Start by marking “Requiem Infernal (Dark Coil)” as Want to Read:
Requiem Infernal (Dark Coil)

Requiem Infernal

(Dark Coil)

On a distant world, an obscure order of the Adepta Sororitas study their founder's visions. They live in solitude… which is about to be broken as danger approaches.

The Adepta Sororitas of the Last Candle have stood vigil over their sanctuary world for centuries, striving to decipher their founder's tormented visions. Outsiders are unwelcome… yet still they come.

Decimated
Published October 15th 2019 by Games Workshop (first published October 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Requiem Infernal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Requiem Infernal

Start your review of Requiem Infernal (Dark Coil)
Tim
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
It took me about a month to read this book. Not because it was bad, oh no, far from it. It's frankly way better than I expect any Warhammer novel to be. That's not a slight against the series, they are massively entertaining books (to me at least), but I generally expect the literary equivalent of a popcorn action movie (with a cynical touch of ironic humor). This... this is something else.

Let me start the review proper with something of an odd question. Have you ever heard of a video game
Jack +Books & Bourbon+
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This has been a rough year for reading for me. Where I usually finish several books a month, lately it takes me more than a month to even finish one. It’s frustrating, and the reading rut shall likely continue until I get some stuff in my personal life sorted out.

I preface this review with that little blurb to point out that finishing this book took me an inordinate amount of time, but that is by no means a reflection on the quality of the story or the writing. In all actuality, this is a rather
Alina Zabiyaka
“Never go gently into the long night!”

This is my very first review on Goodreads, but I couldn’t miss a chance to write about the recent book that I most loved – ‘Requiem Infernal’, the latest Warhammer 40K novel by Peter Fehervari.

I’ve already enjoyed his previous books in brilliant Russian translations (and will certainly get the local edition too, when it hits the shelves). Unlike other Black Library authors mostly writing about the major, iconic warzones and characters from the worlds of
Michael Dodd
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peter Fehervari’s third novel, Requiem Infernal, continues to develop his Dark Coil metaplot and the complex, intense, interconnected storytelling that defines his work. Many years after leaving her birthplace, the austere home of the Adepta Sororitas of the Last Candle, Sister Asenath Hyades returns seeking answers, and aid for the few survivors of a once-proud Imperial Guard regiment. She finds the holy Candleworld much changed, it’s deepening darkness profoundly challenging her faith as she ...more
Mat Rees
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've never read a Warhammer novel before and I've never reviewed a book on Good Reads before.

I felt compelled as this was utterly brilliant. Recommended by a friend and set within a mythos I barely know, it's driven by characters and drama that are authentic, surprising and universally understandable - Requiem Infernal is one of the best, most magnetic, enigmatic and intriguing stories I've read in some while.

To say anything of the plot would spoil it, but suffice to say it demonstrates
Rostislav Markelov
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It looks like I’m a little late this time. There are already many magnificently crafted reviews here. So, let’s see if I would be able to add something worthwhile.

For me this novel release was indeed long awaited for several rather unusual reasons, so it’s no wonder that I have already read it several times.

The novel opens with an Exordium and with it we get an example of Fehervari mastery right from the start. Actually, I was mesmerized by this little but carefully crafted piece of text. Style
Tim Van Lipzig
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Requiem Infernal is the third full-length novel by Peter Fehervari, one of the best and arguably most fascinating authors currently writing for Black Library, the british publisher of literature set in the dystopian universe of Warhammer 40.000. Make no mistake, though: this is no tale of heroism and the fate of humankind, but a twisted road of terror, secrets and personal redemption. It's a masterstroke of a novel, bringing together everything that already made Fehervari's *Fire Caste* and ...more
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
I received a copy of Requiem Infernal through NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Requiem Infernal is part of the Dark Coil series, which will hopefully have more books added to it in the near future. Written by Peter Fehervari, the novel fits in with the world of 40K, with a delightful focus on the Adepta Sororitas.
If you've read any other 40K novels, let me just say that you need to lay down all of your expectations before picking up Requiem Infernal. This book reads nothing
Paul
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best Warhammer books I have read, from one of the Black Library’s best, and most underrated, authors.

I first discovered Peter Fehervari via a short story in the Crusade omnibus (A Sanctuary of Wyrms), and I was hooked by the uniqueness of the tale. The mystery, the dark atmosphere, the close paranoia, the twisting narrative. In a few pages, Fehervari had captured the mood of the 40k universe better than anything else I had read.

I looked deeper into Fehervari’s works and found
Alex
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There's so much that could be talked about in Requiem Infernal that to write it all would take hours, but i'll sum it up by saying that this novel is fantastic! Peter Fehervari absolutely nails the horror aspects, the tone and the setting in ways that few other Black Library authors do, his characters are fascinating, multi-layered and frequently surprise with their actions and beliefs, and though he admits that action isn't his priority that doesn't stop his battle scenes from being great and ...more
Anthony Giordano
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Strap yourselves in. The Grand Weaver of the Dark and Esoteric, Peter Fehervari, has released his third full-length novel, Requiem Infernal. I will post the publisher synopsis in a second; however, it goes without saying that this, being a Fehervari novel, does not adhere to any semblance of a linear narrative. Not in the least. In fact, Requiem Infernal benefits immensely from two factors: firstly, the sheer amount of intersecting storylines and character arcs ported over from previous Dark ...more
Danny Montgomery
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every once in a while you read a book so good that you kinda wish you gave less 5 star reviews for books you just think are pretty good because what you just read deserves some distinction.
This is one of those books.

This is a bit of a slow burn and I do not mean that in a bad way. It also doesn't give you all the answers and lets you know at the start that it won't and I also don't mean that in a bad way.
This is also a book that I think a person who knows nothing about 40k could pick up and
Beth ~~Just One More Chapter I Swear~~
WOW! Okay. After many deep meditative breathes, and a few meditative brownies, I finally feel ready to put thought to page. I have to start off by confessing that I was a bit out of my depths having no idea of the story's plot and never having read a Warhammer novel before. If you haven't either then the most important things for you to know are that this read is deep, eloquently written, (grim)dark, foreboding and creepy as all hell. Images were put in my mind and, for better or worse, they ...more
Anastasia Borisova
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Peter Fehervari is one of the Black Library's most special authors and his artfully crafted horror novels are always a delight to read. Exquisite language, precisely constructed composition of both novels and entire cycles where every turn of the plot adds in new pieces to the arcane puzzle.

'Requiem Infernal' starts off with a classical horror trope 'outsiders arrive to a backwater shrine with a dark secret'. The main theme of the story is the conflict of human mind and humanity in general with
Andrew
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is absolutely amazing. Warhammer 40,000 books are usually fun, but nobody's going to call them high art.

Peter Fehervari's Requiem Infernal is an exception: it's a genuinely good and genuinely scary horror novel that would be fantastic in any setting. It's a combination of gothic horror, Lovecraftian eldritch horror, and even your standard 40k action, but mainly it's dark, brooding, and genuinely, deeply *unsettling* in a way that even genre horror often fails to match.

It's about people
India
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, 4-star-books
So, my first foray with Warhammer 40,000 novels.

I went into this novel knowing nothing about Warhammer 40,000 and I didn't feel like I needed any real knowledge of what it was going into it. I think if I did it would have made me understand the titles and the groups of people a lot easier but I still thoroughly enjoyed it regardless.

So I am just going to list what I liked and dislike about this book and a more detailed review will go up on my blog.

Firstly, thank you Netgalley and Black Library
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this from Netgalley for review. This is the truest yet horror novel Warhammer Horror has released. Gruesome, dark, terror inspiring, cryptic, book. This absolutely blew me away. Excellent characters, excellent storyline, excellent amount of gore and horror. A job well done on this book. This will definitely be a hard copy order for my collection!
Cian
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bl
Excellent. Far closer to Vandermeer or Cisco than to Dan Abnett or Graham McNeill, much more obviously horror and new weird, right down to being replete with callbacks to Poe and Hodgson. Fire Caste still pips it as Ferhervari's best but only by a hair.

It's dark, claustrophobic and there's a lot of care and effort put towards making even minor characters feel real and significant, even where they meet messy ends. Wonderfully playful use of voice with Sister Asenath throughout and especially
Laurence
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Funny that BL Publishing should open their own line of horror books, and then publish this book a month later under its regular brand. This is the most overtly horrific novel they have published, one which understands how important it is to leave the reader to fill in the gaps with their own imagination.

Not for this book the capitalised, easy-to-identify units from the wargame, but creations of the author's own imagination, obliquely referencing archetypes from the universe rather than the usual
Sergio Arturo Celi
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m an avid Warhammer 40k fan since my childhood and I’ve been reading novels of the setting for long time. From Dan Abnett’s Tanith First and Only to multiple part The Beast saga. With this said, I must conclude Requiem Infernal is not only one of the best 40k books I’ve read, but also one of my favourite books of the decade.

The characters are all well written with their particularities and you really want to know more about them through the book. The setting is also interesting and full of
Ellen Schoener
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
THIS is how you do 40k horror.
I do not want to repeat all the praise of all the other reviewers here, it really is that good.
The setting, the atmosphere, the characters, all comes together to create a stunning whole.
Plus, the writing is fantastic and set apart from most other Black Library books.
It is one of these books where you read the first few pages and you are irrevocably hooked.
More of this please.
Christian
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great Gothic Grimdark novel featuring the Adepta Sororitas and the Astra Militarum caught in a forbidding castle structure. It has incredible atmosphere, literary allusions, powerful descriptions and complex broken characters. Twists and turns and non-linear storytelling evoke David Lynch and the ending may be frustrating to some but, for me, it was cruelly satisfying. What a fantastic read!
Juliana
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Requiem Infernal was a dark and intense, chaotic and complex read and i loved every moment! This is the first novel I’ve read by Peter Fehervari and i’m definitely interested in checking out more of his work!
James Hellier
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book

Reads a bit like Edwin Drood in style; the pervasive sense of dread is excellently written into the fabric of the story, which is itself an extremely elegant web. The madness of Chaos is amazingly portrayed here as well
Allyn Nichols
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Purgatory? Hell? Who knows..?. This tale is as dark and distrubing as Warhammer gets. Beautifully crafted and keeps you hooked to the very last stomach churning rancid page.
Brad Baker
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is more than ‘just’ another Warhammer book. It’s in that setting to be sure, but it’s more. It’s creepy as all get out. I both enjoyed and dreaded reading it. It’s grim and dark - just how I like it. Great character development. And redemption - for some.
Skaragrimson
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rarely can Black Library Books be called "profound" - but I believe this manages it... and then some. Told through the compelling but increasingly fraught perspectives of the two main protagonists - first their perceptions of reality start to unthread and then that of the reader... This powerful and downright creepy tale does some genuinely clever and novel things with the mechanics of story-telling. Stylistically might not be to everyone's taste but always beautifully written and shows just ...more
Jack Volante
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of the best novels to come out of Black Library in a long time. I was really gripped by the story and the steady build-up to the climatic end battle was a wonderful experience.

Can't wait to read more from this author.
Luke Jensen
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed by Peter Fehervari. His take on the SoB was really refreshing. It's great to see a newer author from Black Library already hitting his stride.
John
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it
The story didn't pull me in, but it's actually good, just not really what I was expecting.
Exordium 2 11 May 02, 2019 03:57AM

• The Lost and the Damned (The Siege of Terra #2)
  • The Hollow Mountain (Vaults of Terra #2)
  • Konrad Curze: The Night Haunter (The Horus Heresy: Primarchs, #12)
  • Belisarius Cawl: The Great Work
  • The Solar War (The Siege of Terra #1)
  • Spear of the Emperor (Warhammer 40,000)
  • The Wicked and the Damned (Warhammer Horror)
  • The House of Night and Chain (Warhammer Horror)
  • Angron: Slave of Nuceria (The Horus Heresy: Primarchs #11)
  • Honourbound (Severina Raine)
  • Apocalypse (Space Marine Conquests #5)
  • The Buried Dagger (The Horus Heresy #54)
  • Rites of Passage (Lady Chettamandey #1)
  • Celestine: The Living Saint (Warhammer 40,000)
  • Shadowbreaker (Deathwatch)
  • Maledictions (Warhammer Horror)
  • Cadian Honour (Cadia #2)
  • Knights of Macragge (Warhammer 40,000)
“The flesh is as weak as its wearer, and its wearer as weak as their dreams.” 1 likes
“We are Adepta Sororitas. We look to the heart for purity, not upon the face.” 1 likes