Start by marking “Dark and Deepest Red” as Want to Read:
Dark and Deepest Red

Dark and Deepest Red

Summer, 1518. A strange sickness sweeps through Strasbourg: women dance in the streets, some until they fall down dead. As rumors of witchcraft spread, suspicion turns toward Lavinia and her family, and Lavinia may have to do the unimaginable to save herself and everyone she loves.

Five centuries later, a pair of red shoes seal to Rosella Oliva’s feet, making her dance
Expected publication: January 14th 2020 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Dark and Deepest Red, please sign up.
Anna Eklund It's a reworking of Hans Christian Andersen's The Red Shoes + actual historical events (a dancing "plague" in 1518).

Start your review of Dark and Deepest Red
Chaima ✨ شيماء
95% of my life consists of looking forward to this book which, according to the author, "casts one of Andersen's most brutal fairy tales in the light of the true medieval events that likely inspired it. At the center is a Romani girl & trans boy. Plus an ending that is so queer [she] may have officially out-gayed [her]self."

TAKE. MY. MONEY.
Mackenzi
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has ruined all other books for me.
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Jun 11, 2019 marked it as releases-2020
I’m so delighted by everything about this blurb. Anna-Marie I love you
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
DNF... I’m just not feeling it. I tried but I don’t find any of the character’s views interesting. The love sprung up out of nowhere since there’s an 11 years jump. All of a sudden Lala wanted to kiss Alifair and Emil saying he likes Rosella long ago but when did that happen? I hate to DNF but I just don’t care to find out the ending.
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
Me: *requests book with emphasis that I'm an ownvoices reviewer as a transman*
Publisher: *denies request*

Not the first time this has happened or that I've heard of this happening.
Jonna Kristina
Apr 29, 2019 marked it as to-read
”a brutal fairy tale. the true medieval events that may have inspired it. two girls of color, 500 years apart. and the queerest ending I've ever written.”

I CAN’T WAIT!!!
♠️ TABI ♠️
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edelweiss
"We are more than what we've survived."

I've realized that I cannot review a Anna-Marie McLemore book. Why?? Because she writes with such effortless magic that's it's nigh impossible to define the power of it in a review. I have been swept away by everything she's written, all of her stories shamelessly queer and lovely fairytales that draw me in every time. No, they are not the greatest examples of writing nor something that I can shriek about how perfect it is on all levels BUT they really
˗ˏˋliaˎˊ˗
May 04, 2019 marked it as anticipated-2020
this cover is GORGEOUS and the premise sounds SOOO GOOD!!! i’m super excited, can it please be 2020 already
Emily
Aug 01, 2019 added it
i desperately need this book in my life
ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review (Thank you!)
Dany
Oct 24, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-tbr
Romani Girl
Trans Boy
Hans Anderson's retelling!

I mean , Anna-Marie McLemore can just start barging in and ask people for money and I'll be okay with it.

I thank all the gods for an ARC opportunity! (Lol , thanks Edelweiss and MacMillan)

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
update: Dec 3, 2019
This was what Twitter chose for my November "pick it for me" read, and I was really stoked to pick it up, but sadly just wasn't in the right reading mood for it at all! Anna-Marie has such an incredible style but I always find I have to be in just the right headspace for it, and I'm not right now. Rather than risk forcing myself and enjoying it less than I would have otherwise, I'm saving it for later.

———

I want to read everything Anna-Marie McLemore ever writes, forever,
Jackie
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Forever ago I saw the cover of this book with a note that it was a retelling of the Red Shoes and immediately saved a screenshot to remember its release and when I saw an arc available I jumped at the chance to get it and I’m so glad I did because goddamn if this book isn’t absolutely beautiful.

“Dark and Deepest Red” follows multiple povs and transcends time as we see the beginning of la fièvre de la danse and the ripple effect that moment in time has had on the future, especially that of a
✨ emma ✨
Jun 11, 2019 marked it as to-read
all I know about the french dancing plague thing, I learned from shane from buzzfeed unsolved
rachel ☾
Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagram
Rebecca Speas
Every Anna-Marie McLemore book is a gift, and DARK AND DEEPEST RED is truly something wondrous. Eerily suspenseful, achingly romantic, and fiercely defiant, it is a love story for the overlooked, a fairytale for the outcast, and a triumphant song for those whose stories go untold. It is a book to savor, to embrace, to wrap around your heart to keep out the cold. This book will dance your heart to pieces and then tenderly stitch it back together.
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
Why, of course I’m going to be reading this book!! A beautiful cover?? And a Hans Christian Andersen retelling?? This is e v e r y t h i n g.

Thank you Macmillan and Feiwel & Friends for the ARC.
*mk*
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-to-buy
Overall I mostly enjoyed this book, but I think one perspective was weaker than the others and I tended to skim that one a bit. The romances in this book are 10/10, though.
Holly
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
it is a truth universally acknowledged that if I get my hands on a new Anna-Marie McLemore story, I will drop everything and read it

FAVES QUOTES bc I was seriously stopping like every ten pages to copy something down:
As young as he is, he knows how to fold away the things the world would punish him for.

I would find a way to make sure we never had to destroy something of ourselves just to stop other people from taking it.

“There is nothing I want more than I want you.”
“Then stop thinking of what
Adriana
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
TWs: Mild descriptions of gore/body horror, peripheral depictions of racism and homophobia/transphobia.

Y'all are not READY for how hard this story goes in exploring the experience of being othered, of being feared and taught to fear yourself, and learning how to reconcile with history and trauma. Anna-Marie McLemore stuns yet again in this fairy-tale retelling that is at times dark and twisted, at times warm and hopeful, but consistently utterly awe-inspiring from start to finish.
Aly
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
DNF @ 52%

I couldn't get into it, but there was still enough there to give me hope. After getting halfway i just gave up and decided to move on to a different book. It just isn't for me.
Alyson Kent
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow.
marina
Jun 12, 2019 marked it as to-read
I want this book so badly. It's the roma rep we need and deserve
Suzanne
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
“I will not let you have both anymore. If you do not want me, then deny me. All of me.”

Wonderful fairy-tale retelling that alters viewpoints and settings as it deals with sexual and cultural constraints.
J.A. Ironside
Jul 31, 2019 marked it as to-read
I received an ARC!!!
Brittany
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was provided an ARC of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

It was hauntingly beautiful. One of the most bewitching, heartbreaking, gutwrenching stories that I've ever read. Anna-Marie McLemore has an ability to weave a tale that is on par with Neil Gaiman. This book is a must read, especially if you love the adult/YA fairytale genre. Even if you don't, this book has a lot going on that you will love.
Nèngath
Jun 12, 2019 marked it as to-read
A McLemore's novel taking place in France, my home country (and thank the lord, not in Paris)???
I really hope she is not going to screw up her description of France or put randomly grammatically incorrect French sentences everywhere. Please, don't do that to me, you're one of my favorite author...
I also don't want to see one of the following french stereotypes in that book : croissants (As a French, I basically eat croissants one time a year, and it's in foreign bed and breakfast, and because
Leo
Oct 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
If judged on future releases alone, 2020 is going to be awesome
Courtney
Aug 07, 2019 marked it as to-read
I can’t believe I got an arc of this! ...more
Kacey
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for the free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. My opinion was not affected by the free copy.

I didn't realize this was a fairy tale retelling. I was simply intrigued by the blurb and the promise of magic. When I found out this was a fairy tale based on a true event, I went back to read up on it. It was a very strange and unexplained moment in history and I think the author was historically faithful in showing the unfortunate conclusions

• Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • Blood Countess
  • Mooncakes
  • The Seventh Sun
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • Winterwood
  • The Empire of Gold (The Daevabad Trilogy, #3)
  • The Monster of Elendhaven
  • The List of Things That Will Not Change
  • Lifestyles of Gods and Monsters
  • Lucky Caller
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • The Night Country (The Hazel Wood, #2)
  • The Bone Houses
  • The Deep
  • Full Disclosure
  • Only Ashes Remain (Market of Monsters, #2)
  • Beyond the Black Door
Anna-Marie McLemore was born in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and taught by her family to hear la llorona in the Santa Ana winds. She is the author of THE WEIGHT OF FEATHERS, a finalist for the 2016 William C. Morris Debut Award; 2017 Stonewall Honor Book WHEN THE MOON WAS OURS, which was longlisted for the National Book Award in Young People’s Literature; WILD BEAUTY, a Kirkus Best ...more