Start by marking “Old Man Country: My Search for Meaning Among the Elders” as Want to Read:
Old Man Country: My Search for Meaning Among the Elders

Old Man Country: My Search for Meaning Among the Elders

We aspire to live in a country where old men are celebrated as vital elders but not demeaned if they become ill and dependent. We aspire to maintain health as well as maintain dignity and fulfillment in frailty. Old Man Country helps readers see and imagine these possibilities for themselves. The book follows the journey of a writer in search of wisdom, as he encounters ...more
Published December 3rd 2019 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published November 1st 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Old Man Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Man Country

Start your review of Old Man Country: My Search for Meaning Among the Elders
Christina Dudley
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, nonfiction
As Cole the author faces his own "Fourth Age" in life, he takes on the project of interviewing men further along the path. In the process, he faces the own breakdowns and discoveries in his own life. The findings range from interesting to eye-rolling. In short, spiritually it's a free-for-all, physically it sucks, and depression hits you hard.

He asks good questions, but not many of the men seem equipped to wrestle with the questions head-on. And the chapter where he and his second wife discover
Cyd
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this because I plan to become an old man myself (I'm 54, it's not that far away), and it has definitely helped me with perspective on the already-old or approaching-old men I know and care about. Cole writes well about the various men (and their partners, in some cases) he interviewed for the book, as well as about his own journey as a male person, now in his 60s, in the U.S.

The only thing I found frustrating about it was the GLARING typos--particularly in one chapter, in which one
Joseph T.
Dec 22, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not only worthless, terrible!

Author is very self absorbed inserting vast amounts of autobiographical nonsense throughout, including justification for his infidelity.

The times he drifts into the subject matter, he "interviews" only the rich and famous. Certainly not reflective of real life. By way of full disclosure, I decided not to waste any more of what's left of my life by finishing this exercise in self promotion.
Stephen
Jan 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
I was hoping for some wisdom pulled from many in depth conversations with some titanic Octagenarian+ men. Instead, it seems like most of the people interviewed were strangers (not all) to the author who met with him one or fewer times, not enough to be honest or let their true character come through in a way that the author could capture. Great idea for a book, but its execution didn't grab me.
Cmrhudy
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I found this book thought provoking. I have been frustrated by the invisibility and dismissal that aging brings, a product of a culture that is afraid of aging.
Whether or not this book gives you the answers you seek about old age, it does arm you with some questions.
Mark E McGovern
Jan 09, 2020
Youree Soh
Jan 09, 2020

• Dreamland: The True Tale of America's Opiate Epidemic
  • Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth
  • Barnaby Rudge
  • A Simple Story
  • Scenes of Clerical Life
  • The Sentence is Death (Hawthorne, #2)
  • Crime in Progress: Inside the Steele Dossier and the Fusion GPS Investigation of Donald Trump
  • A Warning
  • Life Undercover: Coming of Age in the CIA
  • Women Rowing North: Navigating Life’s Currents and Flourishing As We Age
  • Queen Anne's Lace (China Bayles #26)
  • The Brewsters
  • Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
  • Time for School, Mouse!
  • Mary Poppins (Mary Poppins, #1)
  • Midnight in the Dollhouse
  • Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, #1)
  • Madeline's Christmas