Start by marking “Great Goddesses: Life Lessons from Myths and Monsters” as Want to Read:
Great Goddesses: Life Lessons from Myths and Monsters

Great Goddesses: Life Lessons from Myths and Monsters

Empowering life lessons from myths and monsters.

Wonder at Medusa's potent venom, Circe's fierce sorcery and Athena rising up over Olympus, as Nikita Gill majestically explores the untold stories of the life bringers, warriors, creators, survivors and destroyers that shook the world - the great Greek Goddesses.

Vividly re-imagined and beautifully illustrated, step into an a
Published September 5th 2019 by Ebury Press (first published September 3rd 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Great Goddesses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Goddesses

Start your review of Great Goddesses: Life Lessons from Myths and Monsters
jessica
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
‘why be a half-finished poem in some forgotten poets story, when one can be an odyssey in and of herself.’

this book is exactly what it claims to be - feminist poetry about greek myths. nothing more, nothing less.

this is my first collection by nikita gill and, although i found many stunning verses and elegant prose throughout, im not quite sure im a fan of her poetry style overall. i dont know what it is about it, but i appreciated individual pieces more than the collection as a whole.

and t
Amalia Gavea
''They murmur, in the beginning of everything;
from the bones of Chaos, rose a girl
who built the universe, the stars,
the planets, all because she was looking
for a place to dance.''

What if the Olympians were given the chance to narrate their lives and the demands of Fate? What if the gods and goddesses, the women of mythology, were able to share their view on the legends that shaped Western civilization? What if every great goddess were holding a mirror reflecting the issues and the challenge
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]

I think the average reader's experience with Great Goddesses is going to depend heavily upon what you're looking for. I tried to review this fairly with a middle-of-the-road rating because, as a poetry collection, it didn't work. There's no rhythm or flow to 90% of the writing, much of the text feels a little repetitive, and more passages than not instilled about as much of an emotional response as the average textbook would. On the other hand, as a collection of tales about Greek deiti
Jenna
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I loved this author's previous book Fierce Fairytales: Poems and Stories to Stir Your Soul and was so excited when I saw she had a new book coming out. Unfortunately, I just did not engage with this one at all. There were a few poems I really liked, but for the most part my eyes just flicked across the lines, seeking something in the words that I didn't find.

If you're really into Greek mythology you might enjoy this more than I did. It's not awful; it just didn't captivate me like Fierce Fairyt
˗ˏˋ aphrodite ˊˎ˗
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
there will never be a time I don’t give feminist mythological-reimaginings 5 stars.

they are so incredibly important to the way we think of these stories and the impact they have. gill’s interpretation is no different.

I am always fascinated by how each person gives meaning and life to these immortal beings. their stories are the strength of their immortality, after all.

as a poetry collection, it certainly wasn’t my favorite. but as a collection of myths and tales, it was absolutely perfect.

hi
Anna lost in stories *A*
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own, poetry
This is a poetry collection and because in my opinion reading poetry is a very personal experience it’s always very hard for me to write reviews about it… what I can say is that I absolutely loved this book… how it took so may known stories and showed us some new versions of them… I liked it almost as much as Nikita’s “Fierce fairytales” collection and will definitely keep coming back to it… I highly encourage you guys to give it a try ;)

XOXO

A
Jessie ☁️
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars 🤍
Beatrice Masaluñga
As much as I love Mythology, this one flopped. Nikita Gill has an amazing concept and I’m a huge fan of her poetry collections but this book lack an emotional impact.
Megan
Jan 25, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. There were poems in here that gave me goosebumps but there also ones that were lost to me. However, I did find myself growing more into the book the further I read and the more I understood about the Gods, so maybe this is one for a re-read!
C
Apr 20, 2020 rated it liked it
I was waiting to read something about Circe but she's not here 😢 Also Medea, Andromache, Cassandra, Chryseis, and more women. I was expecting so much more but I got lost interest when I keep reading about the Gods more than the Goddesses. That part of Medusa stole my heart, though.

Wild Embers is still my favorite.
The Story Girl
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned, 2-stars, poetry
Meh. I don't see who'd really understand/enjoy this book except for people with a deep interest in obscure (and some not so obscure) Greek mythology. It wasn't really relatable. At all. Nothing like her previous work, so all in all, I was extremely disappointed and regret this purchase.

[previous update] I think everyone saying they’re excited to read this after fierce fairytales is going to be massively disappointed. This is nothing like that and does not have any relatable poems in it so far. I
Thea’s Reading World 💛
I have just finished Fierce Fairytales and I can’t wait for this book to be published 💛
⋆ ✧ charlotte ✧ ⋆
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
beauitful. simply beautiful.
Théo M. (bookswiththeo)
DNF at 75%

Nikita Gill just doesn’t do it for me, I’m not a fan of the writing, and I find the language to be very abrupt.

Some of the poems were really something, they were beautiful and clever and then the others were really weak and felt disjointed. Her voice doesn’t work for what she tries to write though, which is something I noticed in her other collection of poems.

These would work really well as short stories, not so much as poems.
♀ ☾ ✧ the dragon queen ✧ ☾ ♀
i really liked it as a set of mythology, and i enjoyed some of the poems a lot. it wasn't anything earth-shattering but still good, and well-researched. (3.75 stars)

here's a list of the poems that i liked the most:
Chaos to Nyx [6]
Gorgon (A Letter to the Patriarchy) [195]
The Erinyes: Vengeance-skinned Fury [199
Jovana Autumn
DNF at 35%.

I am amazed how Nikita Gill can make something as interesting as Greek Mythology boring.
This is my third and last book of Gill that I will ever read. I'm just going to mentally put her name next to R.h.sin in the folder "Poets to avoid" and continue with my life.
ahrya | pagesofahrya
5/5 stars — strong and powerful speech on feminism, the way of life and humankind.

beautiful writing on important issues and topics. i love the stories woven into greek mythology.
ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω
Finally finished! Quite an enjoyable reading experience 📖 This gets a 4.75 to 5 whole stars 🌟

I really, really loved this book of poetry! Modern poetry is very hit or miss with me, but Nikita Gill has this amazing skill with her phrasing that just captured me so completely! She painted such vivid scenes in my mind of the cosmos and birth of the gods. It was spectacular 🌌

"from the bones of Chaos, rose a girl who built the universe, the stars, the planets, all because she was looking for a place to
Nadia King
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"I lost a God once. It’s easier done than people think. Forget a prayer once in a while or simply grow grief in your kitchen window along with the basil and rosemary. Somewhere inside my heart, I misplaced my faith, misunderstood my own origin story, became a person half tragedy, more misery, and I started to relish it. - FROM 1. A MORTAL INTERLUDE BY NIKITA GILL"

Firstly, I have to start this review with a confession: I have a rather large lack of knowledge of Greek mythology. I wish this wasn’t
Fanna
Jul 09, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
After reading Fierce Fairytales you bet I want to read this!
Sara Jovanovic
Sep 06, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5

I guess I'm not that familar with Greek mythology as I thought I am. To be honest, I expected something similar to Fierce Fairytales. And even though some of the poems were lovely, I wasn't impressed with the collection as a whole, like I thought I would be.

I'm mostly familiar with the stuff from The Odyssey, and some of the basics, like Hades and Persephone, the Troyan war, Medusa. And that pieces were magnificent, offering different outlook on already familiar tales. It's a feminist retelli
Chloe (thelastcolour)
Stumbled upon this at a bookstore in Melbourne and I fell in love with everything that Nikita has written. It was raw and real and I feel so many emotions towards all the gods and goddesses in greek mythology. they all have my heart in pieces. always. always. always.
Jazmin
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
"Maybe that’s why you demonised them,
turned them into monsters,
because you think monsters are easier
to understand than women who say no to you."

I loved reading through these stories and poems, for I love Greek mythology, but the way this was also related to modern world makes it more realistic and cruel. I loved what was made here.

Side note: There’s a chapter called “Argos, Dog of Odysseus”... MY. HEART.
katie
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, poetry
Greek mythology has always fascinated me, so reading this feminist reimagining of the classics was magical and lyrical and alluring. Themes of girlhood, sisterhood, womanhood, wifehood, motherhood, and the struggles of the human condition provided me with a completely different outlook on mythology.

Argos, Dog of Odysseus was my favorite poem from this entire collection, without a doubt. I cried and then smiled so wide; I was a whirlwind of emotions within a span of only three pages.
r8chh
Jun 07, 2020 rated it liked it
I have no doubt this could be an easy 4 or 5 for anyone who's already super into Greek Mythology, but I've only barely dipped my toe in it so I feel like i enjoyed it a tad less because of that. Absolutely nothing against Nikita though!
IN FACT, I ordered her Fierce Fairytails with no doubt in my mind im going to love it. It really encourage me to read more Greek mythologies. And to me, when I read something that encourages me towards something that I've never had a previous interest in, I think
Ciera
Pieces from a mortal interlude that I loved.

“Persephone, grant me the foresight to know when I must let go my old life to start anew.

Aphrodite, grant me the kind of heart that always follows my passions true.

Amphitrite, grant me the wish to never fall out of love with the sea or the glisten of its waters.

Demeter, grant me the love I need to nurture and to foster.

And Hera, grant me your fury, so I can remind my enemies I am not the weakness they perceive, I am not the oncoming storm, I am the war
Aaryn Flott
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A quick read! I enjoyed the imagery and Gill’s twists on the stories of the Greek goddesses and gods. Some of the stories are empowering as they examine feminism and the value of self-worth, but some of the stories are also heart breaking as they allude to gender roles and assess the harsh reality of misogyny.
Jasmine
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyone say hello to my favourite book of 2019 :)

The poetry market has been a tough nut to crack since Rupi Kaur arrived on the scene in 2014. There’s always been this need in the book community to compare any poet to Kaur, commenting on how similar or how dissimilar it is, how they must have copied her, how there’s no inspiration behind the work, how it brings nothing new to the table. I say why make them compete? Poetry is about so much more than reposts and quotability. Poetry is about a per
Ekene
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like your enjoyment of this collection will depend on how much you love hearing about every God and Goddess there is. For me, there are few that I was interested in reading about-namely Hades and Persephone, Medusa, etc-so going through the others, I didn't really care for. But what I can say is that they were all well-done
Sonali Dabade
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
It's 3 AM and I stayed up to finish this book. Now I have a lot of thoughts running through my head including the one that's leaving me torn between whether I should laugh or cry, one that wants me to read it for the first time (what's wrong with you, brain?), one that wants me to go give Nikita Gill a hug but since that's not possible, I'll go sit in a corner and cry and stew.

What a fantastic book this is! A retelling of the Greek myths, I went in expecting so much and got so much more than th

• Aphrodite Made Me Do It
  • Break Your Glass Slippers (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #1)
  • To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
  • The Truth About Magic
  • The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #3)
  • I Hope You Stay
  • When You Ask Me Where I'm Going
  • To Make Monsters Out of Girls (Things that Haunt, #1)
  • Life of the Party
  • Submerge
  • When the Stars Wrote Back
  • The Sinister Mystery of the Mesmerizing Girl (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club, #3)
  • Mending the Mind (Pillow Thoughts, #3)
  • The Secret Chapter (The Invisible Library, #6)
  • Grimoire Noir
  • Before the Coffee Gets Cold
  • A Dream So Dark (Nightmare-Verse, #2)
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
Nikita Gill is a Indian Sikh writer brought up in Gurugram, Haryana in India. In her mid twenties, she immigrated to the South of England and worked as a carer for many years. She enjoys creating paintings, poems, stories, photos, illustrations and other soft, positive things. Her work has appeared in Literary Orphans, Agave Magazine, Gravel Literary Journal, Monkeybicycle, Foliate Oak, MusePiePre ...more

News & Interviews

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”  Theodor Geisel said...
“Does the night ever tire of the darkness? Does the sea ever tire of her own depths? Do the trees ever tire of their roots? Do mortals ever tire of looking for other mortals to call home?” 20 likes
“Why be a half-finished poem in some forgotten poet’s story, when one can be an odyssey in and of herself, part magic, part villain, part Goddess, part lover.” 19 likes