Start by marking “Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1)” as Want to Read:
Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1)

Little House in the Big Woods (Little House #1)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  199,235 Ratings  ·  4,663 Reviews
Based on the real-life adventures of Laura Ingalls Wilder, Little House in the Big Woods is the first book in the award-winning Little House series, which has captivated generations of readers. This edition features the classic black-and-white artwork from Garth Williams.

Little House in the Big Woods takes place in 1871 and introduces us to four-year-old Laura, who lives i
Published October 14th 1953 by Harper & Row, Publishers (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Little House in the Big Woods, please sign up.
Yaaresse That made me laugh so hard. Aside from, as you said, they are both considered classics, I can't think of a single thing they have in common except…moreThat made me laugh so hard. Aside from, as you said, they are both considered classics, I can't think of a single thing they have in common except that the titles both begin with "L". Clearly the internet gremlins are playing with the algorithms again. (less)
Autumn No. It is based on her life, but it's not 100% true. Even so, it's a great book. :)

Summer
I started rereading this series because of John Scieszka's bizarre hatred of Little House on the Prairie. In attempting the perfectly noble task of getting young boys to read more, Scieszka has continuously heaped scorn on that book, banishing it to the girl ghetto of the Sweet Valley High and American Girls series. Putting aside the unfair comparison to syndicate titles published for purely commercial reasons, his assesment of Little House as a book purely for girls is infuriating.

For one thing
Miranda Reads
It just goes to show, you don't need magic to make a series magical.
For a series written so long ago and geared towards young children, this holds so well. Every time I go back to this story, I am just as enraptured and enthralled as I was when I was a little girl.

Laura Ingalls and her family (Ma, Pa, Mary a
Brina
My two younger daughters recently discovered the Little House series and are speeding through the books this summer. As I am in between books and wanted to avoid a reading rut, I decided to revisit the first book in the series for myself. As I am always on the lookout for quality children's books, I spent a few hours rereading the beginning of a series that I had enjoyed when I was my daughters' age.

Little House in the Big Woods begins the classic children's saga that follows Laura Ingalls Wild
Deanna
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Little House on the Prairie books bring back so many good memories. I have been looking for my box of old books for awhile now but still haven't found it. I'm really hoping it didn't get lost when I moved last year. There are so many books that I would love to re-read.

I'm not sure why I didn't read these to my daughter. I think she had so many books that we just never got around to it.

Little House in the Big Woods is the first book of the series and will always be my favorite, but I did en
Duane
This is the first book in the Little House Series, and somewhat overlooked due to the popularity of the second book, Little House on the Prairie. I've read both and liked both; this volume being a wonderful introduction to Laura and the Ingalls familly. I didn't read this series as a child, but as an adult I've come to appreciate it's beauty, and it's importance in the canon of American Children's Literature. Some may say this is too simple for adults to appreciate, and starting out it seems tha ...more
Crumb
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting interpretation of what life was like in 1871. There is discussion of what life was like with absolutely no technology. This is a book children would definitely warm to more than an adult, in my opinion.
Laurel Wicke
Mar 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-logan
Reading this to my daughter has helped me rediscover the joy of the Little House series all over again. Probably the best gift this little book has to offer is that of perspective. How blessed but complicated our lives seem now. How very different and yet the same. I loved sharing a slice of history with my child who has no concept of life before dvr's, minivans, and microwaves. That a child could be happy with a corncob doll was a unique thought. This series should be on the reading list for ev ...more
Brad
For a few years now, I've been interviewing my twins after they finish reading their books, posting those interviews on their own goodreads profile. My girl, Brontë, finished reading Little House in the Big Woods about a month ago, and I read it this week (I always read or reread the books they've read.) You can see that interview with me right here:

Brontë: So first ... did you like it? did you love it? or did you hate? did you think it was okay? or did you really like it?

Pa: I loved it. It was
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
I was obsessed with the Litte House books and the TV show when I was a child. I think I began reading and re-reading the books in second grade. This time around I listened to it on audio, and it was my first time "reading" the book as an adult. I have to admit, I think this book may have played a big part in my choice to be a vegetarian at a young age! It's hard to imagine my 8-year-old self making sense out of the hunting, etc. The farm life in the woods is not for me! That said, the book will ...more
Tatiana
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No plot, but still an addictive story of a life style both idyllic and boring as hell. And torturous Sundays!
Alex
Sep 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: stealth libertarians
Shelves: 2016
Little House in the Big Woods is what Walden wishes it was, or could have been if Thoreau wasn't such a dick. Laura and her family aren't misanthropic creeps - and they have real skills, unlike vacationing Thoreau. But the book is about self-reliance, getting back to the basics, and living in harmony with nature. It shares a philosophy with Walden - along with two other sortof less-great things.

The first is a hopeless lack of plot, and that frustrated me when I first read it. And I do mean first
Erin
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
A walk down memory lane. Although I have a whole bunch of new books to read, I felt like grabbing a childhood favorite from my stacks tonight. The first book in the "Little House" series introduces readers to Laura Ingalls, her Ma &Pa, and sisters, Mary and Carrie living in their log home in the "big woods" of Wisconsin.

The thirteen chapters in this book serve as vignettes of what life was like for settler families, the roles and responsibilities of each family member, the customs and teach
Nusrat Mahmood
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, finished-series
ঘুম থেকে উঠছি, দাঁত মাঝছি, নাসতা খাচছি, পুতুল নিয়ে খেলছি, ঘরের কাজ করছি, খাবার দাবার খাচছি, গা ধুয়ে ফের ঘুমুতে যাচছি। এটা একটা গলপ হলো? বডড একঘেয়ে হয়ে যাবেনা শুধু এসমসত বরণনা করে বিশাল একটা গলপ ফেঁদে বসলে? সাধারণ জঞান তাই বলছিল কিনতু শেষতক তা হয়ে উঠলো না। কেন? কারণ এগুলো কে বলছে তাও তো দেখা লাগবে , নাকি?

লরার গলপ তার ছোটট বাড়িটা আর সেখানে তার সারাদিনের খুঁটিনাটি নিয়ে। তার সাথে আছে তার দুই বোন , মা এবং পা! পা কিনতু খুব সাহসী। একটুও বসে থাকেনা। এই শিকারে বের হচছে, এই ধান মাড়াই নিয়ে হুড়োহুড়ি লাগাচছ
Theresa
I wish I had read this when I was younger, because I probably would have enjoyed it more. In third grade, we were all told to read these books, but Harry Potter had just come out. Obviously, dragons and magic were more interesting than life in the Midwest, much to my teacher and my parents dismay. But back to Laura Ingalls...

This book is perfect for teaching any child what life was like in the late 1800's, living in the woods trying to survive. Now, it seems utterly preposterous to live this way
Prayudi Setiadharma
I found this book among my aunts' collections in my grandpa's house when i was living there for three-months back in 1987. Once I read it, I never stop to read over and over again.

Well, the life of the Ingalls is wonderful indeed. But what attracts me more is the fact that this book always makes me hungry all the time. You don't believe me, do you? Well, don't take my words for it, just try yourself...especially when you're reading through the "pouring hot maple syrup in the snow", "roasting th
Cindy Rollins
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, morningtime
But Laura lay awake a little while, listening to Pa’s fiddle softly playing and to the lonely sound of the wind in the Big Woods. She looked at Pa sitting on the bench by the hearth, the firelight gleaming on his brown hair and beard and glistening on the honey-brown fiddle. She looked at Ma, gently rocking and knitting.

She thought to herself, “This is now.”

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
This might be my favorite book of all time. It's certainly one of the first I remember reading as a child, and it's always been an enormous source of comfort. I tried to find the other edition I have (I've got the first edition minus its dust jacket, along with the paperback set of the series), but no luck on here unfortunately. I treasure all of my books, and the Little House/Rocky Ridge series(es) in particular, but this may be the best of them. This is the one where I find myself quoting as I ...more
Suzanne
It just isn't possible for me to be objective about the Little House books. They were THE go to books for me as a child, and the comfort books as a teenager. This one is certainly written at a younger level, but I still loved reading about all of the work it took to run a farm - from making butter and cheese and straw hats, etc. Boy do I take a lot for granted. Anyway, I enjoyed it yet again! Perfect finals week comfort-reading :)
Kelly ...
Dec 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, fiction
Ahhhh.... lovely memories come with this series of books!
Celeste
In the past few months, I’ve developed a bit of an obsession with the television show Little House on the Prairie. It’s something I’ve seen bits and pieces of throughout my life, as there were always reruns playing on some channel. But I’ve never sat down and watched it from the beginning as I’m doing now, and I’ve really been enjoying it. I just had a desperate desire for something pure and wholesome that almost always has a happy ending, and that’s what I’ve found in this series. Since I love ...more
Kathleen
Aug 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents and teachers as a read-aloud book, young readers of all ages
I did a wonderful year-long read aloud with my kindergarten class last year, and it was a fantastic experience. They asked so many good questions, and it spawned so much good discussion, exciting writing and enthusiasm about the books. Kids talked, wrote and drew pictures about different episodes all year. I highly recommend it. I would have loved to integrate this with more study of one-room schoolhouses and our city so many years ago (maybe for 2nd grade?). Part of the reason this worked well ...more
Dawnie
This was very cute and quiet a bit longer than expected, but a fun and nice read overall.

I never knew about this book series as a child -be it because i didn't grow up in an english speaking country or because my childhood books of this age group where mostly Astrid Lindgren books- but i can defiantly see why its is such a beloved series.

Its just nice to see a book about very simple but lovely things.

About family and love and helping each other out, no added drama or sad moments that seem com
Belinda
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars - Audiobook - I have dyslexia -
D
Aug 01, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of American lore
The first installment in the Little House series is, hands down, my favorite. Unlike later books, this window into a young Laura's first home, where for the only time in her life she's surrounded by extended family, their cultures, and their heritage, stands in contrast to the transience that marks her well into adulthood. Little House in the Big Woods takes comfort in housekeeping's simple pleasures, Pa's chilling stories told before a crackling fire in a snug log cabin, and family communion. T ...more
Manny
Feb 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I didn't usually like girly books when I was a kid, but this one was an exception. Her matter-of-fact descriptions of life in the Big Woods were just so fascinating! The fact that the main character was a girl seemed pretty irrelevant.

Beth Ann and I have several times discussed writing a modern-day sequel entitled Little House in the Valley. Laura gets up early every morning to sort the spam and check the website. Then she squeezes orange juice and makes two big lattes for Daddy and his boyfrien
Diane
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
They say you can't go home again, but if you're rereading a beloved children's book, I think you can. I have happy memories of reading the Laura Ingalls Wilder books with my mother, and revisiting these wonderful stories of Laura and Mary and Ma and Pa made me feel as cozy and loved as I did when I was a girl. I'm looking forward to rereading the entire series.
Reese Copeland
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book to my 3 yo son. He seemed to enjoy it. It good good descriptions and seemed to have good values that are things I would want to teach him too. Last time I read it was when I was in school .
Krista Wright
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a sweet, simple book! I loved this series when I was a kid, and it's so fun to go back and read them all over again now.
Selene Matheson
3.5 Stars

As an adult these are not as interesting. I can see how children would love them though! They are very informative of the past.
Ashley
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading Little House on the Prairie when I was a child, but I never expanded my reading to the entire series. A reading challenge in a Goodreads group I participate in prompted me to read Little House in the Big Woods, and even though it was written for children, I still found it very enjoyable. Throughout the book Laura provides many stories from her childhood when they lived in the Big Woods of Wisconsin in the mid 1800s. I've always been intrigued by what life must have been like d ...more
  • Little Farm in the Ozarks (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #2)
  • Down to the Bonny Glen (Little House: The Martha Years, #3)
  • Betsy-Tacy and Tib (Betsy-Tacy, #2)
  • Felicity Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Felicity, #5)
  • Meet Kirsten: An American Girl (American Girls: Kirsten, #1)
  • Three Tales Of My Father's Dragon
  • All-of-a-Kind Family Downtown (All-of-a-Kind Family, #2)
  • Emily's Runaway Imagination
Ingalls wrote a series of historical fiction books for children based on her childhood growing up in a pioneer family. She also wrote a regular newspaper column and kept a diary as an adult moving from South Dakota to Missouri, the latter of which has been published as a book.
More about Laura Ingalls Wilder

Little House (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #2)
  • Farmer Boy (Little House, #3)
  • On the Banks of Plum Creek  (Little House, #4)
  • By the Shores of Silver Lake  (Little House, #5)
  • The Long Winter (Little House, #6)
  • Little Town on the Prairie  (Little House, #7)
  • These Happy Golden Years (Little House, #8)
  • The First Four Years  (Little House, #9)
  • On the Way Home: The Diary of a Trip from South Dakota to Mansfield, Missouri, in 1894  (Little House #10)
  • West from Home: Letters of Laura Ingalls Wilder, San Francisco, 1915  (Little House #11)

Fiction Deals

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Dragon's Teeth (The Lanny Budd Novels)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • My Dear Hamilton: A Novel of Eliza Schuyler Hamilton: Wife, Widow, and Warrior in Alexander Hamilton’s Quest for a More Perfect Union
  • The Shadow Queen
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Broken Verses
  • The Liar
  • The Hippopotamus
  • Happiness, Like Water
  • Moo
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
“She thought to herself, "This is now." She was glad that the cozy house, and Pa and Ma and the firelight and the music, were now. They could not be forgotten, she thought, because now is now. It can never be a long time ago.” 62 likes
“When the fiddle had stopped singing Laura called out softly, “What are days of auld lang syne, Pa?”

“They are the days of a long time ago, Laura,” Pa said. “Go to sleep, now.”

She thought to herself, “This is now.”

She was glad that the cosy house, and Pa and Ma and the firelight and the music, were now. They could not be forgotten, she thought, because now is now. It can never be a long time ago.”
15 likes