Start by marking “The Real Ebonics Debate: Power, Language, and the Education of African-American Children” as Want to Read:

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  54 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
In the winter of 1996, the Oakland school board's resolution recognizing Ebonics as a valid linguistic system generated a brief firestorm of hostile criticism and misinformation, then faded from public consciousness. But in the classrooms of America, the question of how to engage the distinctive language of many African-American children remains urgent. In The Real Ebonics ...more
Published June 17th 1998 by Beacon Press

To ask other readers questions about The Real Ebonics Debate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Real Ebonics Debate

Jonathan
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I actually don't think white teachers like me should be allowed in the classroom without reading this book.
sydney
Aug 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: educators
I heard about the Ebonics debate when I was younger but never really understood it. Like a lot of people, I assumed that some school system out in California had resolved to stop teaching black children Standard English and teach them Ebonics, instead. I also mistakenly thought that Ebonics was some sort of slang or sloppy English.

This book, a series of essays, interviews, and documents, tackles all of those misperceptions and prejudices and gets to the root of the Ebonics debate. The authors e
Jill
Aug 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
This was written as a result of a decision by the Oakland, CA school board validating Ebonics as a language, as you would classify "French" or "English" a language.

I read the book during research for a thesis in my linguistics class and became really interested in the subject. I even changed my thesis to examine the validity of Ebonics as a language. Really, really fascinating.
Grace
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a must-read for educators in the U.S. It opened my eyes to the Ebonics debate and inspired me to create a more open-minded environment in terms of different types of spoken language in the classroom. It is well worth the read!
Miss Ary