Start by marking “Delusions of Clarity: A Novel of Intrigue and Perception” as Want to Read:
Delusions of Clarity: A Novel of Intrigue and Perception

Delusions of Clarity: A Novel of Intrigue and Perception

Karl Jommers is a straight-shooting therapist committed to helping blue-collar men overcome their reluctance to seek counseling, a mission instilled in him after the suicide of his steelworker father.

After a cop is set up to be shot, Jommers must evaluate the two police officers involved. They both offer conflicting accounts, but neither is lying. Their divergent perspecti
Published March 4th 2019 by Mando Forte Books

To ask other readers questions about Delusions of Clarity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Delusions of Clarity

Start your review of Delusions of Clarity: A Novel of Intrigue and Perception
Argenis Ovalle-Sánchez
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Delusions of Clarity skilfully portrays the psychological side of police work that is often hidden. As Jommers gets to the bottom of the tragedy, he exposes his own psyche to the dangers of corrupted police work. Not only do we meet the professional, we also meet the regular Joe who wasn't blessed enough to keep work away from home. Truly an amazing read.
Linda Strong
A novel of intrigue, suspense, and perception, the reader is introduced to Karl Jommers. Karl is a therapist who is available to help the everyday man ... and the police department.

One of the cops is set up to be shot. Karl is called upon to evaluate the two police officers who are involved. The 2 cops each tell a different story, but Karl doesn't believe either of them are lying. Their perspectives are blurred by their own personalities and beliefs, as well as politics.

Trying to unravel the di
Viga Boland
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very heady, intelligent read

If you decide to read this book, you need to be a patient reader. After all it’s over 600 pages long. But it isn’t the length that requires patience as much as the contents. I thought I was in for an intriguing mystery of sorts. Well it is that, but it’s a whole lot more. I don’t think I have ever read a book that digs so deeply into the psychological make up of the characters involved in this mystery. For those who love reading what makes people tick, especially from
Mark Smith
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Vern Bryk is on the fast-track to an award-winning novel. He aptly describes the various mental health needs and problems while maintaining an air of fiction. This unique work is fast-paced and not meant for the average reader though. Some readers may find it difficult to keep up with the plot and fast changing scenes. On the other hand, readers will connect with Bryk’s characters as they are three-dimensional and full of mystery and intrigue.
Nicholas Toth
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a great page-turner, a thriller rich in intrigue, conspiracy, corruption, and murder, this is a mystery novel for you. The protagonist is neither a cop nor detective, but rather a cash-strapped psychologist working for the local police department.
Something is very rotten in the Lake Erie coastal city of Grayton, Ohio, as the main character, Karl Jommers, slowly but steadily comes to realize. He is a blues-loving psychologist working for the Grayton police department, ass
Mrs Rj
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Just as the title states, this is indeed a book that is full of intrigue. We all would like to think that the police are trustworthy and genuinely looking out for our good but this is a concept that is shot to pieces as the story unfolds. Karl Jommers, a psychologist who is contracted to assess and support police officers who have faced trauma, is involved in a tense stand off with a distressed cop. The ensuing fall out had me on the edge of my seat. As he is faced with an irresistible draw to u ...more
Willow Moon Greymoor
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Suspense, drama, and psychology!

Fastidious writing, engaging narrative, blended with elements of day-to-day life, and the harrowing details of the crimes and traumas the police force is faced with daily. This book is undoubtedly one of the most intriguing psychological crime novels I have read in the past several years.

The characters reflected authentic life; the pages of the novel are peppered with disheveled men, depressed women, blatant psychos, and many ever-cunning covert criminals. Bryk’
Hannah Barry
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book truly was a novel of intrigue and perception. Not only did this book move with such a curious mix of fast-paced ease and suspense, but it was also an incredibly apt book. To bring the ideas of therapy and people's need/access to appropriate mental health services was s breath of fresh air. Furthermore, bringing to the forefront the idea that we are all infinitely similar yet so very different in our individual needs and life experiences really helped this book be that much more relatab ...more
Amanda Waters
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Delusions of Clarity deftly weaves elements of crime fiction, psychological intrigue, mystery, and philosophical musings into an engaging and fascinating story. While the well-written plot will keep you turning pages, it's not necessarily fast-paced as the reader spends a lot of time with the main character getting to know him and the people he interacts with in the days following a drug bust gone wrong and the resulting tragic murder. The setting is also a sneakily great part of the book, vivid ...more
T.S.
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is one of the better crime fiction novels I have read lately. Pacing was pretty good. It wasn't super faced paced and slowed down at appropriate to give the reader a break to process. The author also made time to develop the main character as well. That usually isn't always the case so kudos to the author on that. The book also focuses on the important topic we see today in regards to access to mental health services. And while crime fiction, the author doesn't do anything offensive or in t ...more
Ed Malaker
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Delusions of Clarity is a well-written book that is suspenseful and moves along nicely. It's not only a great story, it also makes you look at yourself in a new light as well as police and psychology.
I love crime stories, and this is one of the better ones I've read in a while. It's a good length book that has everything you're looking for and makes you stick around until the end. The characters and their actions are understandable and relatable. It never gets boring.
I'd recommend this book to
Nicole
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is a unique suspense novel that takes a look at two separate accounts of two police officers involved in the death of another cop. Main character Karl Jommers doesn't believe either one is lying which makes him investigate the crime even further. This puts his life at risk. I thought this was a very well-written novel. Although at times, I thought the dialogue could be kind of heavy sometimes, I was still really roped into figuring out what happened. I definitely recommend this one!
Kerrie
Jan 15, 2020
Joy
Feb 03, 2020

• Anonymous Is a Woman: A Global Chronicle of Gender Inequality
  • The One and Only (The ELI Chronicles, #1)
  • Ryan's Robot
  • The Tether (The ELI Chronicles, #2)
  • The Perfection of Fish
  • Threads: A Depression Era Tale
  • When Worms Abandon Their Burrows
  • A Bounty with Strings (Bounty series, #1)
  • The Secret Diaries of Juan Luis Vives: A Novel
  • The Art of the Insurance Deal
  • The Hitler Progeny
  • Honeymoon Alone
  • The Advisor: Intrigue in Tuscany (Nico Argenti #2)
  • The Necessity of Finance: An Overview of the Science of Management of Wealth for an Individual, a Group, or an Organization
  • The Most Important Lessons in Economics and Finance: A Comprehensive Collection of Time-Tested Principles of Wealth Management
  • Zombies, Fratboys, Monster Flash Mobs & Other Terrifying Things I saw at the Gates of Hell Cotillion (Snog Team Six, #2)
  • Santa in a Snow Globe
  • The Conscious Whole
Vern Bryk is a writer in Cleveland, Ohio.
He previously worked as a journalist and magazine editor.

News & Interviews