Start by marking “Starting from Zero (Starting From #1)” as Want to Read:
Starting from Zero (Starting From #1)

Starting from Zero

(Starting From #1)

Justin Cuevas is going through a rough patch. A broken relationship, a scandal, and the demise of his band have shaken the aspiring rock star’s confidence. Working two jobs and sleeping on his friend’s sofa isn’t ideal, but Justin isn’t ready to give up yet. With a little luck, he’s hoping to re-launch his music career in LA with his new band, Zero. The key is to stay focu ...more
ebook, 1st edition, 215 pages
Published April 19th 2019 by Lane Hayes (first published April 16th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Starting from Zero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starting from Zero

Start your review of Starting from Zero (Starting From #1)
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~4.5~

It might make this too real. And it was already a little scary. Like finding yourself at the edge of a cliff where the view was incredible...and so was the fall.

I highlighted so many passages in this book. Lane Hayes' writing is DIVINE, and the dual first-person POV (not her usual style) added another dimension to an already complex story. I loved the unique voices of the MCs.

An aspiring song writer, Justin wants to get his band off the ground. Justin is a little rough around t
Judith
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.75

I don't know how this has happened but this is the first book I've read by this Author.I wasn't really sure what to expect and I've got to admit I did struggle initially.I couldn't connect to the story at first and it wasn't until I got to about 30% that I started to enjoy it.But I'm so glad I stuck with it and I fell hopelessly in love with Gray.

I'm not a huge fan of stories centred around Hollywood but I'm guessing it was a good portrayal of the cut throat world in the music industry.Ambit
Shile
Audiobook - 4 stars
Story - 4 stars

Lane is back on my reading list.

This was cute and enjoyable.
Jan
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: age-gap, favorites, ku
**** 4.5 Stars ****

I haven't read many books by this author, but I can safely say that Starting From Zero is hands down my favourite! It got me hooked from the first page.

I've found extremely refreshing to read a story where there are no hidden cards, mind games and miscommunication. Justin and Gray talked a lot, about everything and nothing and it felt natural and crucial to set the right pace in their relationship development.

Despite walking on eggshells regarding the way feelings were growin
Cadiva
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This might just be my favourite Lane Hayes romance yet. It's absolutely perfect, from the age gap between Justin and Gray, to the way they fall in love, to the drama which surrounds them and to the beautiful love story which anchors them.

For most of the book, the only voices we hear are Justin (*I'm an idiot and put Julian!) and Gray, the world continues around them and there're brief intermissions with other people, but the intensity and the focus stays with two men who meet almost by accident
Dia
3,5 stars rounded up

Lane Hayes is one of my favorite authors, so when I've heard she did her first dual POV story I was all in.

This story was engaging, it had sweet characters. I enjoyed the secondary characters too, except Xena and Seb. But I really enjoyed the main characters.

The love song making was endearing, but I think the best thing about this book was the hotness.

I can't say what bugged me the most here, but maybe it was too sugary sweet for me... I might have overdosed a little on the s
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5 Stars!

This one kind of had some mixed reviews so I was a bit hesitant going in. But I loved it.

I loved getting the dual POVs. I really liked both MCs. The Hollywood drama wasn't too over the top.

All in all a great start to a new series I am super excited about.
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5★'s Rounded Up.

This is my 20th Lane Hayes book and she is one of my stop what you are doing and read authors without a doubt. But this book, well, this read so different to me. I think I have come to expect a certain formula and this seemed to follow its own path. This is not a bad thing, really, new and refreshing is a good thing; it just took me a minute or two to embrace it.

Truth. I started this on Monday night after Jeopardy and I could not get into it. I wasn’t sure if I was just tired o
~Mindy Lynn~
4 Stars!

I have been so stressed out about this move and reading a low angst book with a sweet romance that had only some drama was such a needed read for me. I really enjoyed it.

I really liked Justin and Gray together. The age gap didn't feel like a gap at all. I thought their puzzle pieces fit the other perfectly. Justin was high energy where Gray was more laid back. They complimented each other in that way. Gray calmed the chaos in Justin's head. They just got each other on a level that no on
Fabi

I haven't read all of Lane Hayes' books, but I've read several. I've loved every one I've read. She writes flawed human characters. Characters that are not perfect unless you view them as "perfect imperfections". Like I said, "human".

I picked up this book because I'm a huge fan of any musical theme in a romance. Give me a character who writes, performs or even dances and I'm all over that trope.

Meet perfectly imperfect Justin. He captures hearts when he sings, but he's not necessarily a
Truths Loveislovereview
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, lgbtq
Justin is twenty-six and a beautiful wild flower, his head full of anxiety and great lyrics. A passionate man taking breath therapy instead of medication. After his band Gypsy Coma falls apart, he is broke and looking for a new gear.

Gray is forty-four, an established composer and songwriter. A warm, emotional and sexy man with a humble personality.

When they meet for the first time at a bar, they have a hot, steamy night and separate without further plans. But destiny has other plans.

In short, th
Ky
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019, arc
New series from Lane Hayes! "Starting from Zero" is the first book and sets the stage for the rest. With a host of interesting characters, complicated relationships and a band just starting out we are sure to get more books set in this social circle!

Justin is fresh out of a relationship - well it's been six months but the animosity between him and his ex will make you think it's barely been 24 hours. He's crashing on his best friend's couch and on top of all that his band doesn't show any signs
Ariana
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: age-gap, ku, lgbtq
*4,5 stars*

There is a lot to like here:

.) age gap (18 years is quite a good one!)
.) musicians
.) vulnerability on both sides, but particularly Justin who not only fights for his dream to have a band, but who has also ADHD.
.) Gray. Gray. Gray. I seriously fell in love. That man turned my knees into jelly, not only because he is a hot, more ‘mature’ character, but the calm and kindness permeating through everything he does and says, the understanding and consideration he shows Justin, really turne
Joyfully Jay
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sammy
A Joyfully Jay review.

5 stars

I want to find some sort of flaw to bring up about Lane Haye’s latest release, Starting from Zero. I want to be careful and not just gush about how incredibly lovely this story is and how much I loved both of these characters. I want to tell you that this slow burning romance, which features an age gap that never seemed to be obvious or detract from these two men learning about each other and gradually falling in love, isn’t the most lyrical and poetic novel I have
haletostilinski
Overall I really enjoyed this book, it was really great. This is a spin off of the "Out in College" series, with the one of the MC's being Justin, Rory from book three's brother. I vaguely remember meeting him briefly in Rory and Christian's book, but not well.

And also, a new thing of Hayes in this book is that it has Dual POV!! Woo hoo! I've been kinda, in the back of my mind, hoping she would do Dual POV for a while. Most of the time I don't mind the single POV, if it's written well, but some
Lisazj1
4.5 stars! Just what my romantic heart needed. *sigh* Loved it!
ReadingAllNite
3.5 Stars Interesting and sweet

This was very low angst and minimal drama. I felt a little lost at first as I didn’t read the Out in College series and I guess some of the characters are from there. The age gap wasn’t really any issue but Justin sounded smarter and more mature than Gray. Unfortunately won’t be my favorite from the author.
Annery
When is an age gap story not an age gap story, not really? When it's by Lane Hayes, and that's a good thing.

Justin Cuevas is 26 y.o., starting yet another band, and trying to make it in the L.A music scene. One night he meets Grey Robertson, and what's meant to be a one-night stand slowly and organically develops into a low-angst, supportive, and believable relationship between people who speak the same language: music.

Grey is a veteran songwriter of jingles, movie soundtracks, and songs for b
Catherine
This was a weird one for me. I liked the characters and their chemistry together, but I didn't actually like the story.
.Lili.
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Starting From Zero by Lane Hayes

Let's not rehash the blurb and get down to the nitty-gritty.

Lots to love about a down on his luck aspiring musician and an older established songwriter.

-DUAL POVs! Getting both perspectives is always my preference, but Lane Hayes has only ever written in first person narrative- color me surprised when I turned the page and realized we were getting both POVs. I was little thrown off at first but quickly got used to it. I'm glad she wrote it this way as I don'
Alisa
This was one of the best books I've read in awhile. I always enjoy this author's work but this one really stood out to me. The writing here was gorgeous. In addition to being a very good book, it was also very romantic. One of those that makes you do a happy sigh when you're done reading it.

The story revolves around two men who on the surface seem very different. They meet at a club after Justin performs and they are immediately attracted to each other. They agree to go somewhere to talk but the
Leigh
May 05, 2019 rated it it was ok

Starting from Zero is my first book from Lane Hayes and definitely a hard one to rate. First I loved the age gap, second I loved the connection between Justin and Gray. Their chemistry was super hot but overall I thought the story was not very interesting and really boring. Unfortunately the writing and story failed to keep my attention.
Gabi
There was something magnetic about this book. I couldn't say if it was the energetic and proud rock star, Justin, or the more put together and mature Gray, or the connection between the two. Probably all three.

I like dialogue. But instead of the usual quick and witty exchanges, there were real and lengthy conversations here about everything and nothing important, which I found refreshing.

From the beginning I had the feeling I should already know some of the characters: Rory and Christian, Sebast
Karen
3.5 stars rounded...down...for now. I'm still pondering this, I may change that when I come back later today and attempt to write a review but for now...time is lacking as I have RL things to do...so, full review to follow soonish!

So here's the deal...

I was offered the chance to review the audio book 'Starting From Scratch' and it sounded interesting so I said "ok" and then I decided that even though it's different MCs I wanted to hear the first book as well so...off I went to audible to get
Nadine Bookaholic
I am fairly new to Lane Hayes' book as I have only read a handful of them but what I do know going into them now is that I will find a compelling story with two likable characters as well as interesting secondary characters and that is exactly what I found in Starting from Zero.

I had been introduced to Justin in a previous book, Out in the Offense, where his brother Rory gets his HEA but now I really got to know him better and I have to say I quite like the guy. He hasn't had it easy being the
Santy
Narrator: 3 Stars
Story: 4 Stars
Overall: 3.5 Stars Rounded up!

I read and listened to this book side by side and I must say that had I solely listened to the audiobook, this book would've been rated 3 Stars but the writing was very good per the ebook so I had to bump this up by a star.

Now, the audio was not bad per se, but it certainly was not the best I'd heard from Michael Pauley. I definitely know it's not the story because it was great as I said, so it might just be me not feeling Mr Pauley'
Jane super booklover📚
Starting from Zero by Lane Hayes, was just an ok read for me.

I gave it 3 stars because I just wasn't invested in it. I liked listening to it, but there was something missing. The rich and famous thing didn't really add to the story. So, I think its a bit cliché to point out the differences between the two main characters and, in my opinion, not necessary. Honestly, I thought the difference was more evident in their background and view of life, which further in the book lead to a connection betw
Bibliophile
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
3.5 stars. I loved the quiet love story featured in this story and the way in which the Hayes captured the little puzzle pieces each MC brought to their relationship that allowed them to fit so seamlessly with each other. My only quibble is purely personal--I'm not a fan of rock star stories. They seem to Hollywood to me which always draws me out of a story. Plus, I felt the drama with Seb was not needed. Still, it was a good story and I'm glad I read it.
Rachel
10/11/19 Currently on sale for 99c via Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QTCV69G/... ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Gideon (Finding Home, #3)
  • Best Man (Close Proximity, #1)
  • Whiskey Throttle (Fever Falls, #3)
  • Made for You (Love and Family, #2)
  • Angel (Fallen Angel, #3)
  • Copper Creek (Sawyer's Ferry #3)
  • Family Camp (Daddy Dearest, #1)
  • The Hate You Drink
  • Looking for Trouble
  • Viper (Fallen Angel #2)
  • LOL: Laugh Out Loud (After Oscar #2)
  • Resonance (Rhythm of Love #2)
  • The Secret (Love in O'Leary #3)
  • Endless Stretch of Blue
  • Spring Strings
  • Tallowwood (Tallowwood, #1)
  • Rocket Science (Love Logic #1)
  • Redeem (Under My Skin #4)
Lane Hayes is grateful to finally be doing what she loves best. Writing full-time! It’s no secret Lane loves a good romance novel. An avid reader from an early age, she has always been drawn to well-told love story with beautifully written characters. These days she prefers the leading roles to both be men. Lane discovered the M/M genre a few years ago and was instantly hooked. Her debut novel was ...more

Starting From (2 books)
  • Starting from Scratch (Starting From, #2)

News & Interviews

“I told you the name of the commercial jingle I wrote. You could always google it and—” “That’s research. Not happening,” I huffed. “Too much work?” “Too annoying. You know my brother’s name and that my mom is miserable and that I know the words to more eighties songs than I should admit. Fess up. It’s only fair.” “Okay…” He pulled into the driveway of a posh boutique hotel on Sunset and parked behind a Tesla near the modern-looking entry. Then he unfastened his seat belt and glanced up at the valet rounding the front of his car before refocusing on me. “My favorite color is blue, I’m an only child, my parents both died five years ago within a month of each other and…I’m going commando right now. How ’bout that drink?” 0 likes
“I have no idea what love is, but you’re the person I want to be with all the fucking time.” 0 likes