Start by marking “The Monster at the End of this Book” as Want to Read:
The Monster at the End of this Book

The Monster at the End of this Book

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  114,902 ratings  ·  2,753 reviews
Many adults name this book as their favorite Little Golden Book. Generations of kids have interacted with lovable, furry old Grover as he begs the reader not to turn the page—for fear of a monster at the end of the book. “Oh, I am so embarrassed,” he says on the last page . . . for, of course, the monster is Grover himself!

This all-time favorite is now available as a Big
Published May 11th 2004 by Golden Books (first published 1971)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Books Ever
54,133 books — 188,505 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
4,352 books — 5,767 voters

More lists with this book...

·  114,902 ratings  ·  2,753 reviews

Jeremy
Jun 06, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children
I had a very love/hate relationship with The Muppets in my early youth. I really, really liked watching "The Muppet Show" and "Sesame Street". They were two of my favorite shows, and I still hold both in high regard. However, every now and then and completely out of nowhere, a Muppet would do something that genuinely terrified me. For example, I really hated that old "Sesame" sketch when a couple of mild-mannered puppets would calmly take turns whispering words that rhymed to a gently jazzy beat ...more
Diane
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This was one of my all-time favorite books when I was a kid. In the story, Grover begs the reader to stop turning pages because each page brings us closer to a monster at the end of the book, and Grover is afraid of monsters. He tries to nail the pages shut, he tries to tie the pages down, he even builds a brick wall. But somehow the reader always turns the page.

My mother used to read this book to me, and she was great at doing funny voices. I remember laughing so hard as she acted out Grover b
Raizel
Jul 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting.
Gave me goose bumps.

A true page turner till the end.
s.penkevich
This book was a childhood favorite of mine, and I suspect that my love of metafiction stems from this book. However, as an adult I find this book to be slightly sadistic. Grover BEGS you to not turn the page in order to keep from reaching the monster that will be found on the final page ((view spoiler)), building brick walls and such to thwart your progress. However, the fun is laughing at Grover as you ignore his ple ...more
Kim
Mar 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, holy-shit

‘Oh great,’ you’re thinking, ‘another witty endeavor where a Goodreader reflects back on a childhood favorite. Oh joy.'

Well, suck it up and deal.

A-hem… While rifling through the book section at my local Goodwill; I came across this little gem. Copyright 1980, Little Golden Books® edition complete with all our favorite characters outlining the back cover… The Tawny Scrawny Lion, Tootle, The Poky Little Puppy… that famous gold-foil binding (seriously, it says so… right on the back!) A little girl
Kirk
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"I . . . am the monster"
Grover Monster

This is probably one of the most profound statements in literary history to date. Today, there are hundreds of books, films and television shows which address man's incapacity to negotiate his own darkness. In many variations of the tale, we see the darkness within projected outward, cast onto another real or imagined character. Stephen King's Secret Window, even the latest season of Dexter reacquaints us with this age-old phenomenon, but never have they
Alex
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: postmodern dissertation writers; toddlers
Top 8 Most Shocking Twists In Literature

8. Wasp Factory by Iain Banks
7. We Have Always Lived In The Castle by Shirley jackson
6. The Castle by Kafka (Twist ending: the guy dies! No, not that guy. Kafka. Like mid-sentence.)
5. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie
4. Money: A Suicide Note by Martin Amis
3. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (Reader, you what? Why?)
2. Borges, especially most of The Aleph
1. The monster at the end of this book

A metafictional analysis of the crushing dichotomy betwee
Chris
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I bought this for my grandbaby, in the interest of getting him away from electronics and into real books.

We read it 4 times in the first sitting. Even then I had to cut him off so he could go home and get to bed....

#Win
Sophia Triad
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
If you want to see your little ones not being able to stop giggling every time you dare to turn a page; then you need to get this book.

Besides the beautiful words by Jon Stone, there are also these beautiful illustrations by Michael Smollin.
I have to say that if a book is good, it doesn't really matter when it was published. It can be popular and successful for ever.

This is our new favourite book.
Steven Stark
Jan 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book starts out great! I love Grover.

The problem is that Grover asks you to not turn any more pages, because of his belief that there is a monster at the end of the book. I decided to honor Grover's wish.

Oh, I turned a few pages. But when Grover took the time to tie all the pages together to discourage me from turning any more, well, I just didn't have the heart to go on. The little guy was really scared.

But I can't help but think.....are all monsters necessarily bad? You know it's funny -
Cyndi
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that I read hundreds of times to my kids. It is so much fun! But, as a Gran, what I really love is hearing my daughter read it to her little boy with the same voices and inflections I used when I read it to her. Generations of readers!😊
Courtney
Oct 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: postmodern scholars
We are the monster we fear.

We are also the monster that induces fear in others, sometimes by an act as simple as turning a page.

The reader is the author of meaning.

Simply existing and acting causes ripples in the realities of others which we are incapable of comprehending.

When you pick up a stone, the earth is lighter.

When you turn the page, you are one moment closer to your own death.

Not turning the page will not make the monster at the end of this book dissapear either, he will never go away
Brad
I do an ass kicking impersonation of Grover. Just ask my kids.

Actually, I can do any of the Muppets voiced by Frank Oz -- Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Sam the Eagle, Cookie Monster, Bert, even Yoda (which is my son's fave), but Grover is my best.

So when I was looking for a book for my little Scoutie a couple of months ago, something that I could hide away and save for just her and me, and I stumbled upon a little board book version of this Little Golden Book classic, I had to have it.

I'd forgotten all
Tiffany PSquared
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is the reason why Grover was and is my favorite muppet of all time!

Amanda
(4/23/09) I saw a quote from this book on my friend Misha's profile last night and a flood of good feelings came rushing over me. While I don't remember the specifics of the story (other than the surprise ending!), I do remember reading it a hundred thousand times. I remember the golden spine, a different texture than the rest of the hard cover. I remember, that maybe, years later, the dog chewed the corner. And I remember loving this book a lot.

Funny, as I think about it now, I wonder why I've
Josiah
Apr 25, 2009 rated it liked it
The creativity of author Jon Stone in this brief story is remarkable. It is one of the earliest picture books I remember fully appreciating for its content. The Monster at the End of This Book has been a staple of my life forever, I think!
I love this book.
Gio
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

This Book Is One Of The Few Hardcovers I Have In My Tiny House (Airstream)

It Has Sentimental Value As It Belonged To My Nephew

He Passed Away In 1999

I Keep This Copy To Remind Me Of His Laugh

Rand
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
You haven't really read this until you've read it over thirty times in three days to a six year old with severely violent tendencies due to autism.
Jackdaw
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Το διάβασα με την φωνή του Γκρόβερ 💗
Marie Antoinette
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What can i say? Classics never die! It's time to be a kid again.

The first time i read this book i was 8 years old, it was a birthday present from my parents, i was so happy because i loved Sesame Street, Who doesn't love S.S when they are kids right?

The most amazing thing about this book is that Grover is trying to stop us from reaching the end of the book, where he knows there is a monster and when we are kids we love to be scared because deep down, we know we are in no real danger.

So we tur
Mike
Jan 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with little ones
Shelves: kids
This is my youngest daughter’s “most favoritest book” and to be honest, it is a joy to read it with her… every night… until she finds another favoritest book.
R.J. Rodda
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Such fun to read. I loved this as a child and my kids enjoy this too. One you can read over and over.
Calista
Tonight my niece went old school. She wanted the old Golden Books. This was a cute fun little book. Don't turn the Page. Good for preschool age.
Shirley Revill
A firm favourite on my bookshelf. Loved by children both big and small. Recommended.
Jentry
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best!
Damian
Nov 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for your 2-4 year old. It gives your child permission to disobey important instructions from cute, loveable Grover (who could whoop Elmo in a Sesame street fight).

The book grabs your attention from the very first line, with Grover teasing your child's curiosity about a potential monster at the end of the book, all the while begging your child NOT to turn the page. And yet we encourage the child to do it anyway.

This "cute-for-now" moment will be stored in your child's memor
Scott Rhee
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I am impatiently anticipating the exciting moment when I can read this book aloud to my daughter. One of my favorites of the many Golden Books that I cherished as a kid, "The Monster at the End of this Book" by Jon Stone is a perfect, fun little story that taught me the joys of suspense and patience, as my mother used to gleefully take her time turning the pages, while I wiggled with joyous excitement until the last page which, of course (***spoiler alert!***), revealed that the monster was none ...more
Christina
Nov 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
This is absolutely my favorite book of all time. I really can't remember when I first read it so I just guessed. I have always loved Grover as long as I can remember. It is such a clever and fun book, and while it does kind of play on kids' little rebellious streaks (turning the pages when Grover is trying everything in his power to get the reader not to), it also incites kids to keep reading all the way to the end, to finish what you start, to foster a healthy sense of curiosity, and even to no ...more
Kristie
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this book to my children when they were young. It is very funny. The whole book is basically Grover trying to stop you from getting to the end of the book because there is a monster there and he is afraid of monsters. I remember my girls giggling every time they turned a page and ruined his plans to stop them. :)
Avis Black
This was the very first book I ever bought with my own money, me being the age of seven, and I remember the whole event as being almost frighteningly grown-up, to actually buy a book. I also annoyed the crap out of my parents by making them read it to me repeatedly. Loved it at the time.
Kimberly
This was already one of my most favorite books in the entire world.

Then I used it to close a monster-themed storytime (10/10/17).

When I finished the book, a rapt four-year-old boy in the audience yelled, "READ THAT AGAIN!"

<3 <3 <3

Best librarian moment ever.
Anastasia Riebs
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It feels a little bit goofy to rate a Little Golden Book as five stars, but The Monster at the End of this Book, written by Jon Stone is just that adorable. Grover Monster from Sesame Street is at his endearing best as he does his very best (despite great trepidation on his part) to protect the reader from the scary monster at the end of the book. Pages come alive as Grover hides inside the binding and behind torn pages when things get too scary for poor little Grover to handle by himself. Child ...more
Len Evans Jr
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my youngest sisters favorite book when she was little. She is 5 years younger than me, so when she was born I was fascinated by her and wanted to help my Mom take care of her. I must have read this book to her a 1000 times or more, she never got tired of it. Saw it on Amazon and just had to buy it. Awesome book!
Nada Adel
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's a children's book, I know, but a very good one actually.
Meg
Jan 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE IT! Another great kid's book. I can't even BEG my son into putting it down. If you need a hilarious book that will get your 3- to 7-year-old more interested in reading, Grover's got it made-to-order, as usual. You can find this book online for just a few bucks, and it might be the one that opens up the world for your little one. I still maintain that any kid who doesn't love to read just hasn't met the right book yet.

(Man, I miss those skits of Grover as a waiter... They always made MY life
C.
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my middle brother's, who is glad for me to keep it. Grover was a favourite of his and he has the teddy bear. I am sure we all three read "The Monster At The End Of This Book" because it is so expressive, it was meant to feel interactive. 1971 was decades before recent shows like “The Office” and the current “Modern Family” took themselves out of their stories and addressed dialogue to audiences.

It has been about thirty years but I recall that these pages grew spooky for me, in a deligh
midnightfaerie
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
One of my favorite books as a child and now the same for my children. A great idea for a plot with our favorite lovable characters. I do like the first book a little better than the second one, but still worth the read!
Pablo V
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Melki
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Both my boys LOVED this book. The youngest one would literally begin vibrating with excitement as that last page drew nearer and nearer.
Chinook
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Every time I read this and the line has anything to do with being scared, Maddie tells me “it’s okay, mommy” and pats my arm.
Steve Holden
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
The classic and best of all Golden Books! This certainly brings back fun memories of reading as a child. There were many Little Golden Books on my childhood shelf growing up, but this one easily received the most wear and tear. It was very funny, and I loved having it read aloud. As a reader, you're being urged to stop reading and turning pages, but yet you continue on through the book. It creates an interaction that is popular in a lot of current children's books. Just as I previously reviewed ...more
Dina
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
I grew up reading the second version of this book, Another Monster at the end of this Book, so getting to read the original was just so enjoyable. This is definitely a fun and exciting read for kids (and adults!), and it stars “lovable, furry old Grover” so what’s not to like? I also enjoyed how Grover interacts with the readers, as this really engages little minds and makes reading even more memorable.
Luisa Knight
I can't begin to express just how much of a favorite this was in my childhood!

My mom would do her best Grover voice and would mock struggle with each page turn (just as it should be read) and we'd giggle and laugh so much, throwing in our muscle to try and help with turning the pages.

Struggling to turn a page, you say? Well, I guess you'll just have to read it.

Ages: 3 -7

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of eve
Michael
One of those fun books that I recall from my younger days, though I'm not sure if I owned a copy or not.

Grover repeatedly warns readers to not keep reading for fear of The Monster at the End of This Book. As you turn pages, Grover tries multiple options to keep you from reading further, only to be met with less and less success until we get to the final pages.

If you haven't read this yet (it's all of 20 pages tops), I won't spoil anything. But I will say that this one is as delightful to read to
Liz
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'd love to do a book like this in storytime if I could perfect my Grover voice.
Chance Lee
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-it
Classic meta text.
  • Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
  • Miss Nelson Is Missing!
  • Leonardo, the Terrible Monster
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Little Engine That Could
  • Cookie Monster and the Cookie Tree (Sesame Street)
  • Oh My Oh My Oh Dinosaurs!
  • Grover and the Everything in the Whole Wide World Museum
  • The Saggy Baggy Elephant
  • Just Go to Bed
  • Socks for Supper
  • A Birthday for Cow!
  • Go Away, Big Green Monster!
  • Cars and Trucks and Things That Go (Giant Little Golden Book)
Stone graduated from Williams College in 1952. He received a master's degree from the Yale University School of Drama in 1955, at which time he joined a CBS training program. Before helping to create Sesame Street, he worked on the popular children's television show Captain Kangaroo for CBS. He also worked on several other Muppet projects before and during his time on Sesame Street, and was the au ...more
“I told you and told you there was nothing to be afraid of.” 13 likes