Start by marking “The Kindness Method: Change Your Habits for Good Using Self-Compassion and Understanding” as Want to Read:

The Kindness Method is the key to breaking unwanted habits—for good! Combining her own therapeutic style, personal experiences, and techniques learned from working in the field of substance abuse, Shahroo Izadi shares simple steps that strengthen your willpower like a muscle, allowing you to sustain your motivation and make lasting change in your life.

Shahroo’s completely

Kindle Edition
Published July 9th 2019 by St. Martin's Essentials

Kirsty ❤️
The Kindness Method is a self-help guide to help you change a habit permanently and I’m not entirely sure if it does. There was an awful lot of waffle before the book really got started. The author does say that 80% of her clients are there for addiction issues and her field of experience is in substance misuse and I felt that this book was for those people.

It didn’t feel like a self help workbook for the general public to use improve their lives. It appears to have got a lot of positive review
Val Robson
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Kindness Method is a self-help guide to help you change a habit for good. This might be something big or something small. Shahroo Izadi has developed this method via her experience of working with clients with addictions. But this method isn’t just for addictions – it about changing any habit and can just as easily be applied to taking up something, such as getting fit, as giving something up.

Shahroo’s approach involves starting with writing yourself a Snapshot Letter which summarises your
Jena Henry
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
How many times have you tried a new diet, blown the new diet, and yelled at yourself? Or what about drinking- tired of the hangovers? But, it’s so hard to stop drinking. What’s wrong with you?

Nothing. Nothing is wrong with you. That’s the message I learned from author Shahroo Izadi who has written an excellent book, The Kindness Method- Change Your Habits for Good Using Self-Compassion and Understanding. She has worked as a drug counsellor and also has faced a weight challenge, so she knows how
Julia
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Kindness Method by Shahroo Izadi is a self help book designed to change lives by breaking habits and being kind to ourselves. It is "Giving yourself permission to be kind to you." Often we are our worst critic. We need to "Conquer... the habit of negative self talk."
This book gives personal testimony as well as suggesting we mind map various topics. As we progress along the way, we will need to review our mind maps to see how far we have come.
We all have negative habits that rule our lives a
Nicki Southwell
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reviews
Shahroo Izadi teaches you how to be kind to yourself and how to go about it. A change in our thought processes is another method used and testimonials show that this is feasible.

The author has a no-nonsense approach and it is very thought-provoking and has left me with a with food for thought. If you find self-help books useful, then this is for you.

I chose to read this book and all opinions in this review are all my own and completely unbiased. My thanks to NetGalley for this opportunity.
Kevin
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is far more serious than most in the self-help genre. It's more self-therapy.

The central concept of the book is that most things we want to change about ourselves are more the symptoms than the problem, and while we can often fix symptoms briefly if you don't deal with the underlying problem the chance of either a relapse or an alternate symptom appearing are. And, fundamentally at least, that's basically a cornerstone of peeking into the human psyche; a lot of what we do doesn't alway
Jayne Catherine pinkett
I was contacted by the publisher to take part in piloting the exercises and following advice. I am starting my planning 1at June

I received an early copy of this book in return for my independent honest review. I was really looking forward to using this book, both as a stress Management Practitioner to assess suitability for my clients and as an individual wanting to improve some areas of my life. The premise of The Kindness Method sounds really exciting using maps to really analyse ourselves and
Petrucha
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I might be too nice with the stars. But when a book actually helps me, it deserves those 5 stars.
Jena Henry
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Joan
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an approach to personal transformation I have not seen before. I like it. I like her focus on movement toward who I want to be rather than away from the parts of me I don't like. I like her thought provoking map sessions. Even though I have read a ton of personal development books, I still learned something about myself with her exercises. I like how she helps us develop a plan based on our learning who we are, what motivates us and makes us feel authentic. I really liked her section on ...more
Celine's book corner
I obtained a complementary copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Ok guys, I know I’ve said I’m more of a fiction type of gal when it comes to reading, but NetGalley has so many amazing non-fiction/self-help books to offer that I have succumbed to getting a few!
Shahroo Izadi is a behavioural change specialist based in London. She has experience of working with substance users to help them overcome their addiction. This book is the fruit of what she’s learned through yea
Sam Young
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Kindness Method is a life style change. Apply kindness to yourself to help your change habits.
Shahroo Izadi reminds us that we are often kind to others but not to ourselves.
Habits can be hard to beak or change because we often sabotage ourselves. Shahroo guides us through some of her own and patients experiences explaining how to know our triggers and when to be kind to ourselves. She uses prompts and mind maps, something visual to remind yourself to be kind.
Now I have read the whole book
Merrilee Gibson
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As licensed psychotherapist using a client-centered humanistic approach, I am so pleased to find this book.

Surely, kindness is an element often missing in today’s world. The author recommends using self-kindness as a key to changing undesired habits and addictions.

This approach is self-empowering, as it recognizes the innate ability that we all have to solve our own difficulties. It also acknowledges that often, we can get in our own way.

Viewing our unwelcome components with disfavor and disapp
Breakaway Reviewers
Some good advice tucked inside the covers of this book.

If you feel like things need to change in your life, then the opening question in this book should pique your interest and have you hooked by following the advice that Shahroo Izadi gives. It starts like this, “How many times have you embarked on a plan of change, only to run out of steam within weeks? How often do you notice habits emerging that you’re not particularly proud of?”

I found some of the chapters particularly interesting, like t
Seema Rao
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Accessible ~ Considerable ~ Wonderful

tl;dr: Kindness is transformational

This self-help book is unlike many, in that it starts from a position of kindness. This book is truly non-judgmental. I have read scores of changing habits books, some better than others. But, this book is the first that I felt didn't judge my failures (I realize books are inanimate). The author felt generous in her attitude. She made all the topics and advice relevant and approachable. Her approach is entirely feasible, s
Maddie
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starting this book I wasn't quite sure it was for me but I'm glad I stuck with it. Although I have never suffered from substance abuse, which she refers to frequently in the book, I was still able to utilize The Kindess Method into other aspects of my life.

I loved the maps she outlines for you to work on throughout the book. They encourage you to dig deep into your self to find answers or even to simply put light onto smaller wins to celebrate in your life. We don't give ourselves nearly enough
Orláith
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not that you would think it after seeing yesterday's post, but I very rarely, if ever, read self-help books. Yet after seeing the synopsis of Shahroo Izadi's The Kindness Method, I knew I had to get my hands on a copy.

This book reads more like a memoir than an instruction manual. In it, the author charts what inspired her to come up with The Kindness Method and as well as talking through ways to break your habits, she tells how she changed her own.

The wonderful writing paired with short exercise
Ramona Mead
This is a non-traditional self-help book, quite unique in presentation. The core tenant is to treat oneself with kindness and compassion. The method is designed to help the reader change a habit for good, by making permanent positive shifts in the way they think and live. This isn't a quick fix, and the work outlined is quite involved. There are mind mapping exercises given that are designed to give the reader permeant tangible guidance and physical reminders of the work she's done. The writing ...more
Brigid Gallagher
Shahroo Izadi shares her personal journey of yo-yo dieting and struggles with weight loss, which eventually led to her developing The Kindness Method.
She has inspired many through her work as a behavioural change specialist, encouraging her clients through the wisdom of her professional training, combined with her personal experience.
This book is packed full of original self help tips to aid positive transformation and embrace self love and kindness.
I worked through all the exercises slowly, an
Tina
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This is a self help book that is designed to help you change your habits. It is important to note that for the purpose of reviewing this book I read the book from cover to cover and therefore have not done any of the exercises and put the method into practice. I am really impressed with the tone of this book. It is in no way preachy There are a number of exercises to do and I will definitely be putting them into pract ...more
Dawn
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to the publishers and netgalley for this arc in exchange for my honest review.

I am not a massive reader of ‘self help’ books but was given the opportunity to read this and after reading it and taking a moment to think how it would apply to me and my situations. I have to say it was full of brilliant guidance and was not condescending like previous books I have tried to read.

I will definitely revisit parts of it and explore in more depth. Would recommend to anyone wanting ideas on bei
Lindsay
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This book won’t change your life if all you want to do is read something and revert back to your old habits - this book requires some work from you. Sitting down and writing out your maps as instructed in the book enables you to look at your life in a more honest way. We would never speak to others the way we often speak to ourselves so being able to see on paper our strengths and weaknesses and learning what triggers our failures (which the book shows you are not failures) is the way to changin ...more
Sara Oxton
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Kindness Method by Shahroo Izadi a four-star read that will be thought provoking and change many minds, will yours be one of them. This is a self-help book that Is much deeper and more brutal than the couple of others I have read. Be warned its not a book you can pick up and read a few minutes then pick it back up later. This book will take work, but if you are willing to put in some hard work and keep at it then I’m sure that you will get something out of this story.
Michelle
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in a clear and concise style, The Kindness Method is a readable and easy to understand method for creating change in our daily life. Within The Kindness Method are a series of exercises that help provide a guide for change and help to shed light on all the ways your current behaviors are setting you up for failure.

Thank you to Netgalley and the Publisher for the opportunity to read and review this title. All opinions are my own.
Stephanie
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business-books
How do you make changes to bad habits in your life? How do you react when you fall off whatever “wagon” you are on? Do you have a harsh inner critic? This book takes a refreshingly different approach to creating lasting habits and has some nice techniques for dealing with that inner critic.
Sonia Galbraith
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book to help with any habits or issues we want to change.

Clear chapters and practical advice that can be applied to any issue or challenge in life. Unpretentious and straightforward advise and tips. Loved it!
Amanda
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible. A great reminder to be nice to yourself, to love yourself, and to stand up to your internal bully.
Nik
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the exercises in the book, they helped reframe my thought patters.
Michyreads
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A practical, helpful, enjoyable read.
Brunna Martelli
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book with lots of wisdom and insights on why we stick to unhealthy habits and how to change them. Be ready to do a lot of work, as the book is basically made out of exercises.
“Whether we like it or not, the habits we've developed to distract ourselves from our uncomfortable thoughts and feelings have, at some point, been effective and useful - otherwise we wouldn't have clung onto them for so long. On balance, they might not be helpful any more ... But the habits in themselves are not 'bad' - and neither are we.” 0 likes
“It's not so much about finding yourself ... it's about meeting yourself.” 0 likes