Start by marking “Our Last Goodbye” as Want to Read:
Our Last Goodbye

Our Last Goodbye

A heart-wrenching, poignant and totally unforgettable tale of a young woman who must finally face up to the secret she has hidden for a lifetime. A beautiful World War Two novel for fans of Wives of War, Lisa Wingate and Diney Costeloe, that will have you reaching for the Kleenex.

1943, England: On a foggy night during the blackout, twenty-five-year-old May Robinson watche
Published May 29th 2019 by Bookouture (first published May 24th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Our Last Goodbye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Last Goodbye

Start your review of Our Last Goodbye
Brenda
Although not marked as such, Our Last Goodbye is the sequel to The Orphan Sisters by author Shirley Dickson, which I loved. I recognized the characters straight away, and so continues the tale of Etty, her sister Dorothy and Etty’s best friend May.

The devastation May felt when her mother was killed during the blackout when they were on their way home after a night out for her Mam’s birthday was shocking. She didn’t know how she’d cope – and her father wanted nothing to do with her or her young
Alayne Emmett
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a lovely book to read and I enjoyed reading it. It was sad at times but on the whole made me smile.
The descriptions of how life was during the Second World War made me realise that life must have been scary and harrowing all the queuing for food which was so rationed and not having coal to keep you warm in the winter together with the air raids must have been extremely hard.
I recommend this book if you want a lovely book to read on a summer afternoon.
My thanks to Netgalley and the
Robyn
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Our Last Goodbye is another unputdownable and emotional World War II story by Shirley Dickson. I didn't realize, at first, when I picked up this story to read that it is actually a sequel to The Orphan Sisters, which I absolutely loved. This time around we learn more about May and her life during the war that begins shortly after the ending of The Orphan Sisters.

Shirley Dickson has such a way of easily drawing you into a story with her beautifully written text that is both honest and heartfelt.
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Right from the opening chapter I could sense just what an emotional journey the author was going to take me on. May, my heart went out to as she has a lot on her plate for someone so young.

The author weaves a tale of which had me spell bound. From picking the book up, I didn’t want to go anywhere as I was so wrapped up in the era that I had been transported to. You could feel the emotions from the characters and their hopes and worries about the war.

There are some lovely characters in the story.
Sandra
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic book i have loved this beautiful story of May,Etty,Maureen and all the others who feature in this beautiful story of fighting to survive without the help of parents.May has dreamed of becoming a nurse and has now decided to follow it.Along the way life goes on May is thrilled to be training to be a nurse and makes friends Maureen becomes close to May.While training May meets a porter Richard they chat but there is something that draws them together.I don't want spoil this fabulo ...more
booklover BEV
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful

May Robinson and her mam have just had a night out,then tragedy strikes as her mam is struck by the corporation trolley bus, and instantly killed. Its 1943 in south shields, living at home with her drinking dad who's never there, her brother's away fighting or evacuated. May works long hours at the factory making instruments for aeroplanes. The only person she has to rely on is her best friend Etty Milne. Sick of working at the factory she applies for training as a probation nurse at Ca
Stina
I read Shirley Dickson's debut novel "The Orphan Sisters" earlier this year and I absolutely loved it! So I was thrilled when I began OUR LAST GOODBYE to discover it picked up with familiar characters such as May, Etty, Derek and the Newmans as well as the introduction of some new faces. But this time, rather than Etty's story, we follow May and her journey.

From the first pages, OUR LAST GOODBYE is an emotional, heart-wrenching story of love and loss amidst the horror of war during WW2, set in
Julie
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shirley's first book was the story of Etty and her sister who were abandoned in an orphanage (The Orphan Sisters) and this book tells the story of their friend May. From the outset, we know this will be an emotional journey as may's mother is killed in a tragic accident on the way home one night. From then on, May has to deal not only with losing her mother but also her home. The secret she's been keeping from everyone also threatens any future relationships, yet it is her best friend Etty who k ...more
Karren  Sandercock
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to NetGalley, Bookouture and Shirley Dickson for my digital copy of her new book Our Last Goodbye.

England 1943, on a foggy night May Robinson and her mum are walking home in the WW II blackout after a night out at the pictures when her mum is tragically killed in an accident.
May's father is a hopeless drunk and her young brother Derek has been evacuated to Hillcrest farm in Allendale and is being looked after by Maud and Alf Talbot.

May is very close to her mother, she finds it very hard t
Sharon
This is the second book written by this author, and the sequel to her first book, The Orphan Sisters. The story follows on from the first book, following, this time, the story of May Robinson. May featured in The Orphan Sisters as the main character, Etty’s best friend. The year is 1943 and, and war is still raging throughout Europe. 25 year old May’s mother has been killed in a tragic accident and vowing to make her mother proud, May enrols as a trainee nurse at the local hospital. While she’s ...more
Louise
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It doesn’s say in the blurb but as soon as I started reading the book I knew that I recognised the characters from a previous book which I reviewed called The Orphan Sisters.

This novel works fine as a standalone, Shirley Dickson does a great job of bringing the reader up to speed. However, I do recommend that you read the first one because it is just too good to miss.

Devastated by the loss of her mother and abandoned by her father, May Robinson is then given some news by friend Etty, which total
Jackie
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is an absolute treasure beyond words! From page one I couldn’t put it down! May’s story of true sadness and loss during World War Two brought me to tears! Her journey was a difficult one. she had to put all of herself into finding Hope even when there was none. She fought so hard to be the woman her mother would be proud of. And even in her darkest of times she found a way to have her most precious dream come true. The ending was pure joy for me as I felt when all Hope seemed lost, May ...more
Diane
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It told about the life of May Robinson, who after the tragedy of her Mum’s death decides to train as a nurse. It is set during World War Two and it’s a rollercoaster of emotions. Shirley writes in such a way you are drawn into May’s life, and you go through the heart felt journey with her. I highly recommend this book
Deanna Walker
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Netgalley for the advanced copy....

Oh how I love this beautiful cover! It was amazing storyline about May Robinson....I remember the characters from the ‘Orphan Sister’ book and never forget that too..

Can’t wait to read more book from this author soon...
Elissa
May 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book is just rehashing plot points of other WWII books. The characters fell flat and often behaved opposite of how their character was described. Plot points were introduced and then forgotten.
mois reads
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
May

I really enjoyed this book loved how may has developed into a more confident young woman definitely worth 5 STARS .
Olivia
Dec 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: other-reviews
OUR LAST GOODBYE is a historical fiction read set around WWII. May is a young woman who loses her mother when she is abruptly killed in an accident after they went to the movies. May is really thrown by her death, but she is forging ahead when life throws her for some more loops, as her father is quick to remarry and leave behind Derek.

As May is trying to find her footing, she decides to pursue her dream of becoming a nurse, and begins the process. After she is accepted into the training, her li
7$MartyQ
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very Nice Story

Very clever ending to this story. The author paints a picture of a woman who has seemingly everything that could go wrong in life go wrong and when, inadvertently things end up going right you are almost feeling relieved because you're used to reading how all May had in life was seemingly finding some way to cope,
Sandra McKenna
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
A well written World War II saga.

A heart breaking saga set in Northern England during World War II.
May, a factory worker, is faced with a sudden loss, and must decide where her future lies. She also is harbouring a secret, but it could hurt several people if it is revealed.
This well written saga tells of the hardships and uncertainties that people of that era had to endure.
Sheri
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
it started out slow, but overall a good book. I also enjoyed her first book
Helen Bruggeman
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It ended too soon

By the time I had read ten pages, this book had grabbed me and pulled me into its pages. When I finally emerged over 300 pages later, I wasn't ready to leave South Shields. May, Etty, and Richard had become my friends and I wanted to stay with them to see how their lives mended after the war.
Connie G. Lyke
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very nice story with lots of twists and turns. It is a story of overcoming obstacles set in England during WWII. I enjoyed the character development and the settings. It held my attention from page 1 on. I hope this author follows these characters to the next stages of their lives. I would look forward to reading more about them.
Sue McQuaide Kitt
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Our Last Goodbye is a wonderful and emotional story set in WW2.

This historical novel had all I love in this type of book, romance, suspense and emotional.

I highly recommend this to all fans o historical novels.
Debbie Patten
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't out it down

What a wonderful story of love against the odds and the insurmountable spirit of humanity. This story left me wanting more.
Sandra Snyder
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Constant Reminder of Sacrafice

A beautiful, clean, very gripping story of life and times during this time. Not only has our Country suffered from great personal loss, so many selfless, precious Solders in many other Countries have died in a battle field. As a Mother of 1 Female Veteran, and 2 Male Veterans, this touched my soul and heart, and made me thankful every day they all came home...Alive,but, all 3 suffered from PTSD.
I would love to read more from this Author, thanks, great reading.
Rachel
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Our Last Goodbye by Shirley Dickson is a wonderful historical novel set in Northeastern England during 1943-1944. It revolves mainly around May and her surrounding friends and family. It describes the trials, heartbreak, and happiness that surround her as she discovers herself, what she wants out of life, and how she can be a better person to her friends and family and coworkers/fellow students (while she is training to be a nurse).
I will not spoil any more of the story, but I feel as if I coul
Pam
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Our Last Goodbye: An absolutely gripping and emotional World War II historical novel was written by Shirley Dickson. This novel and its sequel tells the story of three young ladies in England during World War II. It is very well researched and extremely well written. The emotions that run high through this book resonate with the reader. Tissues are needed during the reading. It is an excellent book and great reading.
May Robertson lives with her parents and younger brother while working in one o
Dee
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sequel to The Orphan Girls

I didn’t know it was a sequel when I started reading this book but all the characters were so familiar as I had just read The Orphan Girls. I advise you to read that one first, and then this one. Then you’ll have the full experience with the characters.
Gretchen Vandeneynden
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Her book one main character was Etty. This book was about May. May seemed to have a very difficult life. When she was young, she had a crush on a man she was madly in love with named Billy. She had a baby by him. He left her. Because of the stigma attached to a woman and her "bastard" child, May's Mam raised the child as her own. May's Maam died and May's Dad remarried and threw May out of the house. May also learned her best friend Etty had a baby by the man who May adored. May eventually set a ...more
Gaele
May has taken her mother out for a film to celebrate her birthday, but fog and the blackout lead to her mother falling off the curb and being hit by a trolley. . Devastated and feeling very alone, May is just moving through life, with no real firm plans, only a vague belief that she will, one day, be reunited with Billy and marry. But with her father having moved on to another woman, and her own position in the house jeopardized, she’s decided to take a chance at being a nurse. Egged on by her b ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• When I Was Yours
  • Into the Darkest Day
  • The Fortunate Ones
  • The Forgotten Girls
  • What Only We Know
  • Daughters of War (The War Nurses #2)
  • The Ops Room Girls (The Women's Auxiliary Air Force #1)
  • The Oceans Between Us
  • When We Were Brave
  • The Girl Without a Name
  • Under a Sky on Fire
  • The Child On Platform One: Inspired by the children who escaped the Holocaust
  • The Girl I Left Behind
  • Wedding Bells on Victory Street (The Bryant Sisters #2)
  • Cry of the Heart: A World War II Novel
  • The Wartime Nanny: A totally unputdownable World War 2 historical novel
  • The War Nurses (The War Nurses #1)
  • The Stolen Letter: A completely gripping and emotional World War 2 historical novel
Shirley Dickson is the author of The Orphan Sisters, her debut novel.
She lives under the big skies of Northumberland with her husband, family and lucky black cat.

She wrote her first short story at the age of ten for a childrens' magazine competition. She didn't win but was hooked on writing for a lifetime.

For many years she wrote poetry and short stories and got many rejection slips.
Shirley de