Start by marking “Maigret and the Saturday Caller” as Want to Read:
Maigret and the Saturday Caller

Maigret and the Saturday Caller (Maigret #59)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  324 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Léonard Planchon, a tense man with a harelip, goes to Maigret with an unusual problem. He wants to kill his wife, or perhaps his wife and her lover, who for two years now have been making him sleep on a cot in the dining room. He has even worked out a plan to hide their bodies in concrete. Uneasily investigating a murder that has not yet been committed, Maigret explores th ...more
Published April 21st 2003 by Mariner Books (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Maigret and the Saturday Caller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maigret and the Saturday Caller

Jan-Maat
This was a fun read, very atmospheric with a distinctive tone and sense of place (late 50s early 60s Paris). It is a slightly world weary, police procedural, kitchen sink story in which the first question to be answered is if a crime has been committed or not. The story has such a made for TV (or possibly the radio) feel that I could almost see the comb overs.

It is economically written with a lot conveyed just through dialogue so incidental details really shine out. Mr & Mrs Maigret's new te
Karen
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Georges Simenon's writing is as distinctively French as the Gallic shrug. And just as eloquent. And almost as taciturn. I am so glad that none of that was lost in the translation.

This is a short book -- my edition was 110 pages. It contains three distinct mysteries: The main one that Maigret solves; the secondary one that the department solves "offstage"; and a third one that plays quietly in the background like white noise and remains unsolved.

This was my first Simenon book, but it definitely
Gaetano
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
L’unico giallo, questa volta, è quello della copertina (con la curiosa foto di Henri Cartier-Bresson).

A parte ciò è un bel libro da leggere che trasmette quasi subito la tristezza e la tragica fine incombente sugli eventi.

Maigret, insolitamente, riceve a casa sua un sabato sera, con la moglie pronta per la cena, uno strano individuo che gli annuncia la sua intenzione di commettere un doppio delitto, di uccidere moglie e amante.

Inizia così un romanzo in cui gli ambienti, i personaggi, i dialoghi
Gary
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perfect focus and logic tell a ironic tragedy.
Jrobertus
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Maybe it's the horrible political environment but I find myself hiding out in these Simenon novels as purely escapist pleasure. In this novel a rather pathetic man, Léonard Planchon, scarred with a harelip, tells Maigret he has no choice but to kill his wife and/or her hairy chested lover. The latter is an employee of his company, but has moved into his house and displaced him from the bedroom, and the office. The cuckold is at his wits end and though no crime has been committed, Maigret starts ...more
Sara
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
M. Planchon is another of Simenon's particularly pitiable yet somehow noble characters, and yet he is beginning to stand up for himself, when he disappears...
We see and feel Maigret's habitual life and the refuge it is for him, as well as the way it leads him to the small observations which solve the case.
"Sunday morning sleep was a different kind of sleep from that of other days. It had a different quality, and a different feel, too. For instance, every half-hour, he would hear bells, and he w
Jill Hutchinson
May 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Another entry in the seemingly endless Maigret series and, as are all Simenon's books, it is very short. Maigret comes home after work and finds a visitor waiting for him. The man states that he is considering killing his wife who is having an affair and asks Maigret what he should do. Obviously Maigret tries to talk him out of this scheme and sends him on this way but can't get the visit out of his mind. What transpires is not exactly what the reader might expect. Simenon's spare narrative and ...more
TAB
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Talk about a quick read, my buddy has over a hundred of these novellas and I'll have to go visit him in December when I need to hit my reading goal.

The story itself was alright, not a lot of twists or mysteries about it, plenty of details though and very realistic. This is the stuff that most police cases are probably like, pretty mundane but important work nevertheless. I like the style of the writing though and will definitely seek out more Maigret stories in the future.
Karmakosmik
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gialli
Un altro Maigret minore e dai toni fortemente negativi. In questo nuovo caso, la vittima o presunto futuro omicida, si presenta direttamente a casa di Maigret, dopo averlo atteso invano per diversi sabati al commissariato, chiedendogli un aiuto per la sua straziante storia. Una storia lenta e opprimente, che finisce nel modo esatto da me previsto.
Marietta Livada
Ο Σιμενον δεν προδίδει ποτέ τον αναγνώστη. Η ατμόσφαιρα του Παρισιού που δεν υπάρχει πια, οι χαμένες ζωές δυστυχισμενων ανθρώπων, ο Μαιγκρέ επίμονος και διορατική, είναι όλα εδώ.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Maigret gets a "case" delivered to his door in this installment. A man with a harelip has a habit of turning up at the Quai des Orfevres on Saturdays, waiting around to see Maigret and then leaving before he actually talks to him. Just another nutter, thinks everyone...but is he? One evening he turns up on Maigret's doorstep and tells him that he's planning to kill his wife and her fancy man. He's obviously had a few, so Maigret isn't sure whether to believe him or not. However, being Maigret, h ...more
Arash Ashrafzadeh
شاید 4.5 امتیاز دقیق تری باشه واسه این کتاب. اصن نمیدونم چرا گودریدز امتیازاشو از 20 نمیذاره !
کتاب خیلی خوبی بود. وسطاش یه کم خسته کننده شد ولی آخر ماجرا خیلی خوب شد. کاش فیلماش رو هم بسازن.
فک میکنم واسه همین دلیل هم جذب داستانای کارآگاهی-جنایی شدم که یهو آدمو غافلگیر میکنن با یه اتفاق غیرمنتظره!
تصور کردن صحنه ها هم با توصیفای نویسنده تا حد قابل قبولی ممکن بود و جزییات بیخودی نداشت.
ازین به بعد بیشتر از این ژانر میخونم !
Gabor Nyiro
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
Talán nem a legjobb Maigret történet, egy kicsit szokatlan volt, bár nem tudnám megmagyarázni, hogy miért. Hozta a szokásos kliséket, azaz most is szinte ott érezhetjük magunkat Párizs utcáin és kiskocsmáiban. A felügyelő most nem a zsenialitására, hanem megérzéseire alapoz, és ahogy azt el is várjuk, természetesen most is sikerrel jár. Eléggé felüdítő volt ebben a rohanó világban egy ilyen nyugodt, lecsendesült és lassan csordogáló történetet olvasni. Nekem tetszett!
Steve Johnson
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Light, quick and entertaining. Simenon makes Maigret human and his characters believable.
Judith
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my small joys in life is to come across a Simenon in French that doesnt cost an arm and a leg. This one, Simenon et le client du samedi, was at my library's used book sale for a quarter. What a steal!

Maigret is the middle-aged, childless but happily married (to the never-named, subservient Mme Maigret) detective whose quiet humanity and persistence allow him to press through the Parisian fog and an ever-expanding police bureaucracy to solve the everyday crimes of a big city. His trusty su
Mary Ronan Drew
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Georges Simenon's Maigret mysteries are unlike any others I've encountered. They are so low key, so slow-moving, devoid of brightness or suspense it would be easy to overlook how clever they are and how well constructed.

Maigret and the Saturday Caller is typical of these sub fusc stories. For weeks, every Saturday, a man has been coming to 36, quai des orfevres, the headquarters of the Paris police, asking for Inspector Maigret, then leaving before he gets an interview with the famous detective.
Tony
Feb 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simenon, Georges. MAIGRET AND THE SATURDAY CALLER. (1962). ****. Maigret notices that every Saturday morning a middle-aged man with a forlorn look waits in his reception room. Never having the time to see him immediately, the man has gone by the time Maigret gets to him. One Saturday, while walking home from work, Maigret senses that he is being followed, but when he turns to look, there is noone there. When he arrives home, Mrs. Maigret meets him at the door and tells him that there is a man wa ...more
Donna
Aug 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of police mysteries and human psychology
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Georges Simenon was a Belgian boy genius who published his first novel at 17. From then until his death in 1989, he went on to publish an average of three or more books a year, each a fascinating character study that blurs the artificial distinctions between “good guy” and “bad guy,” sane and insane. His most famous character, Commissaire Maigret, is a police inspector with uncanny, sympathetic insight into the hearts of criminals and victims alike.

Like detectives, authors of police procedurals
Stven
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cover artwork is misguided: Maigret's Saturday "caller" does not telephone but actually arrives on Maigret's doorstep. After that the phone is involved, though, so I suppose it's okay.

Once upon an autumn I started reading Maigret, and I'm reasonably sure I've read all of them. Now and then I come back to enjoy one a second -- or third -- it's hard to be sure -- time. They're a bit more like long stories than short novels. Very few weak links in the chain. You could start with just about any
Marti Martinson
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had my suspicion as to the outcome halfway through the book. That was due to Simenon's talent and not my genius: I have only solved one other murder mystery and it was by another author. Simenon's novels are not long but there is nothing missing. I have yet to feel cheated by him in characterization, plot, dialogue, imagery. Inspector Maigret is a workhorse, but his bout with the flu makes him very human in this installment. Infidelity and greed make a proper backdrop to this story.

Forget the
Banbury
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it
This book brings out the ambiguity and changeability of the feelings of one human being to another. Maigret's emotional response to Planchard is nuanced and complicated, and as in real life, changes from time to time. The complexity and changes are in part because Planchard himself is a complicated character, for whom one may feel simultaneously sorry for and frustrated by, and in part because Maigret's own mind operates on more than one level at a time.
Helen
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I was sure I had read this one before, probably before I started keeping a log. Then I looked at my old Copperfield checklist and saw that I hadn't. I suppose I must have seen a dramatization, perhaps with Bruno Cremer. It has that comfortable, familiar feel that all the Maigret stories have for me, no matter how sordid and sad the lives he is dealing with.
Knut Sigurd
Det er ein del ting å like med desse bøkene, ein av dei er koss Simenon let tida gå. Etterforskinga er detaljert nok, men likevel er stilen knapp og tilhogd. Her går det månadsvis frå etterforskinga er ferdig til Maigret må møte i retten, og ellipsen blir elegant behandla med noko som like gjerne kunne vore "så sa dei ikkje meir den vinteren".
Anne-Marie
Feb 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: legal-thriller
Good book, written in the 1920's. Takes place in Paris.
Maughn Gregory
Sep 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
My first Maigret mystery and glad there are so many more to come! Thanks to Jaan for introducing me to this shrewd but humane Parisian police detective.
Laura C.
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gialli
Bello, ma così triste...
Mikee
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: maigret, simenon
"The Maigrets get their first TV!
No plot whatsoever. Just the usual character development. The ending was special"
Clemens BUUR
Oct 29, 2010 added it
Shelves: suspense
Breathleessly...
Liliana
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Maigret at his stubborn self, I would say. Loved it as usual.
  • The Bride of Newgate
  • Falange armata
  • Il gioco degli specchi (Commissario Montalbano, #18)
  • I delitti di via Medina-Sidonia
  • Il Labirinto Greco
  • Crimini
  • Le perfezioni provvisorie
  • The Good Wife's Guide (Le M�nagier de Paris): A Medieval Household Book
  • The Best of Warren Ellis: DOWN and Tales of the Witchblade
  • Kismet
  • Unforgivable
  • A Splash of Red (Jemima Shore, #3)
  • Comeback (Parker, #17)
  • La cura del gorilla
  • Nestor Burma: Brouillard au pont de Tolbiac
  • Safer Dead
  • Per cosa si uccide
  • Murder in Pigalle (Aimee Leduc Investigations #14)
Simenon was one of the most prolific writers of the twentieth century, capable of writing 60 to 80 pages per day. His oeuvre includes nearly 200 novels, over 150 novellas, several autobiographical works, numerous articles, and scores of pulp novels written under more than two dozen pseudonyms. Altogether, about 550 million copies of his works have been printed.

He is best known, however, for his 75
More about Georges Simenon

Maigret (1 - 10 of 76 books)
  • Pietr the Latvian (Maigret, #1)
  • The Carter of 'La Providence' (Maigret, #2)
  • The Late Monsieur Gallet (Maigret, #3)
  • The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien (Maigret, #4)
  • A Man's Head (Maigret #5)
  • The Yellow Dog (Maigret #6)
  • The Night at the Crossroads (Maigret #7)
  • A Crime in Holland (Maigret #8)
  • The Grand Banks Café (Maigret, #9)
  • The Dancer at the Gai-Moulin (Maigret #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Last Passenger
  • The Thief
  • From the Cradle
  • Intrusion
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Two to Die For (Lucy Kincaid, #12.5; Max Revere, #3.5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • If Tomorrow Comes
    $12.74 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Into the Darkest Corner
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Skewed
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unintended Consequences (Innocent Prisoners Project #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Girl Number One
  • No Time To Blink
  • What You Wish For
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
  • Don't Get Caught
  • Disappearance at Devil's Rock
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (Nadia Tesla, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Kindred (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #5)
  • Local Girl Missing
  • Finding Jake
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Punishment (Detective Barnes, #1)
  • Terminal Rage
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain #6)
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Sunday Silence (Frieda Klein, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • Before You Leap
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • An Invisible Client
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Eight
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Sin and Swoon (Blood and Bone, #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • The Company of Demons
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Fifth Letter
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
  • Darkness
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Redemption Games (John Rain #4)
  • Tips for Living
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Boy from Reactor 4 (Nadia Tesla, #1)
  • Carthage
    $8.49 $2.99
  • The Lost Empress (Genealogical Crime Mystery, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Hounded (An Andy Carpenter Novel)
  • Girls on Fire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Back Road
  • The Other Widow
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Suckers (Jack Daniels and Associates)
  • No Time for Goodbye
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Edinburgh Twilight (Ian Hamilton Mysteries #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Extremis (John Rain, #5)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Chopping Spree (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Not by Sight (Ozark Mountain Trilogy #1)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Winner Take All (John Rain #3)
  • Twist of Faith
  • The Most Dangerous Animal of All
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Night Villa
    $13.99 $1.99
  • A Clean Kill in Tokyo (John Rain #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Circle of Bones (The Shipwreck Adventures, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Murder of Mary Russell (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes, #14)
    $11.99 $1.99