Start by marking “De parade” as Want to Read:
De parade

De parade

In een naamloos land wordt na een decennium oorlog een nieuwe weg aangelegd die de twee helften van het land met elkaar verbindt. Twee buitenlandse aannemers zijn verantwoordelijk voor de voltooiing ervan. Terwijl de een avontuurlijk is, het nachtleven en de mensen wil ervaren, wil de ander het liefst zo snel mogelijk terug naar huis. Gaandeweg worden de beide mannen gecon ...more
Published March 19th 2019 by Lebowski

To ask other readers questions about De parade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about De parade

BlackOxford
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american
Paving the Road to Hell

What is the authentic measure of a human being: his commitments to an important goal; or his responses to unforeseen circumstances? Commitments are professional; responses are personal. Commitments are often contractual; responses are usually not obligatory, especially when they may require criminality as well as ingenuity.

The question becomes even more intriguing when the people involved do not know each other, not even by name. And when both commitments and ad hoc respon
Lori
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Four, a man aspiring to be an automaton, and assigned co-worker, Nine pave a road across a war-devastated countryside. Nine is of a plant out of place. He shouldn't be there. Or as Four thinks:
Four had never met this man, and did not think himself capable of prophecy, but in a instant he knew Nine was an agent of chaos and would make the difficult work ahead far more so.

Lasting impressions will be the health aide worker who doesn't want to stop watching television when someone in need knocks o
Elyse Walters
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In an unamed country...recovery from the civil war ...marred with corruption and burdened by a new lawless government....
two men - named Four and Nine (security company pseudonyms), are on a 12-day assignment to repair a road before a planned parade by the President, “ known for political theater.

Both of these men were anonymous and of little value... other than do their job.

Four dishes out the important tasks. He’s the boss! Serious - responsible - most experienced.... sixty three different as
Sam Quixote
Two (probably American) contractors have to pave a new road across the blighted, war-torn landscape of a Third World shithole (probably in Africa) so the new regime can have a parade on it. A novel about road paving. And it’s as exciting to read as it sounds!

I like Dave Eggers but his books set in Africa/the Middle East are, for whatever reason, turrible. I hoped Eggers would take the mundane setup and do something interesting with it - no way could the book be so determinedly dull - but, nope,
Linda
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Don't you see? It's like a parade before the real parade. This is one of hope. A procession of longing."

Dave Eggers sets the wheels turning in this one. He sets his storyline within the margins of an unnamed country ravaged by war for over ten years. Peace is a construct served up by the government under questionable circumstances. A road is to be laid out connecting the north to the south for the first time in forever. A parade of celebration will be take place after completion.

Eggers never qu
Ron Charles
What are we to make of his slight new novel, “The Parade,” a tale of Western assistance in the developing world?

The story opens in an unnamed country that has recently emerged from civil war. To reunify this broken land, an international company has been hired to build a highway connecting the rural south to the urban north. In two weeks, when the work is done, the president will hold a parade to demonstrate his nation’s new era of peace and prosperity. All that remains is to pave and paint this
Nancy
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-to-read
Four just wanted to do his job. He operated a state-of-the-art paver and he had a schedule to meet. He was to pave a road that would connect two halves of a country, the rebels at one end and the modern city and army at the other end. He was to keep to himself, not get involved, just do his duty and go home.

Nine had other ideas. He was to ride ahead and remove anything that might hinder Four's advancement. But Nine was a free spirit. He chatted up the locals, ate at their fires and went to bed
Alex
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

This was a pretty sharp and satirical short story about contract work in developing countries. I appreciate Eggers and enjoy his tone and manages to say unexpected and profound things.
Bailey
The premise is simple enough: a pair of western contractors have been sent to an unnamed country that has been ravaged by years of civil war. In this time of peace, they have been contracted to pave a road bridging the northern and southern regions of this country. The story is narrated by Four, the older and more experienced of the two men. Four intends to carry out this job has he has every assignment before, but Nine throws a wrench in that. As Four keeps his head down and his gaze fixed on t ...more
Jeroen Schwartz
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dwdd
Grunbergiaans, satirisch boek over hulpverlening en bureaucratie. Het sterke aan Eggers’ werk is zijn bevlogenheid, zijn onvermoeibare journalistieke insteek. Eggers is nergens zeurderig, wel schrijnend en boven alles is De Parade een bijna klassieke, Orwelliaanse vertelling met meer lagen dan je zou vermoeden. Zijn boeken gaan altijd over mensen die verzuipen maar ergens een reddingsboei proberen te vinden. Laat dat voor de mens de literatuur zijn.
Art
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
My actual rating is 4.5 for this masterful piece of storytelling by Dave Eggers. There is not a wasted word in this short account of two men who have been charged with building a road to unify an unknown country that has been ravaged by 10 years of civil war. Conflict on all levels - personal, interpersonal, and societal - is a central theme. The resolution of these conflicts makes for compelling reading and creates an underlying current of stress throughout the book. I have been unable to let g ...more
Marcia
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Achter de prachtige cover van De parade schuilt een verrassend goed verhaal vol humor, maar tegelijkertijd mededogen. Een verhaal over de huidige maatschappij, over oorlog en uitersten. Twee mannen - Vier en Negen - die in niets op elkaar lijken, hebben de taak een nieuwe weg aan te leggen in een naamloos land. Maar kunnen zij als buitenstaanders ooit de nasleep van de oorlog in dit land begrijpen? Hoewel het einde behoorlijk voorspelbaar was, was ik toch onder de indruk. Het is interessant om t ...more
Tom Mooney
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable, strange satire, which is about as fresh and far removed from most American literature as you are likely to find.

The Parade follows the construction of a long straight road connecting the north and south of a middle eastern country recently ravaged by civil war. The two workers building this road are western, employees of a large, wealthy company, and are known to each other only by numbers they have assigned themselves.

Four and Nine, as they are called, are polar opposites; one a f
Kasa Cotugno
When Dave Eggers wants to make a point, he writes a book. And whereas some are definitely more successful, his intent more clear, there is no one who can come close. My favorites are those in which he presents a larger picture by focussing on a smaller, more personal story (such as Zeitoun, What is the What, and the Monk of Mocha). I slip this one into the same slat as The Circle and Hologram for the King. His point here is his own, and if it not as accessible as some of his other works, I'll ke ...more
Chris Haak
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two men (Americans?) are paving a road in an unnamed country (somewhere in the Middle East?) where there has just been a war. Once the road is finished a parade will take place to celebrate the end of the war. This plot may not sound very interesting, but this book is well worth the read! It starts of a bit slowly, but halfway through it starts getting more and more interesting and this short novel ends with a bang! I won't give away what kind of bang though...

Matthew
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve had a love/hate – or more accurately, like/dislike – relationship with Dave Eggers’ work since cracking A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius nearly two decades ago. Like many I was hooked immediately by the author’s confidence, his seemingly effortless ability to craft poignant, if not allegorical, tales just about anyone can relate to.

Eggers hasn’t always stuck to this approach, however. It was when he messed with the formula, muddied up his storytelling with self-righteousness, that
Dina
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite Eggers book. Four was my favorite character but I did feel bad for Nine at times. I know Nine meant well with wanting to eat with the locals and communicate with them but in a way I feel like this contributed to the sad ending. I love Eggers’ writing style but this book although short was hard to read at times. Thanks to Penguin Random House/First to Read for the review copy.
Greg Zimmerman
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short parable is the kind of read in which everyone will see something different. Some will see at as cynical, some hopeful, still others will see it just as a waste of time. I liked it. Eggers is always interesting and progress is always messy.
Michael
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you read Dave Eggers you know his style. Mostly it is from the point of one person inner dialogue that always seems to suffer from some form of neuroses. That has not changed and you know i enjoy it. He makes it work.

This can be hardly be called a book, really it is a short story with a twist ending.

It will hold me over till his next proper novel.
Tom Walsh
Dave Eggers is an enigma. This is the fifth book of his that I have tackled and I’m never sure exactly why I have undertaken it. Not that he’s not a fine writer. He is. But he’s all over the lot. His subject matter ranges from the reaction to the current state of society, as in Zeitoun and The Circle, to fever dreams like Hologram for the King and What is the What.

Maybe that is the attraction. His work shows a deep commitment to what he’s trying to express and he draws you in to follow his stru
Shawna
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two foreign contractors are hired to build a road in a third world country. One is free spirited, the other is straight laced and serious. Each learn lessons of their ways.

I won this book from good reads giveaways. It is only 179 pages so I knew I could finish it quickly and add it to my yearly reading goal 😬
I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did. I mean it’s so thin! How could a book so thin have an amazing story inside??? I was wrong. It was a great read!
reading_mona
it was boring, i didnt like the characters and barely anything happening pretty much until the end. And them come on seriously THIS END ? Are you kidding ? I won’t spoil anything but for those of you who read it i mean seriously ? I understand where Eggers was trying to get with that but since this whole book was a drag to read for me i really didnt appreciate this end whatsoever. The only reason it gets two stars is because i didn’t stop mid-way. I don’t even know how i made it to the end.
Bram
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An urgently modern fable, with lashings of Beckett and Kafka, an undercurrent of Kadare and a fistful of, well, Eggers. Early contender for book of the year, from me.
Barbara
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read in one sitting. Ditto Ron Charles’s review, especially what he says about the ending. I mean, huh? Still, the story had me until then.
Yuko Shimizu
Wait... what the f' was this all about!!!???
Daniel Simmons
A pretty good short story that's being touted/marketed as a masterpiece novella. Eggers' writing was enjoyable and thought-provoking as always, but this particular narrative occupied an uneasy and (for me) unconvincing space between character study and dark 21st-century fable. Plus the end seemed both cynical and gimmicky.
Susanne Koster
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Waarin dunne boeken aantonen van wereldklasse te zijn. Voor mijn volledige recensie zie:
Dave
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This character driven short work is about two contractors, 4 and 9, who must complete a road to the capital of an unknown, war torn country, in time for a planned parade.
4 is focused on the task at hand and follows the rules, 9 is responsible for clearing all obstacles, yet seems to be the biggest one with his wild ways.
I've read many Dave Eggers books, and was moderately disappointed in this one until I finished it. Wow what an ending.
While it's not my favorite of his I would still definitely
GONZA
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was claustrophobic for me, all the time I couldn't stop reading because every chapter something was going to happen and even if it wasn't I couldn't stop reading because I was fearing the worst. So I read it in one setting and was not disappointed because I liked it a lot, not his best, but still....

Questo libro é stato claustrofobico per me, dall'inizio alla fine e infatti l'ho letto in un'unica sessione perché ogni capitolo prometteva nuovi sviluppi da temere e non riuscivo a trovare
Dave Eggers is the author of ten books, including most recently Your Fathers, Where Are They? And the Prophets, Do They Live Forever?, The Circle and A Hologram for the King, which was a finalist for the 2012 National Book Award. He is the founder of McSweeney’s, an independent publishing company based in San Francisco that produces books, a quarterly journal of new writing (McSweeney’s Quarterly ...more