Start by marking “Grey Skies” as Want to Read:
Grey Skies

Grey Skies

Roman Toguri finds himself burying the body of a nun in Boone, North Carolina. As the skies darken and it begins to storm, he is forced to shove the corpse into his trunk and take it home for the night, unaware of the torment that playing God will bestow upon him.

Enter Hell with two bonus short stories: The White Shade, an ultra-violent look into the mind of a mass shooter
Published June 9th 2019 by Barnes & Noble Press

To ask other readers questions about Grey Skies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grey Skies

Lee Anderson  drunk_on_bookz
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Going into this book all I knew was that the author was 18 year old William Becker and I was about to read a tale of a man who finds himself having to bury a dead nun.
With my ears piqued at the curiosity of this, I didn’t want to hold my hopes too high.
Well I was more than pleasantly surprised by this one!

At first the nun seems to hold no real bearing on the story. It’s raining so Roman Toguri can’t bury her so decides to throw her in the trunk of his car and head for home.
This is where life as
May 28, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book wasn’t for me at all. I embrace reading new authors and actually, one of my outstanding book bingo categories is to find a book that scares me. On the face of it, ‘Grey Skies’ seems to be the perfect fit. Instead, I was weirded-out, horrified and sickened by the grossness of the horror that Becker presented. This is the sort of book that plays on your mind and for me, this was not a pleasant outcome of my reading.

Spiders, gore, blood, sewers and weird scenes: this book has it all, and
Aina
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
We first meet Roman as he is burying a dead body, but it is not clear why he is doing it. When he goes home, he sees that there is something wrong with his house. Spiders crawl inside the rooms and there is a large hole in the ground. Roman steps through the hole, and into a nightmare. We follow him as he navigates his way through strange places, his memories mixing the present and the past.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book! The writing is vivid and detailed, and I felt that I was immedia
Kaili Taghon  (Entertainingly Nerdy)
Grey skies is really good. It's not easy to creep me out but the little parts dealing with spiders got to me. The beginning of the book I was a tad bit confused on what exactly was going on but as I dug deeper into the book the more I started to enjoy it!
Valerie - Cats Luv Coffee
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
The story begins with a man and a body — not the most auspicious way to start your day, is it? The problem is he doesn't remember how she came to be dead. He remembers that she is a friend of his ex-wife, but has no idea what happened to her. In a case of extreme panic, decides to bury her himself. (I mean, really, hiding the body is the first thing you should do if you are innocent.) However, in the pouring down rain, he realizes this is not to be and places her in the trunk of his car to be di ...more
Amy Dong
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you want to travel to the darkest depths of the human mind, this is the book for you! The White Shade is the perfect combination of vivid descriptions and engaging plot as it delves into the motives of a mass shooter. Additionally, the Black Box does not dissapoint with equally immersive descriptions and plot that is characteristic of the author's style. And Grey Skies is what is truly important here. It's the novel's main attraction. Spine-chilling, mysterious, and thrilling, it's a masterpi ...more
Ana (bananareads)
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I have received a copy of this book from the author in exchange of an honest review.
First I’d like to point out that the author is 18yo. He described the book as a “mix of House of Leaves and Silent Hill” and I pretty much agree with that. I’ve read about 150 pages of HoL and just wasn’t in a mood for it at that time and put it back on my TBR pile. But I can see the similarities.
What I liked about this book were the descriptions of places, I like when I can EXACTLY picture every detail, like I’m
KayBee's  Blog Spot
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A man, Roman, a dead nun and no clue as to what happened to her.

This was my first read by the author and I have to tell you it makes me wonder what goes on his mind. This story is delivered with such descriptive detail that you are almost completely immersed into this frightening world. With our hero not knowing why a friend of his ex-wife has been murdered, he initially decides to bury her. However, the weather prompts him to just put her in his trunk and take her home. This is where the story
Kris the_book_adventurer
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
(Note: I was sent Grey Skies in a PDF format from the author William Becker in exchange for an honest review. The following review is my own, and is in no way influenced by the author or additional sources.)

Grey Skies - At first glance, Roman Toguri seems like a guy whose been dealt a rough hand. With no other backstory aside from the fact that he is burying a nun, we aren't given much in the way of how and why we meet him in the pouring rain under darkening skies. There is no quick and easy ans
Marisa
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was recommended by this book by a friend and was a little skeptical at first. I’m not much a of a horror fan, but I decided to give it a try by reading it on Wattpad. I can not express how much I enjoyed this book. It truly was a different experience from traditional horror with psychological elements and intricate layering of past and present that warrants several reads. This story is unlike any of the other dozens of books I have been recommended and is truly worth a read (or ten). I can not ...more
Tyrnie
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I first read this book when it was on wattpad, and I am beyond amazed with how far it has come. I rarely read a book that sends chills through my entire body, and this book did. Becker uses this book to take the reader through intense and horrific experiences, and does so amazingly! I have, and will continue to recommend this book to everyone.
Bre
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was able to go through to help edit this book and every chapter continued to amaze me. It is a very different type of read, but pulls you in with all the twists and turns.
Scarlett Scott
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I dunno who this dude is or what the shit I just read but it's kewl :3, 10/10 recommend
Dusk_the_daydreamer
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a breath of fresh air in the horror genre of literature. I greatly enjoyed this novel and was impressed by the maturity, dexterity and precision of William's writing; one of the key assets of this book is its staggering and meticulous attention to detail. Will has a fine eye for detail and manages to weave countless seemingly trivial threads to form a complete, cohesive and extraordinarily complex body of work.

The depth with which he characterises Roman left me floored and reading
Anu
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A dark, creepy and twisted psychological thriller

Terrific storytelling by young horror author.
You can explore the darker world with a main plot and bonus two short stories.
Well narrated.
Vivid detail of weird, horrific and creepy incidents which will make you wonder if the character is hallucinating or happening in real.
Cryptic messages exist in between chapters where they do not distract you from the reading.
Strange men and creatures haunt you.
An engaging book which makes you bite your nails an
Bob Milne
May 13, 2019 added it
Shelves: horror, dnf
This started out amazing. The opening scene is dark, twisted, and humorous in a way that has you feeling both dirty and guilty for enjoying it. I was hooked. I felt for this poor guy, and I wanted to know what the hell was going on, what it was that put him in such a horrible situation. As the story grew into darker twists and turns, however . . . as it began exploring more psychology and family drama . . . as it transformed that feeling of empathy into one of annoyance . . . well, I found mysel ...more
Stephanie (the nerdy princess)
review to come
Amy Shannon
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Good Story

Becker pens a good horror story in Grey Skies. I found that I did like the majority of the story, but a few parts were a bit confusing, and a bit slow to make sense, but in the end, I enjoyed the story. Yes, it was creepy and scary, and intriguing to see how the story would play out. I would definitely read more by this author, and I am curiously intrigued (and yet a bit fearful) of his imagination. I look forward to reading more by this author.
William Becker
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Jada
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
May 24, 2019
Renato Rodriguez
May 25, 2019
William Becker is an 18-year-old horror author with a mind for weirder sides of the universe. With an emphasis on complex and layered storylines that tug harshly on the reader to search for deeper meanings in the vein of Silent Hill and David Lynch, Becker is a force to be reckoned within the horror world. His works are constantly unfathomable, throwing terror into places never before seen, while ...more