Start by marking “Protecting Your Child from Predators: How to Recognize and Respond to Sexual Danger” as Want to Read:

Even good parents often underestimate the dangers their children face. Research indicates that one in four females and one in six males are sexually abused before age eighteen. In most cases, the enemy is not a faceless stranger; it's someone you know and trust--a neighbor, a coach, or even a family member.

This book provides practical steps to ensure you're doing all you
Audio CD
Published November 5th 2019 by Blackstone Publishing (first published August 6th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Protecting Your Child from Predators, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Protecting Your Child from Predators

Start your review of Protecting Your Child from Predators: How to Recognize and Respond to Sexual Danger
Anita Ojeda
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone from parents to pastors, teachers to teenagers needs to read this book. While written from a Christian perspective, Protecting Your Child from Predators provides everyone with solid advice for both spotting potential predators and arming children to keep themselves safe.

The authors point out that most predators dont wear trench coats and lurk in dark allies. They dont lure unknown children to them with candy, either. Most predators disguise themselves as trusted family members, coaches,
Shantelle
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Protecting Your Child From Predators: How to Recognize and Respond to Sexual Danger is a great resource for parents concerning the subjects of sexuality, sexual abuse, and how to protect their children in this area. I found this book very informational, and I plan on referencing it in the future if I have children of my own. And even just as an older sister and someone who works with children, its helpful to know things to look for and be aware of.

The fact is, we live in a fallen world.
Kelly
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: resource
The statistics and scenarios presented are sickening and sobering, and yet this book is undeniably important, especially for anyone with little or no knowledge or background on this subject. As someone who is likely more naive than I even realize, I'm thankful that Robinson has written this book to help parents (and anyone working with children) to be aware and equipped to protect our kids.

However, while it is a thorough, easy-to-understand, age-specific introduction, this book is perhaps too
Kara
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I HIGHLY recommend this book to Christian parents or any adult that works with children. It is practical and insightful, albeit a little scary and anxiety-provoking.
Jolene -
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I recommend Protecting Your Child from Predators: How to Recognize and Respond to Sexual Danger by Beth Robinson, EdD, and Latayne C. Scott, PhD, to any caregiver.

Protecting Your Child from Predators was a surprisingly quick read. The authors presented information in a clear and concise manner. Heartbreaking stories are included for a purpose, not superfluously, but may be triggers for readers who have experienced sexual abuse.

The chapters in Protecting Your Child from Predators do not need to
Jill
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-books

This is an incredible book for providing resources, insights and direction for protecting your child against predators, just as the title insists. This read is broken into three sections by age group 5 and under, 6 to 11, and 12 and older. In each section the authors provide guidance on what your kids should know at that age, as well as examples of cases Dr. Robinson has faced from kids of that age.

The examples provided from real life predators are extremely powerful. These examples included
Laura Langley
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Parents, grandparents and caregivers will find a sobering yet helpful resource in Beth Robinson and Latayne Scott's book, Protecting Your Child from Predators: How to Recognize and Respond to Sexual Danger. While loads of books have been written about dealing with trauma, very few offer parents and caregivers ways to avoid the necessity of trauma healing.

The authors identify for readers the most common people and places where predators are found and how they work. The authors help readers think
Kristen
I received a copy of Protecting Your Child from Predators from Bethany House Publishers for my honest opinion.

This is not a book that one wants to read but rather needs to read if they are a parent. I found the information presented to be very timely and important as I am a mother three children which fit into each of the categories presented.

The book is divided into three sections based upon the age of the child so if you do not have a child younger than 6, you could skip to the later two
Oak
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Protecting Your Child from Predators: How to Recognize and Respond to Sexual Danger is an important and informative book by Beth Robinson, EdD, and Latayne C. Scott, PhD, about protecting your children from predators. The book talks about ways to help protect young as well as older children from sexual abuse, and the authors talk about specific situations in which children may be more vulnerable to abuse.

The book reminds parents that predators can come in the form of authority figures, family
Ashley at Reading Themes
Protecting Your Child from Predators by Beth Robinson EdD and Latayne C. Scott PhD is a new book for parents. This book was not easy to read because of the importance of this topic. The authors share from their experiences of counseling victims of sexual abuse. The topics cover all ages and are divided into age groups of advice on how to talk to your kids about these issues. This book made me more aware of the people and dangers surrounding my children. Parenting gets harder all the time because ...more
Mary Gardner
Protecting Your Child From Predators is not only an excellent resource for everyone who has children or grandchildren, but a must have guide for those who work closely with kids. It teaches adults how to guide the children in their lives to handle difficult situations even when the adult is not around. That the sections are separated by age, makes this a valuable resource for anyone dealing with children from preschool age to teenagers. I consider it a must read.
Julia
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book isn't an enjoyable read persay, but it is a necessary and important one. The book is broken down in such a way that makes an overwhelming topic feel a little less overwhelming - by age and scenario. It's the type of book I'd recommend to parents to put on their shelves and then reference back to as their kids get older. The authors provide important information, relevant and practical helps, all through a lens of hope.
Aurelia Mast-glick
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mothering
How to Recognize and Respond to Sexual Danger.

"Love protects. It does not violate."

"Trust is the oil that greases the gears of abuse. Without trust, most abuse could never happen." Isn't that not an oxymoron? We think trust is what we need, when in reality most abuse happens by people we know and trust. They know how to worm their way into our families, our hearts and our children's lives and then they take advantage.

This book was eye-opening, thought-provoking and downright scary. I've always
Nathan Albright
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge-2019
[Note:  This book was provided free of charge by Bethany House Books.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.]

Sometimes it is worthwhile to examine a book by talking about what is not included in it.  There are a wide variety of potential abuses included here, different roles where people are viewed as being potentially threatening to children, and there are a lot of roles posted here, ranging from siblings and cousins in terms of family to classmates and abusive boyfriends to babysitters or
Martha
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
I thought the premise and set up of this book was good, but failed in the execution.
The great things about this book:
It was set up well, by age level. It was clear and easy to understand without using a ton of big words or babbling.
The poor side of it was that it was quite fear laden. I would be the first one to tell you that we need more info for parents on how to protect their children from predators. But I felt this book did a poor job of that. It instead let you know that they are
Anthony
May 20, 2020
B. Ellis
Jul 06, 2019
Latayne Scott
Aug 07, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Teri
Oct 30, 2019
Amber
Oct 30, 2019
Goodreads Librari...: Add paperback edition 2 20 Nov 30, 2019 12:27PM

• What Is a Girl Worth?: My Story of Breaking the Silence and Exposing the Truth about Larry Nassar and USA Gymnastics
  • The Dearly Beloved
  • Hunted in the Desert
  • The Reaper: Autobiography of One of the Deadliest Special Ops Snipers
  • The Words Between Us
  • Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War
  • Hexes and Oh's (Low Country Witches #1)
  • Wild Game: My Mother, Her Lover, and Me
  • Healing Together: A Guide to Supporting Sexual Abuse Survivors
  • Moon Shot: The Inside Story of America's Race to the Moon
  • If Only I Could Tell You
  • CHAINSAW.
  • Back Roads to Belonging: Unexpected Paths to Finding Your Place and Your People
  • Not Forsaken: A Story of Life After Abuse
  • We Too: How the Church Can Respond Redemptively to the Sexual Abuse Crisis
  • Felix (Club Crimson, #4)
  • A Taste of Honeybear Wine (Bearfield #2)
  • A Slice of Honeybear Pie (Bearfield #1)
Beth Robinson, EdD, is a licensed professional counselor and approved supervisor for licensed professional counselors. She is also a certified school counselor with a teaching certificate and is a frequent expert witness in legal proceedings involving sexual abuse. Dr. Robinson and her family live in Lubbock, Texas.