Start by marking “Duch domu Ashburnů” as Want to Read:
Duch domu Ashburnů

Duch domu Ashburnů

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  9,171 ratings  ·  1,151 reviews
V domě Ashburnů se děje něco podivného. Prastará budova je již několik desítek let opředená tajemstvím. Jeho majitelka Edith nepouštěla dovnitř žádné cizí lidi a na veřejnosti se objevovala pouze zřídka. Po její smrti zdědí dům Adrienne, jediná Edithina žijící příbuzná, jejímž jediným majetkem jsou kufr, dvacet dolarů a kočka. Dědictví proto vnímá jako životní šanci, jak s ...more
Published 2019 by Fobos (first published July 20th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Duch domu Ashburnů, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Amylane
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  9,171 ratings  ·  1,151 reviews

Start your review of Duch domu Ashburnů
Kat
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
cute, cozy, and enjoyable. nothing super special, but i’d definitely read more from this author :)
Chloe
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars*
Carol
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hey horror lovers, have you seen the commercial with four teens running around scared in the dark and each suggests a place to hide like the basement of a creepy house, etc., another says, why can't we just leave in the running car and they ultimately decide to hide in an open garage filled with a zillion sharp instruments, well....

A near destitute Adrienne who recently inherited a big ole house from an unknown Great Aunt Edith makes some really idiotic decisions herein, but I really enjoyed th

Tom Lewis
It had some tense moments, but for the most part it was corny, clichéd, and forgettable.
Darcia Helle
I wish I could share in the love the majority of reviewers have expressed for this book. The story just didn't work for me for a variety of reasons, which I'll do my best to clarify without spoilers.

First, I think it's important to note that this is far more of an 'undead' theme than a haunted house or ghost story. I love ghost stories, but zombies and the undead don't interest me. Had the title and description better reflected the content, I wouldn't have read the book at all.

I felt the pace w
Julie
The Haunting of Ashburn House by Darcy Coates is a 2016 publication.

Effective and Entertaining

Ashburn House has enjoyed a sinister reputation for nearly a century. When the current owner of the old house dies, her sole heir, Adrienne, inherits the house.

Adrienne is in no position to turn down her inheritance. She has twenty dollars to her name, one suitcase, and her cat. But, holding on to the legendary house becomes a living nightmare when she learns about the Ashburn's horrifying history, an
Peter
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I just finished the book and thought it an extremely entertaining and eerie read. Adrienne inherits Ashburn House from her great-aunt she only met as a small child (the opening paragraphs of the novel). But the house has a bad reputation. The family it once owned it was murdered in a gruesome way. No murderer was ever arrested. Why are no mirrors in the house? An what are those strange clicking noises at the window and floors about? From the middle of the book on the action got fast paced. Somet ...more
Amitaf0208
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. enjoyable although at times, the main characters was a bit naive. love the ending.
Shaina
Definitely one of my favorites that Darcy Coates has written. This one was creepy there for a bit. I wanted to shout at Adrienne and tell her what to do. But no. None of us book people EVER do that. :-/
Yes. So I enjoyed this one a lot.

Edit: I also want to add that this author, so far in my reading just writes good ghost stories. Nothing psychological, no gore fest, just good ghost stories like I used to hear when I was younger.
Daniela
This one was not for me. It was brilliantly written, it was addictive in the best way possible, but the story was "meh". I didn't like it and by 40% of the book I pretty much knew how it would unfold... and I was right. This is the second Darcy Coates novel I read and it won't be the last because I love her style, I just prefer something along the lines of Blackwood House better... I'll try Gillespie next and see what happens, but it's all a matter of preference. The book is good and you should ...more
Susan
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghosts, non-mm
Re-read October 2019
Perfect for October.

--------------------------

This was creepy. There aren’t a lot of writers who can really scare me these days. But Darcy Coates really knows how to write scary edge of your seat scenes.

Adrienne is a young woman who moves into Ashburn house. The house her very distant aunt Edith left to her. Adrienne never met Edith, but she’s grateful she has a place to live. Her freelance writing business isn’t paying that much and she desperately needed a place to
Franzi
4.5 Stars

Really enjoyable and pretty scary at times. The first hald felt a bit drawn out, but since I liked the main character I also enjoyed this half to getting to know her better. Also I personally loved the ending.
Marie
I enjoyed this spooky haunted house tale by author, Darcy Coates. It was creepy and mysterious, but not to the point of being spooked out of my skin. Still it kept moving right along and I am giving it 5* for keeping me entertained.
Peter
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edith Ashburn lives in a big mansion all by herself. Her family was slaughter,when she was about eight years old. The towns folk think that Edith is an odd duck. She would come into town everyday, purchase a newspaper, and any supplies that she would need. Edith would never have guests at her house or allow people on her property. After Edith pass away, there was only one living relative that she could leave Ashburn House to. Adrienne had never met her aunt Edith but Ashburn House was hers now. ...more
Josh
The Haunting of Ashburn House is an 'ok' ghost story which maintains an consistent level of suspense and heightened sense of oncoming dread yet falls down with a corny ending which doesn't fit the initial tone of the book.
Hezekiah
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blows away the first two in terms of sheer creepiness.

This is the third in Ms. Coates line of gothic haunted house books. I utterly adored the first one , however the second left me a little cold with it romantic subplot. This time however, the book is just about perfect.

As I have said before, the "scary level" of the book is always in the mind of the beholder. However I would say this book blows away both "Gillespie House" and "Blackwood House" in terms of sheer creepiness. Additionally it gets
Tammy
The story was stagnant, the author went into great detail about mundane and irrelevant things such as every step to making tea several times a day, Adrienne started to become irritating because everyday she thought about the same things, and the words the author chose were strange. I felt like a find and replace thesaurus was overused. Many times I had to reread paragraphs because they didn’t make sense.

The word “groan” is used 44 times....*groan*. That’s a great example of the repetitiveness.
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
“This is a house that hasn’t seen a new soul in half a century.”

Ashburn?

While this was a very entertaining story, it wasn’t quite what I needed in a horror.

Initially the book starts off with a few tense scenes that showed great promise. But after the third time that nothing happens it was just so disappointing.
In the end when something does happen it’s so worn-out and anticlimactic that I actually laughed at the silliness of it all.

I’ll try Coates again at a later stage, but I will not be anticipating
Dawn
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, gothic
I loved this! Cool ghost tale. Could have read in a sitting had I had the time. I will definitely be reading more by Darcy Coates
Zainab
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark
I liked this book. Loved it actually but I feel like the first half was a bit stretched out. I often had a strong urge to skip a few pages but by the end I couldn't stop reading! Amazingly written and has got a pretty awesome mystery so yeah,highly recommended for somebody who loves horror and mystery.
Nicolette Molina
Scary!

What a spooky book! I really didn't expect to get such a fright from a book but it happened! This would make a great movie some day !
Stewart Sternberg
An inherited haunted mansion, cryptic instructions to avoid mirrors and to keep a candle lit in the attic on Friday nights. It must be October, I'm reading ghost stories. This one isn't awful, it's not great, but it kept me interested, and I found it fun. The climax moves at a thundering pace.
Saurabh
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very chilling and very exciting...my hairs were erect throughout the book. And I missed a night's sleep because of it. That's all I want from a horror novel.

It's story is a classic one... filled with extremely relatable protagonist and an awaited twist in the end...and yes..an adorable fluffy lump of a Cat.
Heather (The Sassy Book Geek)
I was expecting this to be good but holy crap did this blow me away! I'm super excited to read EVERYTHING Darcy Coates has written now!

Review To Come
Robin Bonne
Ghoul Von Horror
THIS BOOK HAS SPOILERS....ALSO IT WAS A STUPID BOOK

This ghost story promised me a spooky tale about a woman that is inherited a house (such an original idea in a ghost story) and has nowhere else to go because she lost her home once her mother died (wasn't this Eleanor Vance story from The Haunting of Hill House from Shirley Jackson?), Okay continuing on she moves to the creepy house on the hill in the woods. I'll never understand the story that tells of someone moving to a house they have never
{ U n s o l v e d M y s t e r y }

This was not my favorite read from Darcy Coates.
I recommend reading The Haunting of Blackwood House instead.
Barbara Powell
Part gory and partly kinda ridiculous. This had potential to be super scary, but it missed the mark in my opinion. There were a couple parts that were actually creepy and others that had me rolling my eyes. It’s worth the read because it’s not super long, but it’s not super great either.
Lynette
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Cheryl
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh gee ...... this is one seriously creepy tome!!
I have read nearly all of Darcy's books and this one romps home as the best. It's exactly how I love my haunted house stories ..... scary enough to make you poop your panties. Lol.
Extremely well written with a lot of character information, the tension factor is woven insidiously from the first page. In fact it was SO scary I could only read a few pages at a time until I was about three quarters into the book. (My fault - Should NOT have read at n

• Callie (The Bayou Hauntings #1)
  • Forgotten Men (The Bayou Hauntings #2)
  • The Haunting of Bechdel Mansion (A Riveting Haunted House Mystery Series Book 1)
  • Home Before Dark
  • Chasing Ghosts (The Quentin Strange Mysteries, #1)
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Billy Whistler
  • The Nursery (The Bayou Hauntings Book 3)
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • The Experiments (The Bayou Hauntings #5)
  • The Haunting Of Winchester Mansion (The Haunting Of Winchester Mansion, #0)
  • Die Again (The Bayou Hauntings #6)
  • The Tale of Halcyon Crane
  • Don't Look Back
  • Clown in a Cornfield
  • The Haunting of Bell Mansion (A Riveting Haunted House Mystery Series Book 6)
  • The Haunting of Lannister Hall
  • The Curse of the House on Cypress Lane (A Riveting Haunted House Mystery Book 3)
Darcy is the USA Today Bestselling author of Hunted, The Haunting of Ashburn House, Craven Manor, and more than a dozen horror and suspense titles.

She lives on the Central Coast of Australia with her family, cats, and a garden full of herbs and vegetables.

Darcy loves forests, especially old-growth forests where the trees dwarf anyone who steps between them. Wherever she lives, she tries to have a

Articles featuring this book

If you want a real scare, set aside your beloved horror classics—you know what darkness lurks within their pages, what...
“The massive grey tabby turned his sea-green eyes towards her and projected abject misery in the way only cats are capable of.” 4 likes
“This is a house that hasn’t seen a new soul in half a century. The walls are saturated with her; the floorboards are worn down from her feet; the very air continues to carry her presence after her death.” 4 likes