Start by marking “There's A Murder Afoot (Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery #5)” as Want to Read:
There's A Murder Afoot (Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery #5)

There's A Murder Afoot

(Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery #5)

Just in time for Sherlock Holmes's 166th birthday, the fifth installment in national bestselling author Vicki Delany's Sherlock Holmes Bookshop mystery takes Sherlockania to the max with a Holmes convention and historic 221 Baker Street.

Gemma Doyle and her friends travel to London for a Sherlock Holmes convention--but will Gemma's father take the fall for a felonious
Expected publication: January 7th 2020 by Crooked Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about There's A Murder Afoot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There's A Murder Afoot

Start your review of There's A Murder Afoot (Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery #5)
James
There's a Murder Afoot is the 5th book in the Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mysteries by Vicki Delany. I have read the previous books in this series and when this one became available, it was a must-read. I can easily say, it delivered a wonderful punch and earns 4.5 stars. Let's dive into the review...

Gemma and Jayne are on a trip to London. They've been invited to an award ceremony in Uncle Arthur's absence. Arthur's decided to mind the shops while the girls are on a little getaway. They also bring
Peggy R
I have been a big fan of this series since the very first book, but I have to say I think that this is my favorite in the series to date. I love that Gemma is not the typical cozy mystery protagonist. She has a unique personality with a few quirks. I think author Vicki Delany had done a great job of growing and developing that uniqueness while softening Gemma's character a bit without taking away what I love about her. In this book, the gang is off to London for a Sherlock Holmes Conference and ...more
Eve (Between The Bookends)
Nov 05, 2019 marked it as jan-arcs-to-review
Shelves: arcs-to-review
description
Dawn Michelle
I have been so pleased with this series that I have been waiting for the proverbial "other shoe" to drop and for it to have a stinker of a book. I am here to tell you that this book IS NOT THAT ONE!!! YAY!!
This is an excellent edition to the series and I really enjoyed it tremendously. If I had not almost fallen asleep last night, I would have been able to pull this out in one day - I just didn't want to put it down.

I really enjoy books set in London [my favorite city that I have never been
FMSWarrior
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gemma and her friends head to London for a Sherlock Homes convention. While there, Gemma meets her Uncle Randy the black sheep of the family, who she never knew of. When Randy is found dead and Gemma’s father is found with him, Dad is the likely suspect for the murder.

Gemma and the gang do what they do best and start snooping and poking around to find out who really killed Uncle Randolph and why. Gemma finds out far more about her long lost uncle than she could have imagined, but will she find
Valerie
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a interesting book. It's set in London during a Sherlock Holmes conference but most of the action takes place in London proper. Gemme discovers a black sheep long lost uncle who is quickly killed and her father is accused of killing him, so she investigates with the help of her friends his death and the suspects. It turns out he was into art forgery and that led to his death. The ending is a surprise and exciting. #TheresAMurderAfoot #NetGalley
Christa
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook-arc
This is my favorite book of the Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mysteries to date. I loved seeing Gemma and her crew in London. The setting and backdrop were perfect for them. It was great to have Gemma's family in this installment, and the mystery moved along just right, keeping me guessing and holding my interest.
Lisa Morin
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's A Murder Afoot is an exciting installment in this quirky and delightful series by Vicki Delany.
Gemma Doyle is returning to London, in time for a great celebration of all things Sherlock Holmes.
Gemma is not alone in this adventure, her best friend Jane, her significant other, Ryan, book collector Grant, and last but not least, Donald, lover of all things dealing with Sherlock Holmes are with her in this trip.
Unfortunately for Gemma Doyle, her father becomes a prime suspect in the death of
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
In book 5 of the Sherlock Holmes Bookshop mysteries the gang has landed in London for a Sherlock Conference!

Donald signed Gemma up to speak at a Sherlock Holmes conference without telling her and when she got the call about doing it she almost said no, but then she decided it would be nice to take a vacation back to her home country and visit her family. Jayne her friend wanted to go as well and of course Gemma's boyfriend detective Ryan got some time off to go, and Grant the rare bookseller
Kaijsa
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I like the Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Series because the characters are fun and it's kind of funny that Gemma owns the bookshop but isn't really that into Sherlock Holmes. It cuts down on the cutesy factor. This is book five in the series, and there is already a change of scenery. Gemma, Jane, and their friends are in London for a Homes convention while her assistant and uncle take care of the shop back in New London, MA. This gives us the opportunity to meet Gemma's parents, her sister, and a ...more
Ileana Renfroe
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Description:
Gemma Doyle and her friends travel to London for a Sherlock Holmes convention—but will Gemma's father take the fall for a felonious forger's fatality?

My Review:
This is the first book I have read from Vicki Delany and I don't know how I could have missed her novels. Although I am reading book 5 first and out of order it was easy to follow. There's a Murder Afoot is a winner!!

This ARC was provided in exchange for my honest opinion. Well, I must say it is a very well written novel with
Jacque
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gemma and her friends are in London to attend a Sherlock Holmes conference. Gemma is there to accept an award for Arthur, who would rather stay back in the States and watch over the bookstore. While there, Gemma meets an uncle that she didn’t know existed. Randy is the black-sheep of the family, an art forger and thief, and he and Gemma’s father get into a heated argument. When her Dad is later a suspect in a murder, Gemma must investigate. This is the best book in the series (so far)! I loved ...more
Jan
The Massachusetts book specialty book shop owner returns to London, England with her boyfriend and a few interested friends to speak at a Sherlockian conference and visit with the rest of her family. Boyfriend is a police detective back in the States and dad is a retired detective from the Met, while mom is is a barrister and older sister is an assistant to someone in the government. The first big surprise is meeting a man her father obviously detests and finding out that he is actually her ...more
Cynthia Moore
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this installment Gemma and her crew head for London. It is primarily for a Sherlock Holmes convention, but Gemma still has family nearby. It is interesting to see Gemma in her native land. And we meet her sister Pippa, who has a secret job that is only hinted at. There is a murder at the convention and it ends up involving Gemma's father, who is under suspicion. Gemma sets out to solve the murder along with her sister. They do some detecting throughout London with the crew even though they ...more
Anna Fox
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun series. The main character, Gemma Doyle (depending on who you talk to no relation), is in London for a Sherlock Holmes event. Murder occurs during dinner, a relative is suspected and so Gemma and friends start tracking down who could be responsible. I loved the London location. I enjoy Gemma and friends and liked getting to know Gemma's relatives.

Thank you to the publisher, author, and NetGalley for my eARC in exchange for an honest review. - One of my favorite series.
Roxanne Spencer
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An engaging cozy mystery in the Sherlock Holmes Bookstore series. I hadn't read any of these before, and didn't know what to expect. I found it easy to engage with the characters--while part of a series, this worked as a standalone. I enjoyed the subtle nods to all things Sherlockian; this was done with just the right tone without being mocking or overbearing. I particularly liked Gemma Doyle with her keen observational skills.
Rima Aiello
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a unique series and I love that the author is taking the reader on a journey with this latest installment. As always, the story is peppered with Holmes, however, it does nothing but add to the characters and story. Taking on the streets of London, missing family, and a plot that keeps the reader on the edge of their seats, this book is definitely one to read again and again.
Carol
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved everything about this book. It was fun traveling to London with Gemma and the gang. The mystery is well crafted and I loved meeting Gemma's family. There are plenty of twists and turns to keep you guessing while you try to figure out this clever whodunit!
Judy Tucker
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's A Murder Afoot is another Vicki mystery that you'll enjoy reading. Lots of twists and turns.. You'll enjoy how the characters interact and work together to solve this mystery, that's takes place at a Sherlock Holmes convention.
Sonya Berger
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great cozy mystery with a bit of humor. I enjoy the interplay between Gemma, Pippa, Ryan. Enjoyable storyline with twists and turns
Kristin
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read!! Fun change of pace to have it set in London. Fun meeting Gemma's family. Fantastic story, fun ending!
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries, netgalley
This is another enjoyable installment in the Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery Series. I love Gemma and the other characters, and it was fun to travel with them to London in this book.

I received an ARC from NetGalley. The book will be released on January 7, 2020.
Erin Britton
Annie
Mar 17, 2019
Sheri
Mar 17, 2019

• Verse and Vengeance (A Magical Bookshop Mystery #4)
  • Hems and Homicide (Apron Shop #1)
  • Potions Are for Pushovers
  • A Spell for Trouble (An Enchanted Bay Mystery #1)
  • To Kill a Mocking Girl
  • Sealed Off (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #8)
  • In Cold Chamomile (A Tea and Read Mystery #3)
  • Dead in Dublin (The Dublin Driver Mysteries #1)
  • Bound for Murder (Blue Ridge Library Mysteries #4)
  • Sell Low, Sweet Harriet
  • Death on the Page (Castle Bookshop Mystery #2)
  • An Ale of Two Cities (Literary Pub Mystery #2)
  • Much Ado about Nutmeg (Pancake House Mystery #6)
  • Matchmaking Can Be Murder (An Amish Matchmaker Mystery #1)
  • Southern Harm (A Southern B&B Mystery #2)
  • Cobblered to Death (Courtney Archer #1)
  • Gone, Kitty, Gone
  • A Murderous Tangle (Seaside Knitters Society)
“It’s a crime not to read Delany,” so says the London Free Press.

Vicki Delany is one of Canada’s most varied and prolific crime writers.

She is the author of the Sherlock Holmes Bookshop series from Crooked Lane and the Year Round Christmas series from Penguin. Under the pen name of Eva Gates she writes the Lighthouse Library Series.
Visit Vicki at www.vickidelany.com ,

Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery (5 books)
  • Elementary, She Read (A Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery, #1)
  • Body on Baker Street (A Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • The Cat of the Baskervilles (A Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery #3)
  • A Scandal in Scarlet (A Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery, #4)