Start by marking “A Mind of Her Own” as Want to Read:
A Mind of Her Own

A Mind of Her Own

3.15  ·  Rating details ·  8,079 ratings  ·  1,018 reviews
Listening time: 1 hour and 15 minutes

From Paula McLain, the best-selling author of The Paris Wife and Love and Ruin, comes a breathtakingly intimate story of the brilliant, willful Marie Curie - a young woman in Paris on the verge of her greatest discovery yet: herself.

Paris, 1893. Twenty-five-year-old Marie Sklodowska is studying science at the Sorbonne - one of the only
Audible Audio, Unabridged, 2 pages
Published February 28th 2019 by Audible Studios (first published 2019)

·  8,079 ratings  ·  1,018 reviews

Start your review of A Mind of Her Own
Brandice
Mar 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Hate to say it, but I felt letdown by A Mind of Her Own, an Audible original about Marie Curie. The description and short length initially intrigued me, however, it did not hold my interest like I hoped it would.

I thought A Mind of Her Own would be the story of Marie Curie, a smart, independent, academic woman and her accomplishments. There were traces of that storyline here, but not nearly enough. It turned to the theme of love, and was not a compelling love story, to me anyway. I feel like th
Olivia Bartlett
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Interesting, but it seems to defeat its own message. Throughout, the message is about Marie’s equal or greater ability compared to men and her intense dedication to her work, but the whole piece is written around her romance with Pierre, completely reducing her to a love story and not at all reveling in the amazing advances she made.

I came for the science and a short biography, not a love story.
Jean
This is a very short story. The story takes place in Paris, France in 1893. Marie Sklodowska, (1867-1934) from Poland, is studying science at the Sorbonne. This book is limited to only the love story between Sklodowska and Pierre Curie (1859-1906), a young physicist. This is not a biography of Marie Currie; it only covers one aspect of her life. The Sorbonne was one of the first universities to allow women to attend and to confer a degree to them. The novella is well written. It is concise and f ...more
Chrissie
Mar 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
In a nutshell--don't waste your time on this even if it is free.

Look at the title--A Mind of Her Own. Do you see the so very popular feminist angle being promoted? The novella has a feminist tone with an added love intrigue.

Look at the first sentence of the GR book description: ”From Paula McLain, the best-selling author of The Paris Wife and Love and Ruin, comes a breathtakingly intimate story of the brilliant, willful Marie Curie - a young woman in Paris on the verge of her greatest discovery
Mara
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
The least interesting thing (to me) about Marie Curie is how Pierre went about courting her… Just saying.
Erin
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Audiobook narrated by Hilary Huber 1h 15 mins 47 seconds

One of my Audible Original selections for March 2019, A Mind of Her Own is the story of Marie Sklodowska as she was during her studies at the Sorbonne in Paris. During Marie's youth her home country of Poland was overrun by Russian rule and women were barred from post secondary studies. So France was the dream destination for a woman who was fascinated by the new theories in Science and technology. Paula McLain shows us that Marie was a
Natasha Niezgoda
Eh. Not my favorite. It was a surface-level love story. The intelligence and achievements of Marie Curie were secondary to the focus of this relationship with Pierre.

The faux-accents throughout the audiobook were very distracting. I just couldn’t get into. Because of the short nature of this piece, there wasn’t enough depth to build any emotional connection to the characters and the storyline was too choppy to follow along with.

Unfortunately, for me, I had to stop listening.
Montzalee Wittmann
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Mind of Her Own by Paula McLain and narrated by Hillary Huber is a fictitious take of how the couple known for discovering radiation found each other and fell in love. Based on facts.
Good narration.
Rachel Aranda
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of my Audible Original selections for March 2019, "A Mind of Her Own" is the story of Marie Sklodowska as she was during her studies at the Sorbonne in Paris, and when she meets her future husband Pierre Currie. Ms. McLain is a well-known historical fiction novelist, so I know many people were excited about seeing what she would do with this subject matter. Madame Marie Currie is probably the most well-known scientist in world history. There is no denying that her subject matter and writing ...more
Kenny
May 19, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It can't be easy to make Marie Curie in a boring, sniveling character, but Paula McLain managed to pull it off.
Linda Hart
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Many thanks to Audible Originals for this free March short selection. This is a 1.5 hour story about Marie Sklodowska, a 25-year-old from Poland, before she married Pierre Curie and became world-renowned for her pioneering research on radioactivity. It's a believable story of what it was like to be a woman in the male-dominated world at the Sorbonne University, Paris, 1893. This is not a comprehensive story, but a microscopic view of a very small period of time in Madame Curie's life, with an en ...more
Marshall Wayne Lee
Paula McLain's _A Mind of Her Own_ receives four stars from me due to the lovely narrative skill, and the wise choice in subject matter.

First, since this is an Audible recording, a comment about the reader. Hillary Huber is the reader for this text. She has a good voice, and narrative skill. I think her interpretation was excellent. I'd listen to her again. She did a few small accents and that added to the experience.

Second, the story and author. I'd like to know what McLain is basing this text
Marialyce
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, this book was missing all the things I was so hoping to learn about Marie Curie. I truly enjoyed this author's The Paris Wife, but this story seemed more like a vignette and not truly a book that gave us knowledge and details about Marie.

Sadly, it is not one I recommend.
Tania
3.5 rounded up to 4 stars. Another short audible original about Marie Sklodowska time at the Sorbonne. It provides some information on the time, her background and also the start of her relationship with Pierre Curie.

There's quite a few very low GR ratings for this book, but I really enjoyed it. I liked the writing, and although it was short and didn't really reveal too much about everything she would achieve, it got me interested in reading more about her life. Because I enjoyed the writing so
Bonnie Shores
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
This was a super-short story about Marie Curie before she married Pierre and became the world-renowned scientist we are all familiar with. It begins and ends with her time at the Sorbonne, giving us insight into the many difficulties she endured as a woman in a male-dominated world/field.

I only wish it was longer... 😥
Rissa
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
She just wanted to learn and no man was going to get in her way.
It was simple and short. If it were longer I think they could have done a better job. Because the characters were not developed and the plot was rushed.
Thomas
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a nice little short story about a young Marie Curie on the cusp of her brilliant career and how she met her future husband, Pierre Curie.

It does a nice job of describing the colossal challenges that any woman in the late nineteenth century would be up against to succeed in science. Pierre comes across, at times, is a bit too good to be true, but he must've had plenty going for him because he did win her heart in the end and they did become the first couple of science. Also, the story do
Cori
Apr 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
I continue to be largely underwhelmed by the Audible originals. I'm not sure what I expected from an Audible original barely over an hour long about Marie Curie, but somehow it wasn't this. I think I expected the content to be largely focused on her life as a whole with her budding relationship with her future husband to be just one facet of the story. It was the whole thing.

In fact, this read like a G rated steam punk romance fiction novella. It was odd. Can't say it felt worth the time or the
Sara
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
مراجعة الكتاب:https://youtu.be/uPbxxITSspk?t=254

I am a collector of anything about Marie Curie!
She has been my role model since I was in fifth grade and read about her story for the first time, so no wonder I picked this audio about her.
I saw her house in Warsaw when I was there and was interested to know more about her, yet this audio just gave me a quick review about her and the narrator was a bit boring.
I loved that the scientists thought back at that time that they discovered everything and
Pixelina
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio
Marie Curie always seemed like such an interesting person but this novella or whatever it is (audible freebie) hardly mention her work, just a few footnotes. This is instead a romance, not what I expected.

It wasn't horrible but oh so trivial.
Frank Privette
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
I have only a rudimentary, high-school-level knowledge about the life and work of Marie Skłodowska Curie. And of course I knew about Pierre and his obvious importance. My low rating is not to minimize him. However, this very short novella, I feel, serves mostly to minimize her and portray her life as a somewhat drawn-out love story. And to turn her into a reluctant and grumpy-cum-seduced, albeit bright, scientist.

To make matters worse, the audiobook narration is monotonous and lifeless.

A missed
Moonkiszt
Just a snack of a book. A pamphlet. . .she's really stubborn and then she's not and after that the rest of her life is contained in one sentence. . .I'm not convinced that I shouldn't have really been spending that time on an actual, full biography of Marie. This doesn't work as a summary, and it really doesn't as a teaser either.
Heino Colyn
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio
A very short story about a single aspect of Marie Curie's life - just enough to pique my interest and to realize I don't know that much about her. Might be on the lookout for a book about her soon!

Also, PIERRE JUST TEACH HER HOW TO LOVE!
Tracy
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is a 1.5 hour (approximately) Audible Original. It was ok. Didn't blow my mind. It's about Madam Curie which I thought could be interesting. Again, it's not bad. I just found it hard to get into. The recording also wouldn't play the last 2 minutes. I'm sure Audible would handle that for me if I called, but I think I'll just move on.
Gizem-in-Wonderland
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pierre : “All I want from you is your time.”
Marie : “What is more important than time?”

This was one short story about one of the most influential female characters in the history of time. The first lady of science, who was the first to have ever received two different nobel prizes.

I love reading about women of strength and this was an outstanding audiobook journey for me. I loved the way she was represented in the story as a strong woman of firm belief and respect for science, who does not give
Andy
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
This book healed my ears after listening to the trash narrator of The Book of Awesome Women: Boundary Breakers, Freedom Fighters, Sheroes and Female Firsts. A Mind of Her Own follows Marie Sklodowska as she begins her student training at the Sorbonne and meeting Pierre Curie.

I loved seeing how much Marie cared for her studies and how passionate she was for science. It felt like I was truly reading about a kindred spirit. It's so hard for me to imagine the challenges she faced simply attending s
Sarah Booth
Aug 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
a very short novela about the early life of Marie Curie. She was a devoted student who was a bit brusque so that everyone knew that she wasn't fooling around and was really all about science. It was a time when women were no only scarce in the field, but often resented and ignored. A woman was expected to be a wife and mother and that was really about it. Then comes Peter Curie. He feel in love with her mind and eventually she realized that she could have a real partnership with him one with sci ...more
Zack
Mar 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
I don't know that much about Marie Curie and was really looking forward to getting to know her and her accomplishments a little bit since this is definitely an area where my own knowledge is lacking. Instead I got a melodrama focused on one very slim segment of her life that, I feel, actually undercuts the importance of her accomplishments for women in science. The ultimate focus of this little book ends up being her relationship with her husband, which detracts from its ability to emphasize jus ...more
Elizabeth (Lizzy)
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
I wasn’t expecting this book to be so focused on the romance. I really thought it was going to be more about her life anyway, the only good thing was the narrator.
Johanna
Mar 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
This was an Audible Original this month, so I thought it would be a fun short story, a good opportunity to learn a little about Marie Curie as a person. The narration was really robotic and completely unrelatable. There were portions of the story where the narrator's performance was okay, so I'm curious why the bulk of it ended up sounding like I had asked Alexa to read me the book. The story itself was not compelling either. The characterization was pretty weak, which seems odd for a book that ...more

• The Demon Next Door
  • Elizabeth II: Life of a Monarch
  • Folsom Untold: The Strange True Story of Johnny Cash's Greatest Album
  • Sakina's restaurant
  • Wishes and Wellingtons
  • The 3-Day Effect
  • Killer by Nature
  • The Dispatcher
  • More Bedtime Stories for Cynics (Bedtime Stories for Cynics, #2)
  • Evil Eye
  • The Darkwater Bride
  • Rivals! Frenemies Who Changed the World (Rivals!, #1)
  • The Beautiful Brain
  • Black Crow, White Snow
  • Lucky Suit (Sexy Suits, #1)
  • True West
  • Dodge & Twist: A Sequel To Oliver Twist
  • A Grown-Up Guide to Dinosaurs
Paula McLain is the author of the New York Times and internationally bestselling novels, The Paris Wife and Circling the Sun. She’s also published two collections of poetry, Less of Her and Stumble, Gorgeous, the memoir Like Family: Growing Up in Other People's Houses, and a first novel, A Ticket to Ride. She received her MFA in poetry from the University of Michigan in 1996, and has since receive ...more