Start by marking “Robert B. Parker's Angel Eyes (Spenser, #47)” as Want to Read:
Robert B. Parker's Angel Eyes (Spenser, #47)

Robert B. Parker's Angel Eyes

(Spenser #47)

In the latest thriller featuring the legendary Boston PI, Spenser heads to the City of Angels to meet old friends and new enemies in a baffling missing person case that might shake Tinseltown to its core.

Gabby Leggett left her Boston family with big dreams of making it as a model/actress in Hollywood. Two years later, she disappears from her apartment. Her family, former
Published November 19th 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about Robert B. Parker's Angel Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Robert B. Parker's Angel Eyes

Start your review of Robert B. Parker's Angel Eyes (Spenser, #47)
Kemper
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Spenser goes Hollywood, and I’m not talking about that upcoming Netflix movie.

A young woman originally from Boston has gone missing after moving to Los Angeles, and her mother has hired Spenser to find her so he heads west. Tracking down the young lady puts Spenser at odds with a powerful Hollywood producer, a self-help group that seems more like a cult, and a dangerous Aremenian gang.

Fortunately, despite being far from home Spenser has plenty of friends around to help out like his former
Scott
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
"And what are we?" -- Zebulon 'Z' Sixkill, novice private investigator

"Reputable thugs with good teeth, trying to stay one step ahead of the bad guys and the cops." -- Spenser, seasoned private investigator

The venerable Boston P.I. known by a single name heads west to Hollywood on a missing persons case involving Gaby, a wannabe model / actress turned ubiquitous social media influencer. Capably assisting him (since long-time sidekick Hawk is again absent from the proceedings) is protege 'Z,' the
Monnie
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When it comes to carrying on the legend of the late Robert B. Parker's Spenser, Ace Atkins hit the ground running from the git-go; almost always, I'm impressed with the similarities to the originals and always look forward to the latest installment. In this one, I'd say he's hit it out of the park in that regard.

Here, Spenser goes Hollywood, hired by a friend of his main squeeze, psychologist Susan Silverman, to find her missing daughter. Far from his familiar Boston haunts, Spenser hooks up
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
ANGEL EYES is the 48th(!) novel featuring Spenser, who still remains mystery fiction’s most confident and self-satisfied private investigator. And yes, we are glad for it. Though Spenser and his supporting characters have outlived Robert B. Parker, their creator, the torch has been carried for almost a decade by the stalwart Ace Atkins in what has been, for all intents and purposes, a flawless passing of the franchise. To say that Atkins has “copied” Parker’s style in the series would not be ...more
Hobart
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
1/2 (rounded up)
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
In the passing light, I noticed the welts on her wrists, chapped and bloody.

She'd been tied up for a long time.

Chollo noticed them, too.

"Should we kill him?" he said.

"Too easy."

"You will never change, amigo," he said. When will you learn? Some people live without rules. And sometimes killing a bad man is the only way."

"I have other ideas for [him]."

Chollo nodded. "And I am listening"

The day that Hawk, Chollo (and a few
Lexxi Kitty
Robert B. Parker ended up with four series before his death in 2010. The Spenser series, Sunny Randall series, Jess Stone Series, and the Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch series. All of the series were continued after his death, though it took a while for the first non-Parker written Sunny Randall book to appear, and there’s still only one of them out there. I’ve only continued two of the series as I felt that the Stone/Randall had a perfect ending in the last Parker book he wrote in both series ...more
Robert James
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another good entry in this series. Atkins breathed new life into this character a while back and with this one he changes the setting from Boston to LA. The change is ok but it lacks the atmosphere of Spenser's Boston. Also, what has happened to Hawk? We get a lot of Sixkill and Susan again but no Hawk? This is a very quick read but entertaining. Perfect for a long weekend or a holiday break.
Bing Gordon
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Move over Philip Marlowe

Ace Atkins takes Spenser to the underbelly of Los Angeles, to romp with Zebulon and find the perfect way to irritate Susan Silverman. I wish the new books in the series came faster.
Larraine
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
When Robert B. Parker died, I thought that his iconic series were ending. I'm not a fan of westerns, but I always enjoyed Spenser (so much that I named a cat after him) and his other characters, Jesse Stone and Sunny Randall. I really enjoyed the Sunny Randall books, but apparently I'm a minority. She is a tough Spenser like woman with an interesting love life and a strong moral code. Jesse Stone is a former baseball player now a law enforcement official in a small New England town.

This book is
Sandy
I received an ARC of this book from Netgalley, in return for a fair and honest review.

I've been a fan of the Spenser books ever since the first one, and, on the whole, I've been enjoying the Ace Atkins continuation of the series. I wasn't fond of #46, Robert B. Parker's Old Black Magic. In this one, however, Ace Atkins is back on track.

First, it was fun to have Spenser reunited with Zebulon Sixkill - I liked his character, and it's a pleasure to have him involved again (don't be misled by the
Albert Riehle
This is a good, quick read. It's good to see Spenser out of his element in LA instead of Boston. It's good to see Sixkill again--though any of these books without Hawk lose something, in my opinion.

The story is an amalgamation of two items of interest in the news over the past couple of years that make up the plot of this book. One is the Hollywood sex scandals that resulted in the #MeToo movement and the other is the Allison Mack/Keith Raniere/Nxivm sex cult.

The problem is that, in my
Jeff Yoak
This series is losing its way. The impressive thing isn't how elegantly the bear waltzes, but that it waltzes at all. I had minimal hopes that Ace Atkins could continue the series when Parker died. I was delighted that the stories were still good.

Now, looking back at my own ratings, they keep coming regularly as three stars. If these were the first stories, I wouldn't have picked the series up. It is more nostalgia for the series as Parker wrote it than good in its own right.

Will I read the next
Debra Belmudes
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it ... Atkins does a great job of continuing Robert B. Parker's Spenser mystery series. I especially appreciated his nod to Robert Crais in Chapter 26 by indirectly referring to sighting Joe Pike as he jogs in a Los Angeles park.

Angel Eyes tell the story of a young Boston girl seeking fame in Los Angeles. Los Angeles and its fast-lane lifestyle take their toll and the girl becomes involved with an "empowerment" group that is little more than a cult.
Howard
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply stated I’m a Spenser fan! Have been since The Godwulf Manuscript came out in 1973. I miss Robert Parker. That said, Ace Atkins does a first-rate job. The dialogue sparkles. Action abounds. The plot twists. Old characters come back and there is a cameo that I loved. Can’t wait for the next one and maybe hear from Hawk again.
Campbell
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's Spenser. Those who know, know that's enough.
Tim
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley to read and review.

ROBERT B. PARKER’S ANGEL EYES by Ace Atkins is the 47th book in the Spenser Series that author Atkins has carried on since the passing of Robert B. Parker, original author and creator of the series.

Spenser once again is requested to take on a case by Susan, his longtime companion and the love of his life, in a case involving a missing young actress whose disappearance seems to be under suspicious
Annie
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog Nonstop Reader.

Angel Eyes is the 47th (!!!) Spenser novel. Originally written by the inimitable Robert B. Parker, this (and the previous 5) installments in the series have been written by Ace Atkins channeling the very spirit of the sadly departed Mr. Parker. Released 19th Nov 2019 by Penguin on their G.P. Putnam imprint, it's pages and available in hardcover, audio, and ebook formats.

I've been in love with this series since book 1 (The Godwulf Manuscript) and I
Ed
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
#48 in the Spenser series (#8 written by Ace Atkins, after 39 written by Robert B. Parker and 1 competed by Parker's agent Helen Brann after his death). This 2019 series entry by author Ace Atkins is a mixed bag. On the plus side, Spenser visits Los Angeles and rekindles acquaintances with ex-protégé Zebulon Sixkill and well as LAPD Captain Samuelson, crime boss Victor Del Rio, and gunmen Chollo and Bobby Horse. Susan Silverman makes a Pleasant appearance. On the minus side, Spenser's early ...more
Joan
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Spenser heads for Hollywood when a friend of Susan’s hires him to find her missing daughter. It’s not long before agents, studio bosses, and the mob tangle themselves up in his investigation. But Gabby Leggitt remains among the missing, purportedly having become part of a mysterious self-help group with a more-than-dubious history.

With the help of Zebulon Sixkill, now a private investigator in Los Angeles, and some support from Chollo and Bobby Horse, will Spenser be able to find the girl
Jenna
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Woo hoo…Z is back as well as Chollo & Bobby. One of the things I love about the Spenser series is the supporting characters. They are the best!!!!

I’m glad that the Parker estate continued publishing these books as well as finding a writer who does a great job of imitating the original writers voice.It’s also cool that while technically Spenser is too old his character has aged slowly & has incorporated modern tech into the stories. (ie. cell phones, internet, etc.)

Another fast
Art
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I can't believe this series is in its 47th book. All in all, it has been a very good series. Some of the books have been great, some so-so. But the characters and their story lines have remained true and have continued to grow.

Ace Atkins has done a superior job with the franchise. He has continued the Spenser legacy abd written story arks worthy of Parker.

But this is not his best work.

Part of it is Spenser is best in Boston. Spenser is Boston.

But the Spenser who is looking for a missing young
Natalie
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am a Spenser groupie and stalker. I visit all of the Spenser landmarks every time I go to Boston. Do I have to plan a trip to Los Angeles after this book?

Of course I loved the book, great plot, despite it being reminiscent of many of his cases. Spenser and his endless sarcasm provide a great read. This book centers around the disappearance of a young and beautiful woman, trying to make it in Hollywood. The story incorporates much that is timely; cults, branding, ME TOO.

It reintroduces the
Shawn
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really do miss Robert Parker. Nevertheless, Atkins does a great job at capturing Parker's style, the feel of a Spenser novel, and the underlying morality of it. He even gets close to Spenser's wit--though it's not quite as snappy or droll as Parker's dialogue.

Atkins had some fun with this one. He always does some call-backs to earlier Parker novels, but this one had several laugh-out-loud references. One was a hilarious and not-so-subtle dig (maybe?) at the new Wahlberg Netflix series. Another
Bruce
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
L.A.'s no Boston, but Spenser fits right in as business takes him cross-country to the land of Angels and not-so-Angels over a client's missing daughter. Readers get fun (?) reunions with some of Spenser's old friends and acquaintances, as well as the usual fisticuffs, shootouts and Sardonic Spenser Wit. A fine time is had by almost all (not by the bad guys), especially by the readers, be they long-time or new to the Spenser Path. If Bob Parker was still around he'd be standing and applauding ...more
Mark
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another Ace Atkins' Spenser that shows Atkins is a worthy "Legacy Author" for the Parker estate and for us Parker fans...In this one, Spenser goes Hollywood, to find a Bostonian mother's missing daughter...Away from his Boston support group, Spenser hooks up with his apprentice ,Zebulon Sixkill, who is now relocated to LA and our friend Chollo...Decent semblance of "LA Noir" as Spencer digs through a sort of "Scientology" cult that his target has disappeared into...Like Parker, Atkins provides ...more
Matt
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Spenser goes to L.A. (again). This is another reliably good entry in the Spenser series by Ace Atkins. Atkins' prose is not as sparse as Parker's was but the writing is crisp and Spenser remains fresh and relevant. Occasionally, the plotting and tone were reminiscent of Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series and at times, I found myself wishing that Spenser was back in his familiar Boston, but once Susan made an appearance the pieces fell into place and the book moved along swiftly. As always, ...more
Tim Connors
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Ace Atkins does an admirable job in keeping the Spenser series going but this one was a bit disappointing. I'm not a big fan of stories with Spenser in LA even when we get more of Zebulon Sixkill, Chollo and Bobby Horse. The settings seemed a bit forced and the characters feel tired. (As a side note, where the hell has Hawk been for the last few adventures?!) I hate to say it (cuz I've read all of the Spenser books) but maybe it is time to let him retire.
Donna Hines
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Sometimes you can't save everyone especially from themselves.
In this case we have a 'cult' like atmosphere with Helios and more than a few who belong that might need to be saved.
Yet, do we turn a blind eye?
Gabby is missing and may have been pre-ordained .
Love is of course blind!
Oh and don't forget several people are dead with many wondering whose in charge here.
All in all not bad.
Hope you enjoy.
John Geary
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What can I say? I rarely give five out of five to any book but I just love the series and all the characters in it. It’s got everything you would want in a Spenser novel, everything you’ve come to expect. I do miss Hawk, however. He hasn’t been in the last three novels and I really do miss him as a piece of the enigmatic puzzle of relationships between the main characters Spenser, Susan Silverman, and a few others who pop into the stories from time to time.
Lara
Nov 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Fun to see Spenser out of his element and in LA, location of one of his darker and sadder cases. The plot is ripped from the headlines—young wanna-be starlet sucked into a sex cult—but Spenser is the guy you want on a case like this. I also enjoyed Spenser’s many joking references to older, classic Hollywood, and the amused implications of his age tied to that.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Robert B. Parker's The Bitterest Pill (Jesse Stone, #18)
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • Criss Cross (Alex Cross, #27)
  • Final Option (Oregon Files, #14)
  • Stealth (Stone Barrington, #51)
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • Tom Clancy Code of Honor (Jack Ryan Universe Book 28)
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • Sins of the Fathers (J.P. Beaumont #24)
  • The Fifth Sacred Thing (Maya Greenwood, #1)
  • Single
  • Wife After Wife
  • Pretty Things
  • Nine Elms (Kate Marshall, #1)
  • Edison
Ace Atkins is the author of eight novels, including his latest, Infamous, from G.P. Putnam’s Sons.

A former journalist who cut his teeth as a crime reporter in the newsroom of The Tampa Tribune, he published his first novel, Crossroad Blues, at 27 and became a full-time novelist at 30.

While at the Tribune, Ace earned a Pulitzer Prize nomination for a feature series based on his investigation into a

Spenser (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • The Godwulf Manuscript (Spenser, #1)
  • God Save The Child (Spenser, #2)
  • Mortal Stakes (Spenser, #3)
  • Promised Land (Spenser, #4)
  • The Judas Goat (Spenser, #5)
  • Looking For Rachel Wallace (Spenser, #6)
  • Early Autumn (Spenser, #7)
  • A Savage Place (Spenser, #8)
  • Ceremony (Spenser, #9)
  • The Widening Gyre (Spenser, #10)