Start by marking “The Blood-Dimmed Tide (The Remembrance War #2)” as Want to Read:
The Blood-Dimmed Tide (The Remembrance War #2)

The Blood-Dimmed Tide

(The Remembrance War #2)

Book 2 in 'The Remembrance War' series. Reclaiming Earth from the Zhen was only the beginning. For the first time in a thousand years, humans walk the world where their civilizations first arose. Settlements have become towns, swelling with new settlers fleeing the oppression and lies of the Empire. For the first time in a thousand years, the human race is free. But freedo ...more
Published February 20th 2020 by Flame Tree Press (first published February 13th 2020)

Start your review of The Blood-Dimmed Tide (The Remembrance War #2)
Lel Budge
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sequel to The Widening Gyre. It can be read as a stand-alone but I feel you are missing out on a great beginning to this series.

Tajen has just married Liam, when an alert sounds. Ships have entered Earth’s atmosphere. One of these ships deliberately crashes into the shipyard and so Tajen and his new husband are back in action.

Due to the Zhen’s constant attacks, Earth’s fleet are in trouble and so Tejen, Liam and a crew head to the Kelvaki to ask for help.

But while they are away, the Zhen take
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
On my blog.

Actual rating 3.5

Rep: gay mc & li

Galley provided by publisher

I really enjoyed The Widening Gyre last year, so when I heard that there was to be a sequel, obviously it rocketed up my TBR. This sounds like a set-up to say I was disappointed: I was not. I liked this book, perhaps less so than the first, but it was still an enjoyable read.

The Blood-Dimmed Tide opens a few months after the end of The Widening Gyre. Tajen and his crew are busy defending Earth from repeated Zhen attacks,
Lel Budge
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it

But while they are away, the Zhen take
Suanne
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, lgbtqi, war
This is the second in Michael R. Johnston’s Remembrance War space opera series. It would have been helpful to have read the first, but Johnston provides enough backstory that reading the first isn’t essential. In the distant past, human destroyed their planet and took to the stars. They wandered alone in space until finally taken in by the Zhen. The Zhen were not as compassionate as they originally seemed. Earthlings remain second-class citizens. Tajen Hunt, a human, has rediscovered Earth and t ...more
Anne Szlachcic
Sep 08, 2020 marked it as to-read
If space operas with aliens , space battles , spies and the battle for the right to exist is just what you want , look no further - this book meets all these points and more .

After 800 hundred years under the yoke of the Zhen , Humanity is finally beginning to fight back .
In Tajen , Humanity finally has a Commander who is able to take the fight to the Zhen - along with his husband, Liam, his niece, Kiri, and the rest of his team the Fight for Earth just might succeed - its not a great chance but
M.E. Garber
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fast-paced sequel to his debut book, "The Widening Gyre," Johnston delivers more of exactly the right stuff. His characters are fun to be with, but never too slight or facile, and the complexities of the situations that protagonist Taken Hunt find himself in are thoroughly explored. Hint: it turns out, Tajen has plenty of room to grow and change! And of course, the dogfight in space scenes are simply spectacular in this space opera beauty. If you liked the first book, you're gonna love this on ...more
 Reading Reindeer Cobwebbed
...They thought it was over. They believed the Zhen invasion had been thoroughly repelled. Earth would be safe again at last.

....Not so.

Tajen, Liam, and crew burst into action again, because Earth MUST be defended....no matter the personal cost. THE BLOOD-DIMMED TIDE is Book 2 in THE REMEMBRANCE WAR Series, sequel to THE WIDENING GYRE.
Josh Hamacher
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
About halfway through this book, I realized I was enjoying it quite a bit less than The Widening Gyre. This was mostly because this volume was light on action and heavy on politics. Luckily, it picked up later on and I thought the ending more than made up for it. I can't wait for the sequel.
Christopher Gerrib
They say history is the raw material of fiction. This book is very much a case in point. It's book 2 in a series, and opens about a year after the events of the previous book. Tajen Hunt has led a group of humans in reclaiming an uninhabited Earth from the Zhen Empire. Said empire had claimed to "save" humanity from the wreck of a slower-than-light starship.

Here's where the history comes in. The template for the events of this book are based on the Irish war of independence which started with th
Beverly Caouette
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid 4.7!

I was so excited to see the follow up to The Widening Gyre. It was an excellent second to the series and I am now fully anticipating the next! You won't be disappointed!
Gregory Clinton
May 18, 2019
Jonathan Tripp
Jun 11, 2019
Michael Johnston
Jun 17, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: i-wrote
Jan 28, 2020

• In the Dream House: A Memoir
  • Wild Game: My Mother, Her Lover, and Me
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • The Last Emperox (The Interdependency, #3)
  • A Pale Light in the Black (NeoG #1)
  • Vendetta in Death (In Death, #49)
  • Best Kept Secrets
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • I Never Told You
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1: The Faust Act (The Wicked + The Divine, #1)
  • Sixteenth Watch
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb #1)
  • Mexican Gothic
  • The City We Became (Great Cities #1)
  • A Second, Less Capable, Head and Other Rogue Stories
  • Gods of Jade and Shadow
  • We Are Monsters
  • The Need
Michael R. Johnston is a high school English teacher and writer living in Sacramento, California with his wife, daughter, and more cats than strictly necessary. He can be found at mjohnstonbooks.com and Twitter @MREJohnston

The Remembrance War (2 books)
  • The Widening Gyre (The Remembrance War #1)