Start by marking “Ghost Tree” as Want to Read:
Ghost Tree

Ghost Tree

(Ghost Tree #1-4)

A touching graphic novel about love, loss, and how the past never truly stays dead.

Seeking a refuge from an unhappy life, Brandt returns to his ancestral home in Japan to find a haunted tree and the departed souls that are drawn to it, including his Grandfather. Getting more involved with the tree's inhabitants he attempts to heal some of history's wounds but will he be
Published December 10th 2019 by IDW Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Tree

Start your review of Ghost Tree
Kyriaki
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kyriaki by: Oneirosophos
Shelves: comic, fantasy
Ξεκίνησε πολύ creepy, και ήταν πολύ ατμοσφαιρικό! Όμορφη ιστορία που μιλούσε για την απώλεια, αυτούς που πεθαίνουν και αυτούς που μένουν πίσω, το παρελθόν και τη δύναμη που έχει πάνω στο παρόν μας, ενώ για κάποιο λόγο μου θύμιζε και λίγο τον Ωκεανό στο τέλος του δρόμου. Θα ήθελα όμως να ήταν λίγο μεγαλύτερο!
Amanja
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it

This review will contain spoilers, however, since the book is only about 100 pages long I will not also be writing a separate spoiler free review. It's okay, a good story is still a good story even if you know what's going to happen.

Ghost Tree is a short graphic novel about loss, grief, living in the past, and dealing with cultural differences when you claim more than one home. It is also about what happens when you are too busy finding yourself to nurture those around you.

Brandt is a
Dávid Novotný
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful, melancholic and sad story that will touch your heart, with little pinch of supernatural. Art is little rough, but nice. Very pleasant short read
Simon
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
What an absolute force, what a pleasant surprise, what a freaking book.
Lushly illustrated with green hues all over, Ghost Tree is set, for the most part, in a Japanese forest where ghosts gather to voice their unrest and cling on to life, whatever it may be.
It's tough to explain the magnificence of this mini-series without piling on quotes from it (the first pages of issue 4 are some of the most simplistically poignant writing and they spoke to me) or just endlessly praising the thick atmosphere
Jakub Kvíz
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Ghost Tree je kratka, jednoducha, melancholicka zalezitost, ktera neurazi a v pripade, ze mate radi urcitej typ koncu, tak i nadchne (ctvrtou hvezdu davam vylozene za nej!).

Pribeh je opravdu kratkej a je to spis takova pocitovka o lasce, zivote, smrti a hlavne o tom, ze clovek, kterej se prilis upina k minulosti, casto zapomina na pritomnost.

Pokud mate chut na neco, co vas, podobne treba jako Daytripper, dovede k zamysleni, tak dejte sanci Ghost Tree.
Alex
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: american-indies
Bittersweet story about the loss of love and family, with an unexpected ending that stole the show. Tbh, I expected the cheesy happily-ever-after ending and the comic earns a lot of credit for exactly not doing that. Finally, we need to start having slice-of-life comic books that are...realistic. Other than that, it doesn't stand out of hundrend of new-age SoL BDs with the same themes.

Art is sweet, not my cup-of-tea though.
Robin Bonne
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The art is lovely, especially the panels with forest and foliage. I was going to give it three stars until I got to the ending, which was so perfect to the story that I had to bump my rating up to four.
Shannon
Individual issue reviews: #1 | #2 | #3 | #4

Current review score: 3.75
Oneirosophos
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This... This is one of the best supernatural stories I've ever read!

A true hidden gem, a masterpiece!!

Must read for everyone!!!
Alexander Peterhans
A gentle, moving story about accepting life and death, about fighting for the life you want and not hiding from life, and about not always getting what you want. Dusted with a light (and not always convincing) sprinkling of the supernatural.

I thought the ending regarding a certain evil was a bit rote, and felt underwritten. The actual emotional ending I thought was beautiful, and really moved me (which is not an easy task to achieve).

I'm a fan of Simon Gane's art, and he does not disappoint.

Tom
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I found this to be a wonderful surprise. The story is nothing earth shattering and new, but it’s well done. The characters come to life in a short time and leave you worried for their futures. The artwork is gorgeous. I’m looking forward to the rest of the run.
hissi
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
A guy returns to Japan after spending his adult years abroad because he promised his grandfather when he was a kid to do so. The hero of the story returns and spends his time talking to ghosts such as his grandfather and his ex girlfriend. There is a bit of mystery when it comes to the ghosts but the author chose to voice the grandpa's regrets: talking to ghosts instead of living his life while he was alive. Warning his grandson not to repeat his mistake. (even though he told him to come back, ...more
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, graphic-novel
I loved the lush greens of the art in this book. This is a reminder that even though we’re trying to heal ourselves and our own feelings of inadequacy, we can’t expect other people to always be on the same path as us. Brandt’s relationships with his family and his wife are complicated; even though he eventually finds the seemingly best way for him to heal, there’s no guarantee for how things will turn out. I loved this melancholy message. The ghosts themselves were full of fascinating stories - ...more
Andrew
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Life doesn't always turn out the way you want, no matter what you do. But the ghosts have things to teach us...and we can teach them too. At the human level, this is a great story arc, truly transcending what it starts out as. The romantic in me wants an epilogue that reassures me, but that's not what the story is about.
Liz
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
I like that the ending is not a happy one. I could do with more ghost time, but it was a nice read.
Josée
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
I thought it'd like this more, but it was just alright. Nothing really stood out for me.
John
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Haunting.
Sesana
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
A moving story with a surprising ending. Great work.
eHawk
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z2019q4, comics, hoopla
Beautifully illustrated, interesting story. Definitely one where I liked everyone else more than the main character.
Michelle
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
A moving story about love, loss, family and missed opportunities. Nice art work and the ending was very fitting.
Tom Never
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very nice short story with a clear and interesting graphic. One star for it.

Not much is revealed. As in life, certain mysteries will remain hidden and concealed but the author gives us enough to play along with the plot.

It has so a very nice, well put and very real bittersweet ending which has surprised me and earned another star.
One more star came from another major surprise from within the story. I offer no spoilers.
(n/a: reading so much, it becomes difficult to find moments such as "oh, I
Darren Cools