Start by marking “The Spoilt Quilt and Other Frontier Stories: Pioneering Women of the West” as Want to Read:
The Spoilt Quilt and Other Frontier Stories: Pioneering Women of the West

The Spoilt Quilt and Other Frontier Stories: Pioneering Women of the West

Hardcover
Published November 20th 2019 by Five Star Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Spoilt Quilt and Other Frontier Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spoilt Quilt and Other Frontier Stories

Start your review of The Spoilt Quilt and Other Frontier Stories: Pioneering Women of the West
Margaret Mizushima
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m fortunate to have received an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.
I loved The Spoilt Quilt, and I highly recommend it. These stories were right up my alley, since I enjoy reading about brave women and their lives in the American West. This fine anthology includes stories written by two of my favorite historical fiction authors: New York Times bestselling author, Sandra Dallas, and two-time Colorado Book Awards finalist, Pat Stoltey.

The opening story that shares its name with
Nancy
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Not what I expected, a book about quilts and quilt stories, though there were quilts mentioned in some of the stories. It's short stories about what people can endure and can do, both to survive and to get their self respect back.

There are some things I will have a hard time forgetting. Real or fiction, these stories will not be easily forgotten.
Wanda
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just finishing Spoilt Quilts, an amazing anthology of short stories about women and men and the western frontier. Not for the faint of heart, but a realistic recounting of this life for some women. Hard to read. Excellent writing, especially Candace Simar’s story. Recommend
Valerie
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
The first story was okay, didn't care for the second. I did like the third one. We'll see what I think of the rest.
Some were good, some I didn’t enjoy, but I’m glad I read this.
Randi Samuelson-Brown
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: finished
I am reviewing an ARC copy provided by the publisher.

This is a really great collection of stories about the women (and sometimes husbands and other family members) who either settled the west or were native inhabitants. The anthology provides diverse perspectives on life in the west -and none of it is coming across as easy. One thread that runs through the majority of stories is the element of hope for a better life, and the necessities of survival.

A great book to read a story or two at a time.
Phoebe
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommended to Phoebe by: JA Clemens
This collection of short stories either narrated by or featuring women in 1800s western territories is hard to put down, despite uneven storytelling and editing. Lesser-known writers rub shoulders with Sandra Dallas, who headlines prominently on the cover. Making a go of it in the West was really about surviving extremes, which these stories grittily describe. From the mail order bride left unwanted on the train platform who finds herself trapped in an unending nightmare of abuse, to the young ...more
Rachel
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
Individually, the stories are okay, but Hazel Romney, the editor, certainly worked hard to lead readers to believe only white women could be be “pioneering women of the West.” I was so excited to read this anthology, naively thinking there would be at least ONE story out of sixteen written by a person of color about a person of color. Nope. Not even in 2019. At least I now know Five Star Publishing’s motivations.
Patricia Stoltey
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Pioneer women lived in harsh times and difficult conditions, so not all of the stories in this collection have happy endings. However, the title story is by the wonderful Sandra Dallas, both male and female authors have written great characters and plots, and, I must mention, the collection also contains my own short story, "Good Work for a Girl."
Deb.mcquillangmail.com
Wonderful short stories with lovely strong women characters.
Lori
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm not usually a short story lover but these were good. Life in the west, strong women, emotional stories.
Jenny
Dec 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed these stories of pioneering women. I especially enjoyed The Spoilt Quilt, Nest and The Devil’s Rope. Women were clever and hard working. They were underestimated but so very capable
Janice
Midge
Aug 16, 2019
Sheila
Aug 20, 2019
Goodreads Librari...: Adding anthology to my author page 3 13 May 20, 2019 08:20AM

• The Fall of Richard Nixon: A Reporter Remembers Watergate
  • Red at the Bone
  • The Girl Who Lived Twice (Millennium, #6)
  • How to Survive the Titanic: or, The Sinking of J. Bruce Ismay
  • Never Have I Ever
  • The Ghosts of Eden Park: The Bootleg King, the Women Who Pursued Him, and the Murder That Shocked Jazz-Age America
  • Love and Death Among the Cheetahs (Her Royal Spyness #13)
  • The Christmas Pearl
  • The Thirteenth Tale
  • Fingersmith
  • Cold Mountain
  • The Cases That Haunt Us
Award-winning author SANDRA DALLAS was dubbed “a quintessential American voice” by Jane Smiley, in Vogue Magazine. Sandra’s novels with their themes of loyalty, friendship, and human dignity have been translated into a dozen foreign languages and have been optioned for films.

A journalism graduate of the University of Denver, Sandra began her writing career as a reporter with Business Week. A staff