Jump to ratings and reviews

Badlands #8

Miscreants

Love is madness.
Love is anguish.
Ours was ill-fated from the beginning.

From best friends, to almost lovers, to this.
We were poetry. The kind that bled and wept.
We’d become a mess of euphoric bliss and mind-numbing pain.

The odds would be stacked against me in every way.
He’d come after me, of that I was sure.
Many would lose their lives, becoming casualties in our war.

A tale of a wolf pursuing a lamb, but with a masochistic twist.

For even lambs have teeth, and this one bites back.

*T-WARNING*
Miscreants is an enemies-to-lovers standalone full of explicit savagery and an OTT anti-hero. Some readers may find the content within objective. Discretion is highly advised!

Published February 1, 2021

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Natalie Bennett

121 books2,375 followers
Lover of all things pǝʇsıʍʇ & unusual.

I write unconventional 'romance' with strong elements of horror.

Find all my links here!
linktr.ee/AuthornatB

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars

Story/Plot: 📘📗📕📙📔
World building: 🌏🌏🌍🌎🌏
Character development: 🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂

The setting: The Badlands

The Hero(s): Samael (a.k.a. Malum) - was a weak and sickly child who grew into a raging psychopath, which is saying something in the Badlands, where most are considered savages. Lilith has always been his.

The heroine(s): Lilith - she seems to be a normal girl in an F’d up world. She has been friends with Samael since childhood and though she once said he was like a brother to her, she really already had feelings for him.

The Love Story: Samael is alpha male to the extreme. He is so possessive that he has no problem torturing or killing anyone who tries to touch what is his. Lilith is not ok with some of the things he does and she wants her freedom, but she still loves him.

At first I didn’t like the story. I hadn’t read any of the preceding books, but this one is billed as a standalone, so I kept thinking that this world should be explained a little better. However as it went along and I learned more, I understood and liked the way things were revealed. It reminds me of the world of The Walking Dead except without the Walkers (Zombies). Like TWD, they go on runs to get supplies from neighboring deserted towns, and everyone carries a weapon. There is a lot of killing, most for no real reason.

It is completely lawless, but their community or whatever they called it was a bit cult-like. Samael is the leader and though Lilith loves him, he keeps her captive within the compound so she realizes that she has to get away. I can totally see her point, but I can see Samael’s as well.

He is keeping her safe and I liked him more than I thought I would in relation to Lilith. When it came to others, he was pretty brutal. Though as the story continues we find out that he is an extremely complex character. It is funny how you can empathize with some of the most brutal characters in a book like this. Though definitely not when he is doing terrible things.

In the end, I really enjoyed the story and all the characters, though I sort of wish it were longer, I would have liked to see the relationship between Samael and Lilith improve with time and communication. Though that isn’t to say the ending wasn’t an ending. I liked how it ended as well. Perhaps we will see them further in the next book which is about Lilith’s brother Cam. That one will be a trip and Natalie already has a bunch of warnings on the content which will be in that one. From the excerpt, it sounds much more brutal than this one.

I voluntarily read & reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts & opinions are my own.

Blog|Goodreads|Facebook|Instagram|Twitter|BookBub
Profile Image for Bex (Beckie Bookworm).
1,863 reviews1,192 followers
February 26, 2021
Untitled design-High-Quality
My Review

I was excited to be back in the badlands I do love this series a lot and here we finally get to catch back-up with Samuel and Lilith both second-generation savages who have forged a separate path apart from there families, these two have always intrigued me and I was excited to learn more about them and there particular dynamic together.

We start this with a couple of flashbacks for some backstory before jumping straight to the present day to see where Lilith and Samuel/Malum are at now, he’s reinvented himself building an empire as impressive as his uncles.
This empire comes at a cost one that could definitely put Lilith in danger and Mal’s priority has always been to protect His Lils even if it means keeping her in the dark somewhat and shutting her out.

A wedge has been driven between the two due to Mal’s secretive and closed off persona as much as he loves his lils he also struggles with expressing these sentiments verbally which has had a knock-on effect leaving Lilith feeling shut out and as she already suffers with an inferiority complex then ignored and separate.
She loves Mal but also feels she’s losing him and being locked down without choices causes her to act out making a decision that puts her directly in the path of danger.

Mal feels that his behaviour is a means to an end and doesn’t realise the extent of Lilith’s dissatisfaction until now she’s his light his Queen and he’s not going to let anyone even her own self damage that.

This was, as usual, graphic and gory and all sorts of fucked up, I mean this is the badlands after all so chaos and survival of the fittest is the code people live by and only the strong prosper here.
Mal as you would expect is savage and brutal and the only individual truly safe from him is probably Lilith.
This one was slightly different because we were joining these two who had an already established dynamic and even when these two were at such odds you could still tell they loved each other deeply and they also had such great chemistry together.

I especially enjoyed that there was some closure regarding there estranged families reconnecting and reestablishing old bonds and forging new ones.
You do need to read at least the second generation kids books prior to this one or you will definitely be lost as you need that insight and background to understand what is going on here especially as it jumps into an already established story arc.

I enjoyed this a great deal and I’m looking forward to experiencing more of Addy and Zane which is up next.
This was a great addition to the series but if your thinking of giving this series a try just be aware that it’s very graphic and unapologetically brutal with lots of blood guts and chaotic mayhem, it also deals with a lot of morally corrupt behaviour and that’s on both sides there’s no hero’s here just people trying to take care of there own and survive.
I voluntary reviewed a copy of Miscreants: Next Generation(Badlands Book 8).

Untitled design

Reviewed By Beckie Bookworm
www.beckiebookworm.com
Profile Image for Darlene I read WAY to many books.
3,065 reviews1,259 followers
3.5 ⭐

I have been waiting for this series to come back and OMGGG I DRANK IT!! Now remember this is a huge series I recommend reading book 1 to know everyone!! (2n generation book start on book 5) this isn't as dark as I thought but it was delicious!!!

Samael aka Malum and Lilith have always had this connection he always made sure no one messed with her and she was his. Even if Lilith had some problems with what he did.
Now shes been taken "hostage" by him and she cant go anywhere do anything really but just watch him build a new empire for them.

Malum is one of my faves he was faithful he knew what he wanted and made sure his plans come together even if he has a problem opening up to Lilith and telling her what he has planned. Lilith was annoyed/hurt that he doesn't trust her and it's diving her from him and she thinks he with someone.. (he never was he was with one woman and that was her) now she wants her freedom so she runs away and put herself in a bad situation now she has to fight and stay alive long enough to see if Malum would come for her.

We also get some hints of the parents, kids and more couples 😈

Idk if its Cam story or Addy and Zane? Idk but that snip of Cam story I am READY!!!!

Angst, no ow/om drama (but Samael let's Lil think he with someone) no cheating, slight secondary character, drama, sexy times, no virgins

Recommend-yes

Almost sexual assault
No condoms
Hea
Epilogue
Profile Image for Philomena Callan Cheekypee.
3,872 reviews396 followers
February 22, 2021
Every time one of this authors books hit my kindle I get super excited. I then put a few hours aside to inhale it as I know without a doubt I won’t be able to put it down. That’s exactly what happened with Miscreants.

This is Samael and Liliths story. I absolutely loved everything about this story- well why wouldn’t I as the Badlands & next generation is one of my favourite series ever.

Expect the unexpected with this author. I love how she messes with my head and I keep craving more.
Profile Image for ✧ Marureviere ✧.
1,111 reviews115 followers
June 26, 2021
This had plot holes but I enjoyed it. The things that Samael (ML) said and did? Gold 😌

That scene where a minion was dragging an ally's dead body but he told the minion to stop because said dead person allowed Lilith (FL) to escape? Comedic.

I arrived at the docks just as Grant was removing a second body from the water.
I promptly told him to put it back.

He also gives the best love advices

If you love someone, let them go. Then hunt them down and drag their ass back, kicking and screaming.

He's extra af too

He must have felt exceptionally powerless right now.
I couldn’t relate.

He was also raised right and had actual ✨ manners ✨

I washed my knife and hands in his bathroom sink, wiping it down once they were clean. It wasn’t polite to visit someone and then leave a mess. My mother taught me that. I left everything else as it was.
There wasn’t a speck of blood on my boots when I exited the room.

He really be mutilating people who so much as touches Lilith

“Relax, Lils,” he said softly, offering a smile that went nowhere near his eyes. “I just want you to be safe. Francis got his lips cut off. What if Jonah were to lose his hands?”

He's highly protective of her, in his own way

Any form of disrespect against her was highly offensive to me. I didn’t fucking tolerate it. If someone were going to degrade my girl or put their hands somewhere they shouldn’t be, it would be me.

All in all, I wanted more torment and carnage + more violence from Lilith + context on some scenes because I felt confused at times while reading + some editing issues to be fixed, but I still liked this.

We were poetry, the kind that bled and wept—a tragically beautiful ode. It didn’t matter how hard we fought or the pain we inevitably caused; we loved harder. Neither of us could be without the other. We couldn’t escape whatever invisible chain kept us bound together.

TWs: graphic violence, mutilation, murder, incited sexual assault, excessive torture
Profile Image for Ana Manjić.
548 reviews49 followers
February 15, 2021
This is not standalone though you can try to read it as one. Outcome - lost completely. So let me give you a piece of advice.
Book 1 - 4 = Badlands originals I like to say and they are crazy, wild, bloodthirsty, ruthless, unforgiving, but also very protective of their own.
Book 5-8 = next-generation Badlands, their kids.
You need to read this in order or you will be lost completely. Too many names and details.

And we have a FAMILY TREE
Romero + Cali- Adelaide, Lucifuge, Belladonna
Grimm + Arlen- Nyx, Samael
Cobra + Blue- Braxton (AKA Butcher), Cameron, Lilith

F7-A6-AE75-2834-4-F8-B-A87-F-C385-C458724-F

So - Badlands #8

"For worse or for better. Always fall together, never fall apart."

Perfect words to describe Samael and Lilith's "love story".

He's ruthless, unforgiving, self-collected leader of his own faction, the king they all respect and fear.. only she can bring him to his knees.
Besides being thirsty to lead and to be more in this life - there's only one thing that he's madly obsessed with - our Lilith here. He has eyes only for her and god forbid that anyone dares to look at her with the wrong look - "I will always bleed for you before you ever bleed for me."

Lilith, she sees only him. Even though she is ready to leave him forever love for him is something that will never change - "If he were the sun, I was the moon. One wasn't supposed to be able to exist without the other, but he'd gone and built a wall between us, taking on the wight of the world alone."

Very disturbing but also at the same time, emotional read-only NB can create.
She's the queen of dark and twisted stories so don't dare to read this if you have a weak stomach or a bad heart, though the next generation of B is not as bloodthirsty and dark as their parents. Some of them lived under the “glass bell” one might say even though the world of Badlands is anything but peachy.

Conclusion = anything she writes I will read! She's magical!
Profile Image for Mandyloves2read.
1,286 reviews117 followers
February 21, 2021
Finally we get Lilith and Samael’s story and it was so worth the wait! This series is my absolute favorite dark romantic series of all time I’ve been anxiously waiting for this book since last year and it was everything we come to expect from the dark queen. These two I think are my favorite couple out of the next generation the kids from the OG Savages I knew there was so much more to Samael than what he was portrayed to be he definitely reminded me the most of Romero even though he isn’t his son but the secrecy the always two steps ahead thinking the way his mind works he definitely takes after his uncle in that regards . We get some answers to questions that we’ve been wanting answered since Degenerates but there’s still more that need answering and I hope we get them in Cam’s story. I adore Lilith she reminds me so much of her mom she beautiful strong willed and so smitten with Samael her best friend since they were kids I think it’s cute how some of there interactions is in this story how obsessed she is with him because let’s face it he’s just as obsessed if not more so I’ve never read about a couple where the MH does so much all for his queen everything every decision he’s ever made he’s made with her in mind it’s breathtaking his love for her . The badlands is bloody unforgiving dark twisted and only the fittest survive.
Overall Ratings;⁣⁣
POV - Dual ⁣
Hero - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⁣
Heroine - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⁣
Story - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⁣
Steam - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⁣
Chemistry - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⁣

Overall Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Profile Image for  ✰  Charlie  ✰ Chisholm.
1,981 reviews22 followers
February 11, 2021
This book is so worth the wait

This is Samael and Lilith's and love story not your normal love story.. I loved we got to go bad in the past to find out what happened that Night, they disappeared. this one I found fast paced and i loved every minute of it it is dark and just what you expect when you pick a book from this author. Badlands is such a great series. if you haven't read this series it is a must some great twisted amazing characters who you will either love or hate!
Profile Image for Courtney.
1,041 reviews135 followers
February 13, 2021
Miscreants by Natalie Bennett
I Give this Book 3.5/5, Listing as 4.
Due to the fact that it may not be high in everything in my rating list, but the books itself is actually pretty good. I AM looking forward to the next book :)
HEA(?): for Lilith & Samael Yes.
Cliffhanger(?): No.
Dark(?): 2.5/5
Relationship Type: MF
Drama: 3/5
Suspense: 2.5/5
Heat: 3/5
Dark Heat(?): None.
Romance: 3.5/5
Pacing: Pacing is pretty even.
There’s a lot of questions I have for 2 character from a previous book, I hope that will be fixed cause they’re one of my favorites, and it needs a lot of explanations.
Cam’s book better seriously live up to the hype of him being MEGA Dark, the darkness level in the series seems to be getting ‘quieter’, which is at times a little frustrating.
Profile Image for Samantha La Mar.
132 reviews58 followers
February 28, 2021
Yesss!! I've been patiently waiting for Samael & Lilith's story and I was NOT DISAPPOINTED! If you ask me what series I recommend for dark romance.... it's Badlands EVERY. DAMN. TIME. Natalie does NOT let you down, not in a single book of this series! Samael was everything I wanted from his Sociopathic thinking to his savage love for Lilith. Their love was everything to me. Prior to this, Romero and Calista.... no one could beat their connection. Samael and Lilith ... they may have just rivaled that!
Profile Image for books_n_ink217 Elizabeth Welch.
346 reviews23 followers
February 10, 2021
I have been waiting for this book for sooooo long it feels like! This is Lilith and Samael’s love story. While not as long as some of the others in the series, Natalie offers insight into what actually happened the night Lilith and Samael disappeared so long ago. Mal has grown in his own right as a leader of his own faction and he has eyes for one woman and one woman ONLY. This is the story of one great love that survives anything. The Badlands holds a special place in my heart and I am looking forward to Cam’s story!
February 27, 2021

ℂ𝕠𝕟𝕗𝕖𝕤𝕤𝕚𝕠𝕟𝕤 𝕠𝕗 𝕒 𝔹𝕚𝕓𝕝𝕚𝕠𝕡𝕙𝕚𝕝𝕖’𝕤 ℝ𝕖𝕧𝕚𝕖𝕨

If you like your dark romances darker than dark and filled with blood, gore, and tons of triggers, then the Badlands Series is for you!

❝Tʜᴇ Bᴀᴅʟᴀɴᴅs—ɪs ᴍᴀᴅᴇ ᴜᴘ ᴏꜰ ᴅᴀʀᴋ ꜰᴀɴᴛᴀsɪᴇs ᴀɴᴅ ᴇɴᴅʟᴇss ᴛᴇʀʀᴏʀs.❞
Miscreants: Next Generation (Badlands Book 8) by Natalie Bennett is a book I feel like I have been waiting on FOREVERRR! Miscreants IS considered a standalone BUT reading the prior books in the Badlands Series would give you a much better feel for the characters and the world-building which in turn I feel would give a much better reading experience.

My expectations were pretty high for Samael and Lilith’s story… so maybe it’s just me 🤷‍ but this one fell short. Compared to the rest of the series, I just felt like this was a novella leading up to their REAL story which as far as I’m aware, is not the case. Character development was lacking, and it just didn’t feel like there was any resolution or a storyline conclusion. So, because of that and a few other things I was only able to rate this one 3 1/2 stars.
❝Hᴇ’s ᴍʏ ꜰɪᴇʀᴄᴇsᴛ ᴘʀᴏᴛᴇᴄᴛᴏʀ ʙᴜᴛ ᴀʟsᴏ ᴍʏ ɢʀᴇᴀᴛᴇsᴛ ᴇɴᴇᴍʏ.
I’ᴍ ʜɪs ᴘᴇᴀᴄᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ʜɪs ᴛᴏʀᴍᴇɴᴛ.
Oᴜʀs ɪsɴ’ᴛ ᴀ ᴛᴀʟᴇ ᴏꜰ ʙᴇɴᴇᴠᴏʟᴇɴᴛ, ᴛᴇɴᴅᴇʀ ʀᴏᴍᴀɴᴄᴇ.
Iᴛ’s ʙʟᴏᴏᴅʏ ᴀɴᴅ ʀᴜᴛʜʟᴇss. Iᴛ’s ᴘᴀɪɴ ᴀɴᴅ sᴏʀʀᴏᴡ, ᴀᴛ ᴛɪᴍᴇs ᴜɴꜰᴏʀɢɪᴠᴀʙʟᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴇɴʀᴀɢɪɴɢ. Iᴛ ɪsɴ’ᴛ ᴘᴏᴇᴛɪᴄ ᴏʀ ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀꜰʟʏ-ɪɴᴅᴜᴄɪɴɢ, ʙᴜᴛ ɪᴛ ɪs ᴀ ʟᴏᴠᴇ sᴛᴏʀʏ.❞

🅃🄷🄴 🄵🄰🄲🅃🅂:

𝗚𝗲𝗻𝗿𝗲: New Adult | Dark Dystopian-ish Romance

𝗦𝗲𝗿𝗶𝗲𝘀: Badlands: Next Generation Book 8

𝗣𝗢𝗩: Dual

❝Tʜᴇʏ ᴘᴀɪɴᴛᴇᴅ ʜɪᴍ ᴀs ᴀ ᴍɪsᴄʀᴇᴀɴᴛ ᴡɪᴛʜᴏᴜᴛ ᴅɪʀᴇᴄᴛʟʏ sᴀʏɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀᴅ. I ᴡᴀs ᴍᴀᴅᴇ ᴏᴜᴛ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ᴀɴ ᴀɴɢᴇʟ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɴᴇᴇᴅᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ᴘʀᴏᴛᴇᴄᴛᴇᴅ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ʜɪs ᴅᴇɢᴇɴᴇʀᴀᴄʏ.❞
𝗛 𝗥𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴: 💙💙💙💙 – Samael (A.K.A Malum) Samael may not have been as brutal as his Dad Grimm but he’s far from the sickly and weak child that he was in previous books. Now he’s the fearless leader of the Stags and Lazarus factions and the guy who stole Lilith away when he left his family, the Savages.

❝Wɪʟᴅꜰʟᴏᴡᴇʀs.
Tʜᴇʏ ᴛʜʀɪᴠᴇ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴀʀsʜᴇsᴛ ᴄᴏɴᴅɪᴛɪᴏɴs.
Tʜᴇʏ’ʀᴇ ʀᴇsɪʟɪᴇɴᴛ— sᴛʀᴏɴɢ ʏᴇᴛ ɢᴇɴᴛʟᴇ. Tʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴀs Lɪʟɪᴛʜ. I’ᴅ ᴄᴀɢᴇᴅ ʜᴇʀ ɪɴ ᴍʏ ᴘʀɪsᴏɴ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴏʀɴs, ᴀɴᴅ sʜᴇ’ᴅ sᴛɪʟʟ ꜰᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴀ ᴡᴀʏ ᴛᴏ ʙʟᴏᴏᴍ.❞
𝗵 𝗥𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴: ❤❤ ½ – Lilith, Samael’s childhood best friend turned lover. I wanted to like Lilith, but she was just a little too naive for my liking, Samael never did open up to her, and she just kind of accepted that she was going to be kept in the dark on pretty much EVERYTHING until he decided differently… And let’s be honest here, for a character from the Badlands… Lilith was soft.
❝Hᴇ’ᴅ sᴇᴇɴ ᴍᴇ ᴀᴛ ᴍʏ ʙᴇsᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ᴍʏ ᴠᴇʀʏ ᴡᴏʀsᴛ. Iᴛ’s ᴀʟᴡᴀʏs ʙᴇᴇɴ ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴇʟʟɪsʜ sɪᴅᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴍᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʜᴇ ᴄʀᴀᴠᴇᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏsᴛ.
Tʜᴇ ᴘᴀʀᴛ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴀs ʜᴏʟʟᴏᴡᴇᴅ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ɢʀᴏᴏᴠᴇs ᴏꜰ ᴅᴀʀᴋɴᴇss ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴀɴ ɪɴsᴀᴛɪᴀʙʟᴇ ʟᴜsᴛ ꜰᴏʀ ʜɪs ᴇxᴄʟᴜsɪᴠᴇ ᴋɪɴᴅ ᴏꜰ ᴠᴏʟᴀᴛɪʟᴇ ᴄʜᴀᴏs.❞

𝗜𝗻𝘀𝘁𝗮-𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲?: Samael and Lilith have grown up together but as far as this book is concerned, we very quickly jump into their “relationship” but because of the push and pull factor I’m gonna have to say no…

𝗔𝗻𝗴𝘀𝘁 𝗟𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗹?: Not really.
❝I ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅɴ’ᴛ ᴡʀᴀᴘ ᴍʏ ʜᴇᴀᴅ ᴀʀᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴛʜɪs ɴᴇᴡ ᴠᴇʀsɪᴏɴ ᴏꜰ ᴜs ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜsᴇ I ᴡᴀs sᴛɪʟʟ ᴍᴏᴜʀɴɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏʟᴅ ᴏɴᴇ.❞
𝗣𝘂𝘀𝗵/𝗣𝘂𝗹𝗹?: Yes. Even though Lilith loves Samael, she doesn’t often agree with his or his faction’s brutality.

𝗥𝗼𝗺𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲 & 𝗦𝘁𝗲𝗮𝗺: 🔥🔥 ½ – There were some pretty hot steamy scenes but not nearly as depraved and explicit as I’m used to from Bennett so it was a bit of a letdown for me but I did like Samael’s dirty mouth.

❝I ᴅᴏɴ’ᴛ ᴛʀᴇᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ʟɪᴋᴇ ʏᴏᴜ’ʀᴇ ꜰʀᴀɢɪʟᴇ, I ᴛʀᴇᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ʟɪᴋᴇ ʏᴏᴜ’ʀᴇ ɪʀʀᴇᴘʟᴀᴄᴇᴀʙʟᴇ. I ᴅᴏɴ’ᴛ ɢɪᴠᴇ ᴀ ꜰᴜᴄᴋ ɪꜰ ʏᴏᴜ ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴍʏ ᴍᴇᴛʜᴏᴅs ᴏʀ ɴᴏᴛ— I ᴡɪʟʟ ᴀʟᴡᴀʏs ʙʟᴇᴇᴅ ꜰᴏʀ ʏᴏᴜ ʙᴇꜰᴏʀᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ᴇᴠᴇʀ ʙʟᴇᴇᴅ ꜰᴏʀ ᴍᴇ.❞
𝗗𝗲𝘀𝗰𝗿𝗶𝗽𝘁𝗶𝘃𝗲 𝗦𝗲𝘅?: Yes.

𝗟𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗧𝗿𝗶𝗮𝗻𝗴𝗹𝗲: No.

𝗖𝗵𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴: Nope.

𝗢𝗪/𝗢𝗠 𝗱𝗿𝗮𝗺𝗮: There is a little bit of a misunderstanding with another female, but that’s only because he’s letting Lilith think there is.

𝗦𝗲𝘅 𝗦𝗰𝗲𝗻𝗲 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗢𝗪 𝗼𝗿 𝗢𝗠: No.
❝Sᴀᴍᴀᴇʟ ᴡᴀs ʀɪᴘᴛɪᴅᴇ. Aᴛ ᴀɴʏ ɢɪᴠᴇɴ ᴍᴏᴍᴇɴᴛ ʜᴇ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ ᴅʀᴀɢ ᴍᴇ ᴜɴᴅᴇʀ.❞

𝗙𝗮𝘃𝗲 𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗿𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗲𝗿?: I don’t feel as if the character development was there for either of these characters but if I had to choose, I’d choose Samael. I love how OTT possessive he is of Lilith.
❝Hᴇ sᴛᴏʟᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ꜰɪʀsᴛ ᴋɪss. I’ᴍ sᴛᴇᴀʟɪɴɢ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʟᴀsᴛ.❞
𝗣𝗼𝘀𝘀𝗶𝗯𝗹𝗲 𝗧𝗿𝗶𝗴𝗴𝗲𝗿𝘀: MANY! There is a pretty blatant Author’s Note in the front of the book that makes sure you know that this one (this whole series actually!) is one that you will need to leave your morals and your boundaries at the door if you plan on reading! If you have pretty much ANY triggers, this one isn’t for you because this one doesn’t just toe the line, it jumps straight over it and karate kicks the line away. But as always, if you’d like to DM me for more info about triggers, feel free!
❝Iꜰ ʏᴏᴜ ʟᴏᴠᴇᴅ sᴏᴍᴇᴏɴᴇ ʟᴇᴛ ᴛʜᴇᴍ ɢᴏ, ᴛʜᴇɴ ʜᴜɴᴛ ᴛʜᴇᴍ ᴅᴏᴡɴ ᴀɴᴅ ᴅʀᴀɢ ᴛʜᴇɪʀ ᴀss ʙᴀᴄᴋ ᴋɪᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴀɴᴅ sᴄʀᴇᴀᴍɪɴɢ.❞

𝗛𝗘𝗔?: Well, this is actually difficult to answer. Miscreants was definitely on the shorter side, and right when I thought we were getting to the meat of the story, I was flipping the page and reading the epilogue… As I stated before, it just really didn’t feel like this story was concluded in any way shape, or form. I know that there are at least two more books to come but as far as I’m aware, they are not centered around Samael and Lilith. So is there a happily ever after? I honestly have no idea.
❝Fᴏʀ ᴡᴏʀsᴇ ᴏʀ ꜰᴏʀ ʙᴇᴛᴛᴇʀ. Aʟᴡᴀʏs ꜰᴀʟʟ ᴛᴏɢᴇᴛʜᴇʀ, ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ꜰᴀʟʟ ᴀᴘᴀʀᴛ.❞

ⓌⓄⓊⓁⒹ Ⓘ…?

𝗪𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗜 𝗿𝗲-𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗯𝗼𝗼𝗸? Unfortunately, probably not.

𝗪𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗜 𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗱 𝗺𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘀𝗲𝗿𝗶𝗲𝘀? Lilith’s brother Cam’s story, Misfits, is up next and the few times he was mentioned in Miscreants left me VERY excited to see what he’s been up to. Plus, there was a note letting us know to expect excessive violence and extreme triggers… so it looks like Bennett is bringing that dirty, dark, and depraved back around from the OG’s, and with that type of warning my dark level expectations are HIGH!

The dark level has really gone down in this series with the Next Gen’s but I’ve called Natalie Bennett the Queen of Darkness since the first book I ever read by her and I have faith that she’s gonna bring that dark and depraved-ness that we all have come to expect from the Badlands, back again.

𝗪𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗜 𝗿𝗲𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗺𝗲𝗻𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗯𝗼𝗼𝗸? Yes, even though Miscreants was not my favorite book, I would still recommend it to dark lovers or fans of the Badlands series.
❝Wᴇ’ᴅ ʟᴇᴀʀɴ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜʀɪᴠᴇ ɪɴ ᴀ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ᴏꜰ ᴅᴀʀᴋɴᴇss. Dᴀʀᴋᴇʀ ᴛɪᴍᴇs ᴡᴇʀᴇ ᴀʜᴇᴀᴅ ᴏꜰ ᴜs, ʙᴜᴛ ɪᴛ ᴡᴀs ʙᴇᴛᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴏ ꜰᴀᴄᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ᴀʙʏss ᴛᴏɢᴇᴛʜᴇʀ ᴛʜᴀɴ ᴀᴘᴀʀᴛ. Aᴛ ʟᴇᴀsᴛ ɴᴏᴡ ᴡᴇ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅɴ’ᴛ ʙᴇ ᴅᴏɪɴɢ ɪᴛ ᴀʟᴏɴᴇ.❞

Blog|Facebook|Instagram|Twitter|Goodreads|BookBub|Amazon
Profile Image for The Romantic Rush Blog.
1,565 reviews730 followers
February 20, 2021
Oh all that depraved ave santana Natalie Bennett twisted Badlands dark magic is back- I have been so anxious for this one. The Badlands is one of the most disturbing, violent, and extremely dark series I’ve ever read- this is not for the faint of heart, but if you are soul is more than a little bit gnarly, this series is such a wild ride.

I’ve been waiting for Samael and Lillith since the start of the next generation series. This entire series has been rooted in a hugely consequential moment that impacted and devastated the entire next generation, but these two had the most mystery, their role and choices the most dubious and unclear. As the other stories unfold, Lilith and Samel’s presences always loom- their absence, the questions, the missing piece of the Badland puzzle. So, all that is to say- I’ve been so anxious for this story, to find out just what happened to Lilith and to understand the choices Samel has made, and the extent to which those choices were or were not part of the larger game that Romero somehow seems to always be orchestrating.

And, to a certain extent, I found it a bit anti-climatic after all this build up- not super revelatory, not quite as dark, not as epic, and at times felt a bit incomplete. Though, I’m used to the type of “between the lines” type storytelling Natalie tells- I like it, its brash and mysterious, a mirror of the world she’s created. So it was less about having ever detail and more just that I expected to understand more than I did- there just is SO much history between these two, so much story in the present, it just felt perhaps too big for one book.

Samael ends up being far more dreamy than I anticipated- which wasn’t a bad thing. I definitely anticipated the newly minted faction king to be more ruthless, more deranged and sinister- and we come to find he’s not quite the monster I expected. But, I ended up relishing in that- being surprised by what he truly was up to and admiring it, oddly even relating to it. Without giving too much away, he felt so delectably human, in a series where characters seem to be on the cusp of the superhuman. And, while I liked Lillith, I just feel like we don’t know or understand her in the same way- she didn’t evolve much as a character. A lot of their chemistry/connective tissue happens off page, and I did miss seeing that a bit. But we still feel it in the present- together, these two are toxic and intense and spiritual.

We have a lot of new characters and new fations to explore, but we all know my heart will always be with the Savages, so it really isn’t on the story that I couldn’t invest in them as much- though we really don’t learn much about them, either. Not sure that we need to- like Romero, Natalie has a large scheme driving the overarching sequence of these stories, so understanding Samael’s new people may be less consequential, or perhaps to come.

The story is entertaining, full of that dangerous and gritty violent edge. Certainly not Natalie’s darkest book, but definitely darker than the prior. (and the preview for the next book seems to be her dark re-awakening- OH MY.) I enjoyed it, but given that this was my most anticipated of the series (besides Cam), I wanted a bit more answers when it comes to their relationship- and when we get some in the end, I felt like I had maybe missed something. BUT, some amazing stuff with other characters and some larger plot revelations were to die for. AND- the preview for the next book. JAW ON FLOOR.

Overall, 3.5-4 stars

Random Side note- I also wish I’d brushed up before reading- the timelines became confusing to me since this book has past and present POVs- it’s been a minute, and the next book seems to be father out, too- so those of you that easily get timelines confused (like me)- may want to do a quick recap before you start.
Profile Image for Renee.
3,346 reviews35 followers
March 11, 2021

Love is madness. Love is anguish. Ours was ill-fated from the beginning.
From best friends to almost lovers to this. WE were poetry. The kind that bled and wept. We'd become a mess of euphoric bliss and mind-numbing pain. I promised to follow him until the bitter end, but after far too long I needed to go home. The odds would be stacked against me in every way. He'd come after me, of that I was sure. Many would lose their lives, becoming casualties of our war. When this was all said and done, our story would be one whispered in dark corners for years to come. A tale of a wolf pursuing a lamb, but with a masochistic twist. For even lambs have teeth, and this one bites back.

This is an enemies to lovers romance that is dark and twisted and may contain some material that some mind have triggers too. Proceed with caution. This book is also a standalone so don't worry if you have not read the rest of the book in the Bandlands Series. This is the story of Samuel and Lilith and they are both second generation savage who have made their way independently from their family. First of all you will get their backstory before the book really takes off. The empire always comes at a cost and this could cost Lilith and put her in danger but Mal's priority has always been protecting her even if he has keep her in the dark and sort of shut her out. This causes a huge wedge between the two because of this and he too has a hard time telling her exactly how he feels about her and this puts her off and she feels shut out and like she is losing him. This all causes her to put herself with one decision right in the path of the most danger she could ever be in. Now I have to stop talking about the book or I am going to give something away. If you have read Natalie Bennett before you know what your in for but in case you haven't she writes dark books that are just....shew they push me at times and the gore is just what it is and you just kind of expect if from her books so don't be shocked. This book was really good. I had been waiting on it for what feels like forever but I'm so glad I got to read it. Now I can't wait to see what we get next in this series.
Profile Image for Crystal.
778 reviews7 followers
February 19, 2021
I love the world of the Badlands. I was so ready for this story.
Samuel now known as Malum went out on his own to create his own kingdom. And he took the girl who meant the world to him, Lilith. If he stayed he would not be top dog. Romero is King and one of his children would rule. (Adelaide, Lucifuge, and Belladonna) But Grimm & Cobra’s kids are still very important people. Grimm has Nyx and Samuel. While Cobra had Butcher, Cameron, and the baby Lilith.
Samuel was told Lilith was not meant for him and Lilith was always told to keep her distance from Samuel. But these two grew a strong attachment. Their friendship blossomed into something more. Samuel is VERY possessive of Lilith. No one is allowed to look and they dare not touch her or even speak bad about her. Doing so is cause for death. A very painful one.
I loved, loved, LOVED Malum’s character development. I did not like Lilith’s. I feel like she had so much potential. She’s the baby so she was treated as so. Yes her father made her train religiously but no amount of training made her a strong person. (To fend for herself in the Badlands) I was very disappointed that she seems like just a pretty face. I don’t yet see her as Queen material.
I was left wanting more. I feel like Malum & Lilith’s story only took a tiny step forward in the overall picture.
Profile Image for Nikitasbookreviews.
554 reviews49 followers
February 16, 2021
Totally worth the wait and this series is one of my faves by natalie, though I think this one has just become my favorite!

I loved Sam and lil’s story, every dark and depraved moment of it! This one was definitely different and I had no idea what to expect when it came to Sam because he’s been portrayed as the villian in the previous books.

Okay so yeah he is..... but this book made me fall in love with him! Yeah i love all the toxic book boyfriends!

Get ready for a while ride because nothing is straight! 5 stars and I definitely recommend and I can’t wait for the other books in this series!
February 11, 2021
Natalie has done it again with the story most people have been curious about.... Samael and Lilith. This book is said that it can be read as a stand-alone but I highly suggest you get the whole story in The Badlands and The Next Generation, it will clear quite a few characters up. Samael from the beginning of The Next Generation sounded like he thought of Lilith as just a possession and didn’t care about keeping her only to himself. Why the second part is true ( as most of these men in this book world) we get to see into the way he really is. The love they share is twisted, strong, and perfect for a couple miscreants.
Profile Image for Lorrie.
1,888 reviews23 followers
March 1, 2021
It was interesting reading Samael and Lilith's story. The Badlands is a brutal place so I wasn't expecting romance and hearts (unless the heart was cut out of someone's chest haha). It's been awhile since I've read the series so it took me a while to remember some of the characters. I zipped right through it though; I love this series.
March 1, 2021
"For worse or for better. Always fall together, never fall apart."

ANOTHER INCREDIBLE MESSED UP DARK ROMANCE THAT I LOVED!!!!!!!
This book had me on edge for the entire time! I ABSOLUTELY loved Samael and the utter devotion he had for Lilith. He was so possessive. I love that in a man. When he says he will kill you for looking at her, he means it!
And Lilith, she was so pure but also dark too. She loved him so much and he was hers just as much as she was his.

"In my mind, even when he wasn’t mine, he was mine."

This only has me even more hype for the next book. Misfits is going to be even more bloody. Even more sexy. Even more gory. Even more everything. I cannot wait to read more Cam. I need more from this gang! 5 fucked up stars
Profile Image for Kenia.
129 reviews3 followers
February 15, 2021
Miscreants is book 8 in the badlands series also know for its nickname TPR 😈 and let me tell you the level of fuckery that is put in to this series is so amazing. You don’t know if you should yell, cry, laugh or rip your hair out! Me? I beg for more lol

Miscreants is the story of Samael and Lilith and even though it’s not your usual badlands it was perfect for them. I loved that we got to see more into who Samael truly is and not who he portrayed to be. The possessiveness and how protective he is of Lilith makes you wish for your own version of him. And I loved seeing Lilith grow into what she was always meant to be his queen.

Not saying their relationship was perfect but then again who really wants a perfect one? All in all it was the perfect story for them and has you screaming for the next one.
14 reviews
November 29, 2021
I wasn't sure what to expect for Samael but I was pleasantly surprised. His story line is so different from what I expected. Portrayed to be this evil villain and find out he is anything but. Samael's and Lily's character reminds me why I fell in love with the Badlands series. Lily and Samael were meant for one another. The characters in this Miscreants have their own story and I am looking forward to learning more about Kara, Amo, Poet, and Rory. I love the way his story intertwines with in Adelaide' and Nyx's stories and answers a lot if questions I had. I could not put this book down once I started reading and I was left feeling I needed more. I cannot wait for Cam's and Bella's story. Natalie has really created a great series and this book is one of my favorites.
Profile Image for V ~is reading right now ~.
22 reviews13 followers
February 19, 2021
🐐"If they knew that all the caution tape used to divide us only encouraged our rebellious curiosity, would they have done anything different? Would it have mattered?"

I'm going to start with my cons, which is a big time rarity for me.
(Let me preface this with the fact that I am a die hard Nat B. fan, I feel squirmy saying this and no matter what, I WILL be continuing the series.)

1) I haven't come across an MC in this series, or any others of Ms B's that I can say this about, but I genuinely feel as though Lilith is TSTL. She just....didn't use her noodle. Like, at ALL. She didn't even seem to use her kitty that much either. The dynamic between the two MCs was seemingly solely based on a childhood promise and some vague sense of loyalty spawned from that. What it wasn't, was hot, clear or even inevitable. In fact, it felt as though the supporting cast to this story line were more involved in the relationship than the FMC or MMC.

2) I may be (probably am) in the minority, that had a REALLY hard time investing on the same level as I have with the rest of the series, in this(these) faction(s). To be clear, that wasn't a fault in the writing, only a genuine difficulty as a reader who's so loyal to the Savages. It's all about loyalty after all, right?

3) The story felt rushed. Big time. Up to about 63% (Pt 2,) the flow was natural. Freaking fantastic even. Everything thereafter was crammed in or truncated. Tbh, this storyline probably needed two books to do it justice, as so much took place in the past.

🐐"We'd spent so much time avoiding this part of our relationship. We were drugs to each other. One touch and the intoxication was instant. Up till now we always stopped before the addiction consumed us."

Okaaay. Pros:

EVERYTHING else. The supporting cast were AWESOME. The larger arc elements were deliciously devious revelations. The MMC was fascinating. You could've filled a whole book with just his internal monologue. I wanted more, more, more of the world building and frankly that's a good thing. It was fresh and fascinating.

These two had SO much potential. You felt it in Renegades. I also suspect that the huge time jump had a lot to do with the sense of dysphoria.

So overall? ⭐⭐⭐⭐
I don't want to, but I have to pull a ⭐ for the blah verging on malaise, between Lilith and Samael. If there had been any conclusion or sense of cohesion by the finish, it MAY have been something I could swallow. But, alas... I would have pulled another ⭐ for the frankly confusing rush to the finish line in the last 40%, but that was bought back by the other characters and larger arc revelations in that same 40%. So, on one hand, and then the other.
When they got nasty, dayuuum was it delicious! I mean solid gold steam! There was almost none, however. Boo 😕

Soooo... This is a MUST read. Not my favorite by far, but crucial to the storyline. I cannot WAIT for Misfits (if that is indeed the next to be released.)

🦌"I pulled her closer, leaving the knife to fall to the floor. When she looked up at me with her big green eyes. It reminded of when we were kids, and she knew she'd pssed me off. Little to nothing about this girl had changed. She was still my same Lilith-just older without anyone to save her from me now."
Profile Image for Brandalyn Curry.
34 reviews1 follower
Miscreants ARC Review

I’m so in love with this series by Natalie that I can’t even stand it. Natalie writes such gruesomely beautiful stories that if you don’t have a strong stomach you might just find them too much to handle. This series has such amazing twists, turns, tragically amazing characters that once you start its hard to put the book down. Well I with everyone else has been so excited to get to this book in the series and it didn’t disappoint......however she did leave me OMG SOOOOOO WANTING MORE!!!!!! Natalie girl you’re killing me here, I love that you answered some questions we have all had but you gave us almost double the questions with this book!!! So if you’ve read books 1-7 of the Badlands series then you’re very well acquainted with the originals and know that their kids are now possibly following in their footsteps. Samael is the child of Grimm & Arlen whose been fighting against the Savages his family......but is that truly what’s going on. And as he disappeared so did Lilith the daughter of Cobra and Blue whose lives were devastated by the betrayal of Braxton. If you know Samael is another name for the devil and Lilith is who he was in love with.... So Natalie has given us a story where the devil does get his dear Lilith although Lilith doesn’t believe she’s good enough for Samael. Now the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was making everyone believe he didn’t exist.......well this Devil is most definitely following in those footsteps. Lilith is truly her own woman who is extremely strong but that everyone seems to view as fragile or naive. The problem with that is she’s extremely intelligent but hasn’t been given a chance to shine. Samael will stop at nothing to be his own man after feeling like he wasn’t good enough as a child. The problem is when you’re a child sometimes you can misinterpret how people really see you even your own family. Samael continues to work in the shadows and keep Lilith in the dark he believes it’s for her own good but the problem is a good queen should be right beside her king. Their love for one another is almost star crossed and can be quite painful but it’s love just the same. Now when I say this story created even more questions than it answered well I will give you a few without giving too much away:

Who is truly behind the Stags & Lazarus
What role did Belladonna really play in everything
How much is Belladonna like Romero
Where’s Lucifuge this entire time
And how do we know nothing about NERO
And why has Addy left Zane

Natalie you have given us such a wonderful world that to be honest could feel like it could happen in real life these days. Natalie you truly have a gifted mind for keeping your readers hooked and on the edge of their seat.
Profile Image for Little monster.
395 reviews7 followers
February 25, 2021
Well what can I say but oh my gosh!!!! I've been waiting patiently for Miscreants, book 8 in the Badlands: Next Generation series and even though we've been waiting for a long time for this, Natalie again hasn't disappointed!!!!

So this picks up the story of Samael aka Mal and his girl Lilith, now we know of their parents from the first set of Badlands books, as we know by now they have broken away from their families know as the savages, they grew up together, so this is a friends to lovers story, and again this book doesn't hold back, like any other Natalie book you get a tonne of sex, blood, guts, and dark dark triggers and well it wouldn't be Natalie if they didn't contain any of those stated!!!!

Mal will do anything to keep his possession safe and will let anyone and everyone know who Lilith belongs to, and he doesn't care how he tells them also. My god I thought some of the other badland guys were hot and dangerous but damn Mal is all that and more ×100 lol. He'll stop at nothing to keep her safe whilst also keeping secrets from her, Lilith knows he's up to something but he just won't open up to her. The only way they can connect in any way is through their passion for each other so yep there is a lot of hot steamy sex scenes that had my kindle hot to touch!!!! Nothing will stand in Mal's way of keeping Lilith safe and when she hacks a plan with her friends to run away and break free from her chains that Mal has over her, he's quick to find her and bring her back no matter the cost and no matter who has to be killed in the long run.

We see some of the old faces back from the previous first set of original badlands books and it was great to see them again, I honestly can never say a bad word about Natalie Bennet, yes her books are twisted and yes they have big trigger warnings but lordy I never put them down and I urge everyone to read these badland series of books the old generation and the new generation I can tell you, you won't be disappointed. I cannot wait for Cam's book!!!!!!!! I know this guy is gonna be complex and vicious and I can't ruddy wait!!!!!!!
1 review
February 28, 2021
« Which one of us was Icarus, and who was the sun? »

I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, courtesy of Oneshia Green, in exchange for an honest review.

I'm a huge Natalie Bennett fan! Love her writing and the stories she spins! I was super excited to see what type of new book she would bring to the table after I finished Rénégades ! And she did not disappoint!

It’s hard to dive into the review and only tell you bits and pieces of the story. So let me just say that this is yet one more piece of the entire series that makes it so freaking addictive!

Samael, dear God, is my favorite héro, he is a handsome evil, cocky, he exudes violence and mischief, a single smile of his can set your panties on fire, and he is as addictive as a drug, you can never have enough of him, he awakened in me feelings that connected me in a deep way to him.
Lilth is vulnerable but brave, so badass and sassy. I loved her.

Mal and Lils are pure fire, their explosive attraction is so scorching hot, so intense, I loved their interactions, their constant full and push, their challenges. They are like two magnets whose magnetic forces are attracted to each other like invisible threads, and I loved getting into their minds and their darkest thoughts, they also made me swooned so hard.

The story consumed me in a vortex of magic, mystery, hedonism and sensuality. Scene after scene unfold vividly before my eyes like a movie that owned my senses and enthralled me in a unique way. The author created an amazing world that still vibrates through my blood, I feel it beating with my heart. Badlands serie is an addiction that you can't get enough of. Get ready for a book hangover of hell. I can't wait for the next one.
Profile Image for Macabre Rose.
56 reviews3 followers
February 24, 2021
I've been waiting for this book a long time, and overall, it was exactly the vibe I expected! The story is sold as a standalone in Natalie's Badlands universe, but there were a number of references to other happenings and characters that won't be understood if someone picks up this book first. At the least, I would recommend reading the Second Generation set before this one. I enjoyed how completely OTT Samael was with Lilith, how he was protective and centered around providing for her. Their relationship is one of those that you don't question, even in the periods when they are struggling with their circumstances. Their devotion is always apparent.

The one piece I had a hard time with is Samael's overall motivation for breaking away from the Savages, and subsequently, Lilith's blind following. I feel like we've always had these strong female Savages, and she has never had the chance and/or desire to cultivate her own personality to some extent. With Samael, I had a hard time connecting with his character a bit because I just don't understand what he's all about. Usually with Natalie's writing style, she slowly reveals more about the situation through the story to eventually give a full picture of what lead to the person being the way they are. We kind of get that with him, but I was a little let down with his development. Overall, I think this was a necessary transition story to keep the overall series arc flowing, but I'm holding out hope this isn't the end of their story! I enjoyed reading about these two and want to see them develop more along side the other Savages in this universe.

I voluntarily read an ARC of this book and all opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Kelli.
21 reviews
February 17, 2021
Samael and Lilith’s story is one that I was most anticipating in the series (them and Cam), so I was overjoyed to get to finally dive into Miscreants. Like all of Natalie’s books, this one is an exciting adventure not short on danger and violence. It was a bit tamer than I was expecting, given the forewarning in the previous book. I would have liked to see more of a struggle between the main characters. I do like the addition of friends for Lilith; I’d like to see where their stories go in the future. Before reading this, I thought we may be coming toward the conclusion of the series, but it seems the author has much more in store for the Badlands – yayyyy!

As much as I do like their story and relationship, I took off a star because it felt like something was missing. I wish we got to see more about what happened leading up to and during the change in Sam/Mal and Lilith’s relationship. The description didn’t do it justice and the four-year gap left a lot unknown. More than the previous seven in the series, I also felt this story was more of a tell than show narrative. Many beautiful passages, usually near the end of the chapter, explain what the characters were thinking or feeling. I wish we got to see more of that in the buildup, interaction between characters, and some of the backstory - especially what caused Lilith to have such insecurities. Though I was expecting this to be more of an epic addition to the series, it seemed like a stopover to bigger things that are brewing. Overall, it was an enjoyable read.
Profile Image for Kristen.
312 reviews7 followers
February 22, 2021
𝐴 𝑙𝑜𝑣𝑒 𝑠𝑡𝑜𝑟𝑦 𝑎𝑏𝑜𝑢𝑡 𝑎 𝑔𝑖𝑟𝑙 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑎 𝑏𝑜𝑦, 𝑓𝑜𝑟𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟 𝑡𝑖𝑒𝑑 𝑡𝑜𝑔𝑒𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟 𝑖𝑛 𝑎 𝑏𝑒𝑎𝑢𝑡𝑖𝑓𝑢𝑙 𝑝𝑢𝑟𝑔𝑎𝑡𝑜𝑟𝑦 𝑜𝑓 𝑒𝑥𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑠𝑖𝑡𝑒 𝑐𝑎𝑟𝑛𝑎𝑔𝑒.

Miscreants is the story of Samael and Lilith. A love so beautifully broken apart with the pain and heartache of losing one another. The lies, secrets, deceit and mistrust are what drives Lilith away, but she doesn't know the whole truth of why. She made a promise to always stand by his side, no matter what. She doesn't understand because shes kept in the dark with absolutely everything and this is the root of her suffering.

𝐿𝑜𝑣𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑆𝑎𝑚𝑎𝑒𝑙 𝑠𝑜𝑚𝑒𝑡𝑖𝑚𝑒𝑠 ℎ𝑢𝑟𝑡 𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝑙𝑒𝑎𝑣𝑖𝑛𝑔 ℎ𝑖𝑚 𝑤𝑎𝑠 𝑎𝑛 𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑖𝑟𝑒𝑙𝑦 𝑛𝑒𝑤 𝑡𝑦𝑝𝑒 𝑜𝑓 𝑎𝑛𝑔𝑢𝑖𝑠ℎ.

Samael is doing what he believes is best to protect her and that means keeping away any and everything that can hurt her, both physically and emotionally. He's claimed to not have any feelings, but that couldn't be further from the truth where his Lilith is concerned. He shut her out so she didn't see a part of him he believed she wouldn't love.

𝐼'𝑑 𝑎𝑙𝑤𝑎𝑦𝑠 𝑏𝑒 ℎ𝑒𝑟 𝑝𝑟𝑜𝑡𝑒𝑐𝑡𝑜𝑟, 𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝐼 𝑤𝑎𝑠 ℎ𝑒𝑟 𝑝𝑟𝑒𝑑𝑎𝑡𝑜𝑟 𝑡𝑜𝑜.

The journey of how they grow and learn to come together again is one you feel like you're also taking. This story spoke to me in ways I didn't know were possible. I'm not even sure how to describe the level of emotion that exists between these two because it is just so strong that words just cannot do justice.

𝑂𝑢𝑟 𝑙𝑜𝑣𝑒 𝑠𝑡𝑜𝑟𝑦 𝑤𝑎𝑠𝑛'𝑡 𝑎 𝑓𝑎𝑖𝑟𝑦𝑡𝑎𝑙𝑒 𝑜𝑟 𝑎𝑛𝑦𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑡𝑜 𝑏𝑒 𝑒𝑛𝑣𝑖𝑜𝑢��� 𝑜𝑓, 𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝑖𝑡 𝑤𝑎𝑠 𝑜𝑢𝑟𝑠.
Profile Image for Joyffree.
2,866 reviews45 followers
February 25, 2021
"I will always bleed for you before you ever bleed for me."

I missed the Badlands
Missed the mayhem
The madness
The marauding
Missed Malum

Lilith has always been Samael's and things have not changed just grown a touch. Lilith feels like she is second in his life - Like he is keeping her cloistered like a puppy only brought out occasionally for entertainment -
fed and cared for
healthy but not happy

Lilith - in a scorn woman moment of thought - sets out to free herself and being the martyr she is, Samuel, from the destructive course of their relationship (Yes I am laughing just a little here)
Saying things do not go so well would be a gross understatement
Now all she can do is pray to Santana because she has a feeling that this time Malum may not be able to protect her
Little Lilith should know her Malum will paint the Badlands crimson before he loses his treasure
She is his - always has been
And he is hers
She is about to see how true that is

This is part of a series, second-generation, and you need to read the series to fully understand the character dynamics and the storyline
I was so ecstatic to be back with some of my favorite people
Sam and Lil needed their story to be told in full - we knew some of the past and how they got where they are but this filled in all the missing pieces as well as brought the past and the future together more than metaphorically
This is a graphic dystopian novel - you know survival of the fittest - everyone is equal

The copy I read was an ARC still in editing
Displaying 1 - 30 of 122 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.