Start by marking “Reaper: A Horror Novella” as Want to Read:
Reaper: A Horror Novella

Reaper: A Horror Novella

Gregory and his little sister Imogen love spending Halloween with their parents. But this year is different. If he proves he can take care of Imogen all by himself, he’ll finally have the allowance he’s dreamed of.

That was before the basement door opened on its own. Before the strange door appeared in the basement and Imogen was taken from him by the monster.

Now everyone
Published April 19th 2019 by Jonathan Pongratz

To ask other readers questions about Reaper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reaper

Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Ah... this novella reminded me of the horror books I read as a kid so the nostalgia was a lot of fun. Poor Gregory finally gets to show how grown up he is by being offered the opportunity to babysit his little sister and hand out candy on Halloween while his parents are out. What can go wrong, does go wrong and he gets blamed for his sister's disappearance and assumed death. But children have been consistently disappearing and he's determined to try and clear his name. Along the way, he learns t ...more
Skirmish
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book Reaction: https://nildivision.blogspot.com/2019...
Rating: 4.5 Stars – perfection is only half a step away

Thank you to the author, Jonathan Pongratz, for giving me a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Autumn Is Azathoth
REAPER is a really twisted horror novella, twisted in a good way, convoluted with some highly unexpected twists and revelations. Gregory is a good brother, and now at 13, his parents (foolishly) decide he can babysit his sister Imogen, 7--on Halloween! Foolish not because Gregory isn't capable (he's a lot more patient with his little sister than would be a lot of adolescents), but because circumstances he can't control will intervene. I mustn't say more because I never want to reveal this twisty ...more
Shalini
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cover was intriguing
My interest rising
Was it a doorway to hell
Or an hell of a doorway
A deal made
An entity dead
Beware of Halloween
Reapers are mean!!

The poem may sound silly but that was the gist of the story. A Halloween night with trick or treating, and a game of hide and seek between siblings led them to the basement where a strange door opened, and somet
Shanannigans
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, short-story
This is a quick little read, meant to get you heart pounding, and your flesh crawling. And it does, for the most part.

The town has a dirty little secret and Gregory uncovers it while babysitting his little sister, and once learned, can never be buried again. In fact, Gregory’s life is changed forever and no one, not even his parents will help him.

Halloween night, Gregory confidently settles in for an evening of babysitting Imogen, hoping to prove to his parents that he is ready for an allowance.
Toni | Dark Reads
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-s, on-kindle-tbr
This was a fun nostalgic read for me, it reminded me of a slightly more adult version of the Goosebumps and Point Horror stories I loved as a child.

There was certainly some creepy imagery and some tense moments, a nice little Halloween bogyman story.

I often find with a Novella, especially as short as this one, I just don’t get the depth of character I crave when reading a book, also I felt the ending felt a little rushed but again this was due to the length of the book. It was left open enough f
Pavani Mathur
Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I love the descriptions in this book: the town, the family, the basement, everything. From the fateful Halloween night to the ominous strange door, everything is very well described. The characters are well-developed, and the plot is quite interesting. I liked the concept of the Reaper and the way in which it was attracted/repulsed in the town.

However, I feel that the story was cut off short, and the mystery revealed too soon. It was a little sudden and I feel the suspense could have gone on for
Jason Chapman
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good twist at the end and didn't go the way I had initially expect. Well written without the purple prose - dialogue was written with a good ear. Overall quick fun read.
Anie
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gregory and his sister love spending Halloween with the family. But this year is a bit different, Gregory is babysitting his sister for the first time.

It's going well at first until his sister goes down the basement.

Her disappearance is very hard on him, and when everyone seems to move on, he is stuck on that night. On what he saw, what really happened. When he decides to investigate, the truth he discoveries is even more horrible.

It's a good story, I was pulled in and the horror element is defi
Valerie - Cats Luv Coffee
Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
We all know the adage about not judging a book by its cover, but let's all just take a deep breath and admit that we don't give a hoot about the adage and judge away. You with me?

I'm a sucker for a cover that tells a story and Reaper's does that well. It's a fantastic example of using a cover that perfectly renders the story into art. While simplistic, that door on the cover is brooding and ominous. When I saw it, I had to know what was on the other side. Some doors, however, should never be op
Sandra Lopez
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s Halloween, and Gregory along with his little sister, Imogen, was free of parental supervision. At 13, he was finally man of the house. Having to deal with his bratty, whiny sister was tough…until she mysteriously disappears. Was she playing hide-and-seek? Where could she have gone?

Then he notices the door to the basement was open. But that door was always locked. With a sinking feeling, Greg enters the bleak and dark corridor, heart pounding in his chest. What was that noise? Footsteps? Mo
Ronni Webster
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a very vivd, quick-read thriller. My partner asked me if I was ok because I never just stop & read a whole book, ahem novella. I found myself sitting up with my hand over my mouth at least twice. I definitely didn’t foresee the ending! As someone who doesn’t read too often, this was a great escape from reality. Much congrats to the author.
Misty's Book Space

First I want to thank the author for providing me with a copy via R&R Book Tours in exchange for my honest review.

This was a really quick horror novella and I enjoyed it. If you've been following me for a while then you know I don't find things to be scary or creepy when most people do. I can totally see people being freaked out by this but it just didn't do that for me personally.

Honestly after finishing it when everything was revealed there were some things that made me mad regar
Stefanie Rls
– ‘The Magic Of Wor(l)ds’ blog (https://themagicofworlds.wordpress.com/) is a hobby, reviews and other bookish stuff on this site are done for free.
I’m grateful of receiving a free copy from the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review of this book. –

‘Reaper’ may be a short story, but it’s definitely worth reading it.
I thoroughly enjoyed it as it reminded me of the books I used to read when I was a young teen.
It’s not overly scary, but from the get-go you get a sort of feeling of doom.
T
M.D.
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Reaper: A Horror Novella – Creepy As Hell

Author Jonathan Pongratz has crafted a clever horror story that will have you guessing until the last minute. It is rare for me to be surprised by the ending of a book, but with Reaper I was. It is well crafted and well written. As a short story you have a limited amount of space to develop you characters and plot, this was not an issues for Reaper. The main character Greg is completely believable and relatable I never once felt he was too smart for his a
Emerald Dodge
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reaper is a marvelous little novella about a big subject: the boogeyman. Pongratz weaves a claustrophobic, tense story about one boy's quest to find out the truth about his sister's mysterious disappearance, and it doesn't disappoint.
Kaili Taghon  (Entertainingly Nerdy)
This book, for me anyways, is a cross between an episode of supernatural and a more adult version of goosebumps. I finished this book in a day and really enjoyed it. Will definitely read more of Jonathan's books!
Eliana Morgan
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book was awesome! I was addicted to the writing style and it made me feel right then and there with the characters. Thanks for letting me read the book. :)
Elaine Schafer-Lassen
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. I didn’t want to put it down. If your looking for a thriller this is a great read. Hoping there will be sequel.
Randall Krzak
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While not a genre I normally read, Jonathan’s writing is very smooth and he’s come up with an exciting plot. The characters are well-crafted. Gregory ends up in the middle of a puzzling nightmare. Things only get worse when he uncovers the chilling reason behind the disappearance of not only his sister, but other children–all at Halloween. Who will go missing next time?
loopyloulaura
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have fond memories of my teenage years sat reading Point Horror books. I think that teens have a passion for horror, maybe because of the emotional and hormonal changes making them want an adrenaline rush. Horror is also grown up, something you’ve waited for through your childhood to access.
Reaper is firmly in that tradition. Gregory’s parents are going out in Halloween and leaving him in charge of his little sister Immy. They have always hated the spooky basement but during a game of hide and
Jessica Belmont
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love horror stories. I always enjoy finding them, and of course, now that it’s September, I am anticipating Halloween, so Reaper was a perfect read for this time of year. This is a quick novella, meant to get your blood pumping.

Jonathan Pongratz’s story of the Boggie-Man was entertaining. I enjoyed it as the creepy horror filled moments came, and I think this novella did what it set out to do. A quick read, and less than 100 pages, had me picking up and finishing this up, in the dark of course
Jessica Bronder
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gregory has been begging his parents to let him babysit his sister for a while. He gets his wish on Halloween when his parents go out. But things go wrong when Gregory is playing hide and seek with Imogen, his sister and she is taken into a hidden door in the basement. After his parents return home there is the initial search for Imogen but then they start acting like she was never around. Of course Gregory is not going to let the disappearance of Imogen go forgotten and discovers there is a lot ...more
Liliyana Shadowlyn
Shelves: 2019-reads
An absolutely chilling novella (great for young adult or middle grade). However, I feel like it didn't reach its full potential by being cut short into a novella. I think expanded this could easily be a five out of five. I felt like the ending was a bit rushed after all the buildup. Overall a great quick read for a dark and stormy night.
IEG
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reaper follows siblings Gregory and Imogene on Halloween night--a rather boring one, too.
However, this boring night ends with an entirely life-altering event...

If you like fun Halloween movies or grew up with books like Goosebumps, you may enjoy this book!

Something I really like is the timeless feel of it, hitting some rather warm nostalgic notes despite the chilling beats it hits. I also enjoy that, while it does feel familiar in its beginnings, it takes an interesting turn as you delve deeper
Ariel
Mar 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019
Went into this novella expecting it to be a lot more thrilling and scary. When I think horror, I think of things that make my skin crawl. I feel the story was there but could have been elaborated on further and a lot more well written. I understand that it’s a novella so it’s going to be short and that allows for less time to develop the story but with that said, I still feel there could have been a lot more done with this story to make it that much better. What lacked the most for me was charac ...more
Amy (DemonKittie)
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, read-in-2019
** I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for a review.**

I won't say that this book was not what I expected, but it felt like the end was not as fulfilling as the lead up to it was. It was very promising, but also seemed predictable. It was short and not a bad read, just not what I expected.
Amy
Paytin
Apr 10, 2019
Erica
Apr 12, 2019
Jonathan Pongratz is a writer and author of captivating horror, urban fantasy, and paranormal stories. When he’s not writing, he’s busy being a bookworm, video game junkie, and karaoke vocalist. A former resident of Dallas, he currently resides in Kansas City with his halloween cat Ajax. By day he works magic in finance, by night he creates dark and mesmerizing worlds.