Start by marking “A Mind of Her Own” as Want to Read:
A Mind of Her Own

A Mind of Her Own

Listening time: 1 hour and 15 minutes

From Paula McLain, the best-selling author of The Paris Wife and Love and Ruin, comes a breathtakingly intimate story of the brilliant, willful Marie Curie - a young woman in Paris on the verge of her greatest discovery yet: herself.

Paris, 1893. Twenty-five-year-old Marie Sklodowska is studying science at the Sorbonne - one of the only
Audible Audio, Unabridged, 2 pages
Published February 28th 2019 by Audible Studios (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about A Mind of Her Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Mind of Her Own

Brandice
Mar 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Hate to say it, but I felt letdown by A Mind of Her Own, an Audible original about Marie Curie. The description and short length initially intrigued me, however, it did not hold my interest like I hoped it would.

I thought A Mind of Her Own would be the story of Marie Curie, a smart, independent, academic woman and her accomplishments. There were traces of that storyline here, but not nearly enough. It turned to the theme of love, and was not a compelling love story, to me anyway. I feel like th
Olivia Bartlett
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Interesting, but it seems to defeat its own message. Throughout, the message is about Marie’s equal or greater ability compared to men and her intense dedication to her work, but the whole piece is written around her romance with Pierre, completely reducing her to a love story and not at all reveling in the amazing advances she made.

I came for the science and a short biography, not a love story.
Erin
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Audiobook narrated by Hilary Huber 1h 15 mins 47 seconds

One of my Audible Original selections for March 2019, A Mind of Her Own is the story of Marie Sklodowska as she was during her studies at the Sorbonne in Paris. During Marie's youth her home country of Poland was overrun by Russian rule and women were barred from post secondary studies. So France was the dream destination for a woman who was fascinated by the new theories in Science and technology. Paula McLain shows us that Marie was a
Natasha Niezgoda
Eh. Not my favorite. It was a surface-level love story. The intelligence and achievements of Marie Curie were secondary to the focus of this relationship with Pierre.

The faux-accents throughout the audiobook were very distracting. I just couldn’t get into. Because of the short nature of this piece, there wasn’t enough depth to build any emotional connection to the characters and the storyline was too choppy to follow along with.

Unfortunately, for me, I had to stop listening.
Chrissie
Mar 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
In a nutshell--don't waste your time on this even if it is free.

Look at the title--A Mind of Her Own. Do you see the so very popular feminist angle being promoted? The novella has a feminist tone with an added love intrigue.

Look at the first sentence of the GR book description: ”From Paula McLain, the best-selling author of The Paris Wife and Love and Ruin, comes a breathtakingly intimate story of the brilliant, willful Marie Curie - a young woman in Paris on the verge of her greatest discovery
Mara
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
The least interesting thing (to me) about Marie Curie is how Pierre went about courting her… Just saying.
Marshall Wayne Lee
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Paula McLain's _A Mind of Her Own_ receives four stars from me due to the lovely narrative skill, and the wise choice in subject matter.

First, since this is an Audible recording, a comment about the reader. Hillary Huber is the reader for this text. She has a good voice, and narrative skill. I think her interpretation was excellent. I'd listen to her again. She did a few small accents and that added to the experience.

Second, the story and author. I'd like to know what McLain is basing this text
Marialyce
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, this book was missing all the things I was so hoping to learn about Marie Curie. I truly enjoyed this author's The Paris Wife, but this story seemed more like a vignette and not truly a book that gave us knowledge and details about Marie.

Sadly, it is not one I recommend.
Rachel Aranda
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of my Audible Original selections for March 2019, "A Mind of Her Own" is the story of Marie Sklodowska as she was during her studies at the Sorbonne in Paris, and when she meets her future husband Pierre Currie. Ms. McLain is a well-known historical fiction novelist, so I know many people were excited about seeing what she would do with this subject matter. Madame Marie Currie is probably the most well-known scientist in world history. There is no denying that her subject matter and writing ...more
Bonnie Shores
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
This was a super-short story about Marie Curie before she married Pierre and became the world-renowned scientist we are all familiar with. It begins and ends with her time at the Sorbonne, giving us insight into the many difficulties she endured as a woman in a male-dominated world/field.

I only wish it was longer... 😥
Rissa
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
She just wanted to learn and no man was going to get in her way.
It was simple and short. If it were longer I think they could have done a better job. Because the characters were not developed and the plot was rushed.
Thomas
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a nice little short story about a young Marie Curie on the cusp of her brilliant career and how she met her future husband, Pierre Curie.

It does a nice job of describing the colossal challenges that any woman in the late nineteenth century would be up against to succeed in science. Pierre comes across, at times, is a bit too good to be true, but he must've had plenty going for him because he did win her heart in the end and they did become the first couple of science. Also, the story do
Pixelina
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio
Marie Curie always seemed like such an interesting person but this novella or whatever it is (audible freebie) hardly mention her work, just a few footnotes. This is instead a romance, not what I expected.

It wasn't horrible but oh so trivial.
Tracy
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is a 1.5 hour (approximately) Audible Original. It was ok. Didn't blow my mind. It's about Madam Curie which I thought could be interesting. Again, it's not bad. I just found it hard to get into. The recording also wouldn't play the last 2 minutes. I'm sure Audible would handle that for me if I called, but I think I'll just move on.
Jodi
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I should have known better. Audible offers something "free" with membership, and I should just say no. While that isn't entirely fair, and I've enjoyed several of their free exclusives. This doesn't make the cut. I'd previously read The Paris Wife by the same author. At least that gave me some idea of what to expect writing style wise, and to what extent the phrase "based on a true story" would be stretched into a fictionalized tale, right? No, I was not prepared. It baits you with the potential ...more
Zack
Mar 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
I don't know that much about Marie Curie and was really looking forward to getting to know her and her accomplishments a little bit since this is definitely an area where my own knowledge is lacking. Instead I got a melodrama focused on one very slim segment of her life that, I feel, actually undercuts the importance of her accomplishments for women in science. The ultimate focus of this little book ends up being her relationship with her husband, which detracts from its ability to emphasize jus ...more
Elizabeth (Lizzy)
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
I wasn’t expecting this book to be so focused on the romance. I really thought it was going to be more about her life anyway, the only good thing was the narrator.
Moonkiszt
Just a snack of a book. A pamphlet. . .she's really stubborn and then she's not and after that the rest of her life is contained in one sentence. . .I'm not convinced that I shouldn't have really been spending that time on an actual, full biography of Marie. This doesn't work as a summary, and it really doesn't as a teaser either.
Gizem-in-Wonderland
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pierre : “All I want from you is your time.”
Marie : “What is more important than time?”

This was one short story about one of the most influential female characters in the history of time. The first lady of science, who was the first to have ever received two different nobel prizes.

I love reading about women of strength and this was an outstanding audiobook journey for me. I loved the way she was represented in the story as a strong woman of firm belief and respect for science, who does not give
Johanna
Mar 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
This was an Audible Original this month, so I thought it would be a fun short story, a good opportunity to learn a little about Marie Curie as a person. The narration was really robotic and completely unrelatable. There were portions of the story where the narrator's performance was okay, so I'm curious why the bulk of it ended up sounding like I had asked Alexa to read me the book. The story itself was not compelling either. The characterization was pretty weak, which seems odd for a book that ...more
Eli
Mar 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobooks
In 1893 Paris, the young Marie Sklodowska is studying science at the Sorbonne, a university that has recently begun admitting women. There she will meet other women who aspire to greatness as well as a male student, Pierre Curie.

Do not go in to this expecting a sweeping story of Marie finding herself. It is a historical romance novella and too short to get the reader invested in any part of the story or its characters.

(I received this Audible Original for free as part of my monthly subscription.
Terry
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
I had read great reviews about this novella, but it is just okay. If it were longer, dealt more with the science and happenings of the time period it could have been better. I knew it was going to be a short book, and I was okay with that. Sometimes the short Audible Originals are a really nice quick read/listen. I have enjoyed most of them; however, this work, as it is, just leaves you feeling unsatisfied and incomplete.
Michael Huang
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it
A very cute little fictionalized story about how Marie Curie went to Sorbonne and met Pierre Curie; how she was determined to devote her life to science but was eventually persuaded by Pierre that Romance between them need not mean abandoning science for her.
Karen Finch
Apr 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
A book about a famous woman told in the first person. Unless the author used Marie Curies diaries she took a lot of artistic license.

I felt the story was told by a current day feminist trying to apply 2018 concepts / perspective to the 1890s. Why rewrite history? The past is fascinating enough on its own. I’d rather understand what she was really grappling with as a woman in a mans world.

This was offered free off audible. I liked the narrator. Would listen to her again.

Angela
Mar 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
This just fell off of a cliff
Mahlon
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This audible original about the courtship of Marie and Pierre Curie is very well written, but like most originals leaves the reader wanting more.
Avid
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was hesitant to read this seeing so many negative reviews and thrilled I didn't let them persuade me to skip over the book. If you are looking for the story of her accomplishments this is not the book to read. It is a fantastic book about the battle inside herself she went through to accept love and become the Curie we know for her accomplishments. The battle of a war time era, of being a woman, of being from Poland, from education basically not accessible for a woman, $ very scarce, ..... a c ...more
Jackballoon
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audies
Interesting short story
Robin Hatcher
This Audible Original short story (too short for me to call it a novella) is more telling than showing and focuses on Marie's efforts not to fall in love with Pierre. I love the classic film, Madame Curie (1943), starring Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon about the discovery of radium. I would favor that movie over this brief story, but I'm not sorry I listened to the audiobook. There were lots of facts about the time period in the book that were interesting.
Aliaq8
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: rated-2
2.5
Paula McLain is the author of the New York Times and internationally bestselling novels, The Paris Wife and Circling the Sun. She’s also published two collections of poetry, Less of Her and Stumble, Gorgeous, the memoir Like Family: Growing Up in Other People's Houses, and a first novel, A Ticket to Ride. She received her MFA in poetry from the University of Michigan in 1996, and has since receive ...more