Start by marking “Above All Else” as Want to Read:
Above All Else

Above All Else

In a fictional tale as riveting, irresistible, and heartbreaking as Into Thin Air, teen climbing prodigies Rose and Tate attempt to summit—and survive—Mount Everest.

Rose Keller and Tate Russo have been climbing for years, training in harsh weather and traveling all over the world. The goal that kept them going: summiting Mount Everest, the highest point on earth.
Expected publication: October 13th 2020 by Charlesbridge (first published 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Above All Else, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Above All Else

Start your review of Above All Else
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
Just received this ARC. I have liked tales about climbing Everest ever since I first read “Into Thin Air” which was an awesome retelling of the deadliest year on Everest. When I first read the blurb, I thought it was a bit far-fetched since the two main characters are in their senior year of high school. However, I have heard of a guy without legs, a blind man, an 85 year old man and two different 13 year old kids have all climbed the mountain.

BLURB:
Rose Keller and Tate Russo have been climbing
Hristina
I skimmed my way through this book. I tried to get into it a few times, and I failed at every attempt. I didn't want to DNF it, so I had to resort to the next best thing.
I think the writing was okay, and it has potentially interesting characters, but none of it intrigued me enough. It wasn't for me.

*Copy received through NetGalley in exchange for a fair review
*Rating: 2/5 stars
Caroline Bertaud
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have never dreamed of climbing Mount Everest—nor will I ever—but it was an interesting read. I imagined going there was hard, I hadn't known how much. I really liked this story, going up and higher with two eighteen-year-olds and their courage and fear, liked the bits about the locals and the unique, deadly business of helping tourists realize their dreams. All the characters were very likable, which is definitely a plus. I'd recommend this book to young YA.
Thanks to NetGalley and the
Moony MeowPoff
Dec 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF at 20%
I see that many people love the book and i understand that, but this book sadly wasn't for me.. I couldn't invest with any of the characters and it seemed i didn't like any of them. The writing was a bit annoying also.
Shruthi
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review to come.
Vaiomo
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
I don't know about this one. I guess this one just wasn't for me.

For people who are gonna read this, there are minor spoilers in this.

Thank you to the publisher for giving me an arc of this book for an honest review.

I went into this book with an open mind, I had never read a book about climbing before so I was very intrigued. I went into the book getting to know the characters and all things went well.

Characters looked great and they want to climb the Mount Everest cool. Okay so they want to
Sarah (Cover to Cover Reviews)
This is it, guys - my last ARC of 2019. Whoa. Crazy, right?

Okay, first off. That cover! Easily one of the prettiest covers I've seen this year. That was what initially drew me in but it was the premise - when else are you ever going to find a YA book about teenage mountaineers climbing Mt. Everest? - that made me request it. And to that end, it definitely lived up to my expectations. But in other ways, it really didn't. Let me explain:

Starting off with the good, the author clearly did her
Dana Levy
Jan 08, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
DISCLOSURE FOR ANYONE WHO THINKS I'M BEING SNEAKY! I wrote this book! (I am not giving it any stars, not because I don't think it deserves them, but because rating my own book as "5 stars" feels weird.) BUT. I will write about it here, in case anyone else wants to know what was going on in the mind of a forty-something-year-old woman who lives very happily at sea level (I LOVE YOU, OXYGEN!), who decided to write about teens climbing Mount Everest.
Here's the thing about this book: I started
Cindy Tran
Jan 16, 2020 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book. I even feel apologetic now, as I sit here and say that I've made it as far as I can: 43%. There are a few things that I liked, but the overwhelming majority of my thoughts are negative. I'll explain in detail below why I stopped the book despite wanting so badly to enjoy it.

Positive:
- World building! The suffocating air, the altitude, the bad decision of looking down, letting the dizziness from the height overwhelm them, the adrenaline as their hands shake on
Megan Schmelzer
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Above All Else is a story that is not for the faint of heart.

Fueled by the desire to climb the highest and most dangerous mountain in the world, Rose and Tate's friendship has always been united by their common dream to summit Mount Everest. Together with Rose's mother and Tate's father, the adventurous group of four has spent hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars chasing the most challenging of climbs.

Rose and Tate have no idea what is in store for them as they head out to climb Mount
Emily Wind
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This book has such an interesting premise and covers a topic that I've never read about before–climbing Mount Everest. As someone who knows nothing about the mountain or climbing in general, this was definitely an eye-opening look at the realities of what it takes to make the summit. The author struck a great balance between the climb itself and the emotional journey each character
Marilyne
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vo-2020, kindle-2020
I've never really been interested in climbing and Everest and all those things, but I felt very attracted to this book.
I learned a lot about climbing Everest (and comforted me in the idea that I'll never ever go this high), and this was my favorite part of the book. The romance did not take too much place, and the balance between the characters' personal problems and their climbing doubts was perfectly found.
It made me cry (several times), it scared me, and it made me feel addicted. I could
Katie Eaton
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have climbed one mountain, it was 11,000 feet and I barely made it to the top. Even the idea of climbing Everest scares me! This book taught be so much about climbing and climbing Everest. I had a hard time picturing some of the scenes, but I watched multiple YouTube videos in conjunction that it much more interesting. The idea that 18 year olds doing that climb was insane. I really enjoyed the character development of both the main and supporting characters, the plot, and those last 100 pages ...more
Tfalcone
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you Net Galley for the free ARC. Mountain climbing is like a drug, it is something you need, but you also know it can kill you. Great story about two families who have planned the climb of a lifetime on Mt. Everest and the reality of the dangers that await them
Svea
Annie K.
May 15, 2019
Kdmittens
May 24, 2019

• Thin Air (Jessica Shaw #1)
  • The Kiss Thief
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 1 [Boku No Hero Academia 1] (My Hero Academia, #1)
  • I've Got Your Number
  • Lab Partners
  • The Prosperity Gospel: How Scott Morrison won and Bill Shorten lost (Quarterly Essay #74)
  • Gemina (The Illuminae Files, #2)
  • The Burning
  • The Swing of Things
  • You Exist Too Much
  • Sisters by Choice (Blackberry Island, #4)
  • The Sunday Potluck Club (The Sunday Potluck Club, #1)
  • In Bed with the Earl (Lost Lords of London, #1)
  • First Came Us
  • Slumber
  • The Death of the Author
  • A Cursed Love
  • Ağaçtaki Kız
Dana Alison Levy was raised by pirates but escaped at a young age and went on to earn a degree in aeronautics and puppetry. Actually, that’s not true—she just likes to make things up. That’s why she always wanted to write books. She was born and raised in New England and studied English literature before going to graduate school for business. While there is value in all learning, had she known she ...more