Start by marking “Wasted Pretty” as Want to Read:
Wasted Pretty

Wasted Pretty

During junior year of high school, star student and stellar lacrosse player Alice Burton grew four inches, and, thanks to her mom's experimental health food products, shed twenty pounds. Alice has mixed feelings about her surprising transformation.

On the plus side: Chris Thompson, the hot college guy she has a crush on, talks to her.

On the minus side: Her dad's creepy frie
Published April 18th 2019 by Black Rose Writing

To ask other readers questions about Wasted Pretty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wasted Pretty

Start your review of Wasted Pretty
Mick
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was so damn good.

I don't want to post any spoilers, but I will say that I'm not sure I've read anything before that so perfectly captured what it feels like to be a girl on the verge of womanhood, to be navigating a changing body and changing worldview as you see your parents as flawed, whole people, to be confused about love and sex and life and to feel powerless so much of the time even as you begin to recognize your own power (and that it sometimes is "granted" to you by people for
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
1 STAR

Alice, coming of age in the 1990s, deals with the pressures of misogyny and sexual harassment.

I didn’t enjoy WASTED PRETTY and am not sure why Jamie Beth Cohen chose to set the story in the early 1990s except perhaps to tell a story when romantic relationships between older high school students and younger college kids wasn’t taboo. I graduated from high school in 1982 and would bet most women in my generation experienced being treated as a sexual object.

When Alice is ogled at by an adult
Desiré Oosthuizen
Audiobook Review

I will start with the easiest part that is the narration, it was good a few back ground noises but nothing off putting or taking away from the story being told, would I have preferred an age and gender appropriate narrator of cause. But all and all the narrator did good work.

Now for the book! How could it just end like that? I was listening to this book I laughed, I cried and I could relate I gave it 5 stars in my head and then it just ended. I really enjoyed it so much, it got m
Pamela
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
chels marieantoinette
I liked the idea of this book, but it fell short.
The whole set-in-the-90s part excited me. It was unnecessary, but I liked all the references.
I also really didn’t understand Alice’s parents or brother. They were all genuinely horrible. As the child of a mother who put me on wild diets, I wasn’t totally surprised, but it was still sad to read. And the dad seemed like such a shady, sketchy asshole going out drinking with creepy baseball players and hating teenage soccer players and chastising his
Rebecca Thatcher-Murcia
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jamie Beth Cohen’s Wasted Pretty delves into the maddening, mysterious and often secretive world of teen-age girls in a story that is utterly captivating and believable. From the first page, when Alice notes that her father has given her new responsibilities as part of his radio show, and that with those responsibilities come both opportunities and dangers, I found it very hard to put the book down. At times I wondered why the character made such questionable decisions, but although Alice sudden ...more
Angela Bigler
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can’t applaud Jamie enough on this gem of a book—true to itself in every way. I read it in one sitting because I was so engrossed in Alice’s journey, a journey I could so easily fall into because of its vivid, emotional richness. So many people write off the feelings of young people and the challenges they face, but Jamie tells the truth through Alice, a teenager filled with depth and emotion. Alice speaks to us in a raw, clear voice as she navigates serious and confusing issues relating to he ...more
Emily Popek
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I finished reading "Wasted Pretty" months ago and the characters are still strong in my mind. Jamie Beth Cohen tells the story of a teenage girl in all her imperfections, struggles and desires in a way that rings true. This is a book without cookie-cutter characters: they aren't heroes and villains, but real people with flaws and foibles, which is part of what makes the story gripping and true-to-life. In addition, the story explores sexual topics (including sexual assault) with dignity and grac ...more
Anna
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm pretty torn about this book. At first, I really liked it, despite certain characters always being referred to by their full names.
But the romance between a 16/17 year old and a 20/21 year old made me itch a little, especially since the elder was too emotionally mature for their age.
A mother putting her teen on a diet bothered me, even though I know it's not uncommon.
And the non-ending was pretty disappointing.

It does touch on difficult subjects fairly well, however, and the pace is good. I
Daphne
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a grandmother, I thought this book probably wasn’t for me. 45 years ago- yes. Sitting down to page one, I decided to read Bell’s “coming of age” book with the eyes of a teenager. It didn’t take long to remember all those insecurities, body awareness woes, pressures of school and emotions (that most of us girls experienced). Tough times and yet almost an essential part of becoming women. Bell also makes us remember first loves and how all of these life lessons will play their part in shaping t ...more
Amy Hill
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and found it hard to put down. Great character development. It brought to life being 16 again - the good and bad we went through in our teens. Remembering a first love, our awkward new bodies especially when others start responding differently to you as a woman, the fear around harassment and excuses we make for when we that happens - is all very well brought to life in this enjoyable book. Great job!
Jonathan Alexander
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
MUST READ FOR MEN WHO WANT TO UNDERSTAND WOMEN BETTER!

This book follows a 16 year old girl as she encounters the pluses and minuses of developing into an attractive woman and the wanted and unwanted attention she faces. This is a must read for men who wish to understand the challenges women encounter.

Jamie Beth Cohen did an outstanding job with this book. Can’t wait to read the sequel! Very easy to read and engaging. Couldn’t put the book down!
Susan
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every teenager (female and male) should read this coming of age novel that deals with some very sensitive subjects - family dynamics, first love, underage drinking, body image, sexual harassment. Jamie Beth Cohen does a wonderful job of addressing these issues while telling a story of growing up in the early 1990s in Pittsburgh, PA.
Meg
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm 72 and wish I had had this book to read when I was 16...or 12..or 22. The slang was different but the situations were believable and the characters familiar.

I would recommend for anyone at any age.
Jessica Russak-Hoffman
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It took me two or three chapters to be sucked in, but once I was, I couldn't put it down and read and read and read until I was staring off into the distance wondering how the author got the 90s soooooo right! This was so good.
Gabriela Nahm
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! It’s a fantastic summer read full of drama, heartbreak, and emotional rollercoasters, and it also comments on complex social issues like sexual abuse, relationships, and body image. This coming-of-age book truly captures the struggles of being a teenage girl. Although it is set in the 1990s, it resonates with teenagers today and is a truly enjoyable read.
Isabelle
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredible, heartbreaking, endearing.

I loved this book so much. I fell in love with the plot, the characters, the story. Overall, a stunning read.
Kit Frick
Jamie Beth Cohen drew me in completely with this heartfelt and deeply honest coming-of-age story steeped in the world of rock ‘n’ roll and radio and shot through with the ache of first love.
Laura Trout
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jaime Beth reminds us of the complex teen years when we face adult situations without the benefit of adult skills.
Melissa
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wasted Pretty elicits those coming-of-age emotions that can get buried in adulthood. Highly recommend for a weekend of rediscovery.
Kelsey
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hoping for a sequel!!!!
Angela
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novel is well-written and wholly enjoyable! While the story is set in the 1990’s, the story, issues covered, and character development are highly relevant to current day.
Joshua Bellin
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A YA novel for the #MeToo generation, this book tells the story of a teenage girl's sexual assault by a family friend. The voice of the protagonist glows with honesty, authenticity, and acerbic wit.
Pleasure Your Shelf
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Bit of a non-ending but otherwise good read. Many nostalgic feelings surfaced on reading.
Samantha Mansfield
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book.

More than your typical YA book, it is deeper and addresses a sad but all too true topic.

Highly recommend not just for teenagers, but their parents as well. (less)
Logan
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wasted Pretty was an amazing book that really touches on the struggles of standing up for yourself in a situation that seems pitted against you. It goes in depth on Alice’s struggles not just as a teenager figuring herself out in the ‘90s but also the horrible reality of sexual harassment that, unfortunately, some people still relate to today. I have Wasted Pretty to thank for its eye-opening life lessons like the need to speak up that will stay with me forever.
Krista Rownd
Nov 23, 2019
Amanda
Dec 05, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Friended: A Nostalgia Songfic (Modern Love Book 1)
  • Spin
  • #TheRealCinderella
  • Fading
  • Five Minutes Late
  • Saving Sofia (The Russo Sisters, #1)
  • I'm Not Dying with You Tonight
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • In the Middle of Nowhere (Willow's Journey #1)
  • The Boyfriend Plot (Blue River Boys #1)
  • Woman on the Edge
  • That Boy (That Boy, #1)
  • Clover Park Boxed Set Books 1-3
  • Nine Elms (Kate Marshall, #1)
  • Chasing Echoes (Chasing Echoes #1)
  • Cheat Codes (Dawson Family, #1)
  • The Obituary Society (The Obituary Society, #1)