Start by marking “Dangerous Alliance: An Austentacious Romance” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Alliance: An Austentacious Romance

Dangerous Alliance: An Austentacious Romance

The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue meets Jane Austen in this witty, winking historical romance with a dash of mystery!

Lady Victoria Aston has everything she could want: an older sister happily wed, the future of her family estate secure, and ample opportunity to while her time away in the fields around her home.

But now Vicky must marry—or find herself and her famil
Expected publication: December 3rd 2019 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Alliance, please sign up.
Jennieke Cohen Yes! DANGEROUS ALLIANCE is a standalone. :D

Alexa
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dangerous Alliance scratched an itch I didn't know I had for a Jane Austen-esque YA historical romance. This book is if every Jane Austen novel plus Vanity Fair had a baby. It's set in 1817, so Jane Austen herself has published all but her last two novels (Northanger Abbey and Persuasion), and the main character, Victoria "Vicky" Aston is a massive fan. When disgrace befalls her family, she must participate in the Season to find a wealthy husband to save her family's estate. Reluctant but determ ...more
Lisa
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, arc
Half mystery, half romance, I loved it all. All the fun of Georgian England PLUS Jane Austen references. I really appreciated the author’s research into the particulars of the time - it added so much to the story.
Shima
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Throughout extremely lucky circumstances I got my hands on half a dozen pre-release books. Some of which I'd been waiting for months to read, this wasn't one of those. I hadn't heard of the book or the writer. While I do like historical fiction, I only read romance in very rare and specific circumstances. All in all, the chances would have been slim for me to pick this book up, especially since the synopsis does not do the book justice. It would have been a big loss.

The book begins when Vicky's
Kester Grant
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, hist-fiction
I gulped this delicious book down in one sitting - and stayed up far longer than I should have. As a lover of georgette heyer's regency romances I enjoyed the depth to the delightful regency frothyness that strikes a chord - with its detailed issues of divorce and physical abuse. also as a hardened hist romance/mystery reader i was sure i knew the outcome of the mystery, but i was completely blindsided by the perp! I sincerely hope there's a sequel in which Mr C gets a starring role.
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC received in exchange for an honest review - thank you!

I feel super dispirited right now... not many YA books seem to be holding my attention lately. This is the third ARC within the space of a few days that I think I'll have to DNF.

I'm utterly unimpressed by her stupidity. She ends up slamming her head on the ground for the SECOND time in FIVE MINUTES because she didn't move out of the way of someone who's randomly attacked her. She also doesn't seem to be demonstrating the appropriate
Jacqueline Firkins
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to read an ARC of Dangerous Alliance, diving full speed into Regency England and a tale of damsels in distress, dashing heroes with impeccable timing, and dastardly villains so evil one can almost imagine a moustache being twisted over a wry sneer. The book has everything a lover of the genre could want, with its careening carriages, kidnappings, balls, and duels, all set up to support a central love story that parallels Pride and Prejudice. Cohen adds her own unique flourishes, ...more
Lillie Lainoff
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm exhausted today – why, you ask? Well, I stayed up all night reading an early copy of Dangerous Alliance because I couldn't put it down!
This book has so many wonderful components that it would be impossible to list them all. Here's just a few: Vicky (the MC)'s strong, distinct voice is a pleasure to read. Her personal strengths are so closely tied with her flaws (in my opinion one of the best signs of a well-developed character). The fierce, sisterly love is believable and authentic, and the
Laura Namey
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got to review an early copy of this book and my Jane Austen heart is so happy! I wish I’d had this as a teen! Wonderful pacing, twists and turns, beautifully drawn characters, and lovely prose make this a win win win!
Samantha Hastings
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you love Jane Austen’s books, Jennieke Cohen will be your new favorite author. Dangerous Alliance is the perfect combination of mystery, intriguing characters, surprising action, and delightful romance. I couldn’t put it down!!! I read it in one night!

What I loved 🖤🖤🖤:
1. Lady Victoria Aston is not your typical damsel in distress, every time she is in danger, she uses her wits to fight back. She’s optimistic, loyal, brave, out-spoken, and utterly charming. She’s definitely a feminist protagoni
Gina
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book gave me the most serious case of "book hangover" I've ever had!

I got to read an early copy of this book and when I finished it, I legitimately missed the characters and their world. I was hooked from the first page. Vicky is the kind of heroine I really rooted for and could relate to, which can be hard to come by in some YA books. AND THE LOVE INTERESTS are swoonworthy. I won't spoil anything, but if you love everything Jane Austen (and even if you've never read a single one of her boo
Jason B
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Was lucky enough to read a pre-released copy and I was thoroughly delighted. I found all of the characters to be witty and charming, thought that the story was engaging, very historically accurate, and it all still seemed to reflect modern themes that I dealt with when I was younger. I'd highly recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of Austen, historical intrigue, or anyone who just likes an enjoyable read. :)
Beth  Rose
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Austen Fans

Her life was looking less and less like one of Miss Austen's novels and more and more like an utter mess.

3.5 out of 5 stars

Review copy provided by the publisher through Edelweiss.
Read this review on my blog!

Now that her elder sister has married, Lady Victoria Aston is free to enjoy her idyllic country manor lifestyle knowing that the family estate has been secured. With her sister in London and her once exiled best friend avoiding her, Vicky spends her time roaming their estate in a stolen pai
Sarah Perchikoff
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ok, this is akin to sacrilege for me but... Jane Austen doesn't know everything. *faints* Lady Victoria Aston finds this out when she needs to find a husband. Sure, Jane Austen was the queen of writing about women looking for husbands, but Victoria's situation is much more dangerous than anything Austen's heroines ever went through. Not only does she need a husband to save her family from her sister's abusive husband, but she also needs to figure out who is trying to hurt her. Let's get to the r ...more
Sami
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Can we make Regency Murder Mysteries a YA trend? Filled with swoonworthy suitors, devious deceptions, and some astute commentary on gender politics, Dangerous Alliance checks every box I have for a truly delightful historical novel. Fans of Cindy Anstey will go crazy for this.
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
I presume this book will contain a lot of witty banter, therefore, I am in lol
Chelsea
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A highly readable and accessible historical fiction for older teens/young adults. When her family's estate is in jeopardy, an independent young woman must choose an acceptable husband or risk losing everything she holds dear. This book definitely contains mature themes, but the writing, however, is very clean. I would say it's appropriate for 15 years and older.

What I liked - Despite tackling abuse, women's rights and divorce during the 1800's, this is actually a very fun read. This book is pep
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
What I liked about this book is the open admiration towards Jane Austen and her work. Main character, Vicky, LOVES Pride & Prejudice and dreams about meeting someone as fascinating as Mr.Darcy. Don't we all?

You could say Dangerous Alliance was a P&P retelling and the heroine was aware of it. It was unusual to read about this because most P&P retellings I've read before have never even mentioned the name Jane Austen let alone discussing the themes and characters of her novels.

Might
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
Apr 24, 2019 marked it as tbr-unreleased
Thank you HarperCollins for providing me with an ARC of this book
Mary Seaman
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
ARC provided by Edelweiss

I enjoyed this read. It was a sweet historical romance and of course adding Jane Austen references was a good touch.

I loved having a hard time gauging the characters motives and though I predicted some of the outcomes, some did throw me for a loop. I found the story easy to follow and developed well.

It does touch on some hard subjects so I wouldn't say its suitable for all young adults but I think a lot would enjoy it.

Content warnings: short mention of rape, spousal a
Tracett
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it
A fine historical romance romp. While this is obviously "Austentacious" it also has the feel of a Georgette Heyer, if not quite as witty as the incomparable Ms Heyer. But the heroine was certainly spunky enough. This was a perfect weekend read and I look forward to more from this author.
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
Maisie Topping
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
this was fun
Emma
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, 2019
I really liked the premise of Dangerous Alliance but the delivery fell a bit flat for me. After discovering that her sister's husband is a despicable man, younger-sister Victoria discovers that she needs to find a husband this season in order to guarantee that her family's estate won't end up in the hands of her terrible brother-in-law. Victoria, or Vicky as she's often called, has her goal somewhat muddled by the fact that she's attacked in a field by a mysterious man and her estranged childhoo ...more
Lisa Schmid
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novel19s
Dangerous Alliance was a delightful combination of mystery, romance, and intrigue with a nod to Jane Austen. The story was clever and compelling and kept me turning the page into the night. I see a big future for this debut author. Bravo!
Ahana M Rao (Heart’s Content)
*Received an ARC via Edelweiss from publisher in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!*
Amalie Jahn
Aug 13, 2019
rated it it was ok
Apr 02, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • Ember Days
  • The Bright and the Pale
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • Songs from the Deep
  • Last Night at the Telegraph Club
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • The Mermaid, the Witch, and the Sea
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World (Light the Abyss, #1)
  • Full Disclosure
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • A Court of Miracles (A Court of Miracles, #1)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • The Grief Keeper
Jennieke Cohen (JEN-ih-kah CO-en) is used to people mispronouncing her name and tries to spare her fictional characters the same problem. Jennieke writes historical fiction for young adults inspired by real people and events because life is often stranger than fiction. She studied English history at Cambridge University and has a master’s degree in professional writing from the University of South ...more