Start by marking “La maison des oubliés” as Want to Read:
La maison des oubliés

La maison des oubliés

(House on Cold Hill #1)

Le déménagement dans ce manoir charmant, en haut de la colline, devait être le point de départ pour une nouvelle vie. Après des années passées dans la banlieue de Brighton, Ollie Harcourt ne pouvait rêver mieux qu'une existence paisible à la campagne. Le reste de la famille suit d'un pas hésitant, mais ne rechigne pas pour autant à cette nouvelle aventure.
Cependant, peu
Paperback, FLEUVE EDITIONS , 341 pages
Published March 7th 2019 (first published 2015)

Start your review of La maison des oubliés
Johann (jobis89)
Ollie and Caro Harcourt move into a huge, dilapidated Georgian mansion with their daughter Jade. The move will place a substantial financial strain on the family, but Ollie thinks it is the perfect place to settle down out in the country. Very quickly after moving in, Jade’s friend spots a presence in the background while on FaceTime – but there are other residents in this house, and as the history of the house is unravelled, the forces start to become more malevolent.

I had so many issues with
Gary
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent ghost story from the talented Peter James.
This is a well written ghost story that makes it's mark in the first chapter and keeps going right to the end.I am not a big fan of this genre but love the writing of Peter James and that's why I read it. This is not a gory book but certainly at times creepy and intriguing.

Oliver Harcourt moves into Cold Hill House with his solicitor wife, Caro and twelve year old daughter, Jade. Having spent all the families money on this dream house they
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-author, audio
4.5 stars - Super creepy and perfect for Halloween a nerve jangling ghost story set in modern day - I love Peter James's style whether he is doing detective (Roy Grace series is highly recommended) or paranormal like this one - he is so easy to read.
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
This took me too long to read because it's really just not good. I feel bad because I really wanted to like it and be a big Peter James fan but maybe this was not the book to start out with. Really predictable plot line with borrowed imagery and twists from other horror books/movies I've seen or read. The character names were driving me nuts. Like the first and last names starting with the same letters, there were at least 4 of those--it was noticeable. Lots of Name brand dropping too like ...more
Christine
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The House on Cold Hill is a supernatural tale, by acclaimed author Peter James. It is a modern update of the classic haunted house story.

The Harcourt family move from Hove to the beautiful Sussex countryside. Ollie is establishing his website building business and Caro is a solicitor working in Brighton. They have bought Cold Hill House, a mansion in need of lots of tender loving care. It is their dream, escaping to the country. Caro, Ollie and their daughter, Jade soon find strange things
Sabrine
Feb 02, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so bad it annoys me to think so many copies were sold.
It is shallow, boring and has no purpose. It is not scary, nor spooky, nor anything really.
It is a mass market writer masterpiece of crap.
The characters are boring, the story is boring. I don't even know why I am writing a review. I had to read it at work and thank god I did on my work time and not at home.
Terrible, keep away from this I beg you.
Jules
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Why did I waste my time reading this book?!!!I seem to be in the minority here but I was just glad in the end it had only taken me 2 days to read it!
I have never read Peter James before but I love a good ghost story & I knew this author was popular. However the whole story was just so "in your face" it was a total turn off. From the product placement which ran all through the book & detracted from the plot (an attempt to cover up a lack of prose & descriptive narration?) to the
Dana ****Reads Alot****
Imagine buying the home of your dreams and and wanting to start a new chapter in your life as this family did, Ollie, Caro and their teenager Jade. Imagine sinking every penny in your dream home because everything is simply going wrong and becoming a money pit you can't escape because your last dime is spent on renovations and you have a ghost that does not want you there nor does not want you to leave. Making sure your life is turned upside down at every corner.

This book was so hard to put
Susan
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author Peter James is best known for his crime novels, but somehow these had passed me by and so I had no expectations when I began this, stand alone, ghost story. Now I know that I must go back and explore this author’s previous work, as this deliciously creepy book kept me gripped throughout.

Oliver Harcout has just started his own web business, when he moves into Cold Hill House with his solicitor wife, Caro and twelve year old daughter, Jade. They have thrown all their money into this dream
Ken
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been avidly reading James ‘Roy Grace’ crime series pretty much from the beginning, so I’m always curious to try he’s other stories.
This modern day ghost story instantly appealed.

The story follows Ollie, he’s wife Caro and 12 year old daughter Jade as the move from the city of Brighton and Hove to the Sussex countryside.
It’s fun to see the family adapting to their new surroundings in the dilapidated Georgian house.
It has all the elements you’d expect with this type of story.

Not entirely
Andy Weston
Peter James treads no new ground with this haunted house ghost story. I have not read him before, but understand it's a change for him to move away from police proceedurals. He should return there.

The skeleton of the story (pardon the pun) is harmless and vaguely entertaining but it is so similar to many that have gone before, and quite predictable. Perhaps an offence to the king and queen of haunted house tales, Poe with Usher, and Shirley Jackson's Haunting of Hill House.

My real area of
Joseph - Relax And Read Reviews
Having read and loved other books by Peter James, I was really looking forward to read his newest one 'The House on Cold Hill'. I knew this was a ghost story and therefore quite different from the books I usually read, but this time round I wanted to read something spooky.

This is essentially a typical haunted house story in a modern setting in which an unsuspecting family goes to live in a grand old house, upsetting the resident ghost/s in the process. The story kicks off in quite a promising,
Miss Jools
Oct 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, horror-ghosts
1 star - did not like it.

I didn't have high expectations for this book; I was anticipating a quick, spooky read for October. What I got was a quick, rubbish read.

This book has so many elements I dislike - phoney dialogue (darling darling darling - who does that?) and brand names hurled around. I mean, who cares what brand your coffee machine is? What type of vacuum cleaner you use?

The main character is incredibly dense. He is apparently a web designer who KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT COMPUTERS? He buys
Rosie Wedge
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite novels by James! He takes his flare for writing mysteries, and puts it into a paranormal setting, which for me is a bonus! I found the tale chilling, and have since re-read it, and still got the same chill even though I expected the events! Such a great twist to the story at the end; a fantastic spooky book to read at night or during Halloween season!
Jan
Oct 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was five stars all the way until....................................................
This was the kind of book I always loved to read, one I could not wait to return to, not over run with swearing, no graphic blood an guts, a real ghost story and it was excellent until the end. What happened? It all came to a rushed conclusion and an unsatisfactory one at that. There were glaring holes, things I wanted to know and a complicated mish mash of tying this book up. I was deflated. The story
John Hughes
Oct 30, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No resolution, no coherence, plot elements abandoned by the country road as even the kitchen sink gets thrown at the increasingly frustrated reader. Boo! Hiss....
Julie Lacey
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book as I’m going to see the play next week and wanted to see how creepy it was.
It’s a great ghost story which had me slightly spooked!
I’m not a big fan of this genre but love Peter James so was intrigued by this story.
Ollie moves into Cold Hill House with his wife, Caro and twelve year old daughter, Jade. Having spent all the families money on this dream house they plan to refurbish it and make it their home.
Someone has other plans though.....
Strange things happen in the house
Christine
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
“They said the dead can’t hurt you … they were wrong.”

Whoa! Anyone who has been following my reviews knows that I have a self proclaimed and always ongoing quest to find a really good ghost story. There have been contenders, close calls and some that actually make the list. “The House on Cold Hill” most certainly makes the list!

Ollie and Caro Harcourt and Jade, their twelve-year-old daughter, move to Cold Hill, a small village within commuting distance to Brighton. Their new home, an old
Annerlee
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book sets out to bring the traditional ghost story bang up to date. It takes well-known haunted house elements and sticks a modern-day family in the midst of them. A family moves into an old mansion complete with ghost(s), taking their modern technology with them (Apple Mac, Ipad, email, facebook, remote working, mobile phones etc etc)

This was all well and good... but it didn't really work for me.

Why not? Well... the ancient ghost has no problem sending texts, emails and screen messages..
Cindy Newton
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
There's nothing I love more than a good haunted house tale, but unfortunately, this was not one. The story is one of a family--Ollie, Caro, and their daughter, Jade--who buy the house because Ollie has a hankering to live in the country. He wants it so badly, in fact, that he can't be bothered to read all of the home inspector's report, which basically says that the house is a deathtrap that needs to be condemned. Instead, Ollie moves in, visions of the income from his startup website-design ...more
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Even though I have some of the authors books already on my kindle I haven't actually got round to reading them yet but after reading The House On Cold Hill I will certainly be bumping them up my list.

Probably one of the best horror books of 2015 I can honestly say I loved this book. With jaw dropping moments and a story that sent chills up and down my spine, this is an absolute must read for horror fans.

The location of where Cold Hill house is situated sounds very idyllic and even though the
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The writing was good but the story was the same-old-same-old: Family moves into big, dilapidated old house. One of them thinks they see something in the window on the first day. Must be imagining. Family proceeds with moving in. Everything goes wrong and there is creepy occurrence after creepy occurrence. Oh no, house is haunted. But we can't leave, too much money invested. I need not go on, you get the gist. It's just your typical run-of-the-mill haunted house ghost story. Nothing new, and ...more
Jane Myers
Was really looking forward to this but so disappointed. Peter James wa a good horror writer before he moved into thrillers but this was so childish and not in the least bit frightening. Used same ideas as in an early horror with messages appearing on the computer screen. No explanation of the ghosts, what had happened in the secret room, why the ghosts were after this family. Wish I could have the time back I wasted on reading this. Honestly surprises to read the reviews saying how good this was ...more
Christie
Nov 08, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge fan of Peter James 'Roy Grace' series. This book is a standalone ghost/ supernatural story. It started well but I found it a huge disappointment. It just did not work for me. I read it in a couple of days as it is such a light/ undemanding read. I hope Peter James sticks to crime novels in future.
Marna
Apr 04, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Started well and then went down hill, became boring and the ending very predictable with no background as to why the events were occurring just a passing mention
David Reviews
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The House On Cold Hill is a very well written ghost story that will haunt your imagination for a few hours and keep you in its grip. It has a shocking start and then gets creepy and twisted. A terrific ghostly horror story this is recommended and well worth reading if that's what rocks your boat. It certainly rocked mine.

This modern chilling tale has the required old haunted house and previous owners with a chequered history. An evil entity from the past lurks in the shadows, but it's happy to
Sharon Williams
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
omg !!!!! loved this book the best book in a long time. I seriously never wanted to put the thing down I was really upset it finished would make a great film. will definitely read more of his have only read one before perfect people and these two books were very different would very highly recommend.
Katarzyna F
A nice King-alike plot, perfect for reading just for pleasure.
Rebecca
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally reviewed on http://beccasbooooks.blogspot.co.uk/2...

People always seem surprised when I tell them of my love for horror, and to be honest, I always find it surprising myself, how swiftly I can switch from swooning over a dashing hero to running my hands through my hair frantically at a pinnacle point in a gripping horror. I guess everybody has a dark side, and this is mine.

I think it pretty much started back in school when I happened to come across my school library's collection of
Actual rating is 1.5 stars

This was the first book I have read by Peter James. I'm aware that he has written an acclaimed crime fiction series and I can only hope that those books are better than this, his first foray into the paranormal genre. I had high hopes for this going in, but it proved to be a very disappointing read overall. Although I hate to say it, I thought the writing was poor. There was no atmosphere, no tension, the characters were little more than cardboard outs (and unlikeable,
Kindle English My...: The House on Cold Hill by Peter James 4 38 Sep 29, 2015 05:37AM

• The Haunting of Lannister Hall
  • Through the Wall
  • Raisons obscures
  • L'Empathie
  • Mistletoe
  • Woman in the Water (DS Imogen Grey, #6)
  • The Family
  • The Sacred Spoils (Rossi & Nero Thrillers #1)
  • Their Little Secret (Tom Thorne, #16)
  • The Knock
  • The Twelve Strange Days of Christmas (An Essex Witch Museum Mystery)
  • Brodmaw Bay
  • Ryan's Christmas (DCI Ryan Mysteries #15)
Peter James is a UK No. 1 bestselling author, best known for writing crime and thriller novels, and the creator of the much-loved Detective Superintendent Roy Grace. With a total of 13 Sunday Times No. 1s under his belt, he has achieved global book sales of over 19 million copies to date, and has been translated into 37 languages.

Synonymous with plot-twisting page-turners, Peter has garnered an

House on Cold Hill (2 books)
  • The Secret of Cold Hill (House on Cold Hill, #2)
“The history of the human race doesn’t make happy reading, does it? I’ve seen a lot of sadness during my time, but I’ve seen seen a lot of things that have kept my faith in humanity alive too. If there were no bad things in the world, we’d have nothing to measure the good against, would we? The light can only shine in darkness.” 2 likes