Start by marking “Snowball” as Want to Read:
Snowball

Snowball

A group of motorists become stranded on a lonely stretch of highway during a Christmas Eve blizzard and fight for survival against an unnatural force in the storm. The gathered survivors realize a tenuous connection among them means it may not be a coincidence that they all ended up on this highway. An attempt to seek help leads a few of the travelers to a house in the ...more
Published January 16th 2020 by Flame Tree Press

To ask other readers questions about Snowball, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snowball

Start your review of Snowball
Lisa
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
My thanks to Flame Tree Press and Netgalley.
When I first requested this book, I'll admit that I didn't read what it was about. All I saw was that fantastic cover, and I thought "snow, cold, blood and Flame Tree!" Really, that's all I needed to know.
Then, I finally got around to reading it, and read a few reviews beforehand. Everyone seemed to like it, but all I saw was Krampus and killer snowmen.
I thought, crikey! What the heck have I gotten myself into? I hate books like this. Still, I decided
Luvtoread
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Get Ready! Thrilling And Chilling!

It's Christmas Eve and a blizzard is taking place and the snowplows are out trying to make it safe for all the travelers and last minute Christmas Shoppers. One plow drver is working on the turnpike when suddenly the snow becomes so deep that his vehicle gets stuck and his radio and cell phone have also lost service so he is stranded for the moment. Sometime later a tractor trailer jackknifes on the same turnpike leaving a line of several vehicles to become
Louise Wilson
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up to 4

A bunch f people travelling separately are stranded by a snowstorm in New Hampshire. To make matters worse, its Christmas eve. They are all trying to get home for Christmas but the snow is coming down to heavy for them to move, plus they are stuck behind the snow plough but the driver is no where to be seen. They all eventually end up together in an RV owned by a strange old couple. They decide to pass the time by telling the story of their worst winter. Its ot long
Fran
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Christmas Eve in New Hampshire, 2018. A wet, rapidly falling,swirling heavy snow would soon produce wipeout conditions unbeknownst to travelers getting a late start enroute to their Christmas destinations. The snowplow driver, seemingly visualizing a deer and several bucks out in the storm, slammed on his brakes and got stuck in snow reaching to the top of his plow blade. Attempting to shovel his way out, he noticed a tall, motionless figure in the road. It was a snowman. "Beneath the coal-black ...more
Carolyn
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I wish to thank NetGalley and Flame Tree Press for this gripping tale of supernatural and horror. Keep in mind that this a well-written fantasy that is divorced from anything that could occur in reality, I hope, so be prepared to suspend disbelief. This is a great scary winter tale while watching the snowbanks outside.

The situation evokes my greatest winter fear. I live in the Atlantic Provinces in Canada where we can get some monstrous snowstorms. I recall a couple of past storms where the
Schizanthus Nerd
How to know if a Christmas horror book is for me in three easy steps:
1. It’s a Christmas horror book!
2. Include this quote in the first chapter -
The snowman’s head rose, tilted back as its face came into view. Beneath the coal-black eyes and long crooked carrot nose was a black mouth grinning with two rows of sharp teeth.
3. Actually, I don’t need any additional information. Bah humbug!
“What was your worst winter memory?”
This Christmas Eve, during one of the worst snowstorms in New
Laurie Tell
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a creepy, scary ride.

The good
It was really well written. I read this in the middle of August but started thinking it was winter where I was. I was drawn into this world, and could visualize it all.
I liked the characters, even the bad ones were people you loved to hate.
It was scary, it was suspenseful, it was creepy.

The not so good
It was a horror novel, so I expect weird. But I felt like it was a suspenseful slow build to horror, then suddenly it accelerated so fast I got
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
Oh man this book was freaking fantastic! It exceeded all of my expectations. If you are a fan of horror, you'll definitely want to read this. This is the perfect book to read on a winter evening, or even when it's 95 degrees out like it is here unfortunately. Seriously, this book was so good, I may just have to read it again when we get some cold weather, if we ever get any.

I had actually never heard of the author until I read this but I was impressed by his writing style and want to read more
Steve Tannuzzo
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
What a fun holiday/seasonal horror read. A group of travelers caught in a Christmas Eve blizzard take shelter in a nearby RV as they wait for the storm to pass. Connections are made when they start sharing their "worst Christmas ever" stories and that's when this book goes full-on horror. This was a weird read that kept my attention even as the story got a little wacky. Well-written and engaging.

Snowball will be available on January 30, 2020. Another winner from Flame Tree Press.
Juli
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
After reading this book, I will never look at a snowman the same way ever again. :)

A group of motorists become stranded on a desolate stretch of highway during a blizzard. The snow and cold conditions are dangerous enough....but then they realize there is something lurking in the snow. Something dark. Something dangerous...... Gregory Bastianelli brings horror to Christmastime with this eerie tale! Awesomely creepy read!!

I love a good scare...and this book delivered! I kept imagining myself in
Well Read Beard
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books
Vivid bloody horror that freezes to the core. Bradbury's Illustrated Man meets John F.D. Taff's The Fearing.

This book is packed with bloody, graphic imagery and I have said this before, but that blood is so much more red and vivid when splashed across the fresh snow. The book takes place on Christmas eve, so it is a perfect holiday horror read.

I mentioned that it was like Bradbury - In this book a group of strangers trapped on the highway in a snowstorm congregate in an RV. They sit around
Kristy
Feb 13, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
**Thank you to NetGalley and Flame Tree Press for a free e-copy of Snowball in exchange for an honest review.**

On a highway in New Hampshire on Christmas Eve, multiple motorists become stranded during a massive snowstorm. There's no cell phone service and even the CB radios are no longer working. But even more horrifying than this blizzard is what's waiting in the woods beyond the highway. You see, this storm was no natural occurrence; there's an evil toymaker that's playing his latest deranged
Shalini
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love me a good scare... And this was a chiller of a story. A group of people were stranded in a snowstorm on Christmas Eve. And strange things happened. They decided to join a strange couple on their RV... Soon stores about worst winters were told when they realized it was not serendipity but something else was at play. They had something in common.

My first book by George Bastianelli and I have to the say the author can give me a good scare. My love for horror got a spark up with this book. I
Steve Stred
Tapping out at 25%.
I'm never a fan of DNFing, but this one just never sucked me in. The opening chapter is great, builds suspense and a great WTF moment, but then we get 8 or 9 chapters introducing us to people I just can't care about. When stuck in a snow storm on a highway - which I've experienced a few times unfortunately - you work to conserve resources and heat. You don't typically act in completely odd ways and not at all how people would act. Having sex in a car and falling asleep? Nope.
Bandit
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one from my Christmas stash, thematically hoarded up throughout the year for the special occasion. I didn’t manage a Christmas themed scary movie this year, so I’ve made up for it in literary form. This would make a great Christmas scary movie, actually. It has all the beloved elements of the season (snow, snowmen, snowball fights and other non snow related things too), but each one turned into something sinister courtesy of the deliciously demented mind of the author. So a bunch of ...more
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
"There is no after life; there is only after death."

I couldn't imagine what it would be like to be stranded on a secluded part of a highway, in a snow storm with no ways to communicate and not knowing when and if any help would come along the way. SCARY. Which is why I love these types of survival reads. This started off well enough with getting to know the insipid characters. There was only one couple within the lot that I particularly liked but they didn't stay in the story long enough for me
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I honestly am batting 1000 with some of my holiday reads this December and I must say Snowball knocked it out of the park! The book opens with a snowplow driver on a desolate highway on Christmas Eve in the middle of a blizzard lamenting the fact that he should have retired BEFORE the holidays. Suddenly he is stuck in the middle of storm and his accident leads others to pile up behind him. The only problem is no one can find the driver, only his snowplow and a seat covered with blood.

Over the
Kimberly
SNOWBALL is the first novel I have read from author Gregory Bastianelli. This one is published by Flame Tree Press, a name that has released some of my top reads over the past two years. What begins with a snowplow blocking a road in a full-on blizzard, ends up with eight cars suddenly stuck behind it, with no help in sight.

". . . the exit ain't there. There's nothing there. Just snow."

The tension sets in immediately in this book--the reader quickly realizing that these specific people must
Janelle | She Reads with Cats
I picked up SNOWBALL by Gregory Bastianelli because HORROR and CHRISTMAS go together like CHOCOLATE and PEANUT BUTTER. It’s a delicious combo, so I am always seeking out new books to add during the winter season. This is definitely an entertaining read!

Set in New Hampshire on Christmas Eve, we follow a group of travelers that get stranded on a deserted highway during a snowstorm. A snowplow gets stuck causing an eight vehicle pileup leaving said travelers to fend for themselves. The survivors
Rob Twinem
Jan 29, 2020 rated it did not like it
Snow creates a wonderful setting and atmosphere and is particularly effective when applied to a horror story. This crisp souless, and silence stage needs little extra in the way of descriptions or characters....the silence says it all....

For the first 25% of Snowball the scene is set; a snowplough breaks down in the foulest of New Hampshire weather, leaving in its trail an asortment of abandoned vehicles. The occupants all regroup to recover in an RV, itself a casualty of the snowy conditions.
Kristi
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, horror
Creepy and atmospheric, Snowball by Gregory Bastianelli is definitely eerie and has a great premise. Set in New Hampshire, it’s Christmas Eve during a brutal snow storm and travelers are stranded on a highway. They have gathered together in the RV of a strange older couple for shelter and company. There’s seemingly no connection between them but as the evening progresses and the stranded tell their most awful winter-time stories correlations come to light.

Snowball has every element needed to
Irene
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, horror
A Christmas Eve blizzard wreaks havoc on what at first appears to be a group of random strangers trying to head home for the holiday. An accident on the highway causes the only 8 vehicles with occupants crazy enough to be out in this weather to become stranded. I love Christmas themed horror and anything to do with storms so while I already expected to love this story I was surprised to find myself mostly reading it in bed at night huddled under the blankets so as not to shiver. This book ...more
Cam
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I took a gamble with this book and I really liked it. A group of people are all stuck in a snow storm and they are all connected to someone. People start putting pieces together and realize they are all part of a bigger game, which can mean life or death.
D.K. Hundt
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
‘A group of motorists become stranded on a lonely stretch of highway during a Christmas Eve blizzard and fight for survival against an unnatural force in the storm.’

Horror and Christmas, Yes Please!

SNOWBALL, by Gregory Bastianelli, starts really good, with a few creepy scenes throughout that I really liked and some that didn’t quite hit the mark for me, but other readers may feel differently.

If the synopsis sparks your interest, then, by all means, take a bite and delve into the creative mind
Neha Singh
**ReceivedARC from netgalley in exchange for an honest review**

I requested this book because I found the premise to be totally up my alley and the kind ofhorror I like. Overall, it was a 3 star read for me. There were things Ireally liked andfew things were kind of disappointing.

Eight vehicles get stuck on their way to a highway on ChristmasEve. So, the perfect time for me to read it! And we spend the first half of the book following these people and get to know them a little. Which I think was
Nicki
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Twas the night before Christmas and instead of being in their warm homes watching the crap that passes for Christmas tv these days or being out celebrating the festive season with friends. A snowplow driver, a truck driver, a troubleshooter and his wife, a single mother and her two young children, a alcoholic Salvation Army worker, a young couple, a elderly couple and two childhood friends have found themselves stranded on a secluded highway during a severe blizzard. As time passes and the snow ...more
Melanie’s reads
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It’s been such a long time since I’ve read horror and like bumping into an old friend I welcomed this book with open arms and a nostalgic glance to my youth reading Stephen King.

The only thing missing reading this was snow outside but I won’t hold the author accountable for that. Everything else was perfect.

Ominous from the start we join a group of motorists stranded in a snow storm, the snow plough driver is missing and blood was on the driver seat but not surrounding the vehicle.

Deciding
Alondra Miller
**Received free from Netgalley in return for an honest review**

4 Stars

That was like a Twilight Episode gone bloody.

A snowstorm traps unsuspecting travelers on the highway, including the plowman. The murderous rampage that happens afterwards will leave our desperate travelers questioning every belief and wondering about the legitimacy of myths and legends.

In the end, it was all about how one small act can set off a chain reaction of happenstance and tragedy. Me; I think it was false blaming and
Elke
So much potential, such a good start, but the ending felt rather disappointing. The first half of the book was slow, but pretty good, a group of people being stranded on the motorway due to a snowstorm. Soon, they gather in a mobile home and start telling their worst winter memory. Then terror starts creeping in, as they realize they heard and saw things from these stories just outside... What an exciting idea I thought, already fantasizing about the past haunting the present, the travelers ...more
Gayle Noble
A group of people are stranded on a highway during a blizzard on Christmas Eve. An abandoned snow plough, the interior covered in blood, is the first clue that something is badly wrong. They just want to get home to their families, but this is no ordinary storm and they are about to discover, it's no ordinary highway either.

This was a very entertaining read. The story itself was fast-paced, giving the reader a short back story for each character, which gradually begins to hint where the
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• We Are Monsters
  • Slash
  • Perfect Kill (D.I. Callanach, #6)
  • Ghoster
  • The God Game
  • Those Who Came Before
  • The Other People
  • True Crime
  • Beast (Six Stories, #4)
  • The Home
  • Little Secrets
  • The Dead Girls Club
Gregory Bastianelli , a New Hampshire native, graduated from the University of New Hampshire where he studied writing under instructors Mark Smith, Thomas Williams and Theodore Weesner.
He worked for nearly two decades at a small daily newspaper where the highlights of his career were interviewing shock rocker Alice Cooper and B-movie icon Bruce Campbell.

He is the author of the novels, "Jokers