Start by marking “The Giver of Stars” as Want to Read:

The Giver of Stars

DON'T MISS THE STANDALONE NEW NOVEL FROM JOJO MOYES, THE NO. 1 BESTSELLING AUTHOR OF ME BEFORE YOU, AFTER YOU AND STILL ME

'Alice had come halfway across the world to find that, yet again, she was considered wanting. Well, she thought, if that was what everyone thought, she might as well live up to it.'

England, late 1930s, and Alice Wright - restless, stifled - makes an imp
Expected publication: October 3rd 2019 by Michael Joseph

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Oct 08, 2019
    SOON TO BE A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE!

Set in Depression-era America, THE GIVER OF STARS is the breathtaking story of five extraordinary women and their re

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 5418 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jul 15 - Aug 05, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Giver of Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Giver of Stars

Mary S. R.
    Historical fiction based on a true story of horse-riding librarians who were the Great Depression’s bookmobiles?
    Diverse young women, their saddlebags full of books, preparing to ride out in vast and often unfriendly terrain or reading to families who had nothing?

Books + librarians + strong diverse women + horses + mountains + hardships + incredible unexplored history + great characters = me being the victim of a very brutal robbery!

I have to be honest, I've read one two three four—FIVE books by
    Jillian Doherty
    Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    If I could give 10 stars, that still wouldn't be enough~

Incredible unexplored history meets well honed characters you become fully devoted to~
    plus throughout the story Moyes weaves incredible literary passages, newspaper or journal snippets, which helps illustrate the journey the characters are living with beguiling clarity.

For fans of the unyielding frontier heroism, for readers of layered history, and incredible character growth and connection - as well as those who adore and/or have never r
    Marisa
    Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    What a wonderful story! JoJo Moyes has done it again.

GIVER OF THE STARS is different than the contemporary fiction that Moyes has written in the past. However even though this novel is based on true events and people it is Moyes's rich character development and the story line of these ladies that drives the novel.

I knew little of the WPA library but love that i learned more about it from reading this novel. The strength and fortitude these ladies showed is incredible. I want to learn more about
    Julie
    Apr 04, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    April 4th 2019: there's a date!
    Expected publication: October 8th 2019. I'm very excited about the newest novel by Jojo Moyes!
    Mary
    Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤ ...more
    Chris Markley
    Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    A celebration of strong women trying to make a life in the world they have been thrown into by men and the Horseback Librarians of Kentucky. When Alice meets Bennett Van Cleeve she is entranced and sees marrying him as an escape from the rigid formality of life in England that she doesn't fit in to. But life in Kentucky is not what she imagined and Bennett changes so completely from the charming man in England. Alice finds an escape from the VanCleeve's by joining the Horseback Librarians. Marge ...more
    Damian
    Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Set in Depression-era America, we follow five extraordinary women (and their horses!) on an unforgettable journey through the mountains of Kentucky and beyond as part of Eleanor Roosevelt's new travelling library.

When Alice Wright marries American Bennett Van Cleve she leaves behind her stifling life in England for a new adventure in Kentucky. All too soon Alice is disenchanted by her new husband and overbearing father-in-law, owner of the local coal mine. So when Eleanor Roosevelt issues a cal
    Hiba Hussain
    Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Oh Lord! Can’t wait to grab this book.. October is still so far away!
    Jay
    Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I've always been a fan of Moyes books. She has employed her considerable talents in character development to a historical story this time around and made a beautiful novel. The history of the Pack Horse Library project in Appalachian Kentucky is not well known outside Appalachia. She has rendered it well, with respect for the culture and the period, and without the stereotypes of illiteracy the story usually underscores. Instead she chooses to focus on the bravery of the women who had to overcom ...more
    Debbie
    Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Jojo Moyes has written a wonderful story depicting a program started by Eleanor Roosevelt during the Great Depression where women delivered books by horseback to residents in very rural areas of our country. She has great character development where you become fully engaged with each and every one. There are wonderful descriptions of the area as well as the role of the woman during this time period. I was unfamiliar with the story of these brave traveling librarians who endured many obstacles in ...more
    Susie
    Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I was beyond thrilled to receive an ARC of this title from NetGalley, as I have read almost everything else that Jojo Moyes has written. So, you’d think I’d be prepared for the book, right?!

But no. Nothing like what I expected. Everything I SHOULD have known would be contained in this perfect, glorious, exquisite book. It has everything. It IS everything. Historical. Based on actual events. Romance. Mystery. A cast so rich and beautifully written even into the third and fourth tier. A landscape
    Don
    Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Releases October 2019. My first novel by Moyes, not my usual fare but...horseback librarians in depression-era eastern Kentucky with a ruthless coal company raping the mountain, how could I resist. Well written and interesting. I didn’t even mind the last chapter neatly wrapping up every character in neat little packages and one ironic ending. I enjoyed the snippets from other publications at the beginning of many chapters, they were an insight to the content.
    Amanda
    Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Upon reading the synopsis of this book, I was immediately intrigued. Moyes has a great skill for making you fall in love with her characters. Reading this story I felt the struggles each woman faced in my heart. I was constantly rooting for them to over-come the challenges they face as they work to deliver books to a rural community.
    Courtney
    Susan Cordeiro
    Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    What I read of this book was very good. Great character development, and an interesting glimpse into the history of the horseback librarians. The ARC wasn't the entire book, so I am looking forward to reading the whole story.
    Thanks You NetGalley for this preview
    Kristen
    Jul 03, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    arc received in exchange for honest review
    Julie Barnard
    Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Although this is very different from the author’s other books, it is very good. Well written, great characters and a really good story.
    Kirsten

EVERYone will want to read this book!!

I highly recommend!

Carole Meyer
    Apr 02, 2019
    Julia Sobral
    Jun 07, 2019
    Temecula Valley B...: Sneak Peek at Jojo Moyes' Upcoming Novel 2 14 Apr 03, 2019 12:19AM
    Jojo Moyes is a British novelist.

Moyes studied at Royal Holloway, University of London. She won a bursary financed by The Independent newspaper to study journalism at City University and subsequently worked for The Independent for 10 years. In 2001 she became a full time novelist.

Moyes' novel Foreign Fruit won the Romantic Novelists' Association (RNA) Romantic Novel of the Year in 2004.

She is mar