Start by marking “Solstice” as Want to Read:
Solstice

Solstice

A music fest goes wrong in this comic YA thriller as selfie-mad concert-goers wake up to realize their tropical island fantasy is a deadly nightmare.

When Adri is offered an all-expenses-paid trip to the exclusive Solstice Festival, she throws caution, her prestigious summer internship, and her parents goodwill to the wind. She just wants to live a little before the first
Published February 18th 2020 by Imprint

To ask other readers questions about Solstice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solstice

Start your review of Solstice
Kevin
Probably more like 3.5, but whatever. It's a fun horror story that wraps up a little too quickly. I would have liked more time once the deaths start. If you liked watching Fyre Festival documentaries and are interested, you'll probably like it.
Heather (The Sassy Book Geek)
I mean on Edelweiss the title says it's a "Tropical Horror Comedy" and I'm sold.
Sharon
Mar 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
As advertised, this book was Fyre Festival meets Terror from the Deep. I really enjoyed the first half, in which regular old working-class girl Adri is invited by her rich friend to join her for the music festival of a lifetime and sneaks out on her protective parents to go. Adri's life--waiting tables at the family's diner and going to fancy private school--is loving but claustrophobic, her friend Elena is sweet, and the other attendees are rich snobs. It's kind of perfect.

Once the Solstice
Aoife
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, 2020e, a2, a3e, imprint, 2020arc
The music event of the year descends into tragedy in this fast paced read.

Adri works hard in her family's diner, studies for college and is about to start a prestigious internship - in the career her parents have chosen for her. When she gets the chance to take a weekend off with her best friend, at the music festival of the year, she takes it. But things very quickly start to go wrong...

For some reason, when I started this, I thought it was a comedy. I was completely wrong. This book wouldn't
Cristal Jatip
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A music fest goes wrong in this comic thriller when selfie-mad concert goers wake up realizing their tropical island fantasy is a deadly nightmare.

What a great book! It was exactly what I needed: short!and light, funny, with a touch of scare and mystery. I couldnt put the book down.

A great campy story reminiscent of movies like Scary Movie and I love lame campy movies lol.
Kacey
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for the free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. My opinion was not affected by the free copy.

I was enticed by this because it was said to be comedic horror/mystery/thriller. And while this was not the sort of comedy that made me laugh out loud, it definitely was the sort that was ridiculous. Though at the same time, it was hard for me to tell if it was purposefully being this ridiculous sometimes. I honestly can't imagine a lot of this
Vanessa
Quick take:
Solstice by Lorence Allison is a young adult standalone horror novel. It is basically the Fyre Festival fiasco put into a novel with mass murder and monsters added for a little razzle dazzle.

Synopsis:
The smart, responsible, lower-income Adri is offered an all-expense paid trip to Solstice Festival, a VIP, star-studded, once-in-a-lifetime trip by her pretty and super-rich friend Elena and Elena's dad. The festival is being hyped on social media for having five-star accommodations,
Rachel
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult-read
When reading the tagline for this book "A Tropical Horror Comedy" I knew I was going to be in for something unique as I reviewed the Advanced Reader Copy provided to me by the publisher for review. However, at the completion of the story I'm not sure that it met any of the descriptions beyond Tropical.

Minor spoilers below...

The premise of the book is a famous YouTube Influencer set up a VIP concert on a topical island, staging all the hottest acts, with luxurious accommodations, for the low
Taylor
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-books
I was told this was a comedy-horror story! It was really cool and fast bc i read it in a single day but it wasn't as funny as I hoped. Really cool tho and i did like it
in the beginning it had like an "eat the rich" vibe if youre into that
I love the name elena and i liked their friendship a lot. it was really interesting to see her and steve tho and see a toxic relationship from the outside
the end was really good
i thought paul was way older than he actually was so that was weird before I realized
Garrett Lampson
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
I received this ARC of the book through the Goodreads giveaways. I could not put this book down. I'm obviously a little old to relate to the liberal thoughts of the main character but I loved this none the less. I didn't rate higher than three stars because the characters seemed a bit forced and some of the internal dialogue was cheesy.

All that said, I'd happily recommend this to a friend. I'm happy I read this!
Baker St Shelves
Mar 08, 2020 rated it liked it
An all expense paid trip to an island with multiple music guests and several fun activities for everyone! What can possibly go wrong?
Not long after the kids arrive things go south as bodies start piling up and they realize theyre part of a trap.
As far as YA horror goes, this was a good attempt but there are plenty of times when it just felt as if the characters were going through the motions and not all that invested in whats happening. Good attempt, just need refinement.
rachel ☾
◯ Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Blog Goodreads Twitter Instagram The Book Depository
Katie Lawrence
Ok this was super fun. A rollicking light horror/social commentary/thriller about teens who travel to a remote island for a fancy music festival, only for everything to go horribly wrong. Adri was a great character, fierce and determined too. Most other characters are not super well-developed, but it really didn't matter a whole lot. This read like the script of a light horror movie, tons of action and very gripping too.
Sya
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
You can blast through this in an hour or so and it won't kill or thrill you. Try watching Fyre: The Best Festival that Never Happened and reading Lovecraft for the same sort of thing but with less of a Scooby Do vibe.
Orlanda Thompson
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What could have happen at FYRE Fest ..... maybe

Quick read. Was fascinated by FYRE Fest and wanted to see what the author would do with the background story line. Glad I did. Would read this author again.
Pam McDaniel
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Solstice was an average read, but I believe if I were a young adult, I might find Solstice to be an exciting story.
salma
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5
tori 🕊
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 stars. Also, a trigger warning for two relationships between a high school student and college student.
Katie
Mar 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: teen
A take on the disastrous Fyre Festival but with murder? Sounds good! If only it hadn't turned into a monster mystery.
CR
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This 280+ page book is one you won't soon forget. It was a great story to read and have fun with and I loved it. The characters were great and the story was well paced with a lot of action.
Kayla
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Different and not what I was expecting but I like it a lot.
Emily
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun quick escape read (especially for right now!)
Michell
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
An easy and fun read.
Beth
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 - Tropical Horror Comedy says it all.
William Cook
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like music festivals like Coachella and the Electric Forest youll definitely find Solstice interesting! A music festival turns deadly when a body shows up on a tropical island! 5/5 stars! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ...more
Fifi
Jan 30, 2020 rated it liked it
I love dark comedy lmao this sounds like one of those horror books that are so dumb its hilarious. NEED ...more
Liveta
Mar 11, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Secret History
  • All Your Twisted Secrets
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • The Upside of Falling
  • Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, #4)
  • Risking It All
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Foul Is Fair (Foul Is Fair #1)
  • Strange Planet
  • The Stars We Steal
  • 2 Fuzzy, 2 Furious (The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, #2)
  • Squirrel Meets World (The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, #1)
  • Be Not Far From Me
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • The June Boys
  • Sparrow
  • The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, #3)
  • Miss You Love You Hate You Bye