Start by marking “Defy the Sun (The Offering Series, #2)” as Want to Read:
Defy the Sun (The Offering Series, #2)

Defy the Sun

(The Offering Series #2)

Civil war has come to the island of Bellona. Veda Adeline believes in the Night. She’s joined the underground revolutionaries, led by Dorian Winters, and they're determined to overthrow the ruling Imperi and find justice for her people.

Nico Denali, Veda’s childhood friend and maybe-something-more, is one of those ruling Imperi, and he’s just been named heir to the most pow
Published March 10th 2020 by Swoon Reads

To ask other readers questions about Defy the Sun, please sign up.
Maia Sitter Ah...what?!

Nico is clearly straight and Salazar is clearly in love with Xaiver. …more
Ah...what?!

Nico is clearly straight and Salazar is clearly in love with Xaiver. (less)
Jessika Fleck Hi! Yes, you'll need to read the first book in the duology to know what is going on as this book literally picks up where the other leaves off and the…moreHi! Yes, you'll need to read the first book in the duology to know what is going on as this book literally picks up where the other leaves off and there isn't a lot of extensive recap. I hope you enjoy the series--happy reading.(less)

Start your review of Defy the Sun (The Offering Series, #2)
Umairah | Sereadipity
Why are they so obsessed with romance when there's a war to end and people to save and things to do?
Finitha Jose
Mar 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Book two in the series takes off directly from where the last book ended. And there is one plus point: we get to hear the voice of Nico this time along with Veda. Except for the love triangle part, I had loved the first book and 'Defy the Sun' doesn't disappoint either.

Things escalate as the two heirs are taken captive which also gives them an opportunity to sway the enemy to their side to create a unified front. Nico as always is my favourite: his irrevocable love towards Veda, the driving for
Emma Reads
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
i liked this second and final book a lot more than the first one! this was a great dystopian duology.
Jennifer Holik
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Monica
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
**Disclaimer: I was given a free e-book of the below in exchange for an honest review as part of a tour hosted by Xpresso Tours via NetGalley.**

Title Defy the Sun (The Offering Series #2)

Author Jessika Fleck

Release Date March 10, 2020

Publisher Swoon Reads

Description from Amazon

Civil war has come to the island of Bellona. Veda Adeline believes in the Night. She’s joined the underground revolutionaries, led by Dorian Winters, and they’re determined to overthrow the ruling Imperi and find justice f
K.L. Hallam
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jessika’s such a fantastic writer, and this book brings you right back to heart-thumping and into Veda’s POV — and Nico’s this time. Gripping emotions in a dystopian world ravaged by civil war. Such a fun reading escape!
KIWICLOUDS
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
felt a little disappointed with this book but nonetheless i did enjoy the whole series it was a fun read
Samantha Hastings
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A stunning conclusion to the Beware the Night duology! Veda’s a prisoner of the Imperi and Nico is a prisoner of the Night, and their island is on the brink of war. Can they bring peace between their peoples? The storytelling is lush, unforgettable, and entirely satisfying.
Natalie (Natflix&Books)
May 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
These covers are magical.
Victoria
Jun 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I won this novel in a Goodreads giveaway. This review may contain spoilers.

"Defy the Sun" is the second half of a duology. While it does provide enough information on the events of the first book to give you a general idea of what happened, and you'll be able to follow along with the overarching theme without too much trouble, you will miss out on a fair amount of character development and angst if you try to read this as a standalone. This is the sort of novel that focuses more on the relations
Maggie Rhoads
Apr 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Maia Sitter
Apr 25, 2020 rated it liked it
****Disclaimer: I won an ARC of this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. I was NOT required to read or review the book in order to receive it, but have done so anyways. Because my copy is an Advanced Readers Copy (ARC) there may have been some changes to the published version that I am unaware of. Please take these things into consideration as you read my review.****

This review will contain some spoilers.

"The energy in the room shifts. It's subtle, but I swear they begin to see: we're really not so di
Jasmin
Jul 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaway
I received a copy for review, all opinions are my own. This review may contain spoilers.

First things first, that cover is simply beautiful. Whoever designed them is a genius.
The story is this sequel takes off immediately after the cliffhanger in the first installment. I liked it about as much as the first book but out of the two, Beware the Night was my favorite. This time around, Fleck added a chapter in Nico's POV every other chapter. I liked the insight that this gave us and it made me like
Olivia
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yabc-reviews
See my full review here: https://www.yabookscentral.com/yafict...

DEFY THE SUN is a fantastic conclusion to this YA fantasy duology. This book picks up right where the first book left off and does not spend time recapping, so I would highly recommend a reread of the first before jumping into this one. Bellona is a land divided not only along socioeconomic class lines (the Dogio and Basso) but also by a revolution. Bellona worships the sun and makes sacrifices to it, resulting in frequent loss of
Tien
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Defy the Sun picks up pretty much immediately right after Beware the Night so this is definitely one of those series you must read in order and you really do want to have to both books before you dive in because it really feels like 1 big book although one big change in this installment is that we have Nico's POV as well as Veda's and it's just beautiful.

It is now all out war between the Day and Night and both sides are suffering losses they could barely afford. Nico and Veda and some others wan
Becca Mee
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved Beware the Night, and I thought that Defy the Sun was a very solid sequel. Veda and Nico find themselves once again on opposite sides of the struggle between the High Regent and the Night. Both languish in prisons on those respective sides and dream of a way to escape and stop the oncoming war. They soon get their wish. Veda returns to the Night and must grapple with the truths she's learned about herself and the movement, and Nico must return to Bellona as heir and outfox the cunning Hi ...more
Alicia
Apr 25, 2020 added it
I received a free digital copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
It's been several weeks since I read the first book in this duology, Beware the Night. It was easy to pick back up with the characters and plot. Where the first book focused primarily on Veda's point of view, this one alternates between her and Nico as they return to their respective sides and work closely with those in charge. Both find that the respective leaders are not quite what they seem and throug
Jessica Belmont
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
After reading Beware the Night, I was really excited to read Defy the Sun! I really enjoyed the dualogy. I don’t read many of them, but feel this really created a sense of closure for the story.
There is a love triangle, but hear me out. I actually really love the way Jessika Fleck wrote this triangle. It felt much more plausible than most. Don’t let that subplot fool you into thinking anything but good things about this book.
The plot is unique. This is not a typical Dystopian, and for that, I re
Rachel Kelly
Sep 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Meaghan Hurn
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Defy The Sun is a fantastic conclusion to this YA fantasy duology!

If you're new to the series, you'll need to start at the beginning because Defy The Sun doesn't waste your time with a ton of recapping, (which I prefer.)The book has a slow start as each of the characters learns about their captors and decide on a plan of action. The end of the book moves much faster once they enact their plans and get the ball moving.  I thoroughly enjoyed the first book in this series, and the sequel did not di
Michelle
Apr 19, 2020 rated it liked it
In the much anticipated second book of the Beware the Night duology, Defy the Sun picks up after Veda's failed offering. Veda awakes to find herself imprisoned by the Imperi, and must escape before she is publicly executed. Nico is likewise saved and held hostage by the Night. Each concerned about the other, the fight for survival and the path back to one another is immediate. As the political power-plays of both the Imperi and the Night become clear, the only way to reunite the people of Bellon ...more
aerie
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
The cliffhanger ending of the first book was so unsatisfying that I needed to read this one in a desperate attempt at gleaning some sort of goodness from this story.

This sequel is marginally better in terms of writing and it was nice to have Nico’s contrasting pov. But it felt like a two-book-long build up to a war that ends in two moments. Somehow everything ends wrapped up in a nice convenient little package but also simultaneously leaves a bunch of things unanswered.

Overall its not a bad sto
Dana
Oct 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
3.1 stars !! This book went into a different direction than the first but somehow I ended up exactly where was last time, which was bored. There was a lot going on, but whether I still couldn't relate to the characters or couldn't get into the story, I was just bored. Reading to finish it, rather than enjoy it.

This may be just me, who prefers a good rebellion plot more than a love triangle, but I would have preferred less focus on the romance. I wanted, and expected, a book on an epic revolutio
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
Defy the Sun takes off right where Beware the Night ended. War has come to the island of Bellona between the underground revolutionaries and the Imperi. The underground revolutionist wants to make their world a better place for its entire people. The island will burn if the revolutionaries and the Imperi can’t come to an agreement that will appease everyone.

Veda has been taken hostage by the Imperi and is being held in a cell until the day of her execution. Veda hopes to escape before that terri
Nat ⭐️
Sad, tentative DNF status as of 4/1/2020. I’m just not in the mood to get immersed into the world of this book again at the moment; I forgot just how much lore was established in book 1 (and how long it’s been since I even read book 1!) that, when I started this one, I was constantly trying to figure out 1) who everyone was 2) where we left off 3) why I should even care about the people on the page.

I’ll (probably, eventually) pick this one up again in the future... likely after giving book 1 a
Anne
Sequel to Beware the Night (although you can read it just fine without having read the first book.)

Followers of the sun and followers of the moon are violently opposed - to the point that they are about to go to war. Only Veda (night) and Nico (sun) can bring about peace. However, there are a lot of barriers in there way. For example, Veda is in prison and Nico is being held hostage. Not only that but they are not viewed as allies.

Predictable writing and too many lucky coincidences. However noth
chaotic_ libraries
Nov 30, 2020 rated it did not like it
Oh boy what a let down. Okay not a surprising let down since the first book was only 3 stars but wow everything kind of just fell apart with this one.

Okay and can we talk about the love triangle because every chapter in Vedas perspective it was different on who she wanted. It got old after a couple of chapters going “but Dorien.” And “But Nico.” This whole incisive love triangle was the only thing that kept me going because it was so ridiculously entertaining when she wanted to be kissed by one
B.R. Myers
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Picking up right after the heart stopping cliff hanger in BEWARE THE KNIGHT, this YA fantasy delivers plot twists and tight action sequences that will keep readers on edge. With memorable characters whose authenticity comes to life off the page, Fleck effortlessly blends mythology with a thoroughly fashioned world at war. DEFY THE SUN is a satisfying thrill ride that brings this duology to a satisfying conclusion.
Stacy Van Buskirk
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this duology and the world of Bellona. The first book, "Beware the Night" was mostly in Veda's point of view whereas "Defy the Sun" went between Veda and Nico's point of view. This broke up the story line into two: what's happening in the lower and what is happening in the palace. The ending wasn't a perfect tied-in-a-bow ending which I like, but it did leave me wondering how life would go on for the Bellonians.
Megan
Jun 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
There are literally two books building up this big important world-ending "war" and it's over in five pages. In the meantime we get much more of the irritating butterflies-in-the-stomach and making out. But nothing actually happens, the ending fizzles out, and I was mad I devoted my energy to this story.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for letting me read this. I hope other people liked it more than I did.

• Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
  • Stealing Home
  • The Body Electric
  • A World Without You
  • Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)
  • Beauty and the Baron (Forever After Retellings, #1)
  • The Sentence is Death (Hawthorne, #2)
  • Across a Broken Shore
  • Wild Life: Dispatches from a Childhood of Baboons and Button-Downs
  • Within Ash and Stardust (The Xenith Trilogy, #3)
  • The Spinner of Dreams
  • Under a Painted Sky
  • The Female of the Species
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • No Girls Allowed: Inspired by the True Story of a Girl Who Fought for her Right to Play
  • When the Lights Go Out
  • Moxie
Jessika Fleck is a YA & MG author, unapologetic coffee drinker, and knitter — she sincerely hopes to one day discover a way to do all three at once. Until then, she continues collecting vintage typewriters and hourglasses, dreaming of an Ireland getaway, and convincing her husband they NEED more kittens. Her YA debut, THE CASTAWAYS (Entangled TEEN), is now available. As is her YA fantasy, BEWARE T ...more

The Offering Series (2 books)
  • Beware the Night (The Offering Series, #1)