14)

10 hours, 8 minutes

When tragedy strikes, a cold case suddenly turns hot—and deadly

A peaceful morning is shattered when Washington Metro Police lieutenant Sam Holland’s beloved father succumbs to injuries from an unsolved shooting while on duty four years ago. As the community rallies around Sam and her family, one thing becomes crystal clear: her father’s death has turned
Audiobook, Harlequin Audio
Published March 26th 2019 by Harlequin Audio

To ask other readers questions about Fatal Reckoning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fatal Reckoning

Start your review of Fatal Reckoning (Fatal, #14)
Corina

Just by reading the blurb I knew this book would be a heart-breaker. And I’m not kidding when I say that I had tears in my eyes for the first few chapters.

The author doesn’t hide it (BLURB) that there will be a death in this book that will shake the entire Fatal family, from blood family to friends and colleges. The outpouring of love, and support was staggering and confirmed how much Sam’s Dad was beloved and how much the Fatal family sticks together – in good times and bad times.

I’m j
Jonetta
Lieutenant and Homicide Detective Samantha (Sam) Holland gets the call in the pre-dawn morning hours that everyone hopes to never get. It’s her stepmother, Celia, letting her know that her father, Skip Holland, is in medical crisis, forcing Sam to make one of the most painful decisions of her life. However, with his death comes a resurgence of attention to his shooting four years ago that almost killed him and left him a quadriplegic.

I’ve dreaded this story since the start of the series as Skip
Nicola
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

With love and loss right at the very heart of the story, Fatal Reckoning will put any fan of the Holland/Cappuano family through the ringer a little. But for all the moments that shred your heart, there are those which uplift as Sam and her team work on closing the case which has left a lasting impact on every single character we’ve grown to love: who shot Skip Holland.

description

To a degree, it feels like the end of an era and the dynamic of this series is bound to shift with the loss of such a
Mo
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This was a tough one. Eventhough I knew what was going to happen (I didn't want to know, as I HATE SPOILERS but it was on FB and seemingly the author had announced that it would happen on social media some time ago, but I must have missed it).

Sam had a sinking feeling that things were going to get worse before they got better ...

"Fuck you, you son of a bitch. You motherfucking rat bastard."

I love Sam and Nick. I especially love Sam. She is tough, loyal, a bit headstrong.

Was she allowe
Mei
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
In this book Sam finally solves the shooting that rendered her father an invalid and that brought him to death.

I think that this book is too much repetitive. I understand that the death of her father is a catastrophic event for her since during the previous books we could see how much they loved each other, but the constant stressing of how much they were near to each other, how much she's hurting, all the condolences she receives by everybody every two pages, how much everybody loved and respec
Diane
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG - what an emotional ride this book is! Marie you hit this one right out of the park - thank you! This book was written during a very difficult time for Marie, so I commend her on a job well done during such a heart wrenching time. A caution to readers - have your tissues ready.

From the blurb: When tragedy strikes, a cold case suddenly turns hot—and deadly

Ann
4.5 stars. Very emotional beginning and a truly sad loss for this series. Sam's eulogy was a tissue grabbing tear jerker. Once the suspense part of the story gears up, it's off and running like a freight train. Talk about a surprise page turner! Sam and this series's faithful readers get some "OMG, holy shit, are you freaking serious ?!?" final closure on several fronts.

Kept wondering if this would be the book that concluded Sam's law enforcement career in favor of time spent actually being wit
Evanne Lorraine
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, so many bombs and nothing to say that wouldn't include spoilers, except another great addition to my favorite Marie Force series. <3 ...more
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
Probably the most emotional of the series thus far! You'll need the tissues.
Cocktails and Books
OMG! Grab your kleenex and be prepared to breakdown into a sobbing mess at various points in this book.
Sandy
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely love this book. Each of her books in this series is better then the one before. Marie Force always keeps you wanting more.
Mags
Heart-wrenchingly superb, had a box of tissues ready and boy did I need them. But what a way to say goodbye to a much loved character. Would highly recommend, as this series just gets better and better!!
Anne - Books of My Heart
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from Publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

The Fatal series is one of the best in the romantic suspense genre, with the same couple throughout all the books.  There is significant story around their friends and family.   The point of view is primarily Sam's, who is a homicide lieutenant in Washington DC.  Her father used to be Chief Deputy but was shot four y
Jaime Reynolds
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish there was a five plus star rating because this story deserves it. Hands down one of the best stories I will read this year. Sam and Nick are two of my favorites characters and Marie does not disappoint with this story. Between ugly cries and gasps of disbelief I could not put this book down. It’s a must read and in my opinion her best book to date. You will feel everything while reading so I recommend a box of tissues and a glass of wine.
Sheri Morell
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the best book in the series hands down which is saying something since I love everything about this series. It will make you cry and laugh at the same time.
Going to miss skip being a big part of this series but understand it was time all the same.
Fran
The first book I've read and finished in almost a month! #adulting
Angela
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read from Marie Force. I have to confess this is my favourite series from the author. The characters are so well developed and the storylines seem to flow seemlessly from one book to the next. I confess to a few tears with this book as Sam's dad, Skip, passes from the injuries he sustained whilst on the job. This was a tough one, even though I knew it was going to happen. Marie didn't hide it, you knew there would be a death in the book. Still very emotional and his death is a very ...more
Tina Bridwell
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chapter one grabs your heart!!

Chapter one grabs your heart and squeezes it till the epilogue. I had to put the book down so I could wipe my tears and blow my nose. I had to stop reading just to remind myself to breath. I, too, have lost my dad and sixteen years later I still cry. What an amazing emotional roller coaster ride. They’re really aren’t too many book characters out there like Sam and Nick.
Kathryn
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
Another wonderful addition to the series.
Willard Thompson
Fatal Reckoning
By Marie Force

Fatal Reckoning is the 14th book in Marie Force's Fatal Series. Currently, 97% of over 400 reviewers on Amazon have awarded the book five stars. I found this book to be a huge disappointment, and could not understand how my analysis could be so wildly different from the 97% of her readers who awarded five stars.
Briefly, without any spoilers, here is the simple plot: Police detective lieutenant Samantha (Sam) Holland Capputano's father, Skip Holland, dies from wounds
Lynn
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sam is awakened by a frantic, early morning phone call from her stepmother. Sam's father, Skip, who has suffered the trials and tribulations of being a quadriplegic ever since he was gunned down four years ago, has passed away in his sleep. Sam not only feels grief over the loss of her father, but she is more determined than ever to once again pursue the cold case of her father's shooting now that it has been classified as a homicide. When she begins to once again trace leads in her father's cas ...more
Anne
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I love the Fatal Series, but I was a disappointed in this book.

IMO, there was too much time spent on the death and funeral of Skip Holland. It was a lot of repetitious dialog and action. We heard over and over and over again how he loved Sam, how he was a great cop, it was terrible what happened to him, how is Sam holding up.

His death definitely had an impact on our protagonist, but it was so repetitious. It didn't add to the story to keep repeating the same condolences time and time a
Allison
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

Loved the booked, cried when Sam lost her dad . Was happy sam and her family finally got closer on her father's case
Erin Lewis
5 Star Review of Fatal Reckoning (Fatal # 14) by Marie Force

Since this is book 14 in the series, there is always the concern that the books could get repetitive, nothing could be further than the truth. I do not believe that anyone new to these books would have trouble following the story, however I would encourage you to go back and read the previous books as and when you have time.

This was one of those books I was riveted to from start to finish, I didn't want to put it down as I found myse
⚜️Trea
In my entire time of reading this series, I've only ever rated a book in it 5 stars one time, the very first novella! Since then, the books have been on a roller coaster of 3 and 4 star reads, until now! This installment has become my favorite in the series! It was extremely poignant, and electrifying all at the same time!

It was interesting to see how Sam handled the events of this book, and how it affected everyone around her. There were some long reaching repercussions for the department in th
Paraphrodite
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
3.5 stars.

I haven't cried so much reading a book for a while. I think it hit too close to home for me. Ms Force also lost her father whilst writing this so I think it's understandable the emphasis was on how Sam process the death of Skip.

The resolution of Skip's unsolved case is quite explosive to everyone involved but the new "leads" felt a bit forced to me. Overall, I did enjoy this latest addition to the series, tears notwithstanding.
Paraphrodite
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, listened
3.5 stars.

When I read this book last year, I think it just hit too close to home. This time around, I think I was able to be a bit more analytical and I have to say, (view spoiler).

Again, I think it's the inter-relationships of the characters in this ser
Pamela Small
This series continues to be consistently thrilling and enjoyable!
Every. Single. Installment.

The storyline is interesting and solid- no holes or loose ends. Exciting and explosive, it is a quick and easy read.
The well developed, dynamic characters stay true to characterization and drive the narrative. The author has developed them into endearing, “real” characters.

Word of caution, this is not a stand alone. The storylines of each book in the series are developed throughout the series, offerin
Karina
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sam’s beloved dad Skip passes away and Sam is left reeling and more determined than ever to finally bring to justice Skip’s killer.

From start to finish, Fatal Reckoning was very heartfelt and emotional and the discoveries Sam and her team make along the way in trying to solve who shot Skip were mind boggling, and to me as a long time reader of the series, I also felt that sense of betrayal. It just takes you on a roller coaster ride of emotions: from sadness to numbness, to anger, and acceptance
Maggie Bell
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not a crier but this book legitimately had me bawling for a few chapters (to the point my dog came over to make sure I was ok). It starts out with Sam losing her Dad with Nick across the ocean. I knew it was coming from the preview, but it still hit hard.

Sam being Sam decides to continue to work her dads cold case, which is now a homicide. Dealing with her profound grief, she digs deeply into an investigation that has many more twists and turns than I ever expected. There are deep-rooted,
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Operation Midnight  (Cutter's Code #1)
  • Operation Reunion  (Cutter's Code #2)
  • Outrageous (Quantum, #7)
  • Your Love Is Mine (Maine Sullivans, #1; The Sullivans, #19)
  • Operation Hero's Watch (Cutter's Code Book 10)
  • Operation Unleashed (Cutter's Code, #4)
  • There Goes My Heart (Maine Sullivans, #2; The Sullivans, #20)
  • Operation Alpha (Cutter's Code #8)
  • Ravenous (Quantum, #5)
  • Delirious (Quantum, #6)
  • Operation Blind Date  (Cutter's Code, #3)
  • Operation Power Play (Cutter's Code, #5)
  • Operation Notorious (Cutter's Code)
  • Operation Soldier Next Door (Cutter's Code #7)
  • Jayden (Heroes at Heart #5)
  • The Viper (COBRA Securities #15)
  • As Long As I Have You (London Sullivans #1)
  • Nothing to Hide (Lucy Kincaid #15)
Marie Force is the New York Times bestselling author of contemporary romance, romantic suspense and erotic romance. Her series include Gansett Island, Fatal, Treading Water, Butler Vermont and Quantum.

Her books have sold nearly 10 million copies worldwide, have been translated into more than a dozen languages and have appeared on the New York Times bestseller more than 30 times. She is also a USA

Fatal (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Fatal Affair (Fatal, #1)
  • Fatal Justice (Fatal, #2)
  • Fatal Consequences (Fatal, #3)
  • Fatal Flaw (Fatal, #4)
  • Fatal Deception (Fatal, #5)
  • Fatal Mistake (Fatal, #6)
  • Fatal Jeopardy (Fatal, #7)
  • Fatal Scandal (Fatal, #8)
  • Fatal Frenzy (Fatal, #9)
  • Fatal Identity (Fatal, #10)