Jump to ratings and reviews

Fire's Edge #2

The Rookie

To escape exile, Aidan Paytah has had to prove himself worthy. Every second of every damn day. He fought with everything he had to earn his precarious place on the Huracán team of dragon shifter enforcers. He can't fail or afford distractions, no matter how temptingly sweet. Total loyalty to the clans and dedication to his team is the only way.

Sera Morrison lost her parents and her husband in short order, leaving her a single mother running her family winery alone. Nothing could ever have prepared her for the discovery that she's a destined dragon mate. But once she finds out, there's only one man she wants--the one who walks away.

However, the Alliance Council has its own agenda. They want to use her as a political pawn and force a mating that could ultimately kill her to save the High King. Aidan has no choice but to kidnap her, even if it means their close proximity reinforces their own mating bond. And mating with him could end up being a far worse fate for Sera....

401 pages, ebook

First published April 22, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Abigail Owen

42 books1,606 followers
Multi-award-winning author, Abigail Owen, writes adult paranormal romance & upper YA fantasy romance. She loves plots that move hot and fast, feisty heroines with sass, heroes with heart, a dash of snark, and oodles of HEAs! Other titles include wife, mother, Star Wars geek, ex-competitive skydiver, spreadsheet lover, eMBA, organizational guru, Texan, Aggie, and chocoholic.

Abigail attempted to find a practical career related to her favorite pastime by earning a degree in English Rhetoric (Technical Writing) and an MBA. However, she swiftly discovered that writing without imagination is not nearly as fun as writing with it.

Abigail currently resides in Austin, Texas, with her own swoon-worthy hero, their angelic (mostly) kids, who are growing up way too fast, and 2 adorable fur babies.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 star
4 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 97 reviews
April 28, 2022
Superior story and great audiobook!

The following ratings are out of 5:
Narration: 🎙🎙🎙🎙🎙
Romance: 💙💚🖤💜❤️
Heat/Steam: 🔥🔥🔥🔥
Story/Plot: 📕📗📘📙📔
World building: 🌎🌍🌏🌎🌍
Character development: 😳😬🤬😚🥰

The heroine: Sera - She is a human woman and a widow who owns the winery on the mountain where the Huracán Enforcers make their home. She is a single mother and she knows about the dragon shifters since her best friend and employee, Delaney is now mated to the leader of the Enforcers.

The Hero: Aiden (a.k.a. Rookie) - He is the newest member of the Huracán Enforcers, dragons from different clans that monitor the western half of North America. He earned his position on the team, but many in the Alliance don’t believe he should be an enforcer because he is an orphan. Traditionally orphans are treated nearly as bad as Rogue dragons, because a dragon’s family is who anchored his humanity and kept them from going Feral. But luckily Lyndi found him and gave him a home and kept him from going feral.

The Story: Aiden and Sera have been dreaming about each other for months. However, Sera is planning on selling the winery and moving away because she thinks being around the dragons could be dangerous to her and her son Blake. Things get all messed up after Aiden sees Sera’s eyes shift to dragon eyes. Shifting eyes is dragon sign which means she is a possible dragon mate.

Though their problems increase when the enforcers have no choice but to follow dragon law and send Sera to the mating council (which may be corrupt). This book is just another example of a terrific story by Abigail Owen. I have read a few of the Fire’s Edge series and all of the Inferno Rising series which takes place in the same world and I love each and every one of them. This one has been no different.

To make things even better, this was my first audiobook out of the bunch and I absolutely loved it. Told in dual POV, but two narrators, it was awesome. The narrators were Brian Pallino and Melissa Moran. Brian Pallino might just be my new favorite male narrator. He has a deep raspy voice that is absolutely perfect for just about any male Hero. I could listen to him for days. Melissa Moran also has a very pleasant voice and like Pallino, reads at a good pace and cadence.

Blog|Goodreads|Facebook|Instagram|Twitter|BookBub
Profile Image for Dianne.
6,765 reviews577 followers
April 12, 2019
Grab the asbestos gloves, because Abigail Owen is about to scorch your senses with some sexy dragon shifters and some sizzling romance in the THE ROOKIE. Only a very special few are destined to be dragon mates and the last thing Sera needed was to have very hot dreams about Aidan, she has loved and lost and fears ever loving again. Little does she know, Aidan has some pretty intense feelings for her, too, but his past and his struggle to belong in his clan make him feel less than worthy of finding his mate. As their feelings grow, so do their internal struggles, but when the Alliance Council steps in upon discovering who and what Sera is, they risk the chance of never knowing what they could have been to each other, because Sera could die if she mates with the wrong dragon. Can Aidan convince her he is the one for her or will he have to resort to desperate measures?

Can you say, lots of angst, lots of heat and passions that run full steam ahead? From the sexy dragon shifters to an adorable little boy, this cast feels so close, so real, that you WILL believe in dragons and how hot-blooded they can be!

Step right up and get your paranormal romance while it's hot! Love these dragon shifters!

I received a complimentary ARC edition from Entangled Amara and Abigail Owen!

Series: Fire's Edge - Book 2
Publisher: Entangled: Amara (April 22, 2019)
Publication Date: April 22, 2019
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Print Length: 298 pages
Available from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
For Reviews, Giveaways, Fabulous Book News, follow: http://tometender.blogspot.com
Profile Image for Marta Cox.
2,530 reviews190 followers
April 24, 2019
Next up in this very different series is the book that pulls Aidan and Sera together. Well actually that isn't exactly right as when this story begins Sera has decided to sell her winery and move far away from the Dragons in order to protect her son Blake and give them both a saner and much safer life. Her pretend indifference to Aidan is cracking however and unknown to them all there's a danger to Sera and Blake that none saw coming. Life with fiery Dragons is about to get even more complicated !
Ok I love Dragons and the idea that these are fire fighters just makes this series very interesting. There's good world building here with lots to explore as its very obvious things are heading in a whole new direction as what has been traditional is under threat. Diverse characters add much to the overall plot and there's enough suspense here to happily keep me engaged. I look forward to following the choices that are made but for now it's all about Aidan, Sera and Blake who as this story ends are facing a whole new life !
This voluntary take is of a copy I requested and my thoughts and comments are honest and I believe fair
Profile Image for Jewlsbookblog.
2,083 reviews67 followers
April 22, 2019
Holy smokes! The Boss was a great read, but The Rookie was flipping fantastic! Always an underdog it seems, Aidan had so much working against him from the start and I couldn’t resist cheering every time something good came his way. Sera was a perfect match with her nurturing tendencies and fiery personality and her son, Blake was like mini-Aidan the way he tried emulating him. Because of Aidan’s background, I was already rooting for him as the only choice to be Sera’s match over the rest. What can I say? I’m biased! Seeing his interactions with Blake solidified it, but man, the journey was one heck of a rocky road! Secrets and betrayals come to light, some good, some bad, and heavy decisions are made.

Book two of the Fire’s Edge series, The Rookie was an engaging read! Dragon shifters working as firemen is novelty enough. Add great characterization and an engaging plot and I’m sold! I love the emotional connections, the steamy romance, and the verbal banter between the characters. With his charming antics, Blake was a show stealer, but Sera and Aidan’s romance was an absolute heart stealer. So far, this is my favorite of the series-although Drake may surprise me-and I’m hoping there’s many more stories to come!

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
March 30, 2019
4.5 Stars

This is book 2 of the series but would be ok to read as a stand alone. I am one for following in order and you certainly would miss some of the set up for this story if you don't read the first book.

I love when an author can take the mythology and give us anew twist. Love that these dragon shifters are 'fire fighters'. What better cover--right? We meet Sean and Sera in the first book, There is something happening in the dragon world. What they thought they knew or were told about mates is turning on it's side a bit. Sera becomes a target for a rogue dragon and that's when she is revealed to have a peculiar dragon mark.

Lots of suspense in this one. Some new characters to watch out for. Sera's son is awesome. And Sera and Aiden are just perfect for each other once they finally admit their feelings. This crew has some more fighting to do. The clans and the rogues are not going to make life easy for them.

Really looking forward to reading more in this series!

*Complimentary copy provided for an honest review.
Profile Image for Elizabeth Neal.
1,642 reviews125 followers
April 29, 2019
Aidan, a dragon shifter, is tired of having to prove himself every single day, but he knows his position as an enforcer is still shaky despite showing that he's worthy of it over and over again. In order to maintain his role, he must be completely focused on it and nothing else...but the distraction threatening to steal his attention just might be worth it.

Things can change so quickly, something Sera can attest to. Not only did she lose her parents, but her husband as well, and now she's a single mother grieving and trying to get by while running her family's business by herself. And then she gets another shock, thankfully one that isn't tragic like the others, though it does require an adjustment on her part. She's a destined dragon mate? Say whaaaat?

However, yet again life, or those with their own agendas in this case, conspires against her and instead of embarking on what could be her future, and a happy one at that, she's viewed as a strategic piece on the game board to be moved at the whims of others. Forced into a mating with someone else that could result in her death. Aidan can't let that happen, even if he was unsure about sealing their fates together due to his responsibilities, he refuses to let her be harmed. Kidnapping her might be the easiest part of his plan, but neither are prepared for how being in such close proximity will impact the bond that's already started forming between them.

Can Aidan protect Sera and her son, Blake? Will Aidan continue to deny what could be in favor of a position that doesn't seem to want him? Will he let his past keep him from the future he's meant to have? Can Sera show Aidan there are things that are more important? Is a HEA possible?

One-click now and follow along as two people destined to be together must decide if they're going to fight or embrace their destiny.

**I voluntarily read and reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book.**
Profile Image for Sherry Fundin.
1,724 reviews115 followers
April 26, 2019
Woo Hoo! Back with the smoking hot dragons and I am ready for some romance. I loved The Boss and met Sera. She became a character I wanted to know better and Abigail Owen made it happen.

She has a secret, one even she doesn’t know and I aim to learn it. I may know some of what’s coming, but I can’t wait to learn al the details.

The Rookie is high in suspense with a slow BURNING romance. At times Abigail Owen had me doubting it would happen. Now that’s some great writing, making me question what I know.

Even in the dragon world there is politics and betrayal.

WOW…keeps getting better and better. Can’t wait to see where Abigail Owen will take me next. Keep ’em coming…please.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of The Rookie by Abigail Owen.

See more at fundinmental
Profile Image for BookWormAli.
240 reviews9 followers
March 29, 2019
So Ms Abigail Owen does it for me!
I like Dragon shifter books but lately they have all seemed so similar that I haven't picked one up. This was refreshing. I thought the plot was interesting but was concerned if would end up wooden, girl meets destined mate, mate denies girl for job, politics get involved...It wasn't!

Ms Owen introduces a new version of Dragon clans and caste system. It was intriguing and I found myself feeling for not only Sera but for Aiden as well. I liked that they both were also concerned about Blake Sera's son. They both are struggling with what they should do to put others first. While they end up hurting each other they also never really give up.

I liked that the team dynamic was there and while the three potentials were each unique I couldn't put a true handle on the underlying twist, which was great! I liked that Ms Owen Kept you guessing.

Sera and Aiden deliver in this emotional intense romance. Their story isn't traditional but they learn that it is truly worth fighting for.

I received a copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Christina.
627 reviews22 followers
March 19, 2019
*I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion.

Suspenseful? Check. Intriguing? Check. Ridiculously hot and steamy? Check, check and for extra points, check! I just can't get enough of these Dragon Shifter Enforcers!!!!

Aiden, aka the Rookie, has finally made a name for himself within the Enforcers. It seems like it's been forever, but he's proven himself worthy not only as a friend, but a co-worker who's earned his way in the Enforcer family. After being orphaned and considered rogue, this means more to him than many would ever understand. Which is why having a human woman "get" him is refreshing. Confusing, but refreshing. Add in the fact that he's dreaming about her and fantasizing about a potential future with her and he's got to be down right crazy, right? Or can dreams really come true?

Sera is Delaney's best friend who owns the winery. After her husband died, leaving her a single mother of a very active young boy, she's falling in to a rhythm at the winery. That is until everything changed around her. Once she found out the truth about, not only Dragon Shifters, but her bestie being a Dragon's Mate, she fears that her and her sons safety may be jeopardized. And when her son is caught in a fire, her fears become more of a reality. But what if her future is based on her reality and she feels more at home than ever before?

Did I already mention how I can't get enough of this series? I honestly wasn't sure how this author was going to top the first book (yes, it's that good), but she did!!!! Between the enter turmoil Aiden was dealing with or the absolute love Sera had for her son, everything in between flowed, meshed and blended perfectly for yet another great addition to an already compelling series.

If you're a PNR lover, you'll literally kick yourself if you don't at least pick up the first book in this series.
Profile Image for SheLove2Read.
2,780 reviews175 followers
September 8, 2019
Pretty close to 4 stars. I liked this much more than The Boss. VERY much hoping there's a story down the road for Lindy!
Profile Image for Mary Kirkland.
510 reviews20 followers
April 22, 2019
Aidan is a dragon shifter and a firefighter. Who better to fight fires than a dragon shifter? He's on a team of the firefighter enforcers who are kind of like police for dragons in their territory.

The Mating Council helped women who were destined to be dragon mates. But not all dragons thought they were a good idea or were doing the right thing for the women. The Enforcers reported to the Alliance Council who governed the dragons.

Sera is a single mother with a young son. She also ran a winery and Aidan was very much attracted to her. He thought about her all the time. Sera and Aidan had dreams about each other all the time but they didn't realize that they were having the same dreams, almost like they were in each others dreams. They're both battling their feelings for one another until Aidan realizes she's a dragon mate.

But because she could possibly be the High King's mate, the Alliance tries to force a mating between Sera and the High King in order to save his life even though mating with the wrong dragon will kill her, literally. But someone surprising steps in and offers her his help if she wants it.

I cannot believe it took so long for these two to see what was right in front of their faces. But Aidan thinks there's no way that Sera can be his mate because he's an orphan and there's no way he would be given such a gift above some of these other dragons.

I really loved this book so much. The dragon shifters are really great and I really loved getting to know Aidan and Sera. These two really were made for each other even though it took them way too long to figure it out. There are a couple of outstanding twists towards the end of the book that made me tear up and also made me smile. I've now read 2 books in this series so far and I plan on reading more for sure because I'm loving these books so damn much.

Disclosure: I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book via NetGalley but all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Valencia.
143 reviews32 followers
April 25, 2019
This was the sweetest story! I want to see more of this storyline. Especially with young Blake. I’m happy to say I pegged Hall and Titus right. Im unhappy with where their stories led, but I’m interested in seeing how the author proceeds.
Profile Image for Rolé - Hooked By That Book.
303 reviews5 followers
April 5, 2019
Aiden Paytah is a dragon shifter who has been very focused in becoming a permanent part of the team of enforcers. He can’t afford distractions, and that is exactly what Sera Morrison is. She owns a local winery and after the loss of her parents and her husband, it’s just her and her son. Sera is getting tired of living in fear of constant danger around the dragons, and wants to move away. Aiden and Sera have a very steamy relationship in their dreams, but in real life they try to stay away from each other as much as possible. Until the day they find out that Sera is a potential dragon mate, and her life changes forever.

This dragon world is quite believable and well-defined. I didn’t read the first book, but even without it, there was enough background in this story to give me a good idea of how it all works. The story had some interesting twists and a plethora of bad guys, some of whom were not what they seemed to be.

I liked Sera. She came across as mature and very protective of her only child. Aiden was a bit harder to pin down. At times it felt like he was really young, mostly based on his thoughts. He tries really hard to stay away from Sera, but in the end he just couldn’t. The romance between them felt natural, I suppose because all those shared dreams created the atmosphere already.

I don’t understand why Sera couldn’t know about the brands on her shoulder, or whose families they represented. And she seemed very trusting of a system that she knew absolutely nothing about, one who could potentially force her to mate with a dragon/man she doesn’t want, and where she could get killed in the process. Luckily for her, hotter heads prevailed in this instance, and she was saved from that fate.

The action was fast-paced and fun to read. I would definitely read more from this series.

I received an advanced copy of the book from Netgalley to review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Eva Millien.
3,146 reviews42 followers
5 Star Rookie!
Aidan Paytah has had to prove himself worthy every second of every day and has fought with everything he had to earn his precarious place on the Huracán team of dragon shifter enforcers. After having lost her parents and husband, single mother Sera Morrison runs her family winery alone but nothing could have prepared her for the discovery that she is a dragon mate. With the Alliance Council wanting to use Sera as a political pawn, Aidan has no choice but to kidnap her even though mating with him could end being a far worse fate for Sera.

This dragon shifter romance is very intense and full of thrilling suspense, scorching passion, and a romance that rocks the dragon world. Aidan and Sera are two strong, convincing characters that readers can easily relate to and really want to get to know. The chemistry sizzles with vivid intensity that readers can practically feel from every page but with an unexpected twist, this romance has some seriously impossible seeming obstacles that makes the hair stand up on readers’ necks with all the possibilities of where things could go. This keeps the romance part of this story is constant turmoil right alongside all the emotional turmoil that Aidan and Sera experience due to the possible mating.

This story is fast paced and flows from one thrilling suspenseful moment to the next with a quickness that ensures that readers never experience a dull moment. Surprising twists, rogue dragons and a manipulative agenda keeps the excitement building throughout the story as readers wonder just how this couple could possibly reach for their HEA. In a stunning and moving conclusion, someone decides their own fate and surprises others with their fates, making this one edgy and exhilarating read that readers can’t possible put down.

Profile Image for Sissy's Romance Book Review .
7,514 reviews16 followers
April 23, 2019
The Rookie by Abigail Owen is book Two in the Fire's Edge Series. This is the story of Sera Morrison and Aidan Paytah. I have read the previous books but feel you could make this a standalone book if you wish to do so.
Aidan hasn't had the best of lives but he is a dragon shiftier, that has been working toward being a part of the enforcers. In addition he has been attracted to Sera and dreaming of her but no further. because he thinks as a orphan dragon he would not be bless with Sera. Sera lost her her husband and has a small child, in addition she helps runs a winery. Now Sera learns that she is destine to be a dragon mate which if she gets the wrong mate she may die..but her eye stays to Aidan.
Enjoyed their story.

Profile Image for Linda Romer.
743 reviews46 followers
April 26, 2019
Loved The Rookie! This book was great, I really enjoyed Aidan's story. I love the Huracan Enforces, a great team of Dragon Shifters. These men are strong, brave and protective. Aidan and Sera along with Sera's son Blake were great characters and I loved reading their story. I can't wait to read the next book.

I give The Rookie 5 stars for its great story.
I would recommend this book to Paranormal Romance Fans.
August 7, 2022
This was really hard to get into and I actually almost stopped reading. The kid was fascinating. I was expecting something else and it turned out differently, yeah. The second half of the book was by far better. I thought for a minute a female protagonist going to become stereo typically blah but instead she stepped up to the plate and became more fascinating. I enjoyed the ending.
Profile Image for Shahla's World.
353 reviews7 followers
April 24, 2019

Please note that I received an ARC from the publisher through netgalley. All opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Meghan.
596 reviews56 followers
March 18, 2019
I am so excited to return to the Fire's Edge series with this book! The first book, The Boss, provided a great introduction to all the characters and the fantasy world of firefighting dragons. Really, the second book could have focused on any of the characters from the first book, and I would have been happy. However, I am so thrilled that this book told Sera and Aiden's story, because it was so intriguing when they first met. The reader could immediately feel the connection between them, and their romance put some pep into my step this past weekend. It will truly make your heart feel warm and fuzzy by the time the story ends!

Sera Morrison is at her wit's end living with the constant uncertainty in her life. Between keeping the secrets of the dragon shifters, worrying about the danger they could be putting her son in, and the hot and cold routine from the team rookie, Aiden, she is ready to sell her winery and move far away. But everything changes when she becomes angry with the dragons, and suddenly her destiny is no longer under her control. Aiden Paytah feels an intense attraction to Sera, and the erotic dreams he keeps having of her are getting to be too much for him to handle. He thinks distance is the best thing for them, but when faced with the possibility of losing her forever, he realizes that keeping her close might be exactly what he needs.

Sera and Aiden were both such wounded souls, and they were really good for each other! Sera lost her husband five years prior and had been raising her son on her own, so things were a struggle. And she was angry and frustrated that her attraction to Aiden seemed to be one-sided. When they finally kissed, I just about swooned. In fact, I'm pretty sure I had to put my book down and take a breather - I was that excited! Their romance was a slow burn, starting in Book 1 of the series and obviously continuing in this one. Even after they became closer, I wondered if everything was actually going to work out between them. The added mystery in the story about her status with the team and who was the spy made it all the more intense. Sera's son, Blake, was a great comic relief in the book, especially when parts of the story were really sad or frustrating. The way the dragon shifters interacted with him was awesome and made me fall in love with them all even more.

I'm super intrigued about the next dragon to get a book! I always love a difficult case, and he is bound to be a fun hero to watch struggle with his finding, and keeping, his mate.

**I received a free copy via NetGalley and this is my honest review.**
Profile Image for butterfliesandbooks .
1,431 reviews18 followers
April 19, 2019
I’ve read both the previous books “boss and the mate”. And to be honest, I think you need to read them in order.

Aidan was an orphan, and dragons don’t look too kindly on orphans, too many go rogue. Being in Finn’s Huracan’s team is all Aidan wants, well not all he wants.... Sera had been on his mind since they met months ago. But she’s not on his plan, he wants to show the council that an orphan dragon is just as capable of being a valuable members the community as a dragon brought up with family.

Sera only wants to raise her son and build her business. But after being made aware there are dragons in the world, Sera doesn’t feel safe anymore. She watched her best friend become a mate to Finn (the team leader) as far as she is aware, the Huracan team are like police, judges and firefighters all rolled into one, and when needed, they will dispense justice. Sera is also aware that some human females are compatible with the dragons, and can mate and be together.

So Aidan wants Sera..... Sera wants more from Aidan, but he won’t acknowledge her or their attraction to one another. (But that doesn’t stop him from visiting her in his dreams, in his dreams he can be with her, love her, and talk to her) what’s a girl to do?

Sera is then told by Aidan that she is a rare dragon mate, she doesn’t have one brand in the back of her neck, no, she has three!! Three different clans will be introduced to her, and three of those clans include three dragons in this team!!! (Dragons and human women, need to be compatible, if not, then the woman is consumed from the inside out with fire)
But Aidan isn’t prepared to lose Sera in a missed matched mating, so he kidnaps her, this is going to make his life so much more harder, how can he prove an orphan dragon to be reliable, if he runs off with his new kings mate?!

Being in such close proximity with Sera will surely bring on his own mating bond. But he can’t give in .....

I’m liking this series a lot. A different spin on dragons and their mates. A great team of dragons (that I’m hoping will get stories) and a bad guy that doesn’t seem all that bad (yes he’s starting fires, but he’s trying to save human women from being forced into matings that may kill them)
And the mystery dragon? The one who wants a mate and keeps being thwarted? He thinks he’s entitled to a mate .... He almost had Delaney, and then Sera, it’s getting close. I have my suspicions, I just need the next book 😉

🦋

Profile Image for Tracey.
1,310 reviews65 followers
May 26, 2019
Aidan and Sera's story.

This is book 2 of this dragon-shifter/firefighter series and its flaming good!

Sera and Aidan noticed each other in book 1 and since then they have both been having erotic dreams about each other but neither will make a move when they are awake.

Aiden is the rookie, he had no clan so joined with the firefighters, he feels he has to prove himself more than the others and that this makes him not good enough for Sera, until something happens.

Sera is shocked by the turn of events, it literally turns her life upside down and out of her control.

The storyline has a few twists I didn't see coming and added to my enjoyment of this book. Being book 2 you know the characters more and makes you care more about their outcome.

What's not to like about this book/series, a group of hot men/dragons finding their mates, fighting fires and whoever gets in the way of their fated mates. Great read.

4.5 flaming hot stars
Profile Image for Questian.
574 reviews
May 14, 2019
The 2nd book of the series. And it is the Rookie that has his own HEA...

I was actually was expecting the older ones to have their book. I really like this book. I was not disappointed.

I look forward to what will happen to the other people in the book and if he will be part of the team once more.

@AOwenBooks will Drake have his own HEA? pretty please!!!

Soo love it!
Profile Image for Romance4thebeach.
148 reviews13 followers
April 23, 2019
It’s pretty clear to us readers that Sera isn’t just your average widow looking to protect her young son, Blake. She’s a dragon mate, and her mate is Aidan. Bada boom bada bing. No mystery there. That being said, it’s still a fun ride to see the process of Sera and the rest of the Huracán enforcers discover the truth of what she really is. Something I really appreciated about this book was that it added some surprise elements which truly distinguished it from the previous two novels in the series. We aren’t just dealing with another woman who discovers she has a significant role to play within the world of dragons.

The broken system of the mating process really comes to the forefront in this book. It was hinted at previously in books one and two, but really wasn’t as much of a focus as we see here. We’re starting to understand a bit more regarding the inner workings of this world, and the political aspirations of the Alliance Council which brings possible dragon mates together for the official mating process. In addition, we see how the sheer desperation of these male dragons to find a mate is so strong that it even has the ability to pit teammates again each other. This Huracán team consists of dragon shifters that have fought and flown together for years. They are brothers in every sense of the word. And yet, when Sera appears with the brands of three different dragon clans on the back of her neck, each team member of the relevant clan is overcome with an intense feeling of jealousy and possession over the right to mate with her.

They’re desperate to finally feel that pure emotional and physical connection with another, and the fact it stops them from aging is an added bonus. We can understand how this desperation which has been built into their society could impact one’s ability to determine if someone was actually their true mate, or if their hope at finding her would turn into an unhealthy desire to mate with anyone who might give them that link. The repercussions of mating with someone who isn’t your true mate brings disastrous and traumatic consequences to the extreme. Seeing someone you were convinced was your one true mate burn to ash in agonizing pain in front of you. To live through that, and then be presented with the possibility of another mate? It’s clear how that might make someone go crazy with need.

This brings us to our “villain”. I must say the constant hinting as to the hidden identity of this person was brilliant!! We don’t know who it might be, but then we see the list of possibilities narrowed down to being just one of the other two men whose brand she wears on her neck. While we see things from his point of view, and hear his delusional inner musings about how Sera must be his destined mate, his identity is kept a secret until the very end of the book. Just when you think that maybe a chapter or scene will end with a big reveal of who is thinking these thoughts, we switch to focus on something else. It ramps up the suspense to an amazing level!

I was constantly switching back and forth from thinking it was one dragon, and then in the next scene you start to wonder if it might be the other one. Talk about suspicion whiplash!!! Throughout so much of the book we see this “villain” as someone who has lost grip with reality. You want Aidan and Sera to figure out who it is, and for them to succeed in realizing that they are destined mates. But by the end you see how easy it could be in this world to be overcome with the hope of finding a mate that you could go slightly crazy in the search for it. That desire ultimately pitted this man against his brothers, and it was such a heart breaking realization for him to make in the heat of battle. It’s eventually a surprisingly emotional and touching reveal, I definitely had tears in my eyes.
Profile Image for Sonja.
866 reviews16 followers
April 17, 2019
I didn't quite enjoy this one as much as the first one. The beginning wasn't all that exciting and I'm not sure how much I liked how it all ended. But I loved the mystery behind who was really the one killing the mates and after Sera now. I can't even tell you how many times I went back and forth between who it could have been. We also get more of Rune and I'm starting to like the guy. He's not actually a bad guy, but that mantel was thrust on him by politics. In fact, the more I learn, the more I'm rooting for him.

We all know who Aidan and Sera are so I don't need to go into that. Since everything that happened in the last book, Sera has decided that she needs to distance herself from the dragons and the danger they represent. She has to think of Blake after all. She never did have any interest in the vineyard, so she's been working with Finn to sign it over to Delaney and then she'll walk away from it all. The problem with that plan has to do with a certain rookie. Sera has been having dreams with him where they talk...and do other things. She has fallen hard for dream Aidan, and only wishes that awake Aidan was the same. Even so, it's not enough. Especially when a fire is set in her own home that threatens Blake's life. What Sera didn't know was that the fire was set intentionally to force her to show dragon sign.

The next morning, when arguing with Aidan, Sera's eyes change in front of him and he knows she's a mate. And oh so many problems come with that knowledge. The biggest is the fact that she has THREE marks are her neck. One is indeed Aidan's but he is determined to believe that she is not meant for him. Even though he's been dreaming of her and his world revolves around her and her son. Being and orphan, Aidan has had to work so much harder to prove his worth and earn his spot as an enforcer. He wants to show that others like him are just as good as every other dragon. It's been his driving force for so long. He can't let his feelings for Sera get in the way of that.

From there, everything spirals out of control. Finn is determined to do this the right way after facing so much censor for how he claimed his mate. The alliance is notified, and Sera is taken by her three possible matches to go before them. It's during that trip that the two of them realize that the dreams were real and that they are in fact mates. Which only complicates things more, because no way would they allow Aidan to take a mate. When the alliance shows up to take Sera it all becomes clear they have no intention of doing it the right way and will force her to take who they choose. Proving that Rune is correct in this whole sham being political. In order to save Sera, risks are taken by many and enemies become allies.

When things start to look up for our happy couple, the one behind the deaths of the other mates appears. And chaos ensues. With a rather sad ending. We fast forward some then as the team hears from Aidan and Sera via a video message.

One thing I really wish would have been explained more was the fact that Sera had the three marks. I wanted to know why and if it meant something special or not.

ARC provided by publisher via Netgalley.
Profile Image for Olivia.
2,919 reviews63 followers
March 16, 2019
"The Rookie" is a fun paranormal romance that follows dragon shifters. In this world, dragon shifters are divided by colors with kings and legislative bodies ruling their lives. Groups of dragons made up of different colors work together on teams to fight any supernatural fires set by rogue dragons. The Rookie, Aidan, is one such dragon, working on the same team which was featured in the first book. Dragons are almost entirely male, and the few females that exist are sterile.

Most dragons would potentially mate with a human woman who has the ability to be a dragon mate, which shows up in unusual abilities, such as the woman inadvertently starting fires. The mating process is brutal if the dragon is not matched with an actual mate, and the woman dies. If they are actually mates, then the woman becomes a dragon also with the matched lifespan to the dragon and many other abilities that we are just beginning to learn about.

Sera runs a winery near where Aidan and his team work. She lives with her son, Blake, from a previous marriage (she is a widow). She keeps having dreams about and feeling pulled towards Aidan, but he seems a bit apart. However, as we know from the dual points-of-view, he is also feeling very much the same way.

When Sera begins to show signs of being a dragon mate, the same issues that arose in the first book appear again- with so few women showing signs of being a dragon mate, the legislative body who oversees the mating process is full of opinions that are not always correct/politically motivated and there are plenty of rogue dragons who would try to take her away and mate her.

In a fast-paced plot, this book quickly follows Sera and Aidan to romance. The plot mostly is filled with all the action as lots of things are happening. The relationship building is mentioned but not always detailed. However, I found this ideal and easy to follow with some extra spice from the danger and the steamy romance. I still wish there was more world-building in terms of the complex culture of the dragons. We get a little more in this book, but I still feel like we have so much left to learn about the dragons, their culture, and their oversight. I am hopeful we will keep building upon that in future books. Regardless, that information is not needed to enjoy this romance. I highly recommend for people who like fast-paced paranormal romance/fantasy novels. This series is a lot of fun, and I can't wait for the next installment!

Profile Image for Dicina.
397 reviews25 followers
March 9, 2021
Aidan has lost both his parents at a young age. In the Dragonshifters world no dragon wants to take on another couple’s child, and most of them are left to either die or become rogue which usually leads to death. Aidan’s dream was always to become an Enforcer in the elite team of the Huracans, and was lucky enough to be taken under the care of Lyndie, a female dragonshifter who created the first orphanage for their kind. Now after decades of training he has finally found his place in the Huracan Enforcers, but is still the rookie of the lot, and he knows he still has work to do to prove himself worthy of his place in the team.

He is very attracted to his boss’s wife’s best friend, and knows he cannot act on it, and so feigns indifference around her, except in his dreams where he always meets her and hides nothing about how he feels about her. Sera feels a connection to Aidan but is persuaded that he has no interest whatsoever in her. She is a single mom, and only her son matters, she has no time for a relationship, especially not one with a dragonshifter and his friends, who could ultimately mean danger to her and her son. However every night she dreams of Aidan.

When Aidan discovers that Sera is in fact a dragon mate and that his mark shows on her he dares not believe she might be his.
When it becomes obvious that she is in fact his true mate, and that the Alliance might want to push a mating with the Rotting King even though she might die from it, they call on Rune, the former Enforcer now turned rogue to help them, at the risk to become outcasted themselves.

This book sealed my belief that this series is a keeper. The writing is flawless, I am right there with them in the story, I can visualize the dragons, the shifting, the fighting scenes are beautifully written, and I am dying to know more about Rune and why no one else rallye to his cause.

Aidan and Sera are a beautiful couple. I am not a fan of insta love but in these books it is well done as it is not insta love per se but an attraction, a pull, and they do not act on it right away which is a good thing in my opinion. They take the time to ponder if they are truly made for each other, and with goods reasons because the female dies during the mating otherwise.

This series becomes more interesting with each book and I can’t wait to start the next one !
Profile Image for Patty .
939 reviews7 followers
March 18, 2019
Book 2 in the Fire’s Edge series, it focuses on Aidan and Sera’s story and oh what a beautiful story it is. Sera is Delaney’s best friend and the owner of the winery. She is also a single mother, having been widowed in the beginnings of her son Blake’s life. She is strong and very independent, but as of lately things seem out of character for her. She feels like she is missing something. Maybe the dreams are what she is missing.

Aidan, an orphaned dragon, taken in before he became rogue, has worked very hard to be where he is today. As an enforcer he now carries some respect, but most important of all, he has a place of belonging with a family. His brothers. But there is something else he wants that he can never have, Sera.

The tables turn for Aidan and Sera when the change begins. Aidan notices it in her eyes, but when he finds the family crest marking her skin, he realizes he will never have her if the marks are true. She belongs to another and he would be better off if he just left her alone. But can he?

One thing I can say about these books, is that with each book the story only gets better and better. As the stories of our dragon fire fighters continue, more and more secrets are revealed and the intensity of the story just continues to grow. This book just proves it.

Overall this book was a page turner of epic proportions. Full of twists and turns. Enemies and frenemies. Those who are not to be trusted just may prove us wrong in our assumptions of them. This book is non stop action and an attraction that is too strong to ignore.

With amazing characters, this series is sure to capture your attention and pull you into the magical world of dragon shifters. You will be addicted from the very first pages. With the twists and turns, you will have a hard time figuring out what danger lurks ahead and who is responsible for those dangers. True moments of shock and awe.

If you haven’t had the pleasure of meeting these characters, then I suggest you do. You will fall in love with the world of dragons and the amazing creatures that they are. I would start with The Mate and work your way up. You will be so glad you did.
Profile Image for Ana Rocha.
114 reviews34 followers
April 4, 2019
I haven't read the first book in this series, but I didn't feel like that had an important impact on my reading experience.

I was excited about this book when I read the blurb. I’ve been fascinated with dragons ever since I was very young, so it seemed like this would be my cup of tea. Unfortunately, it didn’t fully meet my expectations.
“The Rookie” is undeniably an original story and it had a very interesting plot. It was fast-paced and the action part of the story kept me hooked until the very end.
However, there were many things that were left unexplained or that didn’t make sense at all. (view spoiler)
I also particularly disliked the fact that the reader obviously knows who Sera is going to end up with since the beginning - that took some of the excitement I could have felt while reading it away.
I must mention the way relationships between men and women were handled in this book. The idea of possessing another person was frequently mentioned, and while I understood that it was related to the whole “mating” thing, it still sounded horrible to me. It’s 2019. Nobody owns anybody. That isn’t even a remotely sexy idea.
Nevertheless, I could have enjoyed the book if those had been its only flaws. The one reason why I gave this such a low rating was the writing style, which felt pretentious. Weird metaphors and comparisons were constantly used:
“[...] her nerves were already as thin as the membrane of a jellyfish, and just as likely to pop”
“[...] tense vibes radiating from the two men like pulses from an EMT”
There were also many expressions that were repeated excessively throughout the book (for example, I lost count to the amount of times the men around Sera “growled”).
“The Rookie” could have been a hundred pages shorter if unnecessary sentences like “He was closer now, she could tell by how his voice sounded louder” had been excluded.
With an array of interesting characters and an intriguing plot, it’s a shame that I couldn’t fully enjoy this.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 97 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.