Start by marking “Love's Lovely Counterfeit” as Want to Read:
Love's Lovely Counterfeit

Love's Lovely Counterfeit

Da semplice autista del boss a capo dell'intera banda, una bella carriera per l'ex giocatore di football Ben Grace. In una cittadina come Lake City, dove il marcio è normalità, sembra che basti sapersi servire delle debolezze altrui per raggiungere i propri scopi. Ma sarà davvero così?
Published 1946 by The World Publishing Company (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about Love's Lovely Counterfeit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love's Lovely Counterfeit

Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Nov 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I was aware of the author as a primary source for some of my favorite noir movies, so I knid of knew what to expect. Indeed, this is very much a book of its time: 1942. Lake City - an imaginary mid Western town after the prohibition, the gangsters have the police and politicians under their thumb and can act with impunity from a downtown hotel.
Enter two young idealists - one man thinking he can escape the consequences of his bad decision of hooking up with a crime lord and one woman thinking tha
Daniel Polansky
A clever, amoral chiseler aims to overthrow the crime boss of a small midwestern city – so, Red Harvest, but with Cain’s nasty, sexy sheen. Like most of the rest of the stuff I’ve read by Cain, this goes on 30 pages longer than it really needed to, but you can’t quite bring yourself to complain.
Lauren
Jun 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
Within the first few pages of this book, I hit upon the following exchange:

"He hasn't got a chance."
"He's got Sol worried."
"You mean Mayor Maddux has."
"I don't get it."
"Well, Sol's the main beneficiary of this, our present administration, isn't he? The boys had to figure some way to make him kick in. So Maddux told him who's back of the Swede."
"You mean Delany?"

--to which my only real response was, "Look, James M. Cain, if you don't want me to read your novel, you can just say so." It's possib
Johnny
Sep 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pulp-adventure
Having seen films based on James M. Cain’s novels and being a fan of classic “noir,” one would have thought that I would have read at least one of his classic “noir” novels. But no! I stumbled across a copy of Love’s Lovely Counterfeit and decided it was time to discover what made this author a master of the genre. I may have picked the wrong book. While I enjoyed this one, the characters felt even more cardboard than those in a “B” movie. Ben Grace, the protagonist, could easily be a Bogey char ...more
Mariano Hortal
"Ligeramente Escarlata" de James M. Cain. Aprovechando la publicación de "Mildred Pierce", recupero este libro que tenía un poco olvidado por ahí del gran escritor de novela negra norteamericano y así le dedico un pequeño monográfico. En este caso nos encontramos con una novela al uso, clásica, con esos ingredientes que definieron al género. Un chófer sirve al gran criminal que maneja todos los hilos del hampa en la ciudad y está emparentado con el alcalde vigente, eso sí, se acercan elecciones ...more
Eric Hendrixson
Oct 16, 2011 rated it liked it
port22
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Love, at first real, is made subservient to power. And the people that love are consumed by the greed, and then destroyed.

But this is not a drama of epic style, in the prose of James M. Cain it all grows from a trivial setup in a second-rated city somewhere in the middle of America.

Ben is a driver of the local minor league mob boss. Forced into the job by his prematurely ended career in football, he harbors grudges for the station in life that the mafioso appointed for him.

The book begins at a t
Douglas Castagna
One of the only pieces Cain wrote with a movie in mind, Love's Lovely Counterfeit is lacking in every area that makes his other novels compelling and highly readable. This seemed like a chore to get through and before I finished it this time I had started to read it several times last year. I have yet to see the movie that was based in this story; Slightly Scarlet, but I am sure it cannot be any worse than this entry in the James M Cain cannon.

This is a rare third person narrative (for Cain) tha
Sistermagpie
May 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: american-lit, novels
Another Cain book, this one I hadn't heard of before now. This one's straightforward crime, the story of a mob chauffeur who sees a chance to take over for his boss. Naturally he meets a woman or two, one of whom is truly bad and therefore the love of his life. The story's pretty fun, full of dirty politics, murder switcheroos and guys with nicknames like Goose and Lefty. I admit I was hoping for a worse ending for the bad girl because she sounded like a real pain in the neck.
wally
Nov 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: cain
4th from cain for me. onward and upward.

an okay story...just okay...had the feel of something plotted out in advance and written to that device though it did get a tad more interesting as it neared the end. abrupt ending...as if...cue porky pig...da-da-da-da dat's all folks! cue the looney tunes theme song.
Howard Goodman
Sep 11, 2013 rated it liked it
B-Movie Cain.

We're in Lake City, where the chauffeur of a mob boss takes over the rackets and an idealistic young woman aligns with him, until her trouble-prone sister enters the scene.

Mines the same territory as Hammett's "Glass Key" and "Red Harvest," but with lesser yields.
Erik Laiho
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
There's a good reason you've never read this one before---it's no-good.
Eva D.
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Basically, everybody is evil.
Ryan W.
Apr 24, 2014
Dr_zaius
rated it did not like it
Jul 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Deadline at Dawn
  • The Burglar
  • Heed the Thunder
  • Where is Janice Gantry?
  • The Body Lovers
  • Dead Calm (John Ingram #2)
  • I Should Have Stayed Home
  • The Corpse Wore Pasties (Hard Case Crime, #62)
James Mallahan Cain was an American journalist and novelist. Although Cain himself vehemently opposed labelling, he is usually associated with the hardboiled school of American crime fiction and seen as one of the creators of the 'roman noir'.

He was born into an Irish Catholic family in Annapolis, Maryland, the son of a prominent educator and an opera singer. He inherited his love for music from h