Start by marking “Maigret Loses His Temper (Maigret, #61)” as Want to Read:
Maigret Loses His Temper (Maigret, #61)

Maigret Loses His Temper

(Inspector Maigret #61)

Inspector Maigret, after ruling out the possibility of professional murder and having his spotless reputation called into question, solves the perplexing murder of a nightclub owner who at first glance seems to have no enemies. Translated by Robert Eglesfield.

Maigret is a registered trademark of the Estate of Georges Simenon.
Published June 16th 2003 by Mariner Books (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Maigret Loses His Temper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maigret Loses His Temper

Andrei Bădică
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
" Cazul nu era foarte important și până în acel moment Lucas se ocupase singur de el. Numai cei din lumea interlopă erau preocupați de moartea lui Mazotti. Fiecare știe că aceste reglări de conturi își găsesc întotdeauna rezolvarea, fie și printr-o altă reglare de conturi."
" Chavanon nu se arăta prea entuziast. Maigret se aștepta la asta. În aproape toate meseriile există un spirit de breaslă. Oamenii pot vorbi liber unii despre alții între ei, dar nu le e deloc pe plac o intervenție străi
Sharon Barrow Wilfong
I love all of Maigret's mysteries. This one is no exception. A club owner is found strangled just outside Pere Lachaise, the famous Parisian cemetary, after going missing for a few days. Forensics say that the body had been dead for a few days before it was put there.

Even though the victim was a night club owner, he had no enemies and was above board in all his dealings. Who did it and why?

This particular mystery has an original plot twist. Highly readable. I read it in t
Antonio Ippolito
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wonder whether Maigret is aware, when he allows Gaillard to be jailed keeping his belt and necktie, that he is nudging him towards hanging himself. is this the reason why the commissary sleeps a troubled sleep that night? is this action out of revenge for slandering the name of the Police Judiciaire? or is last-minute pityful concession, according to our grandparents' code of honor, in order to spare the disgraced barrister, formerly a war hero, a humiliating trial?
---------------------------
Gaetano
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uno strano caso in una calda ed annoiata estate parigina, con un cadavere che appare dopo un paio di giorni dall’omicidio e nessun sospetto colpevole.

Maigret però…

Era un po’ come un cane da caccia che va avanti e indietro, annusando.

Intuito, tenacia e un po’ di fortuna: il cerchio si stringe ed il caso è risolto; facendo però arrabbiare davvero il nostro commissario come forse non avevo mai visto.

Atmosfere parigine e passeggiate a Montmartre, un vero piacere per i lettori di b/>Era
Sandra
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: francia
“ La signora Maigret, che sgranava i piselli nell’ombra calda, dove l’azzurro del suo grembiule e il verde dei baccelli creavano chiazze sontuose…”. E lui, il nostro commissario? “ Ed eccolo lì, in pieno sole, a piedi nudi negli zoccoli di legno, con i pantaloni di tela azzurra che gli cadevano in vita e gli facevano un deretano da elefante, e la camicia da contadino a piccoli disegni confusi aperta sul petto villoso.”
Questo è l’incipit colorato e agreste della nuova avventura di Maigret,
Rhys
Aug 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Another great 'Maigret' novel, though perhaps not quite so great as some of the others I have read. This is the eighth book I have finished in the series of 75 novels so far, and one of the later ones. There is a twist at the end that perfectly justifies why Maigret gets more angry with the culprit in this particular story than with other criminals and it is connected to a slur on his integrity.
John Frankham
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-detective
A particularly good Maigret from 1963, based around the nightclub areas in Paris. Who killed one of the only honest club owners, and dumped his body two days after he was murdered?
Bruce
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel, which can be translated as Maigret's Temper, is another of the many Maigret mysteries written in the mid-20th century by this masterful French author. Many of the characteristics found in the companion novels are found here – almost all violence occurs “off stage,” the pacing of the investigation is slow and methodical, emphasis is placed on psychological motivations of the protagonists, and the ending is emotionally ambiguous – all making this a perfect companion for an evening reading by ...more
Ann
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
In this classic Maigret novel from 1963, Maigret becomes interested in the death of Emile Boulay, whose strangled body was found on a Paris side-walk three days after his disappearance. Although Boulay owned a handful of nightclubs where scantily clad women entertain tourists, he seemed to have lived an irreproachable life : a devoted husband and a scrupulously honest businessman in a shady business. Also, underworld slayings typically involve guns. So who could have had it in for the unremarkab ...more
Matilda
J'ai envie chaque été de lire un Maigret, de retrouver ces enquêtes rapides et le caractère du commissaire comme si je ne l'avais jamais quitté. Le seul critère de choix étant de trouver un titre d'occasion dont la première page me parle. "La colère de Maigret" a bien fait son travail et j'en ressort contente. A l'année prochaine.
Laurie
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I
Gary
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The plot is crystalline.
Sam Catanzaro
Jul 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Don't go into this expecting a Raymond Chandler like deceptive book. It's a 1960s French pulp mystery after all. This being said, Simenon is a master a characterization, and is a highly talented writer. The actual mystery is lacking, however, and as hard as Simenon tries, he never quite manages to create a solid hook. This is probably largely due to little things lost in the translation, and I'm curious to see how some of the other Maigret books are. 3.5/5.
Lena
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
It had been a long time ago that I read anything by Georges Simenon - and I actually thought I had read them all until I came across this one. In many ways, it seemed a bit dated, and the Paris setting was no longer quite as thrilling. I almost considered putting it down, and then suddenly it got really interesting. The ending was especially good - surprising, but totally believable. I will see if I can find any more Inspector Maigret novels that I have not yet read - or do not remember.
John
Jan 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Rather an unusual Maigret story and not one of his best in my opinion.

I still give it three stars however, purely because of Simenon's amazingly clever power of conveying atmosphere and emotion. The plot itself I thought rather weak and the reader is able to spot the killer pretty much straight away.
Trish
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Revisiting Maigret for my French literature class, accommodating newer recruits who have not been so addicted to reading in French. (When I began devouring French novels again, in 1992, I kicked off with Simenon, because our library had many of his books, and their straightforward plots, unpretentious vocabulary eased me back in. )
Maigret is a much better man than his creator, and the novels fortunately lack the excessive violence now popular in police procedurals. Probably they wouldn’t m
William Jackson
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh yes! This is the second of Simenon's Maigret books I've read, and I love them. i love serious, thought drifting but somehow still on the case Maigret, the seedy streets of Paris, the nosy press. This story was again cut in an easy to digest book of around 130 pages. Easy to get into in a week or less. Once I sat down to it, I kept going. The nightclubs of Monmartre take center stage in this book, a nightclub owner's death with no leads, no weapon, no witnesses, leads Maigret to frustration. H ...more
Nicholas Whyte
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sebastian Cardemil
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Creo que Maigret será mi droga de vez en cuando...
H.
Dec 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: year-6, ymca-3
The book is as inspired as it’s title. And did He actually lose his temper? Maybe there is an existential angle that is being missed.
Paola
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Un Maigret diverso a tratti stanco e sfiduciato
Jack
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This might be my new favourite Maigret. Very gritty and emotional, with some amazing slices of seedy Paris life thrown in.
John Heiskell
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Good short stories.
Chad
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
A quick, fun read from one the French masters of noir fiction.
Mirjam
Toevallig op precies het juiste moment gelezen: het boek speelt zich af van woensdag 12 juni tot en met dinsdag 18 juni 1963. (Gelezen op maandag 17 en dinsdag 18 juni 2019).
Sylia Baraka
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Je prends de plus en plus plaisir a découvrir le monde de Maigret !
Un style d’écriture simple mais si attachant et entrainant. A lire sans modération

Amanda.
Gfec
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
3,5 - a lot of inspectors guessing until the end 10-20% of plotline, where is only a query, who is "money killer", advocate or accountant ...more
Carol Greer
Oct 30, 2013 rated it liked it
I wanted to love it. Simenon has written so many of these, and I wanted to become a huge Maigret fan so that I could happily plow through the series. This novel left me with the same feeling I had the last time I read a Simenon: meh. It took me a week to read it, and it's a very short book. I just didn't care about the outcome, and when it was over, I still didn't care. Three stars because it's very well written, and because of peer pressure. I know Simenon is beloved.
Eric_W
Nov 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I read all of the Maigret series in French while living in Switzerland when I was a teen. I loved them then and have decided to reread all of them in English. The Maigret character is so simpatico and I find the relationship he has with his wife refreshing. Maigret's intuitive way of working through the puzzles and his relationship with his underlings, if not his superiors on the force, seems quite realistic and worthy of emulation.
Mar 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Antonio Farano, gérant du « Paris-Strip », révèle à Maigret la disparition de son beau-frère, Emile Boulay, patron de plusieurs cabarets à Montmartre. Peu après, celui-ci est retrouvé, étranglé, près du Père-Lachaise. L'autopsie établira que la mort remonte à deux jours au moins. Maigret reconstitue les faits petit à petit.

• Murder in the Central Committee (Pepe Carvalho #5)
  • Bloody Streets of Paris (Nestor Burma #1)
  • Hammett
  • Broodhollow Book 1: Curious Little Thing (Broodhollow, #1)
  • La lunga estate calda del commissario Charitos (Kostas Charitos, #4)
  • I delitti di via Medina-Sidonia
  • Murder in Pigalle (Aimee Leduc Investigations #14)
  • Sans feu ni lieu (Les Evangélistes, #3)
  • A Darkening Stain (Bruce Medway, #4)
  • Acqua in bocca (Commissario Montalbano, #16.5)
  • Dead Man Upright (Factory #5)
  • Woman in the Dark
  • Justiz
  • Seven Dead
  • L'Éclat d'obus
Simenon was one of the most prolific writers of the twentieth century, capable of writing 60 to 80 pages per day. His oeuvre includes nearly 200 novels, over 150 novellas, several autobiographical works, numerous articles, and scores of pulp novels written under more than two dozen pseudonyms. Altogether, about 550 million copies of his works have been printed.

He is best known, however

Inspector Maigret (1 - 10 of 75 books)
  • Pietr the Latvian
  • The Carter of 'La Providence' (Maigret, #2)
  • The Late Monsieur Gallet (Maigret, #3)
  • The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien (Maigret, #4)
  • A Man's Head (Maigret #5)
  • The Yellow Dog (Maigret #6)
  • The Night at the Crossroads (Maigret #7)
  • A Crime in Holland (Maigret #8)
  • The Grand Banks Café (Maigret, #9)
  • The Dancer at the Gai-Moulin (Maigret #10)