Start by marking “Sam Houston and the Alamo Avengers: The Texas Victory That Changed American History” as Want to Read:

The heart-stopping story of the fight for Texas by The New York Times bestselling author of George Washington's Secret Six and Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates.

In his now-trademark style, Brian Kilmeade brings alive one of the most pivotal moments in American history, this time telling the heart-stopping story of America's fight for Texas. While the story of the
Published November 5th 2019 by Sentinel

To ask other readers questions about Sam Houston and the Alamo Avengers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sam Houston and the Alamo Avengers

Start your review of Sam Houston and the Alamo Avengers: The Texas Victory That Changed American History
Clay Davis
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The diagrams in the book were not easy to make out.
Neil McKinlay
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for all lovers of liberty. Kilmeade skims off the cowardly patriot’s dross by placing us right in the action of freedom’s furnace. There we are beaten on the anvil of the example of Texas liberation: “God and Texas - Liberty or Death.” History shows that freedom comes only through acts of bravery. Just ask Jesus.
Cherie Gilmore
Originally I gave this book 4 stars as the author makes this a fun dramatic story. I enjoy the details on the Texas Revolution trail, or events leading up to the Alamo.
As usual Travis, Crockett, and Bowie are highlighted as defenders of the Alamo. I think it was a bit unfortunate that more time was not spend telling the story of the soldiers.
Also, the Alamo eye witness accounts vary greatly. The author seems to pick the most popular theories of how Bowie and Crockett died. Theories I have
Steve Hall
Nov 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
Disappointing — this book comes across more as a school book report than a scholarly examination of the Alamo and its aftermath. It seemed Mr. Kilmeade watched the movie and then wrote a book. I paid $30 for this at an airport bookstore. What a mistake.
Jim Brown
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Anyone my age grew up in the 50s and we all were well aware of the story of The Alamo, Davy Crocket, Jim Bowie and its many heroes. What I did not know was the history of incidents leading up to the Alamo and then following the defeat at the Alamo that all resulted in Texas winning its independence from Mexico. What I also didn’t realize until I read the book was that there were at least TWO Revolutionary Wars in America with the second being in Texas BEFORE it became part of America. Even so it ...more
Mike
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoy Brian Kilmeade's work. He writes short easy to read books on little known but important parts of American History or tells the story behind the story. In this case the book is not about the Alamo. It is about the events leading up to the Alamo including the massacres at Goliad and Gonzales. I like the explanation of the withdrawal of Texian troops in the face of Santa Ana until Houston had them in the right spot. I thought the battle at San Jacinto was not described as well as it could ...more
John Walker
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well done history of the Texas Revolution that covers just about everything and more.
Nice to see most of what we see in the Almo movies debunked. Travis and Bowie did not hate each other and their argument was confined between themselves, where they compromised in a joint command. Yes Tvis did complain about Bowie in a letter, but that's all.
Fannin at Golaid gets the same treatment as most have portrayed him. General Urrea did his best to save the Goliad soldiers but Santa Anna got his way.
Larry Peninger
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
The history of Texas and especially the The Alamo and its brave heroes is always fascinating. As always I try to read along with the audiobook. However the ebook was not available with the audiobook.

To hear Brian (the bolillio) Kilmeade murder the pronunciation of most counties and rivers is hilarious. He did his homework as far as resources and research he might have gone a step further to get the pronunciations correct.

That does not take away from the book. This is a first rate book and
Payden Pittman
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author, Brian Kilmeade, provides the reader with an accurate descriptive account of events that led up to the the Battle of the Alamo, the Battle at San Jacinto, and the journey of independence from Mexico for the state of Texas. I recommend this book to students in grades 8-12 and adults interested in United States historical nonfiction. I think it reads more like a novel than nonfiction! I was consumed with this book from start to finish. When I began reading this book, I had little ...more
Jquick99
Nov 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF (it’s ok, I know the story).

I just couldn’t keep on listening. The author dragged the story out too much. But my bigger “problem” was the lug who was the “Reader”. The Reader speaks as though he’s narrating a fight, or a machismo story...NOT smooth. And then he miss pronounces the key towns and rivers. It got to be so irritating...why don’t they educate the Reader as to how to say Refugio, or the Sabine, or ... so I looked to see who the Reader was. And it’s the author!!!

This guy wrote a
Bill
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While there are plenty of books and movies about the Alamo, this book puts the battle in perspective. What led up to the battle? Where does the battle fit in the war for Texas independence? To what did the battle (and the war) lead?

I used the audio version. The only reason that I did not give 5 stars is the voice actor. Kilmeade's pauses are misplaced, making the reading difficult to follow. Also, he seems to be excited about every sentence. When everything is emphasized, nothing is emphasized.
Heather
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a good review of this critical part of Texas history. If you're like me and have forgotten the finer details, read this book and become reacquainted with the history of this great state and the phenomenal people who helped Texas break free of Santa Anna's tyrannical rule. They understood what it was like to struggle under unfair practices and they did something about it while putting their lives on the line. I can't help but wonder if we'd do the same?
Gail Burgess
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Although I had visited the Alamo I never really understood the significance of it. I knew Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie had died there, but didn't really know why. It was great to learn more about what led up to the Alamo -- and maybe more importantly what followed it! I also enjoyed learning about all the folks who came to Texas to get their "second chance".
Susan Coley
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great history book from Brian Kilmeade. Early reviews knocked him as a reader, but I love his narration. The more exciting the part, the faster he reads. Like Houston and Bowie, Kilmeade should have learned a little Spanish. That doesn’t distract from the great details put into the book. What a great pleasure to listen to this book and remember our great Texas history.
Rebekah
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
The book content was good, but I did not enjoy the author reading the book. The inflection was all wrong making sad events appear exciting. It just made the book hard to listen to when the author read it with the excitement of a party instead of a war. Sorry Brian. Please let someone else do the audio version next time. :-(
Linda
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazingly well written history of this pivotal time. It is a talented writer who can take a story we all know and breathe new life into it. I recommend to all history lovers, and especially all Texans.
Amber Spencer
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5
North Landesman
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, history
A dramatic, fun, well-told story.
Kirby Davis
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
A decent book for those with little background in the Texas war for independence, but not up to his prior books.
Paulette
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have read and enjoyed all of Kilmeade's books on American history.
Bob Colvin
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kilmeade has done it again

Easily readable, meticulously researched, and emminently educational, it takes its place beside his other fine works. I highly recommend this book.
Eric Mayes
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely a fabulous book on the Texas Revolution.
Tom Cross
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Marvelous, well-written book with just the right combination of story and historical facts.
Craig W Tourte

• The United States of Trump: How the President Really Sees America
  • The Way I Heard It
  • The Case Against Socialism
  • Three Days at the Brink
  • The Andromeda Evolution (Andromeda #2)
  • Triggered: How the Left Thrives on Hate and Wants to Silence Us
  • Robert B. Parker's Angel Eyes (Spenser, #47)
  • With All Due Respect: Defending America With Grit and Grace
  • Unfreedom of the Press
  • Edison
  • The Deserter (Scott Brodie & Maggie Taylor)
  • Radicals, Resistance, and Revenge: The Left's Insane Plot to Remake America
  • Witch Hunt: The Story of the Greatest Mass Delusion in American Political History
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • The British Are Coming: The War for America, Lexington to Princeton, 1775-1777
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • Justice on Trial: The Kavanaugh Confirmation and the Future of the Supreme Court
  • Miracle at Midway
As cohost of FOX & Friends, the number one rated morning program on cable television for the past nine years, Brian Kilmeade shares his unique perspective on the daily news. He has interviewed the biggest names in politics, sports and entertainment, often securing exclusive content.

Kilmeade played a large part in FOX ís coverage of September 11th, as well as coverage including reporting from