Start by marking “Ruins of Fate (The Omni Towers, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Ruins of Fate (The Omni Towers, #0.5)

Ruins of Fate

(The Omni Towers #0.5)

One wrong decision, and the future will crumble…

Skye Levanthe traded everything she owned in order to secure a place for herself and her son, Veridian, in a scavenging camp.

But all contracts have an expiration date.

Desperate to obtain the resources they need to survive, Skye agreed to navigate the dangerous ruins of fallen cities to search for tradeable materials. When a s
Published April 4th 2019

Start your review of Ruins of Fate (The Omni Towers, #0.5)
Beth
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the Omni Towers series, so it was no surprise that I devoured the prequel of how it all began.

This is the story of Skye, a single mother, trying to make a life for herself and her son outside the towers. When a young girl named Kayla is discovered in a collapsed ruin, Skye must make some very difficult decisions…to give up the girl to her own fate or move on from the life she has worked so hard to build for her and her son. Tensions were already high in the camp where they live so adding
Lyn
Jul 15, 2019 marked it as x-dropped-dnf
I really wanted to like this book but I just couldn't get into the story. The writing lagged too much and I had a hard time being interested in it. This book wasn't for me but maybe others will like it more. ...more
Stacy
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I liked RUINS OF FATE so much that I grabbed myself a copy of book one of the series and then the rest of the series after that.

The Omni Towers series is an established series with RUINS OF FATE giving everyone a glimpse of the character's pasts. I went into ROF with a blank slate having never read the series and I had no trouble getting into the storyline. I enjoyed meeting Skye, Kayla, Leo and Veridian and witnessing the start of their story together.

I enjoyed both the world and learning abo
Anne Szlachcic
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ruins of Fate by Jamie A. Waters is a Prequel to her Omni Towers series and what a great post-apocalyptic
world she creates .
Skye manages to scrape a living as a ruin rat - scavenging old ruins and raising her young son in this scary new world . Having discovered a young girl in one of the ruins she determines to keep her against all advice to the contrary .
Told there are not enough resources to feed her small family she is driven from the camp by the group leader Daryl and the protests of her bo
Elizabeth McDaniel
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this interesting story of scavengers. Their life and the dangers they faced daily were so intense. I could have kept reading but the story ended too fast! I cannot wait to read the rest!!

Tanya
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
everything has a cost and a end date. It has come to her now and she needs to get rations for her son so she agrees to go with another to search for items they can use. Then a disaster happens and she finds a young girl but she faces exile with the girl. She takes the girl to try to find a safe place. how will they get on? Will they be safe? What about her son? See how they get on
CK
Nov 20, 2020 rated it liked it
This book is a prequel to a (currently) 4-book series, set in a dystopian, post-apocalyptic future. Our MC faces multiple damn-near impossible choices & situations, trying to keep her family together & alive. It’s harrowing, full of Feels, & honestly a little too cuttingly close for comfort at times. In saying that, I am the type of naval-gazer to chew on things like climate collapse, so YMMV.

Trigger warnings:
Near-death situations
Imp
A M Aliano
Jun 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is the prequel for the Omni Tower series. This series starts off with a post-apocalypse scenario caused by the war two centuries before and a dangerous action scene to set the stage for the remainder of the book.

Life is dangerous, supplies difficult to come by, and Skye had herself and her son to provide for. The only way to obtain supplies was to scavenge for materials or objects in the ruins to barter with at the Omni trading posts. This was dangerous and not always productive work.

The Om
Natalie Gasper
Apr 21, 2021 rated it liked it
This novella is a prequel to the Omni Towers series (which I haven't read yet). That said, I think it does a good job of introducing this post-apocalyptic world and the struggles that people who live during these times face.

The main character, Skye, is endearing. She lives in a scavenging camp, which is a decent place to be in this world, with her son Veridian and secret-lover (relationships are highly discouraged) Leo. Skye faces a lot of tough choices and harrowing situations throughout this n
TinaMarie
Feb 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
Kaycee Warner
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
*I received a free copy for reviewing*

What is it about?

Ruins of Fate by Jamie A. Waters is a dystopian/post-apocalyptic novel following Skye. Skye was pregnant and abandoned by her lover in an unforgiving world. She was able to buy their way into a scavenging camp where she and her son Veridian spend the next eight years. After a massive storm hits supplies are running low and many are left injured. With their livelihood in jeapardy Skye must protect her family against the harsh realities of
Sam Everard
Aug 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Having been completely captivated by another series from this author, I had high hopes that I'd find a similar feel here. Knowing that it was a novella, I wasn't sure whether to expect much in the way of suspense or storytelling... but I was pleasantly surprised that it lacked neither and I was instantly swept away.

It starts with the tension of a quick mission against the backdrop of a raging storm, and continues to keep readers at the edge of their seat with camp politics, (not so) whispered ro
Mia
Apr 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
I initially encountered Jamie A Waters through a fantasy series she had written, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that her sci-fi stuff was just as good. Set in a post-apocalyptic world, Ruins of Fate introduces a wasteland populated by people scavenging artefacts and resources from the ruins of buildings in order to survive in an extremely harsh environment.

The very harshness of their lives makes the characters have to learn to be strong and able to fight to hang on to what is theirs, but
Scherry  at The Novel Lady
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to receive an ARC of this book from the author. Although this is a prequel to the Omni Towers series, you can read it at any time, or even read it as a stand-alone (although the ending will leave you so intrigued that you will want to read more!) I actually had read all six of the books in this series before reading Ruins of Fate. I loved it! I'm addicted to it! I read this one in one day because I could not put it down.

Without giving away any spoilers, Jamie Waters gives us a gl
Teresa
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
**I received a copy of Ruins of Fate from Net Galley and Xpresso Book Tours in exchange for a voluntary and honest review. My opinions stated below are mine alone and not solicited in any way**

Ruins of Fate by Jamie A. Waters is a Prequel to her Omni Towers series. Ms. Waters is a new author to me and I have to say that this book really surprised me as I liked it I'll probably get the next book so that I can find out how Kayla and Carl's story plays out.

Skye Levanthe is a ruin rat which means t
Kasey Connors-Beron
Dec 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of Ruins of Fate thanks to the publisher through BookSirens for an honest review.

I really enjoy Skye’s story. This is a prequel to the series and a really great hook. I am fascinated to know what the Towers are and what Kayla ‘is’.

All the characters are so wholesome? Not quite sure that’s the right word but there aren’t really any bad characters. It is definitely a human race vs. desolate wasteland rather than against evil social force or person. At least that’s what I got from
Beba Andric
Mar 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Interesting dystopian story. Set in a world of total devastation, the people outside the Towers are left to fend for themselves. They have camps, where every day is a struggle. They have no opinion but to scavenge for supplies and food. They are the discarded, struggling to survive, whilst the people in the Tower live a privileged life. The scavengers risk their lives daily, stealing what they can to survive. The various camps are very competative and the leaders keep a tight reign. Skye has a c ...more
Lori
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Received as an ARC, this is an honest review. Set fifteen years before Beneath the Fallen City, we meet Skye, a ruin rat doing everything possible to keep her camp going. Even if it means risky her life in the process. Fighting for her son Veridian and crew is one thing but when she and Leo return with a child named Kayla- their leader Daryl forces her to make a choice. Relying on her wits, Skye attracts the attention of a trader at a family camp- and a way to save their camp; it just means stea ...more
Amanda Carle St-Jacques
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Book Review
Ruins of Fate by Jamie A. Waters
⭐⭐⭐⭐

Having not read any of the Omni Towers series before, I was going into this prequel without knowing the story.

Jamie does a great job and drops the reader right off the start with showing the dedication that Skye has for the lives of others. The courage that Skye has to not only raise her own son, but also take in an orphaned little girl, in a time where too is minimal, is amazing.

The story takes you into the future where a scavengers camp is in th
Wanda Jewell
Sep 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good dystopian story. The main character Skye has a son that she protects fiercely. She also has a romantic interest in Leo, the second in command. They are scavengers trying to live in a desolate world. Having a son in the scavengers is not usually done, but Skye's buy in and her work ethic has helped keep them in the group. When the catastrophic storm hits and injures Skye's hand,causes many of the other scavengers to be injured as well as ruining the supplies, the leader is ...more
Mrs LIR Linda
Dec 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I had already the book: Beneath the Fallen Towers and had really enjoyed the story about Kayla scavenging to survive. So when I was offered a free book telling Kayla's back story I jumped at the chance to review it.
Ruins of Fate is the story of Sky and her young son's fight to survive in a ruined apocalyptic world. The characters are likeable and the vivid ruined world descriptions are frightening.... during a scavenging raid that goes wrong Sky is summoned by an inner voice to find and save the
Christine Jordan
Feb 06, 2021 rated it liked it
I received this book for an honest review. I really enjoyed this book. I know it is a prequel for an existing series but I was informed that reading this book prior to beginning the series is beneficial. I really like how well developed the characters are. It was a well paced story and I found it didn't lag at all. I found I was becoming more and more curious as to what kinds of powers Skye has. Sky is the main person in this book. She has one child named Viridon. While she is out scavenging wit ...more
Jean-Charles Garaud
Mar 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
It was my first attempt at a novel from Jamie Waters, who is in this story describes a Dystopian world in which humankind is left to foraging in ruins to survive beside an untouched area on which the Omni Towers are built.
The novel covers the adventures of Leo, Skye and her son Veridian main characters of a group of scavengers who day by day are forced to take increasing risks to find goods and artefacts of the
Sara
Apr 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
The story had me from the first page. I was drawn into Skye's world and wanted to fight beside her to help them make a life for themselves.

Living in ruins their only chance at survival is scavenging. As supplies dwindle hard decisions need to be made. The scary part is, how far do you let yourself fall when you come across hard situations? I was emboldened by how Skye and Leo hold to what is right and fight for those who cannot fight for themselves.

Story is a prequel for the rest of the series.
-RadioactiveBookworm-
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I read the first book in the series, Beneath the Fallen City, I was instantly hooked, and couldn't put it down. I've become kind of addicted to the series, I think about it all the time, and I'm always wondering what will happen in the second book, even though I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet. Luckily, this prequel came along, and I finally satisfied my craving for this series.

Check out my full review here!

Kim
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
***I received an ARC from BookSirens and am leaving this review voluntarily.***

Ruins of Fate is a prequel to her Omni Tower series. The author does an excellent job of creating a desolate post-apocalyptic world inhabited by traders (those of the Towers) and ruin rats (those forced to scrape a meager living by scouring the abandoned ruins for things to trade). This is the story of Skye and her son Veridian.

I loved this story. I thought it was very well done, flowed nicely and had great character
Katherine Jordan
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a different story and I enjoyed it greatly. I read it in one sitting because I couldn’t put it down. The environment was well written to show the danger of the times. The story flowed well and kept you interested from start to finish. I have not been disappointed in any of the story’s I have read by Jamie Waters. I am looking forward to the next story because I need to know what happens with the little girl they found.

I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this rev
Scarolet Ellis
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ruins of Fate (The Omni Towers, Prequel) by Jamie A. Waters is a wonderful story that I have read. This is the prequel to start this brand new series that I fell in love with. I love reading this action, adventure romance with general fantasy thrown in and I highly recommend this story to everyone who loves all of this in their stories.

Lianna
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy through Voracious Readers.

Captivating characters, gripping story. A different world that was very well described. I finished the book within a couple of sittings, couldn't put it down.

I am very excited to read the rest of the series. I have to find out how things turn out for Skye and her new family. New favorite author!
Fred Fanning
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
A short and enjoyable read. The author has written a great story with some memorable characters. The descriptions of the scenery are very good and help set up the story. Even the villains of the story are redeemable. I recommend this for a good weekend read. I am also interested in the follow on books of this series.

• The Elements of the Crown (The Elements of Kamdaria, #1)
  • Spark of Shadows
  • Asher (Keepers Of The Lake, #4)
  • Renegade Kisses (Texas Bad Boys #1)
  • Splintered Stars
  • Ashes on the Earth: An urban fantasy shifter series (Stones of Fire Book 1)
  • Lucid World
  • Terra in Bloom
  • Star Mate Matched (Interstellar Shifters #1)
  • Heath (Keepers Of The Lake, #2)
  • Second Chance Soul (Second Chance Academy, #2)
  • Bachelor Beast (Interstellar Brides Program: The Beasts, #1)
  • Fallen Moon: Wolves of Thunder Cove: A Paranormal Shifter Romance
  • Ravenheart (Crossbreed #2; Mageriverse #17)
  • Scorned Princess: An Enemies to Lovers Gang Romance (Crooked Paradise Book 1)
  • Cole (Keepers of the Lake, #1)
  • Suds and Sam Plus One (Suds and Sam #7)
  • Wilderness (Midnight Sun, #1)
Jamie A. Waters is an award-winning, science-fiction and fantasy writer. Her first novel, Beneath the Fallen City (previously titled as The Two Towers), was a winner of the Readers' Favorite Award in Science-Fiction/Fantasy Romance and the CIPA EVVY Award in Science-Fiction.

Jamie currently resides in Florida with two neurotic dogs who enjoy stealing socks. When she's not pursuing her passion of w

The Omni Towers (6 books)
  • Beneath the Fallen City (The Omni Towers, #1)
  • Shadow of the Coalition (The Omni Towers, #2)
  • Tremors of the Past (The Omni Towers Series Book 3)
  • Drop of Hope (The Omni Towers, #4)
  • Flames of Redemption (The Omni Towers, #5)
  • Spirit of the Towers (The Omni Towers, #6)