Start by marking “Catfish in the Cradle” as Want to Read:
Catfish in the Cradle

Catfish in the Cradle

Grady Pope has hit bottom; his alligator hunting business is failing and his daughter has abandoned him. Nearly giving up, his life is turned upside down when she reappears and dies giving birth to a son. Grady takes in his erstwhile grandson, vowing to raise him. He soon notices that strange events occur around the child, culminating in the revelation that he isn't entire ...more
Published March 1st 2019

To ask other readers questions about Catfish in the Cradle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catfish in the Cradle

Start your review of Catfish in the Cradle
Frank
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Southern Gothic meets Lovecraftian fiction in CATFISH IN THE CRADLE, an unlikely horror story that takes place in the swamps of East Texas. Author Wile Young's vivid imagination and gift for story premises is on display here. It is rife with authentic sense of place and true to life characters.

The story is inventive. I'm not the biggest fan of Lovecraftian (I've over indulged myself on it nearly as much as I have on zombies.) But the unexpected local of Deep Ones coupled with Young's own east Te
Nicole
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Easily a new favorite!

Atmospheric and original. Catfish In The Cradle grabs you by the hand and compels you to get to the last devastating page! You know you've found a gem when you secretly hope the author has plans to revisit the characters because you feel like you need more. (For example, any future books with the Deep Folk or exploring Luc's past will be snatched up immediately by me.)
John Collins
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you can appreciate Lovecraftian inspired monster (perhaps a small nod to the Clickers series), swamp hoodoo and weird southern gothic than this is for you.
Wile. E. Young created a wonderful story her about family ties, human and inhuman, that’s engaging and a lot of fun.
If I have any complaint,it’s that the book has quite a bit of typos but that’s on the copy editors, not the author.
Still, this was a fun debut novel.
Sea Caummisar
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I probably should have Googled it before writing this review, but this book made me think about Swamp Thing. I haven't thought of Swamp Thing in decades. I don't remember the story. Whether it was a movie or a television show,...But I can still see IT, and that's pretty much how I pictured the monsters in this book.
This story is dang near heartbreaking. Family is important, and after a man's daughter runs off, she comes home, gives birth and dies. Now old dude is left to take care of a baby.
Did
DJMikeG
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was blown away by and completely loved Young's second novel, "The Magpie Coffin", easily one of the best books I've read this year. His debut effort definitely leaves alot to be desired, if you read Magpie first. There were little nuggets of a good book in here, but overall it just failed to grab me. It really felt like a debut novel by an author still figuring it out. I look forward to reading future works by Young, as "The Magpie Coffin" was incredible, but this one really felt like an autho ...more
Chris Miller
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wile E. Young makes a splash in the East Texas bayous with his debut novel, CATFISH IN THE CRADLE.

Grady Pope is an aging and lonely man. His wife passed away a few months back and his daughter has gone missing. As he goes through the motions of his life in Uncertain, Texas, his daughter returns in the midst of giving birth and his life is turned on its head.

This book has a little of everything in it. There's the terrific setting (which happens to only be a couple of hours from where I live, so I
Pyropatty
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fishy

Great horror story. Good old fashioned scary tale with legends and townsfolk keeping secrets. Couldn't put down. Unpredictable and heartwarming. I loved it. Finally a true storyteller.
Rachel Dawn
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Live by a lake? This one's for you .

I absolutely loved this story. It was totally different from what I am used to reading, which is what made it so fabulous. If you are tired of your typical horror monsters and legends, this one is for you. I hope this author keeps writing and continues with the unique legends.
Jeremy Maddux
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Add another one to the Bad Ending Club. I actually really loved this one, but I hate hate hate it when infants age several years in a few days. That is the sloppiest shortcut in storytelling I have ever seen, and I really wish authors would stop leaning on it in order to speed up a story. You can't speed up the bonding between an infant and its caretakers just because they age faster than Jerry Nadler's bovine gait toward the podium at the end of a failed impeachment trial. There is a lot to enj ...more
solitaryfossil
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ll never trust another Catfish again!

I was hooked from chapter one, and it just got better and better to the last horrid page. With a breathtaking pace, hoodoo/voodoo/swamp mythology and magic adroitly twirled together to form a 100% satisfying horror novella. Excellent character writing and plot, if you enjoy horror - especially those set in a swamp - I definitely recommend this one. Nice job!
Kevin
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Besides the terrible editing in my ebook, the story wins out and takes you on a hell of a ride through Lovecraftian terrors transplanted to the southern bayous and swamps.
Jason Nickey
Apr 30, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2022
I wasn't sure what to expect going into this one. This story's opening grabs you immediately and takes you along an interesting journey. I felt elements of McDowelll's Blackwater in here, but with more of a horror edge. Like a crossover between Splatter and Southern Gothic. Very good storytelling. ...more
Kenzie
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wile E. Young takes his reader on quite an emotionally wrenching journey out in the murky bayous of Louisiana where the local lore about swamp-dwelling primordial creatures turns out to be true, and familial bonds, both figuratively and literally, run deep. Young’s story is richly detailed, his characters, authentic (especially that of the heartbroken, long-suffering protagonist, alligator hunter Grady Pope). As a whole, it works very well as both its own bittersweet entity and as a loving homag ...more
Lolapaige
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
The plot was enjoyable. The spelling, grammatical errors and weird spacing made it hard to read.
Erica Robyn Metcalf
Catfish in the Cradle by Wile E. Young is an eerie tale about creatures, called the Deep Folk, that live deep in the river, and a grandfather that pushes himself to the limit to protect his kin.

Once you start in on this tale, it’s a non-stop trip that will leave you gasping for air like one of the Deep Folk were toying with you!

On the very first page, we meet Grady Pope, an older gentleman still mourning the disappearance of his daughter. He’s sitting at a local diner grabbing a meal, mulling th
Madilynn Dale
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019read
Catfish In The Cradle by Wile E. Young

5-stars

Catfish In The Cradle was exciting and suspenseful. It was full of horrendous paranormal creatures and magic. Grady Pope was a wonderful main character whose life is flipped after the arrival of his grandson Lincoln. Lincoln is not quite human and the creatures of the deep seek to have him. In turn the whole town goes crazy and sides are chosen.

This novel has such a wonderful storyline that easily kept my attention and also at the edge of my seat. T
Kelly Furniss
Aug 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Grady Popes alligator hunting business is failing and his daughter has left.
Nearly giving up, his life is turned upside down when she reappears and then dies giving birth to a Son. Grady takes in his Grandson. He soon notices that strange events occur around him & his toes and fingers are webbed, he suspects that he isn't entirely human.
The ancient forces who dwell in the river are stirring and they need him back.
Quite a unique, bizarre swampy kind of story. Grady at times comes across as quit
C. Miller
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This one played on my emotions quite a bit! I have a deep rooted personal fear of dark water and the things that lurk beneath. Filled with creepy imagery but also love. Lot's of heart and family dynamic as well. Kudos to Mr. Young! I doubt I'll ever go to Caddo Lake but I feel as though I've already been. Highly recommended! ...more
Chris
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
Fast paced and enjoyable Lovecraftian tale. I read the Kindle version and it was full of obvious typos, misplaced commas, missing words, wrong words and other errors. That's a pet peeve of mine and tends to yank me right out of a book when encountered and degrades the overall reading experience. I probably would have rated it higher if it had been copy edited and cleaned up. ...more
Sarah Dykes
Sep 02, 2020 rated it liked it
I loved the beginning of this book - swamps, isolated homes, alligator hunting - I love the southern gothic feel, and I initially enjoyed the weird creatures. However, it got a little too Lovecraftian for me so therefore, the 3 star rating.
T.D.
Jan 27, 2021 rated it liked it
Okay, not great.

This book has an awesome story, and I really wanted to like it because the story is so interesting. I think it could've been an amazing book had it gone through a few more rounds of revision.
Stephanie
Mar 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Don't go in the water

A story of a giant alligator, mutant creatures and family loss take you quickly through these pages. Add a dash of voodoo type magic and you get a fun read.
Debbi Smith
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wild cryptozoology for sure

I enjoyed this book. I've never seen a horror story like this. And I don't think I'll be eating seafood Anytime soon!

Give this book a try!
Dennis O'Daniel
Aug 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read, interesting story line and having grown up close to where the story takes place made it more interesting.
B. Kirby
I was glued to this one for the first 50% then lost my interest for the next 30%. But the last 20% was good. I didn’t love the book but I also didn’t hate it. It was just OK.
Pan | Book Reviews and Recommendations
A perfect, action packed cosmic horror gem.
Lucille Bransfield
Apr 30, 2022 rated it really liked it
Holy Hell. This book had me hook, line, and sinker. Southern horror has a new name. Wile E. Young you are a sick man.
Lucian Miner
Jul 13, 2022 rated it it was amazing
I loved a lot of the ideas in this book. It was horrifying and gruesome in the right ways. My second book by Wile E. Young and again it was a well written book.
Nick Lucky
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
3 stars for an entertaining story and enjoyable character voice. There were an unfortunate number of typos and format errors on the Kindle edition which really affected the experience. I felt like the horror aspects were too rushed, which is too bad because they were so disgusting and fun.
Elford Alley
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
East Texas, already one of the top three spookiest places on the planet, becomes even more terrifying in this creepy, and even heartbreaking at times, tale of river-dwelling horror.

• Hunger on the Chisholm Trail