Start by marking “Banished From Memory” as Want to Read:
Banished From Memory

Banished From Memory

Cited as a Distinguished Favorite in Historical Fiction by the Independent Press Awards.

It’s 1960. Sixteen-year-old Dianna Fletcher has been accustomed to the bright lights of Hollywood all her life-but now they are casting shadows on her family’s past and on her own future.

Dianna fears she is losing her talent and failing to live up to her family’s legacy. When she does
Published May 14th 2019 by Aquafire Sulis

To ask other readers questions about Banished From Memory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Banished From Memory

Start your review of Banished From Memory
Erin A Epps
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is for anyone who doesn't feel like they belong. However, it's very into technical terms of the behind the scenes of movie making. If that is something that doesn't interest you then you may want to check out some other books. As I had attended Full Sail University briefly, toying with the idea of television writing, I really enjoyed the behind the scenes. That was only a small portion of the book though...and therefore this is the end of the warning part of my review.

I must admit whe
Amanda Hupe
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-reads
When I first received information about Banished From Memory by Mary Sheeran, it definitely piqued my interest. The book takes place in 1960 and introduces Dianna Fletcher, a 16-year-old actress. She comes from a whole family of actors and takes it very seriously. However, she has reached an age where she is too old for the child roles, but not quite mature enough for the young female roles. She is worried about being in the shadow of her family and losing her talent. However, not only that but ...more
Kristi Duarte
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I loved this book. Given I'm European, I didn't know much about the blacklisting era of Hollywood, when (similarly to Nazi Germany, Khmer Rouge, etc.) people could be accused of spreading anti-government propaganda, while being innocent.

This novel successfully describes the era by putting a young actress, Dianna Fletcher, in the midst of the drama. A daughter of the Hollywood in-couple of the time, she moves effortlessly in the circles of Frank Sinatra, Katherine Hepburn, John F. Kennedy, etc.,
BonLivre
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Thank you to the publisher and #NetGalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. I grew up on old movies and often find comfort in the musicals and comedies from the golden era of Hollywood. It is for this reason that I selected this ARC, and in many ways Sheeran’s work did not disappoint as readers were transported to California’s movie set glamor and crossed paths with well-known legends. That being said however, there was just too much name dropping and too many n ...more
Catherine Siemann
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dianna Fletcher is Hollywood royalty, a member of a family where her parents and brothers are all award-winning actors, too. In her 16th year, no longer suitable for the Disney vehicles she's been starring in, but not ready for adult roles, she finds herself at a crossroads -- and on the verge of growing up as she learns the truth about the Hollywood blacklist, hidden family secrets, and her own craft. Sheeran's research is meticulous, and she brings a time and place to life with vivid details - ...more
Kathryn Notestine
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love that Mary was able to create a story around a not-very-known part of history (The Hollywood Blacklist) and tie in all of these relevant and relatable pieces of 2019, like femininity, Me Too, self-discovery, independence. I thought that the characters were interesting and dynamic, and there were so many elements to make the book a really good read: history, romance, some mystery/suspense. Definitely recommend this book!
Lucas Eytchison
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As both a fan of film history, and of family mysteries, I found this book to be a great read. Sheeran blends punchy writing with a profound respect for the characters in this book. The piece of this that I found most interesting was the historical component: one doesn't need to look far even today to see how ideologies can change art culture.
Books Forward
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the film history in this book! I had never heard of the Blacklist before, and following Mary's writing through Cold War Hollywood was enthralling. I highly recommend this to anyone who is a fan of film history, and anyone who wants a fresh take on a period that I feel is never written about!
Marissa DeCuir
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was a big fan of the main character, Dianna. It was refreshing to read a story about a girl coming into her womanhood in a time that was much more restrictive. I thought that Sheeran crafted an honest story that simultaneously gave power to women, and that explored the many ways equality can be reached.
Cristie Underwood
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Great read. The author wrote a story that was interesting and moved at a pace that kept me engaged. The characters were easy to invest in.
Sara
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally reviewed for Chick Lit Central (www.chicklitcentral.com)

Banished From Memory presented an intriguing and unique concept, with bringing in real-life celebrities and characters most of us are very familiar with, blending in with fictional people who feel true to life and more than believable. Not only that, but the celebrities we’ve come to know and often love have a voice within this story that fits their individual characteristics and mannerisms, an uncanny representation that aided i
Melissa Cheresnick
祝贺
Jun 19, 2019
Lizbeth
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an advanced digital copy of this book from the author, publisher and Netgalley.com. Thanks to all for the opportunity to read and review.

Ms. Sheehan has recreated the Hollywood of the 50's in her novel. At the center is a child star getting older from an iconic film family, unsure of where she stands not only in her career but also her life. The blacklist is in full effect and her family might have something to do with why her newest costar hates her.

Thick with behind the scenes detai
Krista Marie

• Ever Alice
  • The Shaman of Turtle Valley
  • Dutch Girl: Audrey Hepburn and World War II
  • Mimadamos: The Eden of Choice
  • A Hero Born (Legends of the Condor Heroes #1)
  • Scenes from the Heartland: Stories Based on Lithographs by Thomas Hart Benton
  • INTUITIVELY YOU: Evolve Your Life and Mend the World
  • The Five: The Untold Lives of the Women Killed by Jack the Ripper
  • Julian Fox, The Dream Guardian (Julian Fox, #1)
  • Being Mean: A Memoir of Sexual Abuse and Survival
  • The Psychology of Time Travel
  • The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope
  • Death in Delmarva
  • Land of Last Chances
  • The Ravenmaster: My Life with the Ravens at the Tower of London
  • May It Be So: Forty Days with the Lord's Prayer
  • Ajax Penumbra 1969 (Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, #0.5)
My first novel, "Who Have the Power," began when, after studying women's history, I wanted to explore why there was such a discrepancy between the world of, say, the American West as depicted in movies and television and what actually happened.

I focused on the Comstock Lode because I had grown up with the television show, "Bonanza." This series, entertaining as it was, got almost everything wrong