Start by marking “The Coroner” as Want to Read:
The Coroner

The Coroner

(A Coroner's Daughter Mystery #1)

Summoned from her promising surgical career first to her estranged father's bedside, and then his post as medical examiner when his small town needs urgent help with a suspicious death, Emily Hartford discovers home is where the bodies are in this pitch perfect mystery debut.
Audible Audio
Published July 18th 2018 by Blackstone Audio, Inc.

Start your review of The Coroner
Carrie
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Emily Hartford grew up in the small town of Freeport, MI where she gained her love of medicine from her father. As Emily was a teen her dad would bring her in as he was performing autopsies to begin teaching Emily but after her mother’s passing Emily just couldn’t stay in Freeport and went to live with an aunt.

Now a decade later Emily has begun to become the doctor she always wanted to be and is in the third year of surgical residency in Chicago when she receives some horrible news, her father i
Chris Conley
I really liked the story. The characters are solid and the mystery was a puzzler. However, this book is, without a doubt, the most poorly proofed/edited book I have ever read. There are major errors throughout the whole text. If I had not been so engaged by the characters and story, I would have put it down by the third chapter. I hope the next book is handled better because the author is talented.
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
This book was pleasant. Yup, like watching a Hallmark movie. If that's your thing. I'm a bit on the fence, however, since I love my crime novels to be a bit darker, more surprising and let's face it less romantic. I saw the plot, what would happen in Emily Hartford's life right from the start. Or, rather from the moment, she met her ex-boyfriend when Emily came back to the town. Her perfect life in Chicago suddenly didn't seem to be so great when her fiance kept surprising her with news about th ...more
✨Susan✨
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: murder, mystery, audible
A puzzling who done it by an author I have never read before. It was not gory or gritty, but was still a pretty good story. It ends with a cliff hanger so I will be looking for the next installment.
Lesa
I wonder if I can entice you to try a debut mystery called The Coroner by telling you about the author. The author's bio on the back of the book says, "Jennifer Graeser Dornbush is herself the daughter of a medical examiner, whose office was in her home. She investigated her first fatality, an airplane crash, when she was ten years old. Sine that first case, she has had decades of on-site experience in death investigation and 360 hours of forensic training through the Forensic Science Academy." ...more
Kathleen Kelly
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Coroner is a story of a young woman, Emily Hartford, an up and coming surgeon and recently engaged is called home because her father has had a heart attack. Her father is a medical examiner in the small town that Emily grew up in. She and her father are estranged because of the death of her mother. Emily was never told how her mother died, all she knew is that she died in a car accident, but she knows that there is more to the story than what she was told by her father.

A young girl is found
Micky Cox
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing plot that drew me in as well as kept me interested and invested in the outcome entwined around the lives of the characters that are involved. The characters were interesting and definitely starting to develop strong personalities by the end so I am very intrigued to read the next book in the series. I am curious to see where the author takes the characters next in their personal stories as well as what new or old mysteries may come up.
Lisa Houston
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed The Coroner. It was well written. Lots to keep you interested. You followed Dr Emily as she returned to her home town. Having moved away years ago. You learn she hasn't been speaking to her father due to some secrets when her mother died. Her fathers had a heart attack, so shes back to see how he is. Can she get to the bottom of all the secrets? Back in her home town faced with her 1st love and gets caught up in a murder. Loved the plot and all the characters
Sue
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was interested in reading The Coroner since I am a Patricia Cornwell fan. I was not disappointed! I enjoyed this book. Full of suspense, a little humor and romance, what’s not to like? I am hoping this is the start of a series.
Dawn
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story with good characters. This would be a great book for a start of a series but I felt it had too much of a cliffhanger for what I wanted from the story. That being said I enjoyed reading it.

I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Gail
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First time reading this author. An awesome thriller that keeps you wondering what will happen next. A very hard book to put down. Very well written with amazing characters. I loved every minute of the story.
Christa
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible-escape
The Coroner is a great start to a new mystery series. I thought that Emily Hartford was a very likable character. She is a 3rd year resident at a Chicago Hospital who returns to her childhood home in Michigan when her estranged father has a heart attack. Emily reluctantly assumes his coroner duties when a teenaged girl is found dead. After discovering that the girl was murdered, Emily is drawn into the case with her former high school boyfriend, Nick Larson, who is now sheriff.

I really liked th
Aly
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This book had a little bit of everything in it for me. It had some humor, lots of suspense, and good characters. Emily is a surgical resident and she goes back home for a family emergency when her father needs her.  Then everything starts while back home. It was a fun book and I enjoyed it.  The twists and turns were great! *This book was given to me for free at my request and I provided this voluntary review.*
Kathy
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Coroner by Jennifer Graeser Dornbush is an intriguing small town mystery.

Surgical resident Dr. Emily Hartford is shocked to learn her  father Robert has had a massive heart attack. Although their relationship is strained, she rushes home to Freeport, the small town which she left twelve years ago. Virtually as soon as she arrives, Sheriff (and former Emily's former boyfriend) Nick Larson pleads with her to perform an autopsy on high school senior Julie Dobson.  Emily quickly acquiesces and m
Susan
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Promising start to a new series. Hopefully! Emily Hartford goes back home to help her father. She’s drawn into a mystery that brings up feelings that she’s long suppressed. The book is full of engaging characters with a history that I want to learn more about. Since there is a bit of a cliffhanger, fingers are crossed that there is more to come!

*ARC provided by NetGalley for an honest review.
Carol
Summoned from her promising surgical career first to her estranged father's bedside, and then his post as medical examiner when his small town needs urgent help with a suspicisious death, Emily Hartford discovers home is where the bodies are in this pitch-perfect mystery debut. Recently engaged and deeply ensconced in her third year of surgical residency in Chicago, Emily Hartford gets a shock when she's called home for Freeport, MI, he small town she fled a decade ago after he death of her moth ...more
Charles
As murder mysteries go, The Coroner is better than most. Sure, the plot is necessarily formulaic, but the characters are believable and interesting. The over-arching storyline was compelling enough to make me look forward to reading the next in the series.

I can't point out weaknesses in the plot without spoilers, so I'll nitpick the editing instead.

1. The book starts strong with medical descriptions that seem to be pulled straight from one of the better forensic/medical TV dramas. Technical enou
Owl._.
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this mystery and the ending defintiely left me wanting more answers .... another in the series? I hope so .... I think this could be a really good series as the characters grow and evolve. *Actual rating would be 3.5 if I could.

Thank you #netgalley and #crookedlanebooks for the eARC.
Kate Vale
Secrets abound in this tale of Emily Hartford, who has yet to understand why her mother died when she did and why her father refused to tell her. After all, they have worked together and now that she's a resident surgeon, she could understand the findings of the autopsy her father, the ME, performed.

Then there's Brandon, another Surgeon and Nick, the hometown sheriff. Who will win Emily's heart when she isn't sure herself where she wants to be: in Chicago or in much smaller Freeport?

The murder o
Amy
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

Emily Hartford is a surgical resident in Chicago flying through her residency and newly engaged when she receives news that her estranged father has suffered a heart attack. Knowing he will likely need her help, she returns home to small town Freeport and gets sucked into the first murder investigation the city has seen in years.

“The Coroner” is an easy read that would do well as a beach read or a rainy day mystery. The story is enjoyable and I enjoyed reading about Emily coming into he
Tj
I liked this one and would read another by this new to me writer.

At the beginning of the book, Emily wasn't always likable. Her mother died in an auto accident when she was a teenager, and she didn't believe it was an accident. She blamed her father who was the coroner for not questioning the accident and for not giving her the autopsy report. She fled and stayed away for twelve years.

Emily is now in her surgical residency, new engaged, and still ignoring her dad. All this changes when she gets
Kelly
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Am hoping that the abrupt ending means that there is a sequel ? So much more left to explore there. Fingers crossed for another book after this ! This book has it all, family drama, secrets, murder, love...................... and it all comes together and unfolds with a few twist here and there. I loved the main characters ( not the fiancé though lol ) but I would certainly be interested in reading other books by this author ! Read it in a day and enjoyed every minute ...more
Ashley Hasty
This was a great mystery, classic for the genre. I love that the author’s own father was a medical examiner - allowing her to really understand Emily’s life as the daughter of an ME. The author has quite a bit of experience writing crime fiction for television shows and film. This isn’t her first foray into the world of mysteries and crime fiction and I think that really came across in this book - it wasn’t too overdone and seemed very practical.
For more about this book, visit: https://www.hast
Vikki Vaught
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a 5 star read until I found out it's a cliff hanger! I really don't like them at all. Now, I do like continuing stories, but I want at least a HFN ending, not one where I'm left hanging, dancing in the wind. Nonetheless, this is a great mystery. Darn, the sequel doesn't come out until JAnuary 2020. Happy reading/listening!
Marie
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emily is a surgical resident in Chicago with the beginnings of a great career . It's her birthday and and she gets engaged to a very handsome, well bred surgeon. Life is good. Her father back home is the coroner. A calls comes in, her father has had a heart attack. She has to go back although she and her father are estranged. While there, a Senator's daughter dies from a fall from horseback. No one to do the autopsy so Emily does it. It was not an accident. An old flame is now the Sheriff and he ...more
Ellen Whitfield
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so excited about this book when I read the synopsis, and it didn't let me down! I loved the entire concept, the story was peppered with great characters, and the author's writing style was top notch.
Joi
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, mystery
This book was good. It kept me reading.
Ursula
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
Exceptionally well written first novel in a series. Enjoyed it from beginning to end.
Julier
This was a pleasant story to listen to while my hands were occupied; I checked it out on Hoopla because it popped up as available. I enjoyed the story for the most part, and agreed with Magdalena that it was like a Hallmark movie. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... My brain had to cynically note times when medical emergencies were perhaps dealt with more emotionally than rationally by a Type-A personality brilliant surgeon/medical examiner. I felt ending like it did with "important" things ...more
Nancy K
Good story. Writing was pedestrian. Better editing needed. Liked the equestrian angle, though (Sister?)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• If She Hid (Kate Wise, #4)
  • If She Saw (Kate Wise #2)
  • Good Girls Stay Quiet
  • Missing Molly
  • The Secrets of Bones
  • Texas Cooking (Texas Hill Country #1)
  • The Tower
  • Waking the Dead (Mindhunters, #3)
  • If She Knew (Kate Wise #1)
  • The Vampire Book Club (Vampire Book Club #1)
  • Traceless (Stateless, #2)
  • Tell Me Lies
  • A Beautiful Corpse (Harper McClain, #2)
  • The Getaway
  • Blind Search (Mercy & Elvis Mysteries #2)
  • Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert, #1)
  • The Demon Next Door
  • No One Can Know (A Stillwater General Mystery #2)
Jennifer Dornbush is a screenwriter, author, international speaker and forensic specialist. As she says, “I grew up around death.”

The television or movie screen is the closest most people will ever come to witnessing the forensic world. But Jennifer was raised in it. As the daughter of a small town medical examiner whose office was in their home. There were body parts in the fridge. She investigat

A Coroner's Daughter Mystery (2 books)
  • Secret Remains