Start by marking “Duch domu Ashburnů” as Want to Read:
Duch domu Ashburnů

Duch domu Ashburnů

V domě Ashburnů se děje něco podivného. Prastará budova je již několik desítek let opředená tajemstvím. Jeho majitelka Edith nepouštěla dovnitř žádné cizí lidi a na veřejnosti se objevovala pouze zřídka. Po její smrti zdědí dům Adrienne, jediná Edithina žijící příbuzná, jejímž jediným majetkem jsou kufr, dvacet dolarů a kočka. Dědictví proto vnímá jako životní šanci, jak s ...more
Published 2019 by Fobos (first published July 20th 2016)

Tom Lewis
It had some tense moments, but for the most part it was corny, clichéd, and forgettable.
Darcia Helle
I wish I could share in the love the majority of reviewers have expressed for this book. The story just didn't work for me for a variety of reasons, which I'll do my best to clarify without spoilers.

First, I think it's important to note that this is far more of an 'undead' theme than a haunted house or ghost story. I love ghost stories, but zombies and the undead don't interest me. Had the title and description better reflected the content, I wouldn't have read the book at all.

I felt the pace w
Amitaf0208
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. enjoyable although at times, the main characters was a bit naive. love the ending.
Shaina
Definitely one of my favorites that Darcy Coates has written. This one was creepy there for a bit. I wanted to shout at Adrienne and tell her what to do. But no. None of us book people EVER do that. :-/
Yes. So I enjoyed this one a lot.

Edit: I also want to add that this author, so far in my reading just writes good ghost stories. Nothing psychological, no gore fest, just good ghost stories like I used to hear when I was younger.
Peter
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I just finished the book and thought it an extremely entertaining and eerie read. Adrienne inherits Ashburn House from her great-aunt she only met as a small child (the opening paragraphs of the novel). But the house has a bad reputation. The family it once owned it was murdered in a gruesome way. No murderer was ever arrested. Why are no mirrors in the house? An what are those strange clicking noises at the window and floors about? From the middle of the book on the action got fast paced. Somet ...more
Daniela
This one was not for me. It was brilliantly written, it was addictive in the best way possible, but the story was "meh". I didn't like it and by 40% of the book I pretty much knew how it would unfold... and I was right. This is the second Darcy Coates novel I read and it won't be the last because I love her style, I just prefer something along the lines of Blackwood House better... I'll try Gillespie next and see what happens, but it's all a matter of preference. The book is good and you should ...more
Peter
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edith Ashburn lives in a big mansion all by herself. Her family was slaughter,when she was about eight years old. The towns folk think that Edith is an odd duck. She would come into town everyday, purchase a newspaper, and any supplies that she would need. Edith would never have guests at her house or allow people on her property. After Edith pass away, there was only one living relative that she could leave Ashburn House to. Adrienne had never met her aunt Edith but Ashburn House was hers now. ...more
Marie
I enjoyed this spooky haunted house tale by author, Darcy Coates. It was creepy and mysterious, but not to the point of being spooked out of my skin. Still it kept moving right along and I am giving it 5* for keeping me entertained.
Susan
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-mm, ghosts

This was super scary! There aren’t a lot of writers who can really scare me these days. But Darcy Coates really knows how to write scary edge of your seat scenes.

Adrienne is a young woman who moves into Ashburn house. The house her very distant aunt Edith left to her. Adrienne never met Edith, but she’s grateful she has a place to live. Her freelance writing business isn’t paying that much and she desperately needed a place to stay. So what if Ashburn house is a bit isolated and is supp
Dawn
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic, paranormal
I loved this! Cool ghost tale. Could have read in a sitting had I had the time. I will definitely be reading more by Darcy Coates
Hezekiah
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blows away the first two in terms of sheer creepiness.

This is the third in Ms. Coates line of gothic haunted house books. I utterly adored the first one , however the second left me a little cold with it romantic subplot. This time however, the book is just about perfect.

As I have said before, the "scary level" of the book is always in the mind of the beholder. However I would say this book blows away both "Gillespie House" and "Blackwood House" in terms of sheer creepiness. Additionally it gets
Zainab
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark
I liked this book. Loved it actually but I feel like the first half was a bit stretched out. I often had a strong urge to skip a few pages but by the end I couldn't stop reading! Amazingly written and has got a pretty awesome mystery so yeah,highly recommended for somebody who loves horror and mystery.
Nicolette Molina
Scary!

What a spooky book! I really didn't expect to get such a fright from a book but it happened! This would make a great movie some day !
Robin Bonne
Stewart Sternberg
An inherited haunted mansion, cryptic instructions to avoid mirrors and to keep a candle lit in the attic on Friday nights. It must be October, I'm reading ghost stories. This one isn't awful, it's not great, but it kept me interested, and I found it fun. The climax moves at a thundering pace.
Lori Burk
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haunting of Ashburn House

I really liked this book. First the main character seemed too scared to live in this house but she finally got a backbone and figured out what she needed to do. I would recommend this book to people who really like creepy ghosts.
Tammy
Jul 07, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The story was stagnant, the author went into great detail about mundane and irrelevant things such as every step to making tea several times a day, Adrienne started to become irritating because everyday she thought about the same things, and the words the author chose were strange. I felt like a find and replace thesaurus was overused. Many times I had to reread paragraphs because they didn’t make sense.

The word “groan” is used 44 times....*groan*. That’s a great example of the repetitiveness.
Cheryl
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh gee ...... this is one seriously creepy tome!!
I have read nearly all of Darcy's books and this one romps home as the best. It's exactly how I love my haunted house stories ..... scary enough to make you poop your panties. Lol.
Extremely well written with a lot of character information, the tension factor is woven insidiously from the first page. In fact it was SO scary I could only read a few pages at a time until I was about three quarters into the book. (My fault - Should NOT have read at n
Stacey
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
at first this book spooked me, I waited with a thumping heart beat for that startling something- suddenly- jumps- out- at- you moment. well, when the moment came, it was so anticlimactic that I wish there was some kind of jumping. this book was creepy, for sure, but oh sooo painfully slow... and when things FINALLY started moving it was just so out there and it just became silly to me. I actually got irritated that I wasted my time reading it. I wanted to read her other books, but after this one ...more
Fatimah Gunn
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GREAT READ!!!!

This is definitely one of my favorite Darcy Coates books. I really liked the storyline and when you find out what really is happening, it is totally unexpected. The author did a great job pulling you into the story and I really enjoyed all the characters. Can't wait for the next book!
DoodlePanda
I found this to be a good "haunted house" story, and the audio was done well. A few twists and turns along the way and I liked the ending :)
Vanessa Samuel
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this which was unexpected, because generally I find that many horror novels out there aren't very good. This is an exception.
Deborah Stone
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ghoulish but Great!

This novel was a scary, gruesome story, but if you persevere you are in for a real treat. When the heroine, Adrienne, is left a big, old mansion by her somewhat eccentric great-aunt, she only remembers meeting once when she was four years old. She comes to live in a house filled with creepy family portraits and dusty antique furniture. She knows virtually nothing about this women or her 'family' but knows there is something very disturbing about all this.

She brings her cat 'Wo
Jessica
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was much better than I thought it was going to be. I started to read it months ago and couldn’t get into it. I’m really glad that I finally finished it.

The beginning was a bit slow, but it did get better. There were some really intense parts and the book had a lot of surprises in it. It creeped me out quite a bit. One of the better horror books I’ve read recently.

Only thing is why would you go to town to do research on an old house that still had everything from the original occupant?
Kirstie
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe 2.5 just because I like the cat, Wolfgang. Hah!
Montana Cefalu
Sara
This was actually a pretty good haunted house story that I got for a discount on Kindle. I enjoyed it; I appreciated that fact that the main character was brave and faced the house's demons. And made friends doing it! Nice little twist at the end, too.

Yes, that wasn't much of a review. In a nutshell, a young lady inherits a big house. I think it's England, there was talk of boots instead of trunks and being in hospital, stuff like that. The house is, of course, haunted. She has. . .quite a time.
Boundless Book Reviews
I've read many books by Darcy Coates, but this one has been my favorite so far. It wasn't as predictable and it was a little more on the scary and mysterious side.

Adrienne and her cat move into Ashburn house after her mother's death. She was given the mansion by an aunt she never knew. She learns of this house when her situation is dire and she has little choice but to take this house she has been given. Many rumors about the house and her family are told to her by townspeople, but she stays on
Kathryn
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Improved writing style. Could have had more characters. Was slow in the beginning and almost put it down but the style kept me going. Much more depth than her other books. Some scary scenes not really scary but maybe it's my age.
Around the Year i...: The Haunting of Ashburn House, by Darcy Coates 2 21 Oct 01, 2018 04:25PM

• The Occupant (Afterlife Investigations, #3)
  • Middlebury Sanitarium (Moving In #3)
  • Brodmaw Bay
  • The Haunting Season
  • Haunted
  • Sineater
  • The Body at Auercliff
Darcy is the USA Today Bestselling author of Hunted, The Haunting of Ashburn House, Craven Manor, and more than a dozen horror and suspense titles.

She lives on the Central Coast of Australia with her family, cats, and a garden full of herbs and vegetables.

Darcy loves forests, especially old-growth forests where the trees dwarf anyone who steps between them. Wherever she lives, she tries to have a
“This is a house that hasn’t seen a new soul in half a century. The walls are saturated with her; the floorboards are worn down from her feet; the very air continues to carry her presence after her death.” 2 likes
“They weren’t all that different from her—teenagers who had found themselves classified as adults by virtue of too many birthdays and who were trying to fumble and bluff their way through the world without anyone realising how thoroughly underqualified they were.” 2 likes