Start by marking “Velocity Weapon (The Proctectorate #1)” as Want to Read:
Velocity Weapon (The Proctectorate #1)

Velocity Weapon

(The Protectorate #1)

***SHORTLISTED FOR THE PHILIP K. DICK AWARD***

The last thing Sanda remembers is her gunship exploding.

She expected to be recovered by salvage-medics and to awaken in friendly hands, patched-up and ready to rejoin the fight. Instead she wakes up 230 years later, on a deserted enemy starship called The Light of Berossus - or, as he prefers to call himself, 'Bero'.

Bero tells
Published June 11th 2019 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Velocity Weapon, please sign up.
Roland Haller Hello Isabel, I think I can help here a little. Your confusion comes from a misunderstanding of the word "they" that is not plural by itself but…moreHello Isabel, I think I can help here a little. Your confusion comes from a misunderstanding of the word "they" that is not plural by itself but neutral. Singular they is the use in English of the pronoun they or its inflected or derivative forms, them, their, theirs, and themselves (or themself), as an epicene (gender-neutral) singular pronoun. It typically occurs with an unspecified antecedent, as in sentences such as:

"Somebody left their umbrella in the office. Would they please collect it?"[1]
"The patient should be told at the outset how much they will be required to pay."[2]
"But a journalist should not be forced to reveal their sources."
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singula...)

So actually we use They as a plural pronoun, not because it is so, but because the plurality of individual makes it a neutral group. Cool right!?

But I agree that this sudden rise in frequency of use get some getting used to.

I do like that there is a pronoun for inanimate objects: It, for feminine and masculine entities: She and He, and also for gender unspecified entities: They.

I imagine than in some sci-fi with aliens with a plurality of sexual biological variations like a story based on coho salmon for example (lol), would develop then additional pronouns. I'd like to read that. ^^

Ps: Cool read on multiple gender structured animal societal structures.
https://tinyurl.com/genderedsocieties (less)

Start your review of Velocity Weapon (The Proctectorate #1)
Petrik
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Space Opera fans
ARC provided by the publisherOrbitin exchange for an honest review

An incredibly entertaining start to a new space opera series.

Velocity Weapon is the first book in The Protectorate series by Megan E. OKeefe. This was my first experience reading OKeefes work and I had a fantastic time with it. isnt an easy book for me to review. Its not because I found the book to be disappointing or not up to my preference, but I honestly think that many components of the storyline or what makes this book truly
Emma
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I cant remember the last time I read a book that got me with so many Excuse, me, WHAT? moments. This is one tricksy author. And shes put together more than just a well crafted story, its a genuinely fun reading experience that has you smiling at your own shock as much as whats happening on the page. And therein lies the problem for any kind of review, because you really dont want to be spoiled by any of the specifics before you start. Even more so than usual I mean. This is the kind of
Nils | nilsreviewsit
Ada Primes Casimir Gate filled the sky. Only from this position, she thought, can one truly appreciate the gates beauty. It was massive beyond her ability to articulate even Keeper Station, so large it housed hundreds of thousands, barely managed to eclipse a small stretch of the ring that was the frame of the gate. The light of it had always been Adas guiding star.
~
Velocity Weapon is the first book in the Protectorate series by Megan OKeefe. Hailed as a book that will provide dazzling space
Liz Barnsley
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I inhaled Velocity Weapon in a few hours, it was so much fun, also brilliantly written, dark and beautiful and a rollicking good adventure.
Sanda is a purely wonderful character, having woken up on an intelligent ship years into the future, everyone lost to her. Said ship Bero is a melancholy companion, a kind of virtual Eeyore, their growing relationship is compellingly clever.
Meanwhile back before Bero, Sandas brother searches for her
I loved all the many layers to Velocity Weapon, it is a
Veronique
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stars-4-0, r2019, scifi
Very cinematographic read, full of twists and turns!

The narration is divided mostly between the siblings, gunnery sergeant Sanda stranded alone on an enemy ship controlled by an AI with attitude some 230 years in the future, and her brother Biran, in the present, who tries everything he can, now that he has just joined the powerful Keepers, to find out what happened to his sister and save her.

OKeefe serves up a real space opera, full of action, yes, but also charismatic characters. Sanda and
Kelsea
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, arc
New favorite: ACQUIRED. This book was a whirlwind of plot twists, adventure, interesting characters, politicking, and AWESOME. I loved the diversity (disabled MC, siblings raised by two dads, etc.), the sibling relationship, the sentient ship, the epic story scope, and all of the TWISTS! Yes, Ive mentioned the twists twice, because they really made the book for me.

I love pretty much everything about Sanda. Her grief at finding herself aboard a sentient enemy ship, the sole survivor of a war, was
Peter Tillman
This one started out well, but . . . . kind of tailed off, like she had run out of ideas? And I didn't really connect with any of the characters except the ship AI. Which is pretty cool. But, 500+ pages! For Book #1 of a new series, by a new author. . . .
I'd read something else by her, after she gets her writing chops down, but I gave up on this one about 1/4 in. If you are thinking about reading it, I'd suggest reading some of the other 2 and 3-star reviews. My rating: 2.5 stars for what I
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.5 Stars
Video Review: https://youtu.be/dz0GG6yuIJs

As someone obsessed with space opera, I was eager to read Velocity Weapon, the first book in a brand new space opera series. My excitement only grew when I learned that it was written by a female author with a predominant female protagonist. Further to that, this novel shares the same publisher as my all time favourite science fiction series, The Expanse. Needless to say, my expectations when picking up this new release were incredibly high.
Lindsay
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gunnery Sergeant Sanda Greeve wakes up on an enemy ship, alone, naked and missing a leg. The shocks don't stop there, as the ship she's on is controlled by an AI who tells her that she's slept for two hundred and thirty years and both her civilization of Ada Prime and the enemy civilization of Icarion that the ship is from have both been destroyed in the war between them.

In an alternate story thread in the distant past, Sanda's brother Biren has just found out that Sanda has been lost in a space
Kate
Hugely enjoyable space opera, with fantastic worldbuilding, some great characters and an intriguing starship AI. I really enjoyed the way in which the novel develops - it's twisty and exciting - and while there is a dark foreboding over much of the events, it's also light and fun. I loved Sanda. What a brilliant main character! Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/07/25/...

Velocity Weapon by Megan E. OKeefe was a book I picked up on a recommendation from several reviewers whose descriptions of the book sounded like something I would really loveand Im glad I decided to check it out! As space operas go, it was highly entertaining with some fantastic character development and world-building, and I couldnt have asked for more.

As the story opens, our protagonist Gunnery Sergeant Sanda Greeves
Laura (crofteereader)
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the free ebook! All thoughts/opinions are my own.

It's best to consider this book based on the three perspective characters we follow: Sanda (arguably the main character), Biran (Sanda's brother and a secondary force in her storyline), and Jules (off on her own and completely separate from the rest of the story).

Sanda, despite being a military officer, is rather undisciplined and not particularly believable in that capacity. As a person and the hero
Lisa (A Life Bound By Books)
This book was a beast of a read. Took me forever to get through it but mainly because I was a bit too busy I read for about a week.

Its a great first book in a series. Or maybe part of a duo? Not sure but its thrilling and so interesting and I was lost within the pages every time I was reading.

This book is written in multi-points of view over different times - the past and the present. And the story has multiple threads that weave in and out of each other, that at first I was put a bit off. I
Justine
Jul 01, 2019 marked it as put-aside-for-now  ·  review of another edition
I'm putting this aside for now at 18%. I'm not ready to completely DNF it, but I'm just not feeling it at the moment. I'm pretty sure that this is on me though, and not the book, so I'll probably give it another go sometime later.
Lata
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Did you ever fall in love with a dangerous, somewhat murderous sentient spaceship suffering from trauma? Well, I did, and his name is The Light of Berossus, Bero to his friends.

Or friend, who in this case is Sanda Greeve, gunnery sergeant. Sanda's on board Bero, who tells her it's a few hundred years after a conflict between Ada, her home planet, and Icaria. She's lost everyone she cares for: her younger brother Biran and her two fathers.

This space opera moves fast, and serves up
Acqua
Aug 30, 2019 marked it as dnf-lost-interest  ·  review of another edition
I really couldnt get into this. While Sandas storyline was as far as I read straightforward enough and easy to follow, the book is made of really short chapters, and between two Sanda chapters you always get one or more set before, following other characters. I understood nothing of what happened in those. My threshold for putting up with initially confusing worldbuilding and fictional societies in adult sci-fi usually isn't this low, but nothing about this book made me think the effort would ...more
Faith
I was the wrong audience for this book because I am not usually a fan of space opera, and I abandoned this book at the 35% mark, soon after Sanda made one too many references to Tomass dimples. Up to that point, I had been given very little description of what this world looked like or felt like, and the political structure was very unclear. All of this might improve later in the book, but I wasnt interested enough to keep going. I did skip to the end and discovered that the book ends with a ...more
Paul
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Velocity Weapon is a fast-paced three-act play of intrigue, moral ambiguity, and science fiction fun. It contains everything I look for in Scifi a future that is futuristic in every way: Tech, culture, and space. OKeefe has real talent for describing spacey stuff with everyday metaphors, easy ways of explaining things to laymen like me.

Highly Recommended for fans of space operas. This one is very good and deserves great praise. I grabbed ahold of this book and for two day, I didnt let go.

4.5
Holly (The Grimdragon)
"Fuck."

"You say that a lot, Sanda."

"It's a fuck-y kind of day, Bero."

Velocity Weapon is the first book in The Protectorate series by Megan E. O'Keefe.

Stars smiled on me as I unhinged my jaw and devoured this glorious space opera!

Taking place roughly 1500 years in the future, Velocity Weapon follows three point of views during the aftermath of an attack on an Ada Prime fleet by rivals from Icarion, a neighboring planet.

In a spaceship far, far away awakes Gunnery Sergeant Sanda Greeve. Naked,
Ron
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an extremely fun, space opera with a fast pace that is maintained throughout 500+ pages. I really enjoyed all the POV characters, but especially the interaction between Sanda the stranded Gunnery ship pilot and Bero the A.I. of the enemy ship she is stranded on. I also enjoyed the treatment of Sanda's disability as something that needed to be dealt with, but not as something that she would allow to hold her back. The other POVs were interesting too, but it wasn't clear how all those ...more
Nicole
DNF @ 44%

I tried with this book. I really tried. I wanted to like it, I wanted to at least finish it. But I just don't care about the characters enough to keep reading.

I enjoyed the concept and the worldbuilding, which is why I read as much as I did and why I'm giving this a 2 star rating regardless of the fact that I'm not finishing it. I think this story has merit, but I also think it's not for me. My favorite books are those where I connect with the characters in some way, and so their
Trike
Almost 5 stars, 3 because it just stops rather than come to a satisfying conclusion, with none of the stories having any resolution at all. I suspect once all is said and done this will be a terrific story, but as it stands this is merely the first part. Waiting a year or more for the next installment is annoying. If only she had finished one of the many threads here I wouldve been more pleased.

That said, what is here is terrific. It feels like classic Niven with smart, capable people doing cool
Jeanny
Jun 30, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-releases
Audible version. The book was well written & the narrator did a decent enough job but I couldnt get into this book. The only character that interested me was the spaceship Bero. I was completely uninterested in the Aliens species, the humans, or politics at play. The story arc just fell flat bc I couldnt muster up any interest one way or another. Will not be reading the next book.
DNF 50% skipped ahead to the final chapters & it ends in a cliffhanger.

1 Yawn inducing star ⭐
Tracy
I loved this. Mostly I loved Sanda. From the moment she wakes up in an empty medical bay, until the final moment when Bero disappears. Sanda is smart, tough and really wonderful. I found it took me a while to warm up to the other characters, I found Biran just a little too smooth at first, total politician but he really grew on me. I also found Jules story a bit puzzling, I wasnt sure what was happening there although by the end I was rooting for her too...I cant wait to find out how her story ...more
Christine Sandquist (eriophora)
This review and others can be read on my blog, Black Forest Basilisks.

"In the upper right of her HUD, text flashed: :-P
"Oh my god. They taught you emoticons."
"I had access to the in-system internet."
"Of course you did. Because what better way to introduce a newly created intelligence to the world than through cat pictures and terrible puns."
"I rather enjoyed the puns."
"But not the cat pictures?"
"May I ask you an embarrassing question, Sanda?"
"Those are my favorite kind."
"Are cats... real?"

Where
Ashley
DNF at 43%.

It was a good book but way too long, and got boring as a result. It was a really interesting concept and honestly, I am very very interested to find out how it ends, but it was taking way too long to get there. At times it felt like the plot wasn't moving forward at all.
Sana
Feb 28, 2019 marked it as anti-library  ·  review of another edition
I've yet to read this author's first series but I'm too damn excited for this one (a life story, TBH) because TRAGEDY SIBLINGS AND TIME TRAVEL
Tammy
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The nitty-gritty: Ambitious in scope, with thrilling action and plenty of surprises along the way, Velocity Weapon was a blast from start to finish.

Well that was fun! I started Velocity Weapon not knowing much about it, but it didnt take long to realize that Megan E. O'Keefe has some serious writing chops. The story does take some time to
Jess Crafts
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Free review copy)
An adult scifi with great crossover appeal for those who love YA.

It's action packed with awesome complicated characters set around two planets on the outer edge of the galaxy fighting for use of keeper controlled gateway tech. Siblings Sanda, a gunship pilot, and Biran, a trainee keeper for the protectorate, are both destined for great things but when war between planets explodes they're split up. Sanda is rescued by an enemy AI ship but wakes 200 years later to find both
Aristotle
The Death Star with a conscience

Why do they call books like this space operas?
I keep hearing Andrea Bocelli singing 'Time to say goodbye'
Time to say goodbye to this book.

A sentient ship with a conscience
The Death Star.
Darth Vader issues the command to commence with firing. "Fire when ready." Instead the Death Star opens the bay doors sucking everyone into space killing all on board, except Darth of course. He can not only fly through space but hold his breath for a very long time like his
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Norwescon: Velocity Weapon by Megan E. O'Keefe 4 5 Mar 26, 2020 06:08PM

• The Outside
  • The Cruel Stars (The Cruel Stars, #1)
  • The Last Astronaut
  • Ancestral Night (White Space, #1)
  • Empress of Forever
  • Cry Pilot (Cry Pilot, #1)
  • Fortuna (The Nova Vita Protocol, #1)
  • Silver (Inverted Frontier #2)
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan, #1)
  • Sixteenth Watch
  • Burn Cycle (Cry Pilot #2)
  • Salvation Lost (The Salvation Sequence, #2)
  • Fleet of Knives (Embers of War, #2)
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • Down Among the Dead (The Farian War #2)
  • And Shall Machines Surrender
  • Spaceside (Planetside #2)
  • Edges (Inverted Frontier #1)
Megan E. O'Keefe was raised amongst journalists, and as soon as she was able joined them by crafting a newsletter which chronicled the daily adventures of the local cat population. She has worked in both arts management and graphic design, and spends her free time tinkering with anything she can get her hands on.

Megan lives in the Bay Area of California. She's won the Gemmell Morningstar Award for

The Protectorate (2 books)
  • Chaos Vector (The Protectorate, #2)