Start by marking “Dangerous Alliance: An Austentacious Romance” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Alliance: An Austentacious Romance

Dangerous Alliance: An Austentacious Romance

The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue meets Jane Austen in this witty, winking historical romance with a dash of mystery!

Lady Victoria Aston has everything she could want: an older sister happily wed, the future of her family estate secure, and ample opportunity to while her time away in the fields around her home.

But now Vicky must marry—or find herself and her
Published December 3rd 2019 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Alliance, please sign up.
Jennieke Cohen Yes! DANGEROUS ALLIANCE is a standalone. :D

Start your review of Dangerous Alliance: An Austentacious Romance
Alexa
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dangerous Alliance scratched an itch I didn't know I had for a Jane Austen-esque YA historical romance. This book is if every Jane Austen novel plus Vanity Fair had a baby. It's set in 1817, so Jane Austen herself has published all but her last two novels (Northanger Abbey and Persuasion), and the main character, Victoria "Vicky" Aston is a massive fan. When disgrace befalls her family, she must participate in the Season to find a wealthy husband to save her family's estate. Reluctant but ...more
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Dangerous Alliance was an enchanting, heart warming and enthralling mix of history, romance, and mystery. With charming comparisons to some of Jane Austen's most famous novels and characters, it truly was a delight to read.

With engaging characters, a wonderful old world English setting, and a mystery that will keep you on your toes, I couldn't read this one fast enough. I devoured every single page and was sad when it was over because I wasn't ready to say goodbye.

*ARC provided by the
TL
Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 stars..

Had fun with it at first but it grew tired of it after awhile. Continued mainly because I was curious.
Some of the action near the end parts felt over the top to me and had me rolling my eyes rather than gripping the pages.

Still glad I tried to step out of my comfort zone even though this ended up Meh for me in the end.
Mellie Antoinette
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The most adorable Austen foray since 1813!! Property squabbles, boy troubles, , and such scandalous talk of divorce!

It’s a bit of modern take on Austen though as we also have murder, mayhem and boxing matches, none of which our Lady Authoress would dream of portraying. After all, this is a woman who dreamed up Mr. Collins. If anyone’s throwing a punch around here, it’s gonna be Lady Catherine de Bourgh.

Total escapist fiction. I must now go watch P+P for the umpteenth time!
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: Dangerous Alliance
Author: Jennieke Cohen
Release date: December 3, 2019
Cliffhanger: No
Genre: historical romance

“You’re not like Mr. Darcy. And I wouldn’t have you be. You’re you. And I wouldn’t trade you for a dozen perfect gentlemen. The reality of you is far better than any fiction.”

This was such a fun, quirky book! When I read in the synopsis that the heroine is a book lover, more specifically that she is obsessed with Jane Austen, I knew she was a girl after my own heart. Not only did
The Nerd Daily
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Nathalie DeFelice

Jane Austen seems to be what my books are pointing me toward lately if my latest read is anything to go by. Dangerous Alliance is a fun novel about a young woman who seeks advice from her favourite Austen novels, when she unwittingly becomes a damsel in distress in her own story. Lots of fun banter, roguish characters, and a hero who can’t quite be ruled out as a villain yet await! Don’t hesitate to pick this up, especially if
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC received in exchange for an honest review - thank you!

I feel super dispirited right now... not many YA books seem to be holding my attention lately. This is the third ARC within the space of a few days that I think I'll have to DNF.

I'm utterly unimpressed by her stupidity. She ends up slamming her head on the ground for the SECOND time in FIVE MINUTES because she didn't move out of the way of someone who's randomly attacked her. She also doesn't seem to be demonstrating the appropriate
Stacee
I loved this premise and sadly, I was quite disappointed.

I liked Victoria well enough. She means well, but comes across as very young and spoiled. Tom had potential, but fell flat for me. I did like the sisters of both main characters.

Plot wise, it was very dense and slow. There were loads of plot threads and not all of them were needed. My main complaint is that I never actually saw the relationship progress; 3/4 of the way through the story and the male love interest still didn’t know what
Samantha Hastings
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you love Jane Austen’s books, Jennieke Cohen will be your new favorite author. Dangerous Alliance is the perfect combination of mystery, intriguing characters, surprising action, and delightful romance. I couldn’t put it down!!! I read it in one night!

What I loved :
1. Lady Victoria Aston is not your typical damsel in distress, every time she is in danger, she uses her wits to fight back. She’s optimistic, loyal, brave, out-spoken, and utterly charming. She’s definitely a feminist protagonist
Lisa
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2019
Half mystery, half romance, I loved it all. All the fun of Georgian England PLUS Jane Austen references. I really appreciated the author’s research into the particulars of the time - it added so much to the story.
Shima
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Throughout extremely lucky circumstances I got my hands on half a dozen pre-release books. Some of which I'd been waiting for months to read, this wasn't one of those. I hadn't heard of the book or the writer. While I do like historical fiction, I only read romance in very rare and specific circumstances. All in all, the chances would have been slim for me to pick this book up, especially since the synopsis does not do the book justice. It would have been a big loss.

The book begins when Vicky's
Oldřiška
2.5-3* TW: (view spoiler)

I anticipated this book for quite a while. I love Jane Austen and there is not enough current books that are set in the Regency era, and have a similar feel like the books from that time. The beginning of Dangerous Alliance was fantastic, it really felt like reading Austen with a dash of novelty.

I was excited that the book has multiple perspective narrative, but the more I read, the more I realized that
Breanna
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
THIS REVIEW & MORE Paws and Paperbacks

ARC received through #booksfortrade on Twitter.

Dangerous Alliance was absolutely DELIGHTFUL. I had such a fun time reading this book! It was witty, smart, full of romance and a little dash of mystery. I’m a huge fan of reading Regency romances, so the fact that this is a YA historical novel coming tropes of a Regency romance + Jane Austen elements + an actual mystery? This was a combination I never knew I needed in my life but I completely devoured this
Sophia
What could be more delightful than a mingling of Regency era manners, mystery, and a heroine who fangirls over Jane Austen? I was prepared to be enchanted and I was not disappointed.

Dangerous Alliance opens with a young lady, Lady Victoria Aston, on the cusp of her coming out living on her family's country estate content to help her father with estate matters, read her favorite novels by a certain Miss Jane Austen, and dream of being a character in one of those novels. Her musings are rudely
Sheena ☆ Oh, the Sheenanigans!

This was disappointing to say the least. Vicky, the Jane Austen enthusiast who one day hopes to find her very own Mr. Darcy was dull along with being too childish for my taste to believe she could follow in Lizzy footsteps from "Pride and Prejudice" to solve all her problems and the barely speaking hero who I've often times forgot was the actual hero, Tom, was forgettable and lacked any depth. Honestly it would've been better just to cut him out of the equation and leave out dear Mr.
TheYALibrarian
Leah
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hall-of-fame
To all the other books who claim to be a love letter to Jane Austen: sit down before you embarrass yourselves. This book has you all beat and then some.

See my full review at Write, Read, Repeat.

As a big fan of Jane Austen, I'm usually uneasy whenever I pick up a book that features a main character who is just as inspired by her works. Ninety-nine percent of them are modern, contemporary retellings where the main character tries to apply the books to her life. It only succeeds in coming off as
Lindsay (pawsomereads)
Nov 08, 2019 marked it as to-read
I can completely see this book having allll the witty banter, so obviously I need it
Kester Grant
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, hist-fiction
I gulped this delicious book down in one sitting - and stayed up far longer than I should have. As a lover of georgette heyer's regency romances I enjoyed the depth to the delightful regency frothyness that strikes a chord - with its detailed issues of divorce and physical abuse. also as a hardened hist romance/mystery reader i was sure i knew the outcome of the mystery, but i was completely blindsided by the perp! I sincerely hope there's a sequel in which Mr C gets a starring role.
Sami
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Can we make Regency Murder Mysteries a YA trend? Filled with swoonworthy suitors, devious deceptions, and some astute commentary on gender politics, Dangerous Alliance checks every box I have for a truly delightful historical novel. Fans of Cindy Anstey will go crazy for this.
Fanna
Dangerous Alliance brings together social conflicts and romantic storyline to a table of Georgian countryside English settings. It weaves a young female's life to her duty as a daughter and the love for her sister, with an emotionally affected male love interest—who is a well-developed character himself—own anticipations and tops it all with a hint of mystery and awkward romance.

Consider reading this review on my blog! Also, enter the giveaway to win one of two copies of Dangerous Alliance

Annie ⚜️
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
It was like a Jane Austen if they were action packed. It was a thoroughly enjoyable homage to Austen’s work.
Kathy Martin
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lady Victoria Aston has what looks like an ideal life. She has a happily wed older sister and doting parents. However, things are not quite as they seem. When she is rescued from an attack by a childhood friend she hasn't seen since they were young, it appears that trouble is coming her way. And then her older sister arrives home on the run from her abusive husband. The only way to prevent her husband - Lord Dain - from eventually owning her family's estate is for Vicky to marry.

She and her
Eileen (BookCatPin)
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
The moment I saw the cover and read the synopsis of Dangerous Alliance I knew it would be a book for me. At just over 400 pages it's a fast read with plenty of Jane Austen references as it promises.

I enjoyed Dangerous Alliance a lot. The writing felt within the time period with appropriate dialogues and believable events. What I found lacking was the mystery. It kept me absorbed until the big reveal which turned out to be so simple it shouldn't have taken 400 pages to discover. I had hoped it
Debbie
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jaff, i-own-it
3.5 rounded up to 4 stars

Review to come on 12/30/19 at www.austenprose.com
Jacqueline Firkins
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to read an ARC of Dangerous Alliance, diving full speed into Regency England and a tale of damsels in distress, dashing heroes with impeccable timing, and dastardly villains so evil one can almost imagine a moustache being twisted over a wry sneer. The book has everything a lover of the genre could want, with its careening carriages, kidnappings, balls, and duels, all set up to support a central love story that parallels Pride and Prejudice. Cohen adds her own unique flourishes, ...more
Lillie Lainoff
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm exhausted today – why, you ask? Well, I stayed up all night reading an early copy of Dangerous Alliance because I couldn't put it down!
This book has so many wonderful components that it would be impossible to list them all. Here's just a few: Vicky (the MC)'s strong, distinct voice is a pleasure to read. Her personal strengths are so closely tied with her flaws (in my opinion one of the best signs of a well-developed character). The fierce, sisterly love is believable and authentic, and the
Laura Namey
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got to review an early copy of this book and my Jane Austen heart is so happy! I wish I’d had this as a teen! Wonderful pacing, twists and turns, beautifully drawn characters, and lovely prose make this a win win win!
Cindee
I really loved this book so much I am not one for classic books but it seems I like books expired by them the romance was so great I loved everything about this book. I absolutely loved the characters especially Vicky,Tom, and Althea. What I loved about Althea is how strong she becomes she really overcomes all that she had suffered I really loved her. What I loved about Vicky is how do things on her own and to be her own person and how she can be as important as any man I am glad she admits when ...more
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Damn...this is a perfect period piece for me when I need a break. Good old love triangle but NOT with a pair of brothers (I'm as shocked as you). I love the sisters. I want to reach through the book and high five their father so damn much. A period piece where dad isn't sexist as fuck...
description
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Pure Heart
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Hearts, Strings, and Other Breakable Things
  • Pet
  • Woven in Moonlight
  • Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)
  • I Love You So Mochi
  • We Speak in Storms
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • His Hideous Heart
  • The Next to Last Mistake
  • Jagger Jones and the Mummy's Ankh
  • The Orchid Throne (Forgotten Empires, #1)
  • If You're Out There
  • The True History of Lyndie B. Hawkins
  • Eclipse the Skies (Ignite the Stars, #2)
  • Scars Like Wings
  • Good Girls Lie
Jennieke Cohen (JEN-ih-kah CO-en) is used to people mispronouncing her name and tries to spare her fictional characters the same problem. Jennieke writes historical fiction for young adults inspired by real people and events because life is often stranger than fiction. She studied English history at Cambridge University and has a master’s degree in professional writing from the University of ...more