Start by marking “There Is No Alternative: Why Margaret Thatcher Matters” as Want to Read:
There Is No Alternative: Why Margaret Thatcher Matters

There Is No Alternative: Why Margaret Thatcher Matters

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  230 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Great Britain in the 1970s appeared to be in terminal decline—ungovernable, an economic train wreck, and rapidly headed for global irrelevance. Three decades later, it is the richest and most influential country in Europe, and Margaret Thatcher is the reason. The preternaturally determined Thatcher rose from nothing, seized control of Britain’s Conservative party, and to
Published September 30th 2008 by Basic Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about There Is No Alternative, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Is No Alternative

Aaron
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Tender-hearted liberal that I am, it is only with great trepidation and a deep sense of irony that I picked up and perused a copy of Claire Berlinsky's book, 'There is No Alternative', one day at Barnes & Noble.

Most other readers who have spent any time in the 'Current Affairs' section of that store will appreciate that I had good reason to be hesitant: this is the place where those choleric diatribes from the Glen Becks and Ann Coulters of the world go to await purchase at the hands of the
Jeffrey
Claire Berlinski has written one of the finest biographies of 2008. There Is No Alternative is a wonderfully written account of Margaret Thatcher and her policies. The sub-title – Why Margaret Thatcher Matters, give the clue as to the tone. Ms. Berlinski covers not just the facts of history, but delves into the meaning and political outcomes to those policies.

First off, the book is superbly written. Berlinski manages to liven up economics and labor talk that most authors get lost in the minuti
Bojan Tunguz
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Margaret Thatcher is one of the most iconic political figures of the 20th century. She was the first female head of government, and to this day all strong female politicians inevitably invoke the comparison with her. However, her fame and achievements go well beyond just being a symbolic first in women's ascension in public and professional life. The impact that she had on both the British domestic policy and the international relations at the end of Cold War are monumental and will be hard to e ...more
John
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're somewhat knowledgeable on Thatcher and British politics in general, THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE might strike you as lightweight and rather unnecessary. But, for an American like me whose only real knowledge of Thatcher was that Meryl Streep played her in THE IRON LADY, this book serves as a wonderful, easy-to-understand introduction to one of the most pivotal women in history.
Reading this book gave me a good understanding as to why she is so adored by some and reviled by others. Berlinski
Vibeke
Jan 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
An unconventional biography. If you want details about Margaret Thatcher's life, look elsewhere. If you want to understand how her political strategies influenced the world during her years as prime minister and how they continue to influence us today, read this book. If you don't want to understand that, read this anyway. Berlinski's writing is fresh and personal and often funny.
Phil Costa
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm not well informed enough to have strong opinions about Thatcher but I thoroughly enjoyed this unconventional book. The author definitely comes down on the positive side while still leveling a number of criticisms and pointing out some of Thatcher's weaknesses. But what won me over was her unconventional humor and style -- a must if I'm going to get through a book of history.
Douglas
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book! The author is clearly in the Thatcher camp and demonstrates what Thatcher's objectives and methods were. It changes the way you think about life and economics and politics.
Dimitrios Malegkos
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nice book, you can get many info how Ms Maggie was thinking, her life and her political actions. Recommended
Katie Lemay
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Claire Berlinski does an excellent job framing Thatcher's character from a conservative viewpoint without failing to address her weaknesses. The overarching theme of the book is, as the title says, why Thatcher matters and how she will live on in history.
Kelly-Louise
Dec 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I am so glad I read this book! I tend to avoid biographies, thinking they will be long and dry. This was very readable and, in parts, even funny. The author interviewed both friend and foe, so we see Thatcher warts and all.

A tidbit of information that I learned: She received the nickname "The Iron Lady" -- which is now of course seen as a compliment -- from the state-controlled Soviet press, who wanted to damage her, to paint her as cold and heartless. Also, a British journalist once described
Gerard  Perry
Dec 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
One of the best books about Thatcherism and Thatcher that I've read. Even though Berlinski is supportive of the revolutionary changes she instituted throughout the British economy and culture-and doesn't hesitate to critique the failings of her opponents, e.g. Arthur Scargill, the rigidly Communist, Moscow apparatchik in charge of the British mineworkers, Neil Kinnock, the ineffectual leader of the Labor Party-she still recognizes the flaws of Thatcher/Tory rule. For example, the blind spot That ...more
Cris
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bios
Probably the most well-written political biography for casual readers I have ever read. Kudos to Claire Berlinski for writing a "glasnost" narrative with many transcripts of the interviews she conducted, and with copies of original state documents that is both visually and aurally informative AND deeply analytical. This book was well planned to answer questions from people who grew up in post-cold war west. I would have ignored the question of how Thatcher used her femininity had I written this ...more
Tortla
Informative and amusing. I particularly enjoyed the footnotes and whatnot which explained Britishisms. And the overall sense of humor with which Berlinski wrote this. Her bias as a narrator was made very obvious, as part of the whole format of the book (interspersed with transcripts of the interviews used to gather the information for the book's main narrative). Mixing up the narrative with quotations and excerpts of interviews and other such documents kept it interesting, as did Berlinski's sen ...more
Steve.  g
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Went to see the Mel Streep movie The Iron Lady the other day and thought it was awful...she was good, mind, but the story was a jumble of dotty old lady flashbacks with no discernable narrative. It didnt even hint at WHY it was called the Iron lady. It might as well have been the Ironing lady for all the housework she was doing.
Remedy this with a couple of books on the subject 1, The President, the Pope and the Prime Minister by J O'Sullivan (to be fair this one take a broader look at the face o
Geoffrey Hazelton
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great description of the ills of Socialism broadly defined as "social justice or equity"as the goal, forced redistribution of wealth as method, and the State as the agent. This is especially relevant in today's climate of militant public unions and the current influence of the far left on the Democratic Party. When Margaret Thatcher came to power the British were further down the road to Socialism than the USA is today and this book describes how Thatcher reversed that direction with a strong ...more
Amy Sawyer
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable read. I loved how Ms. Berlinski provided multiple views to events and issues addressed in the book; you almost feel as though you are being given a tour guide of important as they happen.
Another feature I must praise is the author's honesty. It is rare to find an author who is honest with their readers as to when they are presenting their own opinion and does not atempt to mask a subjective opinion as fact or insert it as the opinion of the time, whether as dissenting or not.
Ms.
Naile Berna
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book about a woman I admire, written by another woman I admire.

I did not want this book to end (that rarely happens with biographies). I kept finding myself researching the references, and watching/listening to Thatcher, her companions and adversaries online.

I appreciate how candidly Claire Berlinski wrote her thoughts, and the facts. I learned a whole lot about Thatcher, her policies and world politics throughout her time.

I am convinced for all the observable harm, simply "there was no alt
Sarah Hayes
Jul 07, 2010 marked it as abandoned
Shelves: politics-history
Was looking for a fair, unbiased look at the Iron Lady's legacy. What I found instead was a academic excuse of a love letter for Thatcher, complete with the infamous scene of Berlinski smelling the handbag as well as constantly making excuses for failed policies during Thatcher's era and trying to make it sound like London was ~saved~ by her policies; there is also the characterization of Labour men who disliked Thatcher as men with mommy issues. It was shallow and clunkily written and I regret ...more
Matthew
Mar 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
With such a title, I expected -- and didn't mind -- Berlinski's partisan approval of most things Thatcher. What was infinitely annoying, however, is how the title of the book could easily have been "Claire Berlinski gossips about Margaret Thatcher with people who knew Margaret Thatcher." It's possible "I" appears more often than "Thatcher," in fact.

The answer to why Thatcher matters is in here, but clearly that mattered less to Berlinski than the titillation of hobnobbing with the Conservative (
Quinndara
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this book. The author's style was engaging. I wanted to learn about Margaret Thatcher and her times. I wanted to know why the author thought MT mattered. I picked a good book to start with. In the author's words, Margaret Thatcher mattered because she could "sense the big picture" and could understand historical forces and "master" them. Lenin had these abilities and so did Winston Churchill. Margaret Thatcher had these gifts. The author shows that M. Thatcher understood the big picture ...more
Greg Perciak
Jul 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
I always got a kick out of Maggie Thatcher and had read Berlinski's previous book - Menace in Europe - so I knew she's a good author. This is an unconventional biography (more of a profile, actually), put together without regard for chronology, mostly from interviews with those who knew and worked with her, and with more than a few of the author's well-argued opinions. It also contains a readable refresher in Economics 101. I realize that doesn't sound exciting but the book actually improves as ...more
Lyssa  R
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book at a library book sale and I'm so glad I did! I had been meaning to find out more about Margaret Thatcher. I feel like this book had a very nice layout. It is a lot more approachable than many other books about Prime Minister Thatcher. Some of the transcription sections are a little rough, but I feel like the book took her life and the surrounding forces affecting Britain during her term as Prime Minister and really explained how everything fit together.
Michael
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Berlinski is very much in the pro-Thatcher camp but her biography is fair, interviewing may of Thatcher's opponents (except Scargill, who refused to be interviewed). It does an excellent job of establishing the sorry state of Britain when she took power, the steps she took and the consequences. Definitely a must read. She includes a lot of verbatim transcripts with the principles, which is entertaining. British politicians actually tend to say things.
Louise
Aug 28, 2012 rated it liked it
First book on my book group list year. A reasonably well researched book , timeline jumps a little which could be confusing for anyone not overly familiar with UK modern history. With hindsight it is easy to see just how important she was to ensuring the freedoms that Britain now enjoys. Looking forward to hearing what the book group made of it esp. as I will be the only one who was actually in the country when this all took place!
Purple Wimple
Nov 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: western-civ
Wow, what a great read. Berlinski has an eye for drama, and keys in to the battle between Scargill and Thatcher with skill. For those of us too young to remember it, this is a good way to learn about it, both the events, and the ideological undercurrents that drove history toward the conflict.

And it's a compelling treatment of Thatcher, which is a nice counterpunch to the prevailing leftist crap that swirls around us about her.
Ramona
May 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I learned so much about this great woman, and Ronald Reagan and Gorbachov. There were things happening in the world during my adult lifetime, that I now understand better, looking backwards. The author has a great move along style for a historical writer. It is never boring. Everyone needs to read this.
Darla
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well-researched and thoughtful commentary on Margaret Thatcher's contributions and her importance in world history. Especially enjoyed reading about her and Reagan. Their relationship with Gorbachev (the triumvirate) was one of my favorite parts of the book.
Jen
Oct 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was a very unique biography in which the author's personality really shines through. She presents a picture of Margaret Thatcher and her policies that is very interesting and she makes a complex subject very digestable. I highly recommend this book.
Will
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is little I can add to what the other reviewers have written. Suffice it to say that she was an extraordinary woman and leader. The British people were lucky to have her, and very smart in electing her three times. As for the book, extremely interesting and well-written.
Craig
Sep 30, 2010 rated it liked it
I ordered this book after watching the Berlinski interview on "Uncommon Knowledge." But I was so intent on Claire's necklace I thought the book was about Teri Hatcher. Guess I should have paid more attention...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Path to Power
  • The Road to Fatima Gate: The Beirut Spring, the Rise of Hezbollah, and the Iranian War Against Israel
  • The Iron Lady: Margaret Thatcher, from Grocer's Daughter to Prime Minister
  • Fear No Evil
  • The Norton Anthology of American Literature, Volume B: 1820-1865
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2006
  • Rendezvous with Destiny: Ronald Reagan and the Campaign That Changed America
  • Margaret Thatcher: The Authorized Biography, Volume 1: From Grantham to the Falklands
  • The Falklands War
  • Making History
CLAIRE BERLINSKI WAS born in 1968 in California, and grew up in New York, Seattle and California. She received her undergraduate degree in Modern History and her doctorate in International Relations from Balliol College at Oxford University. She has since lived and worked in Britain, Thailand, Laos, France, and Turkey as a journalist, academic, consultant and freelance writer.
More about Claire Berlinski...