Start by marking “You Are What You Read” as Want to Read:
You Are What You Read

You Are What You Read

Published April 4th 2019 by Unbound

To ask other readers questions about You Are What You Read, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Are What You Read

Start your review of You Are What You Read
Paul
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
When did you last see a good news story? We seem to have a diet of really bad news that never stops. Even when the presenter is talking about the latest disaster there is a ticker tape of sub-stories that expand to fill the vacuum of the entire day. It is just draining listening to or reading the stories that flood out of our media. I stopped watching a while ago now, and even though I buy the weekend papers, I tend to read the supplements rather than the main section. Thankfully though, there ...more
Doug DesCombaz
Fine points, lots of filler

If you are reading this, you may already be in the choir. In that case, you can safely move to the resource list at the end. If you have time to kill, some core concepts wrapped around anecdotes, quotes, and tropes.

But, yeah, as a recovering news junkie, I agree with the crux of the book,, and have been on a quest to be educated, engaged, and informed in a manner that is actionable (whatever that means).
Mathilde
The fast pace and negative bias of the news leaves many - me included - feeling hopeless. For a while I shut down all news outlets from my life, but this felt wrong. There was surely another way to stay informed. Jodie Jackson makes a case for solution based news as a way to empower readers to take action. She does not suggests that it should replace investigative journalism, but rather complement it. She thinks that journalism can expose problems, and also highlight solutions.
Together with
A Reader
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
It’s not a big revelation that the current media environment and poor-quality journalism has overtaken good-quality journalism. The 24/7 news and our constant exposure to the negative news can significantly change an individual’s mood and have long-lasting psychological effects. The rise of social media has drastically changed political discourse and public engagement. There is a lot of fake news and fake people on social media whose purpose is to manipulate us and to influence us.

But the rise
Jason Hillenburg
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jodie Jackson’s You Are What You Read will cause a stir. Jackson’s book takes an unusual but well-reasoned position. She earned a degree in Positive Psychology and has built a reputation for researching the psychological impact negative news coverage has on the viewing public. The central thrust of her argument is that the media lacks a balanced approach to news coverage all too often slanted towards the dark and dire rather than incorporating solutions and the forward march of human progress ...more
Darkgiggsxx
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
While interesting and thought-provoking, I found the book lacked organization.

At worst, there's a lot of padding.
At best, it feels like each chapter was written as a stand-alone article, and then everything was stitched together as a book. There's a lot of repetition, to the point where I had to stop several times wondering whether I'd somehow already read what I was reading.

It's a shame. The author did interesting research and has a lot to teach, I feel like the ideas presented here need to
Nicole
Sep 27, 2019 rated it liked it
It talks about some basic principles for a reader. Good effort and genuine passion, but it can be easily done in an article not worth a book. As for the suggestion to the journalism, it's unrealistic and impractical.
Matt
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A short but extremely well written and well researched book on the benefits of solutions-focussed news. Makes its case well and, suitably, goes further than just telling us there’s a problem.
Siri Arntzen
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I warmly recommend this book. After feeling thoroughly down from the doom and gloom of the daily news picture, this book was a true saviour! Not only do I now have a plethora of sources on constructive journalism, I have a better understanding of how and why the news diet is the way it is, the psychological effects, and what can be done to change it.
Danielle Batist
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As media organisations globally are starting to embrace constructive journalism, Jodie fulfills a crucial role by engaging and empowering not just those who make the news, but all of us. If ‘You Are What You Read’ is about consuming stories that are good for you, then this very book is a great place to start.
Gintare Balseviciute
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well researched, eye-opening book. I really liked that it not only highlighted the benefits of solutions journalism, but also provided tips on how to improve your reading diet.
Cheryl M-M
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I absolutely understand why some people, including the author choose to step away from the negativity that drives the media. It has become almost like a shark feeding frenzy with the audience baying for blood. The more traumatic, brutal and soul-destroying the news is the better.

The news of today isn't the news of yesterday. We used to have media outlets with journalists who strived to give the world, their audience, the facts and the truth, albeit as they perceived it through their frame of
The Literary Shed
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jodie Jackson’s You Are What You Read: Why Changing Your Media Diet Can Change the World is what all good non-fiction should be – exciting, challenging and perceptive.

That said, we are Jackson’s readership. The people who’ve stopped reading newspapers, watching the news, even watching terrestrial television because we’re irritated with the way in which information is handed to us, the way in which the press manipulates what we see, we read, we hear. We just get our news in a different way now.
Wearsteel
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a demonstration of the need to review how you interact with media. It provides the bolster for the idea that critical thinking is important not just it’s application but also n it’s benefits.

How you both challenge and explore the media avalanche of news can both be of benefit to understanding and emotional wellbeing.

I would recommend supporting the ideas and framework this book champions. If you feel the need to know more by accepting less then this should be a appropriate way
Michael MacDonald
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good overview of Solutions Focused Journalism

This is a solid addition to any positive psychology enthusiast’s library.

It’s a quick yet insightful introduction to how your reading diet can affect the way you think, feel, and act.

Feed your brain well and boost your mood in positive tangible ways.

Definitely worth checking out.
Mark Bowsher
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jodie Jackson’s book is more than just a dream - it’s a balanced, realistic love letter to constructive journalism. It addresses not just the industry of fast food style news journalism but how it effects our mental health. Optimistic and vital reading.
Claude
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very interesting read on the toxic outcomes of the majority of today's media (fast paced, sensational, quantity over quality, the conglomerates annex ads, etc.)
Bian Wenbo
Sep 17, 2019 rated it liked it
The news pursues excitement, so it presents too many negative events that are difficult to see on a daily basis; news organizations pursue interests and need more readers, so they are destined to be unable to dig deeper.

In fact, this problem Neil Postman has long said in "Entertainment to Death", the solution is simple and rude, do not look at the news, to focus on the scope of their own capabilities.

The author of this book is not so absolute, he gives solutions from two aspects.

On the one hand,
Simon Howard
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Caroline Venables
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so interesting and I hope everyone takes the chance to read it. It was fascinating to think of media, as you would food. What news you take aboard informs your outlook and view of the world.

The argument throughout the book is not that we should purely see/hear positive news but that there should be a more equal balance between the news we are fed now, brexit, brexit, wars, disasters and news that provides answers to problems. News that spreads hope and provides us with some notion
Flaws
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Скучна и угоена книга с добра идея, за която всички трябва да знаят.

Ако вече не сте, струва си да се запознаете с журналистиката с фокус към решения на проблеми. Има нужда от промяна в начина, по който ни се поднасят новините и тази промяна би била постижима само ако масовият потребител вземе мерки относно информацията, която консумира онлайн.

Не си струва обаче да четете тези 181 страници. Спестете си няколко часа и вместо това почетете онлайн за какво става въпрос и разчистете новинарските
Beckie
Nov 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5. If you're someone who is already aware of, or interested in this topic then it's likely that this book wont be groundbreaking for you. Nevertheless, it's an important (and short) read if you know very little about the impact or how to adjust your media diet.
Omar Alassil
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good topic and much needed debate and I agree with the author but I felt the book could have been much shorter. Many pages have nothing to add to the topic apart from just re-iterating the same idea
Ian Pitchford
Dull

If you want a brief and superficial overview of pop psychology in a positive journalism context then this book could be for you.
Laura Murphy
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
3 and a half stars really! Some useful thought provoking ideas, but at times a little repetitive and laboured.
Eileen
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
A short book but could have been even shorter. Gist is that bad news news needs to be balanced with solutions news. Research based and thought provoking.
Sandy Morley
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
A short rallying cry to consume the news more consciously and make your head and the world a better place.
Rosie
Nov 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Interesting message but it felt very repetitive for the second half
Doris Raines
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it
GREAT TITLE YOU ARE WHAT YOU READ——IT IS ALSO TRUE SOME WHERE I READ YOU ARE WHAT YOU —-E-A-T— BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU READ ——— BE VERY CAREFUL WHAT YOU PUT IN YOUR MOUTH...
Claire
May 19, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• There Is No Planet B: A Handbook for the Make or Break Years
  • Money: A User’s Guide
  • Lost Connections: Uncovering the Real Causes of Depression - and the Unexpected Solutions
  • How to Lose a Country: The 7 Steps from Democracy to Dictatorship
  • This Is Not A Drill: An Extinction Rebellion Handbook
  • Why We Get the Wrong Politicians
  • Liquid Rules: The Delightful and Dangerous Substances That Flow Through Our Lives
  • No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference
  • On Fire: The Case for the Green New Deal
  • Bird Therapy
  • Alchemy: The Surprising Power of Ideas That Don't Make Sense
  • Twas the Nightshift Before Christmas
  • Forever Evil
  • In Extremis: The Life of War Correspondent Marie Colvin
  • Super Thinking: The Big Book of Mental Models
  • How Britain Really Works: Understanding the Ideas and Institutions of a Nation
  • I'm a Joke and So Are You: A Comedian’s Take on What Makes Us Human
  • WTF: What have we done? Why did it happen? How do we take back control?
Jodie Jackson is an expert on the psychological impact of the news on our mental health and the health of our society. Her widely cited research has led to regular speaking engagements at media and mental health conferences around the world. Jodie Jackson is a partner at The Constructive Journalism Project and she holds a master’s degree in applied positive psychology.