Start by marking “A Witch in Time” as Want to Read:

A Witch in Time

A young witch is cursed to relive a doomed love affair through many lifetimes, as both troubled muse and frustrated artist, in this haunting debut novel.
In 1895, sixteen-year-old Juliet LaCompte has a passionate, doomed romance with the married Parisian painter Auguste Marchant. When her mother -- a witch -- attempts to cast a curse on Marchant, she unwittingly summons a
ebook
Expected publication: February 11th 2020 by Redhook

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Feb 11, 2020
    A young witch is cursed to relive a doomed love affair through many lifetimes, as both troubled muse and frustrated artist, in this haunting debut ...more

Format: Kindle book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 9 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Dec 15 - Dec 22, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about A Witch in Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Witch in Time

Start your review of A Witch in Time
    Elaine
    Nov 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Thank you to NetGalley for A Witch in Time.

They might regret it because I'm gonna rip it a new one.

I was really excited to read A Witch in Time because the premise had all the elements I look for: magic, demons, horror, love, tragic love!

I'm so there!

Then, I started reading.

** Danger Will Robinson! Spoilers ahead **

I disliked Juliet. Intensely. She is a silly little girl with no redeemable qualities.

In fact, the urge to punch her throughout the years only grew with my intense dislike for
    Ginger Pollard
    Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This is an enjoyable book about a young girl who is condemned by her mother to die at the age of 34, then to be reborn again. She lives four exciting lives. No spoilers! I liked it very much! Recommend!
    I received an ARC of this book from Netgalley. Thank you, Netgalley!
    All opinions are my own.
    C.
    Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: giveaways-arcs
    I received this e-arc from NetGalley and the author for an honest and unbiased review that is solely my own.

The title and especially the cover are what caught my attention when I first saw this novel. The premise was icing on the cake. I want to preface by stating this is not like a young adult novel of curses, witches, demons and love. This isn’t even like Practical Magic level of witchery. This novel is a curse of revenge done by a lesser witch to “protect” her daughter but it backfires,
    Rianna
    Oct 19, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    I simply do not like this, it felt to me like a cobbling of stories that I've read and if I'm going to read stories like that I'd rather read the original books.
    The Library Lady
    Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: ebooks, edelweiss
    This was something I added to my tablet via Edelweiss, because it looked like the sort of brain candy I need at this time of the year, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it--to the point of reading it in a single afternoon. It is well written, and you really get involved in the lives of the main character--and yes, that's "lives" plural and "character" singular.
    My one issue is the endless name/label dropping in Helen's parts of the story. I don't need to know all the brand
    Kim
    Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I received this book via a Goodreads giveaway, and am providing a review in exchange.

Helen Lambert is not what she seems.

A 33 yo Washington, DC professional, she’s sophisticated, fashionable, and recently divorced from Roger, the head of the prestigious Hanover Collection of art. In a vengeful moment, she wishes harm will befall Roger. Imagine her surprise when her wish comes true.

Helen's wish, and its resultant effects, sets in motion the final phase of a 100+ yo curse that has condemned her to
    Iryna KL
    Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: arc
    I received an e-galley of this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you publisher!

2.5 out of 5 stars

A Witch in Time is a story of a young witch, an artist and a demon cursed to be reborn over and over again to live out a doomed love affair. Once I heard the words witch, artist and demon - I was so there! I was so excited about this book and the cover is gorgeous.

Well this book was not what I expected. The characters were flat, one dimensional, the book jumped the shark
    Lindsay Card
    Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I received an advanced reader’s copy from a Goodreads giveaway.

Such an intriguing story!

I really wasn’t sure if I was going to love this book when I first started reading it. At times, the beginning seemed to move too fast, and at other times too slow. But once you get the hang of switching between the stories, start reading more from the other characters’ perspectives, and learn more about those people, the book really takes off. I was so pulled in by each person’s life story, and I loved how
    Victoria Freter
    Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Pat
    Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Witches, demons, curses, romance, time travel, and period settings, there's not much to dislike in this time spanning novel from Constance Sayers. I appreciated the author giving detailed color for the time periods and the settings of the novel, from rural France to Paris, to Washington D.C., to Los Angeles, etc. I like to visit places in my reading. I could recognize LA and DC in this book. The romance was poignant at times, and one was rooting for the female protagonist. The ending was ...more
    Kris
    Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: kindle, own
    Received ARC through #Goodread Giveaway. I would have probably bought it anyway, given the synopsis. Finished the book early this morning - which is saying a lot. The fact that I stayed up 2 nights in a row because I couldn't put it down means this is a bestseller. Loved the book! The story itself was so well written- absolutely beautiful. Sayers' ability to capture the 'Zeitgeist' of several periods (1880s-2013) made the read all the more engaging for its feel of authenticity. She also managed ...more
    Sheri
    Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I'm a huge fan of books with a supernatural theme and this one was done wonderfully. I really enjoyed the way the author intertwine the use of the various characters going back and forth Through Time with the main character and her various past lives. It worked very well for the plot and the character development was excellent. The main character, is bound to a demon for her entire life by a mother that was trying to save her back in the 19th century. Without going into too much detail we find ...more
    Meghan
    Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: library
    I received this book as an ARC from Redhook publishing in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I am a big fan of books such as Time Travler's Wife, and Outlander and I knew I was in for a real treat for A Witch in Time. Everything from the plot, characters and theme I really loved from this book and the plot twist that Juliet is bound to this demon for life from her mother that was trying to save her back in the 18th century and I
    Angie
    Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
    There’s some magic here, plenty of star-cross’d lovers, a little light demon business, some blood rituals, and trips through late 19th century France, 1930s Hollywood, 1970’s LA, and recent-times D.C.

The only thing keeping me from rating this book higher is that for a story that hinges upon a demon-driven witch-curse, there is remarkably little of any of that to be found. The curse is almost an afterthought. I mean, I get that the real story here is the love story, but…I feel a little let down.
    Amy Mannette
    A Witch in Time, is a generational story of a young girl cursed by her mother to live in a never ending life cycle loop. Each time she is born again, to relive a doomed love and die young. That is until the 4th re-birth where she figures out how to reconcile all of her lives and end the curse. This book started out slow, I almost gave up, but it does get better as it goes along. It is a lengthy book, that does drag at times. However, Sayers does a good job of revealing new pieces of information ...more
    Jess
    Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Helen goes on a blind date that changes her life when a man from her past shows up and turns everything she thinks she knows about her life upside down. A wonderful telling of four very different lifetimes that tie together kept me on the edge of my seat. I really liked this book- the flow of the story could have easily been confusing, but it reads seamlessly. I had a hard time putting it down!

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.
    Kayla Tornello
    Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: adult, giveaways
    I wasn't sure about this book at first, but I really enjoyed as I got further into the story. I liked how the stories from all the different time periods wound together. It was interesting how the same person was so different when they were raised in a different time and place. The romance elements were sweet, but not too over the top. I appreciated how things wrapped up at the end of the story.

I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway. Yay!
    Carol Perreault
    Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: fromnetgalley
    In this story, a young woman is the muse of a painter in the late 19th century. Her mother casts a curse on them, which was supposed to separate them, but instead causes the relationship to be relived over and over again. There is a young woman, who falls for the wrong man, and an administrator who protects the woman...
    Heidi Gardner
    Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
    So, I thoroughly *enjoyed* this book. In the advanced copy there were numerous typographical mistakes, but the story was captivating. I read mostly nonfiction, so I need my fiction to keep moving and usually have a little history-- a touch of magic doesn't hurt. This one ticked all the boxes and I was sad when it was over!
    Heather
    This was a surprisingly good, well-written book. The different time periods were truly authentic, and the characters themselves matched the eras they lived in, while staying true to their own unique selves. I would definitely recommend.

I received a free ARC of this book.
    Sue
    Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: net-galley
    Thanks to Net Galley for the ARC of A Witch in Time.

I’m always skeptical when a book is described as “for fans of...” any of my favorite books, such as Time Traveler’s Wife, in this case, This book incorporates magic, various places in time, some art, some history. A truly enjoyable read.
    Amanda
    Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    A Witch in Time is the perfect mix of time travel, romance and fantasy! The layers of the story are so well intertwined, you will travel seamlessly between time periods, locations and characters. It's a hard book to put down.
    Carol
    Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I enjoy books about the supernatural and this didn't disappoint. The main characters were well developed. It was easy to empathize with them in spite of the fact that they were other than, or more than human. I couldn't stop reading it and was disappointed when it ended.
    Lucy
    Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
    A fascinating magical fusion debut mixing fictional characters with real historical figures - 'Groundhog Day' and TV's 'Quantum Leap' blended with the romance of 'Somewhere in Time'
    Erica
    Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Review coming soon...
    Iryna KL
    3 stars - full review to come
    Carolyn Klear
    Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This was a good read. Interesting concept for "time travel".
    Kasey
    Nov 02, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Thank you for the opportunity to review this book as a giveaway recipient. I am excited to read it and will update my thoughts on this book soon!
    Rosey
    Aug 27, 2019

• The Weaver (Weaver Trilogy, #1)
    • The Queen's Fortune: A Novel of Desiree, Napoleon, and the Dynasty That Outlasted the Empire
    • The Missing Letters of Mrs Bright
    • The Dead Girls Club
    • Dreamland
    • The Poor and the Haunted
    • Winterwood
    • The Lady and the Highwayman
    • The Poison Garden
    • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
    • The Bone Houses
    • Dangerous Alliance: An Austentacious Romance
    • Nothing to See Here
    • Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas: Zero's Journey Book Three
    • The Bakeshop at Pumpkin and Spice
    • Big Lies in a Small Town
    • Christmas Shopaholic
    • The Vine Witch (Vine Witch, #1)
    Constance Sayers' debut novel, A Witch in Time, will be published in February 2020 from Orbit (Hachette Book Group). You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @constancesayers.

A finalist for Alternating Current’s 2016 Luminaire Award for Best Prose, her short stories have appeared in Souvenir and Amazing Graces: Yet Another Collection of Fiction by Washington Area Women as well as The Coil. Her