Start by marking “The Ten Thousand Doors of January” as Want to Read:
The Ten Thousand Doors of January

The Ten Thousand Doors of January

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  3,850 ratings  ·  1,292 reviews

EVERY STORY OPENS A DOOR

In a sprawling mansion filled with exotic treasures, January Scaller is a curiosity herself. As the ward of the wealthy Mr. Locke, she feels little different from the artifacts that decorate the halls: carefully maintained, largely ignored, and utterly out of place.

But her quiet existence is shattered when she stumbles across a strange book. A book that carries thplace.

ButDOOR

In

Published September 10th 2019 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about The Ten Thousand Doors of January, please sign up.
Alix Harrow
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Alix Harrow It's a standalone! There's room for further adventures, but it's all pretty tidily wrapped-up.

·  3,850 ratings  ·  1,292 reviews

Chaima ✨ شيماء
I almost didn’t write this review.

I felt that to speak of this book would be to contain what it did to me, to diminish it somehow. And I didn’t want to do that. The Ten Thousand Doors of January is almost less a novel than an experience: never have I felt more like I was part of things, moved by the same current, like my soul had disconnected from my body and drifted among fictional souls in a mist somewhere between fantasy and reality.

It seemed hardly credible when I finished reading that I couldn’tthat. The
Nilufer Ozmekik
5 thousand stars first for wonderful, amazing illustration on the cover and five thousand stars go for rest of the heart throbbing, one of the most creative, colorful, joyful journeys to many different imaginary portals you can never imagine to visit!

FASTEN YOUR SEAT BELT, OPEN YOUR EYES, READY TO COUNT TO 10 THOUSAND!

This is amazing combination of McGuire’s Wayward Children Series and Stephen King’s Dark Tower series!

BLURB: Seven years old January’s revelation of finding a door op
karen
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
NOW AVAILABLE!!!

i mean, it’s a perfect book.

that should be the alpha and the omega of this book review, because you’ve probably already read the synopsis, and if it takes more than that to convince you of this book’s desirability, i’m sure i don’t have the words to do it.

if you like seanan mcguire’s wayward children series, you will probably enjoy this. obviously, they both involve doorways to other worlds, young(ish) protagonists, and adventure, but their more significant shared characteristics are tonal—haunting and
Petrik
ARC provided by the publisher—Orbit—in exchange for an honest review.

4.5/5 stars

Gorgeous and magical; it’s not a stretch to call The Ten Thousand Doors of January a magnificent physical manifestation of a grimoire.

Orbit did it again. The Ten Thousand Doors of January has shot to the top of my TBR since the moment I saw the cover and heard about the premise; I was charmed and can safely say that I don’t think I’ve read many books as beautifully written as this novel. I’ve been saying this over and over again for a while now; wh
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
ETA: On the Fantasy Literature website, at the link, there's a truly fascinating and insightful interview with this author, Alix Harrow.

All the stars! Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature (along with my co-reviewer Marion's excellent review):

The Ten Thousand Doors of January is perched at the top of the mountain of portal fantasies that I’ve read in my life. It’s set apart by Alix E. Harrow’s intelligent and truly gorgeous writing, unique characters ― including true friends and a fiercely/>The
Paromjit
If there is a part of you that has always felt there is magic in the world ever since childhood, despite voices to the contrary, and have a penchant for the whimsical, then Alix Harrow has written the perfect novel for you. It is a story of doors, portals if you will, existing in places of particular resonance, stepping through the void, into fables, folklore, adventure, love and sanctuary, and the infinite power of words and stories. In 1901, at the age of 7, the red skinned, wilful and cantank ...more
megs_bookrack
((awkward silence due to highly unpopular opinion))

((sound of crickets))

I'm sorry, everyone. I just did not enjoy this book. I really wanted to, I was so hyped for it, then I saw all the reviews coming in and they were fantastic! I couldn't wait to get into it.

Then I started reading. The writing was a little qclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
((sound
Teodora
Seeing the cover? - Want it!
Seeing the synopsis? - Need it!
Realising it is about escaping the reality? - Well, run a DNA test cuz I and this book relate for sure
jessica
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘words and their meanings have weight in the world of matter, shaping and reshaping realities through a most ancient alchemy.’

and the words in this story shape a most delightful world - filled with imagination, wonder, adventure, and love.

any story that focuses on the importance of words and stories is one that i will always find comforting. i appreciate how january is a character who also finds comfort in books and the power of words and also sees stories as a means of escape. it makes to her relatab
Amalia Gavea
''Maybe you've even seen one for yourself, standing half-ajar and rotted in an old church, or oiled and shining in a brick wall. Maybe, if you're one of those fanciful persons who find their feet running toward unexpected places, you've even walked through one and found yourself in a very unexpected place indeed.''

January is a young girl torn between two worlds. Her parentage makes her special, yet people see what they want to see, dictated by the (twisted) preconceived notions of the early 20th-centur
Emer (A Little Haze)
NOW PUBLISHED

The blurb from NetGalley:

EVERY STORY OPENS A DOOR
In a sprawling mansion filled with peculiar treasures, January Scaller is a curiosity herself. As the ward of the wealthy Mr. Locke, she feels little different from the artifacts that decorate the halls: carefully maintained, largely ignored and utterly out of place.
But her quiet existence is shattered when she stumbles across a strange book. A book that carries the scent of other worlds and tells a tale of secret do/>
EVERY
Emily May
In the summer of 1901, at the age of seven, January Scaller found a Door. You know the kind of door–they lead to Faerie, to Valhalla, to Atlantis, to all the places never found on a map.

These portal fantasy premises get me EVERY TIME. This sounds a bit like McGuire's Wayward Children series, which I love. Also exciting that this comes highly recommend by Josiah Bancroft 😍 Can't wait!

ARC provided in exchange for honest review 🔑
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
Upon reading the first few pages of The Ten Thousand Doors of January, it is pretty clear that Alix E. Harrow has a way to write most eloquently and organic, a whimsical tale reminiscent of childhoods' past imaginary wonders, curiosities, and secrets. The most beautiful, exquisite passages of words strung together so naturally, they elude to the calm and quiet brilliance within, ever so gently evoking the reader's attention wrapped around in every line, page by page.

The Ten Thousand
Norma * Traveling Sister
Bewitching, creative, & magical!

THE TEN THOUSAND DOORS OF JANUARY by ALIX E. HARROW is an imaginative, enchanting, intriguing, and unique story that wasn’t the easiest book for me to read. I was a little bit bored in the beginning and almost called it quits quite a few times. I am so glad that I persevered because at approx. 58% in is when things started to get a lot more exciting and come together for me.

The writing is quite beautiful but extremely wordy and dense that definitely bogged d
Josiah Bancroft
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE TEN THOUSAND DOORS OF JANUARY by Alix E. Harrow is a beautifully written and absorbing tale of lost love, stately prisons, ghastly villains, and terrible secrets. It’s a smart and roving adventure that has a full and thumping heart.

Harrow has created a mythology that is both tangible and tantalizing, and has injected that vision into turn of the 20th century America. The historic details greatly enrich and never distract from a narrative that spans generations, continents, and wo
Celeste
You can find this review and more at Novel Notions.

Actual rating: way more than 5 stars.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher (Orbit/Redhook) in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
“Listen, not every story is made for telling. Sometimes just by telling a story you’re stealing it, stealing a little of the mystery away from it.”

The Ten Thousand Doors of January is quite possibly the most achingly beautiful novel I’ve ever read, and I find it mind-bog/>“Listen,/>I
Spencer Orey
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good! Beautiful and precious prose. Somehow I didn’t expect it to be so YA, but I ended up liking that too.

There’s a lot of clever treatment of imperialism and rich collectors. Really the whole book feels deeply grounded in critical history, which for me also made the magic of doors and their fantastic worlds feel fantastically grounded too. I loved that. There are some fierce antiracist and anti-imperialist politics woven in here, and they work wonderfully.

If you’ve been int
Hamad
This ReviewBlog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

“How fitting, that the most terrifying time in my life should require me to do what I do best: escape into a book.”

🌟 Disclaimer: ARC provided by the publisher in exchange of an honest review!

🌟 I am not a big fan of history in general and it was always my least favorite subject in school. I found that the same applies to the bookish world and that I am not a big fan of historical fiction. I saw someone describing this as historical fantasy and I was int/>
Em Lost In Books
4.5*

Absolutely stunning and gorgeous! 💕
Fran
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Locke House was "an immense red stone castle" in Vermont. William Cornelius Locke, Chairman of the Archaeological Society, had amassed an impressive collection of objects "of particular unique value". These magnificent treasures were pilfered from around the world by employees like Julian Scaller. Globetrotting for Mr. Locke, arguably a less than desirable occupation, afforded 'motherless' January the privilege of learning proper etiquette and mixing with high society. Julian was seldom able to ...more
Larry H
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"There's only one way to run away from your own story, and that's to sneak into someone else's."

The Ten Thousand Doors of January is a wild, magical, fascinating story about incredible journeys, love, family, loss, and loyalty.

At the turn of the 20th century January Scaller is a young, curious girl whose father travels for business, hunting the world for antiquities and oddities, so he leaves her in the care of his employer, the eccentric collector of artifacts, Mr. Locke. Locke/>
Adam
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a rare thing to relate to a book’s character in such a way that similar situations evoke empathy across your lives. Enough parallels can be drawn to feel almost as if the book is catered specifically toward you in some existential way. I have not read much portal fantasy, but I have always felt a feeling of smothered repression through my youth that has tamped down my will to explore. Instead, my portals to elsewhere revealed themselves in books and stories at an early age, and they’ve bee ...more
TS Chan
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ARC provided by the publisher, Orbit, in exchange for an honest review.

Incredibly lush, exquisite and enchanting, The Ten Thousand Doors of January has all the makings of a classic. One which I'm certain will be well-loved and much-read. And I dare say not only by those who enjoy fantasy, for this novel is pure joy in literary form that is a tribute to almost every reader out there.

Do you love books? This book is for you.

Do you love the written word? This book is for you.

Do you love stories and escapism? This/>Do/>Do/>Do/>Incredibly
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
3 stars. A spellbinding, imaginative, unique journey!

This novel is a creative, haunting and original story. The main character, January, is a young girl who finds a magical book that takes her on a journey through hidden doors into other worlds. In search of her family and of herself, January tries to piece together her past.

Based on the synopsis, I knew this was a bit of a risky read, but I wanted to take the plunge and try something outside of my usual genre. The first
Sara
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

January Scaller is an oddity. A ward of the rich and powerful Mr Cornelius Locke, her father's employer, with skin the colour of cinnamon, she spends her childhood trying to be a good girl and conforming to the society of 19th century America. Until, aged 7, she finds a Door that opens onto a world smelling of sea brine and possibilities and is changed forever. Scattered among her world are Doors, all leading to different worlds an
Melissa
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HOLY SH*T. This book was like a drug to me. Portals and the multiverse and word magic and fascinating women and crisp, textured prose I wanted to fold and unfold like a letter. It's truly one of those books that's bigger on the inside, a house with countless rooms.
Haïfa
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, favorites
I would like to thank the publisher, Orbit, for providing an early copy in exchange for an honest opinion. All opinions expressed in this review are my own and the quotes included may change in the released copy.

This book was everything I hoped it would be, and more! It was sweet, it was heartbreaking and heart-mending at the same time. Rarely has a book exceeded my expectations, stimulated my imagination and filled me with wonder the way The Ten Thousand Doors of January has. Rarely has a book rekindle
April (Aprilius Maximus)
“It is at the moments when the doors open, when things flow between the worlds, that stories happen.”

oh. my. god.
Umut Reviews
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Ten Thousand Doors of January is definitely one to watch for. I loved the writing, and I think Harrow is a very promising writer, and I look forward to what she'll come up in the following years.
Sometimes you gel with a writer's style immediately, and that was the case with this book. I really liked the style of writing. The beginning of the book was sort of a coming of age tale, where we get to know January, the main character. Then, we slowly start to learn about the doors, and start to d
Bradley
Like the cover to this book, the innards are lush, romantic, and adventuresome. Beautiful prose, much better story, and ten thousand open doors to other realms awaiting us.

Eventually. The first part reads mostly like a Secret Garden type story, complete with the right time period. This may be a bonus to a lot of you, but to me, it was quite simply okay.

When we get word of her father's demise, however, everything picks up pace. I particularly loved how vast swaths of plot

• The Future of Another Timeline
  • An Illusion of Thieves (Chimera, #1)
  • The Monster of Elendhaven
  • Songs from the Deep
  • Chilling Effect (Chilling Effect, #1)
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Unconquerable Sun (The Sun Chronicles #1)
  • Silver in the Wood
  • The Affair of the Mysterious Letter
  • The Women's War (Women's War, #1)
  • The Deep
  • Afterland
  • The City We Became
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Upon a Burning Throne (Burnt Empire Saga, #1)
  • Wherever She Goes
  • Stepsister
  • The Lesson
I've been a student and a teacher, a farm-worker and a cashier, an ice-cream-scooper and a 9-to-5 office-dweller. I've lived in tents and cars, cramped city apartments and lonely cabins, and spent a summer in a really sweet '79 VW Vanagon. I have library cards in at least five states.

Now I'm a full-time writer living in with my husband and two semi-feral kids in Berea, Kentucky. It is,
“The will to be polite, to maintain civility and normalcy, is fearfully strong. I wonder sometimes how much evil is permitted to run unchecked simply because it would be rude to interrupt it.” 15 likes
“Destiny is a pretty story we tell ourselves. Lurking beneath it there are only people, and the terrible choices we make.” 14 likes