Start by marking “The Mirror's Tale (Further Tales Adventures, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Mirror's Tale (Further Tales Adventures, #4)

The Mirror's Tale

(Further Tales Adventures #4)

Everyone has heard the story -- the dwarves, the talking mirror, the evil witch. But this tale doesn't belong to Snow White anymore....

Bert and Will, the twin sons of the baron of Ambercrest, are best friends. They do everything together and can't help it if trouble just seems to...find them. But the baron is fed up and has decided that separation will keep them out of m
Published June 1st 2006 by Aladdin (first published May 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Mirror's Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mirror's Tale

cynthia ✨
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think the only reason this book didn't get a full 5-star rating was because the plot was very predictable. I still really liked it aha
Stephanie
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
Ben and Will are twins who get into a lot of trouble together. This is disappointing to their father, the baron, and their mother, the baroness. When they nearly burn down the map room it sends their parents over the edge, and they come up with a plan to split the boys up. Will is going to live with his uncle in the Crags, while Ben is to stay at home at the castle. The two tricksters decide that plan doesn’t work and they switch places. No one is the wiser until it's too late. Unfortunately, th ...more
Erica Flory
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it
the most disturbing book in this series
Brittany Wells
Will and Bert, twin boys who are always getting into trouble. They are the sons of the Baron, who is a descendant of Snow White. One summer when the Baron and his wife couldn't take it anymore. They split the boys up for a summer. Bert ends up at his uncle's place and Will stays home. Will is learning how to fight and be brave from a knight. Bert spends time with his aunt and exploring. Bert discovers a mysterious hideout, deep underground his room. He discovers a mirror, who whispers things to ...more
Megan
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great story about what happened a few generations after Snow White and the Witch-Queen.
Tessa Joy
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it
As punishment for misbehaving, twins Bert and Will are separated for the summer. Bert is sent off to his Uncle Hugh’s mountain fortress while Will stays home to train with Andreas the knight. While exploring his new surroundings, Bert discovers a secret chamber housing the mirror the Witch Queen used to plot against Bert and Will’s descendant, Snow White. Bert reawakens the mirror and soon he is poisoned by it’s power. But before Bert is fully enslaved, he writes a letter to Will telling him abo ...more
Gevork Salmastyan
Jan 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: already-read
I thought that this was a great book. The book will keep you hooked. There are many suspenseful moments and a big twist too, that will shock a lot of readers. Also, the ending of the book was really surprising. The best part of the book is the way the other told the story and his writing style. It was told from 3 perspectives. The two twins, Bert and Will, who get separated due to their childish acts at the Castle of Ambercrest and their messenger, Parley. Bert gets sent to his Uncle’s castle at ...more
Tripleguess
Sep 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Lately I've been seeing a lot of "fairy tale re-worked" novels going through my library. Some are decent; others drag out a beloved story and mutilate it via feminazism or some other PC attitude (i.e. demonizing the knight as a dead white male).

This one surprised me beyond my expectations. It was not a reworking, though it refers to the story of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Rather, it picks up the tale a few generations later... and, as the saying goes, it seems a few things have changed in
Phoebe
The tale of Snow White is now history, and her descendants live at Ambercrest. Bert and Will are twins who are always getting into trouble--until one night they go too far and their fed up parents decide to separate them. The more courageous, devilish twin, Bert, will stay home and learn to be the baron he will one day become, and Will, the quieter one, will be sent to stay with dreaded Uncle Hugh on the barren edge of nowhere. As usual the twins have tricks up their sleeves, and switch places. ...more
Lisa Rathbun
This was my favorite of the series! Great story! I could see it being a little too scary for sensitive kids on the younger age of the suggested range of 9-13.

I love that this series is for boys not just girls (although girls would enjoy them too). The luring seductiveness of power and the destructiveness of evil would be great topics to discuss with your kids after reading it.
Jessica
Jan 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
As with all of the Further Tales Adventure stories, the reality is that the original fairy tale did happen sometime in the past. The history of how the Wicked Queen became wicked was a fun discovery. This was a nice read that gripped me towards the end as everything raced towards the ending. The closing scene felt a little unfinished to me especially after such a strong story. I did love the characters and the situation they find themselves in and the danger of being a troublemaker.
Shelley
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was completely fantastic; everything children's fiction should be. Characters were relatable, text was readable but not simplistic and the plot and action were age appropriate. Catanese has a talent for writing books that appeal to boys and girls, with stories complex enough to engage adults too. I look forward to re-reading this one.
Renee Brown
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another great fairy tale adventure in the Further Adventures series. Spun from the story of Snow White - whose young descendants (several generations later) must battle evil forces. More boy-appeal than most fairy tales. Good for fans of Cornelia Funke's Reckless.
Melaniemouse
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Like I said in my review of #3, the author has definitely starting hitting his stride in these last two installments of the series. This was another great JV fantasy adventure, with a fun twist on the fairy tale. I've got #5 waiting for me on the couch :)
Ava Kistner
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was pretty good, and don't let the cover deceive you. Bertram (twin to will) is sent away because of how much mischief the twins make. And while at his Uncle crags he discovers something that could change
him and will forever.
Jahh Love
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
a whole new version of snow white , boys version .. i like this version that of snow white's .. it show pure strong motives of characters, manipulation and prophecies all in one classic story ..
Nova
Jan 22, 2008 rated it did not like it
The Mirror's Tale, written by P.W. Catanese, is one of the books in the Further Tales Adventure series. The Further Tales Adventures are sequels to classic fairy tales, but are intended for an older age group than that of the classic fairy tale. The Mirror’s Tale is the sequel to the story Snow White. Among the other titles are sequels for Jack and the Beanstalk, The Brave Little Tailor, Hansel and Gretel, and Rumpelstiltskin.
This story begins hundreds of years after the death of Snow White. Th
Aelvana
Oct 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Bert and Will have always been trouble. Because they're identical, they can play on their looks for even better pranks. But when they push their parents too far, the twins are separated for the first time in their lives. One of them will be sent to their uncle's fortress. The fortress once housed the evil Witch-Queen, and an evil force lingers there still . . .

This is an interesting twist on Snow White. Set around a hundred and fifty years after Snow White lived and died, the characters from the
Elevetha
May 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of fairytales retold, reimagined, or twisted on it's side
2.5 stars.

It was actually pretty good but my main beef(get ready for some horrible puns) is that it didn't have enough...meat. It felt so lacking. Lackluster and boring. It had such potential. I mean, let's think about this:

Set years after "Snow White", we have two brothers, troublemakers both, one of whom is sent to live with his uncle at the Crags in the hopes that keeping them apart will whip them into shape. Boy finds magic mirror. Boy becomes nice and corrupted. Attempts to send assassins
Brigitte Fisher
This was a great, Harry-Potterish style book. It had enough suspense and surprise to keep me reading. The only complaint I have would be the ending. For one, I didn't understand exactly what happened. The author crammed a lot of information in less than twenty pages, seemingly to quickly end the novel. It was very anticlimatic, as well.
Katie
Oct 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: continuation
Not a retelling, but the tale of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves is part of the history of this novel. I enjoyed Parley's point of view. Perhaps because it was written for a younger audience, I felt like the twin relationship and other family relationships lacked depth. Also, it seemed like it resolved too quickly.
Cecilia Rodriguez
Aug 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
Catanese creates a back story for the Evil Queen's magic mirror.
Twin brothers, Bert and Will are constantly getting into mischief. When one of their pranks goes wrong, Will is sent North to his Uncle.
At times, the plot edges very close to becoming allegorical and a badly written sermon.
Feb 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Another Kate pick. This was actually pretty entertaining. I think Kate will like it. It is a sort of spin off of Snow White, although years later, and it gives you some idea as to why the Wicked Queen was so wicked.
Kerri
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I read this in the car. It may be the best of the series, though I guess there is one more. Some of the writing was over the top as always, but when the mirror is first encountered it was so very creepy in its portrayal. Catanese definitely did well with the mirror character.
ghostlibrarian
The Mirror's Tale is a precautionary tale about the dangers of greed and the quest for power. I found myself drawn in and interested throughout the story as twin brothers battle to help each other and stay alive while fighting their own personal demons.
Muzik_gurl
Jun 17, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a very interesting fairy-tale continuation.
The Fairy Godmother
Sep 14, 2017
Teyah Graves
Aug 04, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Troll Bridge (A Rock'n' Roll Fairy Tale, #2)
  • Lowji Discovers America
  • Terribly Twisted Tales
  • Star Jumper: Journal of a Cardboard Genius
  • Ruby Lu, Empress of Everything
  • The Lady and the Lion: A Brothers Grimm Tale
  • Little Gold Star: A Spanish American Cinderella Tale
  • When I Crossed No-Bob
  • Midnight in Never Land
  • No Prince Charming (Grimm's Circle, #2)
  • Champ
  • Wild Magic
  • Fairy's Got Talent (Ever After High: A School Story #4)
  • Princess of the Wild Swans
  • Black Pearls: A Faerie Strand
  • The Book of One Hundred Truths
  • Queen of the Summer Stars (Guinevere, #2)
  • Rise of the Ragged Clover (The Luck Uglies, #3)
P.W. (Paul) Catanese is the author of fantasy-adventure novels (published by Aladdin/Simon & Schuster). His next novel, DONNY'S INFERNO, a supernatural adventure, will be published in early 2016.

A crisp style, fast pacing, interesting characters and vivid descriptions have made Catanese a favorite with everyone from reluctant readers to teachers to adults seeking a thrilling escape. His books

Further Tales Adventures (5 books)
  • The Thief and the Beanstalk (Further Tales Adventures, #1)
  • The Brave Apprentice (Further Tales Adventures, #2)
  • The Eye of the Warlock (Further Tales Adventures, #3)
  • The Riddle of the Gnome (Further Tales Adventures, #5)