Jump to ratings and reviews
Civil war has come to the island of Bellona. Veda Adeline believes in the Night. She’s joined the underground revolutionaries, led by Dorian Winters, and they're determined to overthrow the ruling Imperi and find justice for her people.

Nico Denali, Veda’s childhood friend and maybe-something-more, is one of those ruling Imperi, and he’s just been named heir to the most powerful man above ground.

As the war intensifies, Veda and Nico are leveraged against each other: Veda is above as a hostage of the Imperi and Nico is below, taken by the Night. There's no way Dorian is letting such a valuable hostage go.

The island will burn unless Veda and Nico can come together to rip everything apart. But Nico and Dorian will never trust each other, and Veda's heart might be the biggest casualty.

The stakes are all or nothing in this second and final book in the BEWARE THE NIGHT duology.

304 pages, Hardcover

First published March 10, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jessika Fleck

5 books176 followers
Jessika Fleck is a YA & MG author, unapologetic coffee drinker, and knitter — she sincerely hopes to one day discover a way to do all three at once. Until then, she continues collecting vintage typewriters and hourglasses, dreaming of an Ireland getaway, and convincing her husband they NEED more kittens. Her YA debut, THE CASTAWAYS (Entangled TEEN), is now available. As is her YA fantasy, BEWARE THE NIGHT (Swoon Reads/Macmillan) and the sequel, DEFY THE SUN. Her first MG book, MOLLY AND THE TWIN TOWERS: A 9/11 SURVIAL STORY just released. More book news at www.jessikafleck.com.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
22 (10%)
1 star
8 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 62 reviews
Profile Image for Finitha Jose.
292 reviews48 followers
March 11, 2020
Book two in the series takes off directly from where the last book ended. And there is one plus point: we get to hear the voice of Nico this time along with Veda. Except for the love triangle part, I had loved the first book and 'Defy the Sun' doesn't disappoint either.

Things escalate as the two heirs are taken captive which also gives them an opportunity to sway the enemy to their side to create a unified front. Nico as always is my favourite: his irrevocable love towards Veda, the driving force behind all his actions is quite admirable. Veda, on the other hand, is not that great on the constant part but I am glad that she made a decision at the end.

Some characters like Poppy is particularly missed even with the others trying to fill the gap. I loved Nico's mother particularly, even with her small but relevant part. The conclusion, I felt, could have been drawn out a bit more with added amounts of anxiety. There are some deaths, but we get the happy ending we waited for: ad astra. Altogether, an engaging and enjoyable read!
Profile Image for Katherine.
261 reviews151 followers
May 20, 2021
I loved the first book, but I struggled with the sequel. I think I just hate reading about love triangles 😌. I dont know...I feel like this duology could have just remained one book. Despite this I enjoyed Jessika Flecks easy writing style, so its worth reading at least the first book.

(3) 🌟🌟🌟
Profile Image for Emma Reads .
151 reviews37 followers
March 15, 2020
i liked this second and final book a lot more than the first one! this was a great dystopian duology.
Profile Image for Jennifer Holik.
133 reviews8 followers
June 9, 2020
Ugh. I have been avoiding writing this review. I actually really enjoyed the book except for one thing. I do not like the resolution to the love triangle. I knew it was going to end up the way it did, but I did not like it. I should have known because I hated Nico almost from the start. I can't put my finger on why, exactly, but I did. Seriously when I was reading the first book and they first introduced him I was like "please don't let this be her love interest". I also shouldn't have been surprised because YA fiction has a way of almost always choosing the shittier person to "win" in the end. I know there was a lot of stuff in the first book about how Nico always was good to Veda despite her being Basso. But I didn't buy that. There was way too much that came across like he was doing her some big favor and he still made lots of comments that made him come off as a clueless elitist. Dorian was good, sweet, and down to earth. So naturally he gets screwed in this whole deal.

My rating of 4 stars is disregarding this information above because I didn't think it fair to rate an entire book, especially one this good, just because I didn't like the guy she ended up with. But I am really mad about that.
Profile Image for Dana.
126 reviews
December 21, 2020
2.2 stars !! This book went into a different direction than the first but somehow I ended up exactly where was last time, which was bored. There was a lot going on, but whether I still couldn't relate to the characters or couldn't get into the story, I was just bored. Reading to finish it, rather than enjoy it.

This may be just me, who prefers a good rebellion plot more than a love triangle, but I would have preferred less focus on the romance. I wanted, and expected, a book on an epic revolution, and instead got a love triangle with a stressful setting. With all this, the story ended up falling very short for me.

I did enjoy the dual perspective of Veda and Nico. I wish they did this in the first book as well, I did love the juxtaposition of it. Though in the end, I feel like I have little to no opinion on this series because of my boredom with it, and it wasn't for me and I didn't enjoy it.
Profile Image for AMY.
101 reviews2 followers
March 10, 2020
felt a little disappointed with this book but nonetheless i did enjoy the whole series it was a fun read
Profile Image for Monica.
481 reviews95 followers
February 20, 2020
**Disclaimer: I was given a free e-book of the below in exchange for an honest review as part of a tour hosted by Xpresso Tours via NetGalley.**

Title Defy the Sun (The Offering Series #2)

Author Jessika Fleck

Release Date March 10, 2020

Publisher Swoon Reads

Description from Amazon

Civil war has come to the island of Bellona. Veda Adeline believes in the Night. She’s joined the underground revolutionaries, led by Dorian Winters, and they’re determined to overthrow the ruling Imperi and find justice for her people.

As the war intensifies, Veda and Nico are leveraged against each other: Veda is above as a hostage of the Imperi and Nico is below, taken by the Night. There’s no way Dorian is letting such a valuable hostage go.

The island will burn unless Veda and Nico can come together to rip everything apart. But Nico and Dorian will never trust each other, and Veda’s heart might be the biggest casualty.

Initial Thoughts

Beware the Night had such an epic (cliffhanger-filled) ending – I literally started Defy the Sun immediately. Needless to say, I was really excited to read this book.

Some Things I Liked

No magic. I know, what am I saying? I love magic in books. However, I absolutely loved that this was a story that didn’t have any magic. Normally, no magic = sci-fi but, that wasn’t the case at all here and I can’t praise it any more highly. I thought the political plots were the stars here.
Dystopian vibes without being sci-fi. I loved that this book had a non-specified time frame. I didn’t overthink it and I didn’t dwell on it. I loved that the society felt dystopian, but there weren’t unexplainable elements (like the technology featured in The Hunger Games).
Two-book series. I loved that this was a duology. Two books perfectly captured this story and it’s been a while since I read a good duology.

One Thing I Wasn’t Crazy About

That love triangle. I know, I know, I said that was my core issue with Beware the Night, but I just feel so bad for all of them. Poor Veda is torn, and poor Dorian and Nico both think they’re going to get the girl. *Spoiler Alert*, only one of them gets the girl. I just felt so bad for the disappointed party in this love triangle, it broke my heart.

Series Value

Swoon Reads and Jessika Fleck, please give me a spin-off / sequel / novella (whatever you want) about that character I mentioned above! I’d love to revisit this setting and see how this society is doing.

Final Thoughts

I really enjoyed this duology and particularly, this book. My only issue was the resolution of the love triangle, but other than that, this was a solid four-star read for me.

⭐⭐⭐⭐

Recommendations for Further Reading

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins – if you liked the revolutionary vibes as well as the concept of “the offering” in Beware the Night, definitely check out The Hunger Games trilogy.
Frostblood by Elly Blake – if you liked the love triangle as well as the idea of a persecuted group of people that leads to the main character smack in the middle of a revolution, try this trilogy by Elly Blake.
Wicked Saints by Emily A. Duncan – if you liked the mysterious, revolution vibes as well as the day / night duology, check out this series. The sequel, Ruthless Gods, is coming out in April.
Profile Image for DuchessReads.
77 reviews
July 1, 2021
4.5⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ for this. Defy the Sun is way more better than Beware the Night. This has more actions than the book 1. I really enjoyed it. It started right where it left on the book 1 but I liked that the recap is not repetitive in this book. Almost feels like its a brand new story. High Regent's ending is satisfying but not the Sindaco's. Also hate the love triangle but I think, I would've pick HIM too. But overall, I loved it!
Profile Image for K.L. Hallam.
Author 7 books57 followers
April 25, 2020
Jessika’s such a fantastic writer, and this book brings you right back to heart-thumping and into Veda’s POV — and Nico’s this time. Gripping emotions in a dystopian world ravaged by civil war. Such a fun reading escape!
Profile Image for Faith.
5 reviews1 follower
Read
September 19, 2022
lowkey didn't realize this was a sequel until the middle of the book.
Profile Image for Piper.
177 reviews3 followers
March 17, 2021
good book, i actually enjoyed a book as a sequel for once. the writing wasn’t the best, but, and the plot didn’t flow wonderfully. but i think all, in all it was pretty good. the plot at the end felt as if there were a few loose ends that should have been dealt with differently. for example, the sindaco’s death felt every loose, in the way where he suddenly went mad at the end, it just seemed a little odd at the end how he didn’t really have a true redemption. and also, the way a big war was avoided with a strange device that blew up half the island and set fire to the rest.
Profile Image for Nina ✿ Looseleaf Reviews ✿.
142 reviews53 followers
December 16, 2020
Fleck did some really smart things with this book! It’s pretty hard to do something new with the dystopian genre in 2020, but she definitely brought some new flavor to it.

Some pros:

- Mythos. The Sun/Moon worship was really interesting. It’s strange that I rarely see religion as a major element in dystopian novels. The way the offerings work, and the way they are leveraged by the government as a tool of control rather than just directly oppressing the people, gave the plot an extra intensity. It made a lot of sense why the people of Bellona didn’t rebel all those years.
- Nico and Dorian. As an adult, it’s hard to read a teen book and not think “c’mon kid, let the grown ups do the war.” But these two boys are seasoned soldiers, and they know what they’re doing. They have their ambitions, their loyalties, their goals, and they stick to their guns. I especially love Nico’s story, where the rebels want him to join their cause so badly, but he insists that he can do more good in a different way.
- Supporting cast. Xavier, Salazar, Bronwyn, Imi, Nico’s mom! They all interwove into the story perfectly.
- The Sindaco. Man, what a character.

Wasn’t a Fan:

- Raevald. There were so many nuanced characters that it was extra disappointing for the main villain to be so flat.
- Veda. Honestly, she grew on me more by this sequel, but only because she started to take a back seat to other things. As a main character, I never really had a sense of her capabilities. When she was training in the first book, was she already good at combat? Was she quick and resourceful? I really had no idea. A lot of her character seemed reactionary to the plot rather than driving it.
- The love triangle. I know, I know, what’s a teen romance without them? I’m a little disappointed because it was handled well for most of the two books. It’s wartime, emotions are high, and of course Veda is going to seek solace in the personal closest to her at the time. Both men understood that, and were reasonably respectful to each other. So when it came down to a simple one-or-the-other choice, I was bummed.

A fun read for sure! I’d be interested to see something outside of the dystopian genre from this author.
Profile Image for Samantha Hastings.
Author 22 books176 followers
March 10, 2020
A stunning conclusion to the Beware the Night duology! Veda’s a prisoner of the Imperi and Nico is a prisoner of the Night, and their island is on the brink of war. Can they bring peace between their peoples? The storytelling is lush, unforgettable, and entirely satisfying.
12 reviews1 follower
June 30, 2020
I won this novel in a Goodreads giveaway. This review may contain spoilers.

"Defy the Sun" is the second half of a duology. While it does provide enough information on the events of the first book to give you a general idea of what happened, and you'll be able to follow along with the overarching theme without too much trouble, you will miss out on a fair amount of character development and angst if you try to read this as a standalone. This is the sort of novel that focuses more on the relationships between the characters than the world happening around them, so it can be kind of crucial that you be able to connect with and follow along on their personal emotional journeys.

That said, I did not read the first novel in this duology before reading this one, so take my review with a grain of salt, lol.

"Defy the Sun" switches between two viewpoints: that of Veda Adeline, an important member of a revolutionary group (known as the Night) fighting against the current power regime, the Imperi; and Nico Denali, a privileged member of Bellonia's upper classes and Veda's childhood friend/potential love interest. They are both determined to do whatever they need to in order to protect each other and bring peace to their home, and happen to be uniquely positioned to do so: Veda is known as the "Lunalette"--a mythical, prophesied figure among the Night, who heralds their eventual victory and the end of war--while Nico is the chosen heir to Raevald, the leader of the Imperi, and primary villain of the series. The Romeo and Juliet of political power struggles.

While we do get glimpses of the ongoing war here and there, truthfully the real focus of this book is on Veda and Nico as they learn how to take control and wield the power of their positions, and explore their potential feelings for each other. This is complicated both by their forced separation due to being on different "sides," and another member of the Night, Dorian Winters, whom Veda has grown close to.

This is all well and good, and I found the book reasonably enjoyable. But at times it felt like this should have been a trilogy that unfortunately got stuffed into the more limited form of a duology. There were a number of areas that could have benefited from an in-depth exploration that instead got kind of glossed over . Not surprising, since the entirety of the book takes place over the course of maybe three weeks, with most of the real action in that final week. This helped the novel move along rather quickly, but left me feeling not-quite-satisfied at the end. Like when you want more cookies, but you look down and they're all gone. But again, this book is really about Veda and Nico above all, so perhaps it's not so surprising that everything else took second stage.

If you're looking for a series about star-crossed young lovers thrown into difficult circumstances they have to overcome, while figuring out who they are and what kind of future they're willing to fight for, go ahead and give this one a try. If you're looking for an action-and-intrigue-packed series exploring the trials of young revolutionaries locked in a desperate fight for the survival and freedom of their people against a cruel, ruthless tyrant (with a dash of romance thrown in for good measure), maybe look elsewhere.
69 reviews
April 24, 2020
*This Review Contains Spoilers*

- Read More Book Reviews at www.ajournalistsplacebookreviews.blog... -

Three out of Five Stars

*Disclaimer: Back in October, I received the Advanced Readers Edition from Fleck. She told me some of the content within the story was going to be edited. Therefore, if anything within my review sounds off, it simply has to do I read an Advanced Reader Edition.*

Defy the Sun is the second and final book in the duology called the Offering Series. If you have not read my previous review, I highly recommend reading the summary because the duology picks up right where the first novel, Beware the Night, ends.

After the fight at the end of the first novel, Veda is imprisoned and Nico is taken to the lower by Doiran in order to convince him to join the Night. Eventually, Veda escapes prison with the help of a prison guard and Nico simultaneously apologizes to the High Regent in order to find Veda and discover more secrets he could possibly use to have members join the Night instead of the Imperi.

After quite a while, Nico finds out most of the Offerings occurring are executions the High Regent is trying to hide in order not to appear as a cruel and oppressive ruler. Veda's father, the Sindaco, creates a weapon that causes a volcano on Bellona to erupt. Veda, who has been in contact with Nico, leads the entire Night onto the island in order to save them. Nico and Veda then meet up and reveal the truth and the island of Bellona is at peace once again.

Reading this entire series would have taken less than a week if I had not taken a break. I felt Beware the Night and Defy the Sun could have been only one novel. They are both about three hundred pages long, so there is not a reason why they could not be merged together.

Also, in this book, I feel the characters were still very bland. They do not seem to have any overall growth. Correct, they lost people along the way, but none of the "round" characters, I should say, did not gain anything mentally. Some of the characters I did not feel needed to be included in the story. For example, Imi and Salazar did not need to be added to the story. I only felt they were just there and not making an overall impact on the plot of the story.

I feel I should also address the Dorian, Nico, and Veda love triangle. For the entire time, I knew Veda was going to choose Nico simply because it was predictable. She's known him longer and Dorian, at the time, had worked with her and father. In most dystopian novels, most of which I feel need to cut off on the love triangle, I wish characters of the opposite gender would just be friends. In real life, people do not go around creating love triangles.

The last complaint I have is how predictable this book was. Beware the Night included twists and turns in every chapter. Veda is going to lead a revolution? Poppy is going to die? The Sindaco is Veda's father! I feel unpredictable events that do not create any plot work to make a fun, interesting book. Not that Defy the Sun was not interesting, I feel it needed to be more unpredictable.

Although I have my fair share of complaints, the world-building in this novel was still phenomenal. I still continue to love how this made-up world works and how the characters interact with each other. It's understandable that does not compare to the complaints I had. However, these two huge assets to the story are what made we still enjoy it.

I rated this book three stars because it was simply an average book. Also, Beware the Night was better, so I felt this novel deserved a lower rating.

- Read More Book Reviews at www.ajournalistsplacebookreviews.blog... -

This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Maia Sitter.
89 reviews9 followers
April 26, 2020
****Disclaimer: I won an ARC of this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. I was NOT required to read or review the book in order to receive it, but have done so anyways. Because my copy is an Advanced Readers Copy (ARC) there may have been some changes to the published version that I am unaware of. Please take these things into consideration as you read my review.****

This review will contain some spoilers.

"The energy in the room shifts. It's subtle, but I swear they begin to see: we're really not so different. When it comes down to it and it means saving family or doing what's truly right, it might not matter whether you worship the sun or the Moon. All of our hearts beat the same thump-thump-thump."~ Defy the Sun by Jessika Fleck (page 120)

I overall enjoyed this book. However, I do have some problems with it.

1. While I really enjoyed the storyline, the romance felt out of place and unnatural in this book.
I am not a romance hater. I like some romance in my books generally. However, in this case the romance felt forced and weird. It didn't feel right for Dorian, Nico, and Veda to be so obsessed with their new love triangle while people were dying around them. Dorian and Veda felt forced and weird. They barely knew each other. And Nico and Veda were always whining about being apart even after they had just literally seen each other a few hours earlier. Everytime the romance started again, I was awkwardly pulled out of the story and into a weird love triangle that felt forced there to add something that this story did not need.

2. Why was Dorian in power?
I can understand why Veda and Nico were in leadership positions. They were heirs to the throne. I get it. But Dorian? There were so many older and more experienced Night soilders, but for seemingly no reason the Sindaco picked a teenaged boy to be his second in command? Like, what? I mean, I know the author wanted all three main characters to be important, but this felt unnatural to me. There is sero logic behind the Sindaco picking someone so young over many more experienced people.

3. The conflict wrapped up too easily.
We have so much build up and then they're able to solve the problem just like that? Like, what? Veda easily sneaks into the palace to make a plan with Nico. They easily pass out the medallions and everyone believes it. The medallions are also somehow enough proof to show the High Regent is guilty. Like, what? Nico and Veda could just have easily been the ones who carved the names on all those medallions to frame the High Regent. The proof wasn't there, but pretty much no one cares. Then, the volcano blows and everyone just listens to Nico and Veda, arrested the high Regent, and starts working together with the Night.
It was all too easily solved in the end.

Those are my biggest complaints with the book. I still enjoyed it, though. It was a good read, which is why I'm giving it three stars. I wanted to keep reading it. I wanted to know how the story would end.

I really liked Nico's point of view. I actually found him more interesting to read about than Veda. He's got a good head on his shoulders and he actually seemed to be helping to stop the war, unlike Veda who I still think was really only important to inspire Nico to rise up and take over the government.

I wish Dorian was a bit more fleshed out and didn't wine like a baby because the girl he didn't know very well wouldn't fall in love with him, but I liked his character overall. I found him interesting.

I liked Bonwyn and Salazar about and Xaiver, Nico's mom, and Imi would good minor characters. The Sindaco's decent into madness was unexpected by me and I thought that it was played over pretty well.

Overall, I liked this Duology and am glad that I read it.
38 reviews
July 2, 2020
I received a copy for review, all opinions are my own. This review may contain spoilers.

First things first, that cover is simply beautiful. Whoever designed them is a genius.
The story is this sequel takes off immediately after the cliffhanger in the first installment. I liked it about as much as the first book but out of the two, Beware the Night was my favorite. This time around, Fleck added a chapter in Nico's POV every other chapter. I liked the insight that this gave us and it made me like Nico more since I wasn't a big fan of him, to begin with.

Seeing how Veda and Nico matured a bit more and grew into their positions of leadership was a highlight for me. I liked seeing how they learned how to play the game and learned from the current leaders' mistakes to be better leaders themselves.

Speaking of those leaders, I felt that there was much left to explain. I would have wanted more of an explanation as to the Sindaco's mental state for example. In general, the ending was very rushed and information, though not necessarily helpful, was crammed into the final chapters. The conflict was wrapped up far to easily and it felt like the whole book, we kept hearing about this grand war that would be epic and big for the story and we never got that. So I personally could have been much more satisfied with the conclusion.

The actual war and the conflict also seemed like a side plot to the romance. That was definitely not something I enjoyed. The love triangle, again, took center stage even though there was a war/revolution happening. It wasn't even justified by the resolution of that triangle for me. The person Veda chose didn't feel as worthy of it and I just liked the other character far more. However, in retrospect, I should have seen it coming and it was obviously the way the story was going to go. To be honest, I'm just glad she made up her mind! Regardless of Veda's choice, the romance felt out of place and it would have served better as a side story.

I liked Veda in this but I also found her to be annoying sometimes. However, I can appreciate her developments and character. I think that the new and side characters really took the cake here. Bronwyn took the muffins. Imi, Nico's mother, Bronwyn, Salazar, and Xavier really made the story more enjoyable. I still miss Poppy though!

Overall though, this book was a quicker read and it actually broke my reading slump. It's an enjoyable read in a duology reminiscent of many other YA standalone novels and series. I really liked it and I'm glad I was able to read it!
Profile Image for Olivia.
2,918 reviews61 followers
March 2, 2020
See my full review here: https://www.yabookscentral.com/yafict...

DEFY THE SUN is a fantastic conclusion to this YA fantasy duology. This book picks up right where the first book left off and does not spend time recapping, so I would highly recommend a reread of the first before jumping into this one. Bellona is a land divided not only along socioeconomic class lines (the Dogio and Basso) but also by a revolution. Bellona worships the sun and makes sacrifices to it, resulting in frequent loss of loved ones.

The Night is a group which is leading a rebellion against the current leadership and its many lies. Veda is a young girl who has been labelled as the Lunalette, a figure from a legend that says she will be the one to save them and lead a successful rebellion. On the other side is her best friend and love interest, Nico, who has been selected as Heir to the regent. The book begins with Nico being held by the Night and Veda being held by the Imperi, the militia of the regent.

The book has a slow start as each of them learns more about their captors and figures out a course to freedom. The end of the book moves much faster as we get into the action of the plans they have created. This book has a solid ending without cliffhangers.

What I loved: The writing is fluid and its easy to get caught up in Bellona and the intricacies of this world. We get perspectives of both Veda and Nico, which also gives extra insights into what is going on. There are a number of secondary characters (including a love interest creating a triangle) that add to the story. The characters here are quite compelling, and it was easy to step into their lives.

What left me wanting more: Small things, but I would have liked the end to be drawn out a bit more with more explanations about the Sindaco's mental state in particular. I also would have liked a bit more reasoning behind the resolution of the love triangle.

Final verdict: Engaging, atmospheric, and full of compelling characters, DEFY THE SUN is a great conclusion to a really great YA fantasy series. Would highly recommend for fans of HUNGER GAMES, FROSTBLOOD SAGA, and the MATCHED series.

Please note that I received an ARC from the publisher. All opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Daniella.
481 reviews7 followers
December 11, 2020
*spoilers*

This one for some reason hit a lot worse than the first one. The story overall is basically a Walmart hunger games but less edgy, with a girl meant to lead the poor to revolution stuck in a love triangle between emo boy and hot childhood friend. I didn’t really have a problem with this in the first book because cliche as it was, it was still enjoyable. But this sequel read like it had not seen an editor; it was not smooth at all and the style felt really casual which I don’t remember being a feature of the first one. The relationships between characters kind of grew off screen so people would be close or trusted without a base really being established for this which made the banter just annoying more than anything. Also Dorian never had a chance and of course he had to be a moody ho when he got rejected :/ I did like the element of fixing the war by bringing the two heirs together, but it also never really felt like there was a war? We saw one battle that the main characters kind of observed from the side but every time the war was mentioned it seemed like it was a really big deal. Also a volcano?? Sis

I think the absolute worst part was when they were in nicos room and they heard footprints so they just ?? Turn off the lamps?? And STAND IN A BEAM OF MOONLIGHT PRETENDING TO BE A STATUE AND HOPING NO ONE WOULD NOTICE and it was just a convoluted way to get them to make out? Also Sindaco went crazy for absolutely no reason he was like a mad scientist?? Also things were described very vaguely at times like Bronwyn smiled and it was something like ‘her smile was so warm and so bronwyn’ like what does that even mean?

I get the impression that the first book had time to be refined and have better character and plot development, whereas the sequel was more rushed and so lacked a lot of detail. The first one set up some interesting things, and provided a pretty solid base for the characters and the plot, but this one fell really short :/ maybe it would have been better as a single book?
Profile Image for deynicuh.
29 reviews
August 16, 2021
On the first book, Veda has been thinking her feelings about Dorian. But on the first few chapters on this second book, I don’t think Veda has even thought of Dorian. She was all about Nico plus there is Nico’s point of view, I can tell that Nico will be Veda’s male lead. And with Nicos POV, Dorian seems like a side character, not even a second male lead.
Veda is definitely a two timer, or maybe a playgirl since she’s not committed to both Nico and Dorian. However, in this love triangle (is it?), I find it unfair for Dorian because when Veda is alone, all she thinks about is Nico and whenever she is with Dorian, she also always thinks about Nico. But when she’s with Nico, I don’t remember Veda thinking about Dorian at all. I also find it unfair for Nico because even when Veda says that she realizes she does not feel the same feelings with him on the first book (or was it a mutual feeling of not having feelings for each other?), every time they meet, there is always a physical contact such as kissing. Is this how love triangle works?!
The antagonist was written amazingly, any reader would really hate him, and he’s not stupid, I give him that. Though the Sindaco, I don’t find him intimidating at all as the leader of the Night. Even on the first book, I don’t find him that powerful as a leader.
In the first book, there were times that I don’t like Nico but in this book, I somehow warmed up with him.
Is it just me or Veda just used Dorian as a “rebound”-like since she’s not sure with Nico yet? And when she’s sure she has a chance with Nico, she dumped him. Wow. Dorian deserves better if only he’s not stupid enough to stay with Veda even though he know she’s in love with Nico.
Profile Image for Tien.
1,789 reviews67 followers
March 12, 2020
Defy the Sun picks up pretty much immediately right after Beware the Night so this is definitely one of those series you must read in order and you really do want to have to both books before you dive in because it really feels like 1 big book although one big change in this installment is that we have Nico's POV as well as Veda's and it's just beautiful.

It is now all out war between the Day and Night and both sides are suffering losses they could barely afford. Nico and Veda and some others want this war to end before their whole world burns however as Nico and Veda are in position of power now, the burden mostly falls on them. But as they are separated, how are they to collaborate to end this blasted war?

To be honest, this novel is rather heavy in romance and while I expected that, I had to work hard to not hold against the love triangle issue. You'll note I whinged about that in the last book, well... it got a bit worse in this book until it got better. Thankfully, Veda's got a good head on her shoulders and at the end, everything worked well.

Defy the Sun was a riveting read; I was on tenterhook, not only because of the resolution of the love triangle, but also for the resolution of this world's division. I really couldn't guess how it could be resolved and , at 85%, had my doubts that it'd be resolved in this book! But the explosive ending totally worked and I'm left with a peaceful heart.

Thank you Swoon Reads and Xpresso Tours for including me in this blog tour & ecopy of book in exchange of my honest thoughts
Profile Image for Becca Mee.
906 reviews27 followers
March 6, 2020
I loved Beware the Night, and I thought that Defy the Sun was a very solid sequel. Veda and Nico find themselves once again on opposite sides of the struggle between the High Regent and the Night. Both languish in prisons on those respective sides and dream of a way to escape and stop the oncoming war. They soon get their wish. Veda returns to the Night and must grapple with the truths she's learned about herself and the movement, and Nico must return to Bellona as heir and outfox the cunning High Regent. Will they be able to bridge the gap between their people and bring peace before its too late? Or will it go out in smoke?
Defy the Sun is a vivid conclusion to this trilogy. Fleck is an exquisite storyteller who writes with a style that is very engaging. I enjoyed this book, although not as much as the first. It is full of action, betrayal and shades of gray. It has a love that must overcome seemingly impossible odds to thrive. I loved the romance and the love triangle between Nico and Veda and Veda and Damian, and am quite satisfied of how it was settled. The worldbuilding is incredible, just as it was in BTN. Defy the Sun is a gripping conclusion to this high-stakes duology about power, love, and rectifying the sins of the past.
Profile Image for Alicia.
147 reviews13 followers
Read
April 26, 2020
I received a free digital copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
It's been several weeks since I read the first book in this duology, Beware the Night. It was easy to pick back up with the characters and plot. Where the first book focused primarily on Veda's point of view, this one alternates between her and Nico as they return to their respective sides and work closely with those in charge. Both find that the respective leaders are not quite what they seem and through notes and some (luckly) well placed allies, they work together to unite the people of the island.
I enjoyed the book, though I found the love triangle reminded me of The Hunger Games (there's a war and we're supposed to be worried about which boy she'll choose?). In addition, until I decided to look for the sequel on Goodreads, when I was about two-thirds of the way through with this book, I assumed there would be a third book, as this second book seemed to lag up until the last third-which is when it picked up a bit too quickly, and ended things rather abruptly.
3 reviews
May 17, 2022
Was this book a bit simple/basic? Well, it was. But sometimes it is better to have a clean story than to get lost in all the plot twists. After giving up on the 3rd book of an Ember in the Ashes series for being extra complicating and nonsense this series were a breath of fresh air. I only listen to audio books lately due to lack of time to read, but I was so please with the first book that I actually read the second one as couldn’t find the audiobook.

I am a bit disappointed that this book does not have a lot of reviews and there is no hype around it even though it is worthy of time.

Another advantage was a lack of drama for the sake of it. Love triangle was there but it was not that conflicting. The characters were very well thought and relatable. There were no chapters repeating the first book, which lots of authors love to do to fill the pages.

Concluding, please do read this book if you want an easy read.
Profile Image for Jessica Belmont.
1,482 reviews44 followers
March 23, 2020
After reading Beware the Night, I was really excited to read Defy the Sun! I really enjoyed the dualogy. I don’t read many of them, but feel this really created a sense of closure for the story.
There is a love triangle, but hear me out. I actually really love the way Jessika Fleck wrote this triangle. It felt much more plausible than most. Don’t let that subplot fool you into thinking anything but good things about this book.
The plot is unique. This is not a typical Dystopian, and for that, I really enjoyed it. The world building and characters were great. I was pretty immersed in this story.
Overall, I think Defy the Sun is my favorite of the two books, but this dualogy is fantastic. Recommended for sure.
Rating:
4/5☆
*I received a free copy of this book from Xpresso Book Tours in exchange for an honest review on the blog tour. All opinions are my own and unbiased.*
Profile Image for Michelle.
67 reviews2 followers
April 20, 2020
In the much anticipated second book of the Beware the Night duology, Defy the Sun picks up after Veda's failed offering. Veda awakes to find herself imprisoned by the Imperi, and must escape before she is publicly executed. Nico is likewise saved and held hostage by the Night. Each concerned about the other, the fight for survival and the path back to one another is immediate. As the political power-plays of both the Imperi and the Night become clear, the only way to reunite the people of Bellona is for Nico and Veda to bring their people together.

A quick and lively read, readers will enjoy the growing relationships between the characters and a very satisfying conclusion.
Profile Image for Hannah.
74 reviews
November 7, 2022
The most mid book I've read all year.
It sucks because this story had so much promise and I was so excited to read it. I loved the premise. I loved the two male main characters.
Nothing was fleshed out enough to be interesting. It was trying so hard to do everything that it ended up not doing much at all. I joked it had a similar starting point to the hunger games, but this entire book was like an eerie shadow to that series.
I couldn't get over the writing style, either. All the ellipses...
And veda's pov was annoying. And Nico's plotline had basically no reason to exist.
Not that I care, but I'm upset she didn't end up with Dorian. Anyway.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Nancy (The Avid Reader).
2,244 reviews94 followers
March 12, 2020
Defy the Sun takes off right where Beware the Night ended. War has come to the island of Bellona between the underground revolutionaries and the Imperi. The underground revolutionist wants to make their world a better place for its entire people. The island will burn if the revolutionaries and the Imperi can’t come to an agreement that will appease everyone.

Veda has been taken hostage by the Imperi and is being held in a cell until the day of her execution. Veda hopes to escape before that terrible day arrives. Nico has been taken by Dorian an underground revolutionist. Nico has been chosen as the heir to the highest person of the Imperi.

Dorian and Nico both are in love with Veda but she is so confused about how she feels but only one boy can come out the winner and can receive her heart in the end. Who will it be? Will it be Dorian? Or will it be Nico.

Defy the Sun was just as intriguing as its predecessor Beware the Night. It grabbed my attention from the first page and held it until the end with all its twists and turns in between. It will have you racing to the end to learn all its secrets and wanting to know which of the two guys, Dorian or Nico, Veda will chose.

I love the world that was created for Beware the Night world. It felt like an apocalyptic or dystopian type of book and if anyone knows me then they know that I love apocalyptic and dystopian books. I would love to see Beware the Night and Defy the Sun on the big screen.

If you like dystopian or apocalyptic books then give this duology, Beware the Night and Defy the Sun a try I don’t believe you would be disappointed in the least.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 62 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.