Start by marking “The Lying Room” as Want to Read:
The Lying Room

The Lying Room

*** THE BRAND NEW STANDALONE NOVEL FROM THE MASTER OF PSYCHOLOGICAL SUSPENSE ***

Neve Connolly looks down at a murdered man.
She doesn't call the police.

‘You know, it’s funny,’ Detective Inspector Hitching said. ‘Whoever I see, they keep saying, talk to Neve Connolly, she’ll know. She’s the one people talk to, she’s the one people confide in.’
A trusted colleague and friend.
Published October 3rd 2019 by Simon & Schuster UK (first published October 1st 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Lying Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lying Room

Paromjit
The authors behind Nicci French have written a terrific twisted standalone psychological thriller that so aptly illustrates just what a tangled web we weave when first we start to deceive. Neve Connolly is a well liked wife and mother in her forties, working at a publisher she and her friends had helped to establish. She has been married to Fletcher for twenty years, he is a depressed illustrator, their relationship has become stale, she has 3 children, including the troubled Mabel with her prob ...more
Peter
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Subversion
The Lying Room is a compelling thriller full of suspense and clever complicity to keep you guessing who the killer is and how the main suspect, although innocent, navigates her own guilty situation. Neve Connolly is in her forties, a wife and mother with three children. The last number of years have been a strain, with various family problems and a depressed husband. When events forged the prospect for Neve to embark on an affair with her new boss Saul Stevenson, she took the step and
Carolyn
This stand alone murder mystery from the writing duo Nicci French was an entertaining read. At times darkly funny, sometimes almost farcical, it is the tale of a middle age married woman, Neve Connolly, who is summoned to the London flat of her lover, Saul, by a text, only to find him horribly murdered. To avoid being framed and to save her marriage she tries to cover up her affair but gradually finds herself telling more and more lies to the police, her family, her friends, even Saul's wife. As ...more
Ceecee
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 - 5 stars
I have read many Nicci French books over the years and always enjoy them and this one is a very twisty, fast paced story. The central character is mother of three Neve who is married to Fletcher and the unfolding plot shows how her life implodes following the murder of her lover and boss Saul Stevenson. I like the way their meeting and ensuing friendship is described as they seem to dazzle each other. Neve is a fantastic character, she’s resourceful, caring, loving,and fiercely prote
Mandy White
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicci French is a name I have heard and seen many times but never picked up. Until now. The Lying Room is the first book by this writing team for me but certainly will not be my last if this is anything to go by. What a fun, fast story that was. Full of twists and turns I read this in a day, I honestly could not get enough and I was dying to know how it was going to end.

Neve has a secret. She is married to Fletcher and has 3 kids of varying ages. She has a great job that she has recently gone p
Gary
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this stand alone novel from duo Nicci French, who also write the successful 'Frieda Klein' series.
The lead character Neve Connolly is a popular person, wife, caring mother and a friend to go to. She feels trapped in her marriage to Fletcher and is experiencing problems with her teenage daughter Mabel. When Neve starts an affair with a married colleague, she feels revitalised and happiness is back in her life. Her life is shattered and thrown into turmoil when on visiting her lover she
Mark
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Difficult!
All through the book, which is based on a married woman finding her secret lover murdered when she goes to meet him at his flat and the repercussions of this on her, her family and her lovers family, all I could think was ‘but this is based in Holborn in Central London, the place is riddled with cctv and yet the police haven’t mentioned it and the myriad of people ( for various reasons ) who go to the flat before, during and after the murder are not perturbed by it, in fact never menti
Louise Wilson
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never has been married to Fletcher for twenty years. But she's also been having an affair with her boss. She gets a text message to meet him at his Covent Garden flat, but when she gets there, hes dead. His heads been caven in. In a blind panic, she scrubbed a the flat clean to erase any trace of her being there. Going out of her mind with worry, Neve decides to try and find out herself who had murdered Saul.

The Lying Room is a cleverly written psychological thriller. Everything in the book is p
Liz Barnsley
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A perfectly pitched psychological thriller here from Nicci French, with very strong domestic drama elements and a twisty as you like storyline that is immediately involving.

I read this in one sitting, so caught up in the life of cleverly written main protagonist Neve, who faced with the dead body of her lover tries to extricate herself from a dangerous situation..

An ever more tangled web is woven as Neve tries to protect her family and herself, this is a highly engaging and extraordinarily addic
Polly
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicci French books are just reliably great, aren't they? The authors are masters of twists, turns, and hooks, with believable, flawed, human characters and experts in adding enough detail to make every scenario feel totally real.

This book takes the reader on a journey of growing paranoia, fuelled by circumstance and exacerbated by a lack of sleep and vanishing trust. The claustrophobia of having people constantly around and a growing lack of personal space makes it a really engaging story to fo
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
There was a point in this read (no spoilers here) when I was chilled to the bone, the unthinkable was looking like the answer... I had to stop and wait a day or two to pick the book back up ... more twists but my fear was unfounded ... a deliciously wicked red herring... this is such a twisty read.
Heidi
Let me begin by saying that I have been a huge Nicci French fan ever since reading THE MEMORY GAME over twenty years ago, and I have read each and every book by this fantastic writer duo as soon as they came out ever since. You can therefore imagine my delight when I received an ARC of their latest novel THE LYING ROOM from Netgalley! And I am even more delighted to say that it was another five star read for me!

To truly appreciate Nicci French novels you must know that these are slow burning, ch
ReadandRated
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Stars from me!

I found The Lying Room to be a highly engaging, fast paced read that I absolutely raced through as I just kept on wanting to know what happened next!

Central character, Neve, is one of those perfect people who everyone adores yet is utterly unassuming and apparently unaware of her magnetism. Friends, colleagues, even strangers are seemingly drawn to this calm, warm, efficient woman who busily spends her life making things right for others.

She treads carefully around the feelings o
Zainab
I've only ever read one book (before this one) by Nicci French and it easily made its way to my 'all time favourites' list.
This book makes me want to read each and every book written by them.
From the characters to the mystery to the story- just everything- was amazing! It had me hooked. Certainly one of the best mystery books of 2019.
I don't want to give too much by reviewing in detail so you are going to have to buy this when it comes out and, well, enjoy it.
The only downside is that there are
Gary
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Cats’ Mother
I’ve read several books by successful husband & wife writing duo Nicci French, and enjoyed some more than others, but am coming to the conclusion that while they write clever twisty tension-filled mysteries, I don’t enjoy the characters they create and I probably won’t seek out any more. I’ve read a bit too much in this genre in the last year which doesn’t help either.

Neve Connolly is a married graphic designer in her forties, who has injected some unexpected excitement into her stressful li
Fictionophile
For my complete review of "The Lying Room" visit: https://fictionophile.com/2019/09/29/...

What a roller coaster of a novel! Fast-paced, the novel depicts a woman on the edge. Neve's panic, tension and stress were palpable. You find yourself reading with a lump in your throat waiting for the axe to fall...   Lies, compounded by more lies... so many that she barely remembers what the truth is herself. Unable to sleep, eat, or function, she finds herself trying to act 'normally' with a house full o
Ruthy lavin
I didn’t give up, but this wasn’t the most riveting book I’ve read recently.... a little lacklustre and has scope to be so much better.
Disappointing.
2 stars.
Ceecee
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 - 5 stars
Jeanniehay64
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic read with lots of twists and turns which had me page turning until it’s nail biting ending.

Neve Connelly is a wife, mother and friend to many. She feels trapped in her marriage to Fletcher and her teenage daughter Mabel is troubled and causing problems for both her parents.

Neve embarks on a affair with a married colleague which seems to give her the excitement and happiness she has been missing.

When events overtake her she finds the discovery of her colleagues murdered bod
Sheri
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Neve Connolly finds the murdered body of a man - a man she knows, in a place where Neve shouldn’t be - her first instinct is to call the police.

Her second, quickly overriding it, is to protect herself and her family.

What Neve decides to do next will lead her into what can only - cliches notwithstanding - be described as a tangled web of deceit. Can she hold her nerve?

Life at home is far from straightforward. Troubled teenage daughter Mabel is causing her parents no end of grief (possibly
peggy
What happens when you tell a lie? Eventually you will get found out. Now imagine you have a lie and you have involved your friends and family in your lie. They have sworn never to tell. Yes we know what is going to happen. Once I started reading I could not put this book down. Tension, suspense and a dinner party from hell. This is one psychological thriller par excellence, a hell of a read no A MUST READ I LOVED IT. An easy five stars and so Highly Recommended.
I would like to thank the author,
Sharah McConville
I have read every book written by writing team Nicci French. I love their style of writing and this new book was exactly what I hoping for. Thanks to Simon & Schuster for my ARC.
Jannelies
In hindsight, I changed my rating from 5 stars to 4. I don't do this often, but I read parts of the book again before writing my review, and I found out what kept nagging me.
Ok, it is a great psychological thriller. It is the kind of book you want to read in one sitting. However, what was nagging at me was the drinking. The continuous drinking.
Don't get me wrong. I do like a glass of wine with dinner and I do like a drink when chatting with friends too. I have nothing against alcohol - in modera
Susan Hampson
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
When Neve's married life and bringing up three children turn from a bed of roses into just the thorny reality side of life she seeks the comfort of her boss and begins an affair with him. When she receives a text asking her to go to him at a flat he owns she takes off to meet him there. When she gets there her lover has been murdered and the first thing on her mind is to cover up any involvement with him.
With all traces of her removed, she goes home only to waken in the night knowing that she h
Hazel
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
My thanks to NetGalley and publisher Simon and Shuster UK for the ARC.
I really am in two minds about this book. On the one hand I did just have to keep reading just to find out where the story was going; on the other, well, there is just so much background musings from the main character that I found myself thinking "please, just get on with it".
Neve is her household's provider; her husband works from home but there doesn't seem to be any money coming in from him. Between her work, her children
Debbie
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I flew through this book in a day. Neve Connolly has a beautiful family, but it is clear from the start she has issues with her daughter. As the story goes along, it is clear they are not the only issues in this family. There is a death, of someone Neve works with. Now, this is where things get interesting. The front cover of my book states that Neve finds a 'murdered man', but she doesn't call the police, this is true. I cannot go into too much detail about this, as I know it will result in spo ...more
Kendall
This was my first thriller by Nicci French and can definitely see why she has a huge fan base!

This is fun murder/mystery that is full of deceit, drinking, infidelity, and unreliable characters.

I felt that this book was an interesting read and loved the chase between Neve and the detective! Talk about a crazy cat and mouse game! I think that those that are fans of this author will definitely love this one.

My only issues with this one was the constant topic of drinking and it was a tad bit long
Karen Whittard
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well this is a really great addition to the Nicci French books. It makes you question everything that has come before and it is one not to miss if you love this series.
Michael Cattigan
Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this novel from the publisher, Simon and Schuster, via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I am new to this NetGalley and ARC business. A newbie, a greenback, a novice. I’ve received perhaps half a dozen ARCs in total, which is not many. Principally this is because I’ve not requested them at times when I am busy because I am trying to be fair to the publishers. But the Summer vacation arrived and I requested a few from NetGalley. And The Lying Room was one
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Note: (Nicci Gerrard and Sean French also write separately.)

Nicci Gerrard was born in June 1958 in Worcestershire. After graduating with a first class honours degree in English Literature from Oxford University, she began her first job, working with emotionally disturbed children in Sheffield. In that same year she married journalist Colin Hughes.

In the early eighties she taught English Literature