Start by marking “Great Goddesses: Life Lessons from Myths and Monsters” as Want to Read:
Great Goddesses: Life Lessons from Myths and Monsters

Great Goddesses: Life Lessons from Myths and Monsters

Empowering life lessons from myths and monsters.

Wonder at Medusa's potent venom, Circe's fierce sorcery and Athena rising up over Olympus, as Nikita Gill majestically explores the untold stories of the life bringers, warriors, creators, survivors and destroyers that shook the world - the great Greek Goddesses.

Vividly re-imagined and beautifully illustrated, step into an a
Published September 5th 2019 by Ebury Press (first published September 3rd 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Great Goddesses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Goddesses

Start your review of Great Goddesses: Life Lessons from Myths and Monsters
jessica
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
‘why be a half-finished poem in some forgotten poets story, when one can be an odyssey in and of herself.’

this book is exactly what it claims to be - feminist poetry about greek myths. nothing more, nothing less.

this is my first collection by nikita gill and, although i found many stunning verses and elegant prose throughout, im not quite sure im a fan of her poetry style overall. i dont know what it is about it, but i appreciated individual pieces more than the collection as a whole.

and t
destiny ♡ howling libraries

I think the average reader's experience with Great Goddesses is going to depend heavily upon what you're looking for. I tried to review this fairly with a middle-of-the-road rating because, as a poetry collection, it didn't work. There's no rhythm or flow to 90% of the writing, much of the text feels a little repetitive, and more passages than not instilled about as much of an emotional response as the average textbook would. On the other hand, as a collection of tales about Greek deiti
Jenna ❤ ❀  ❤
I loved this author's previous book Fierce Fairytales: Poems and Stories to Stir Your Soul and was so excited when I saw she had a new book coming out. Unfortunately, I just did not engage with this one at all. There were a few poems I really liked, but for the most part my eyes just flicked across the lines, seeking something in the words that I didn't find.

If you're really into Greek mythology you might enjoy this more than I did. It's not awful; it just didn't captivate me like Fierce Fairyt
✨ Helena ✨
3.5 stars, rounded up to 4

I actually really enjoyed this! The Hades x Persephone and Hephaestus x Aphrodite ones I loved the most. I probably liked the Poseidon x Amphitrite ones the least, but I still appreciated them because Amphitrite is so often excluded from retellings.

For poetry, it was a rather odd writing style. I'm not certain if I liked it or not, but it was certainly unusual. The constant man-hating though did grate on my nerves after a while. I don't think we necessarily need to bri
☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣
Q:
I lost a God once. It’s easier done than people think. Forget a prayer once in a while or simply grow grief in your kitchen window along with the basil and rosemary. Somewhere inside my heart, I misplaced my faith, misunderstood my own origin story, became a person half tragedy, more misery, and I started to relish it. I revelled in this losing of everything that I thought I was, the lack of self-care; the drowning becomes such a needful thing when you think there is nothing left to look forwa
aphrodite
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
there will never be a time I don’t give feminist mythological-reimaginings 5 stars.

they are so incredibly important to the way we think of these stories and the impact they have. gill’s interpretation is no different.

I am always fascinated by how each person gives meaning and life to these immortal beings. their stories are the strength of their immortality, after all.

as a poetry collection, it certainly wasn’t my favorite. but as a collection of myths and tales, it was absolutely perfect.

hi
Beatrice Masaluñga
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: btb-2020, poetry
As much as I love Mythology, this one flopped. Nikita Gill has an amazing concept and I’m a huge fan of her poetry collections but this book lack an emotional impact.
Anna lost in stories *A*
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own, poetry
This is a poetry collection and because in my opinion reading poetry is a very personal experience it’s always very hard for me to write reviews about it… what I can say is that I absolutely loved this book… how it took so may known stories and showed us some new versions of them… I liked it almost as much as Nikita’s “Fierce fairytales” collection and will definitely keep coming back to it… I highly encourage you guys to give it a try ;)

XOXO

A
natalie ♥
Mar 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
“Every love does not have to be made of desire. Some loves are kept for the people who stand by you through everything. Some soulmates are sisters not lovers. Some loves are for those who give you hope. And some for the strength, for wisdom, for dreams.”

“Why be a half-finished poem in some forgotten poet’s story, when one can be an odyssey in and of herself, part magic, part villain, part Goddess, part lover.”
Jessie (allthings.picturesque)
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars 🤍
Soha Ashraf
Apr 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I am in a bubble of astonishment. Throughout reading it, I couldn’t get to fully recover from the marvels of the previous page and the next page would leave me awestruck all over again. I tried to soak in the words; in hopes that one day I might be able to construct these words on paper, half as good as her.
Megan
Jan 25, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. There were poems in here that gave me goosebumps but there also ones that were lost to me. However, I did find myself growing more into the book the further I read and the more I understood about the Gods, so maybe this is one for a re-read!
Celeste
Aug 31, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

Great Goddesses has cemented Nikita Gill as my favorite poet, usurping T.S. Eliot, who has held that pride of place since I was in high school. While I didn’t love it quite as much as Fierce Fairytales, Great Goddesses was still an incredibly solid collection. It took the classic tales of the Greek gods and goddesses and manages to both reaffirm them and turn them on their head. Here, Gill gives stories we already know depth and new life, while also pondering what these d
The Story Girl
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned, 2-stars, poetry
Meh. I don't see who'd really understand/enjoy this book except for people with a deep interest in obscure (and some not so obscure) Greek mythology. It wasn't really relatable. At all. Nothing like her previous work, so all in all, I was extremely disappointed and regret this purchase.

[previous update] I think everyone saying they’re excited to read this after fierce fairytales is going to be massively disappointed. This is nothing like that and does not have any relatable poems in it so far. I
C
Apr 20, 2020 rated it liked it
I was waiting to read something about Circe but she's not here 😢 Also Medea, Andromache, Cassandra, Chryseis, and more women. I was expecting so much more but I got lost interest when I keep reading about the Gods more than the Goddesses. That part of Medusa stole my heart, though.

Wild Embers is still my favorite.
Jovana Autumn
DNF at 35%.

I am amazed how Nikita Gill can make something as interesting as Greek Mythology boring.
This is my third and last book of Gill that I will ever read. I'm just going to mentally put her name next to R.h.sin in the folder "Poets to avoid" and continue with my life.
Thea’s Reading World 💛
I have just finished Fierce Fairytales and I can’t wait for this book to be published 💛
ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω
Finally finished! Quite an enjoyable reading experience 📖 This gets a 4.75 to 5 whole stars 🌟

I really, really loved this book of poetry! Modern poetry is very hit or miss with me, but Nikita Gill has this amazing skill with her phrasing that just captured me so completely! She painted such vivid scenes in my mind of the cosmos and birth of the gods. It was spectacular 🌌

"from the bones of Chaos, rose a girl who built the universe, the stars, the planets, all because she was looking for a place to
Charlotte
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
beauitful. simply beautiful.
Théo M. (bookswiththeo)
DNF at 75%

Nikita Gill just doesn’t do it for me, I’m not a fan of the writing, and I find the language to be very abrupt.

Some of the poems were really something, they were beautiful and clever and then the others were really weak and felt disjointed. Her voice doesn’t work for what she tries to write though, which is something I noticed in her other collection of poems.

These would work really well as short stories, not so much as poems.
♀ ☾ ✧ the dragon queen ✧ ☾ ♀
i really liked it as a set of mythology, and i enjoyed some of the poems a lot. it wasn't anything earth-shattering but still good, and well-researched. (3.75 stars)

here's a list of the poems that i liked the most:
Chaos to Nyx [6]
Scylla [192]
Gorgon (A Letter to the Patriarchy) [195]
The Erinyes: Vengeance-skinned Fury [199
Nov 24, 2020 rated it liked it
I could not get into this for the first half of the book and had to put it down for over a week to come back to it. However, I really enjoyed the second half. I love that Nikita Gill read her own poems for the audiobook, she has a beautiful tone to her voice and it made this book more enjoyable.
ahrya
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all-time-faves
5/5 stars — strong and powerful speech on feminism, the way of life and humankind.

beautiful writing on important issues and topics. i love the stories woven into greek mythology.
 Bon
Jul 07, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Loved this.

The pro-Hades agenda! The sympathy for the Minotaur, and Odysseus' dog. I cried. My favorite parts were everything Hades/Persephone but this was all great. It served as a wide-ranging introduction to the pantheon, but through a nice modern, woke lens. It was narrated so prettily by the author, too.
Caahpinotti ⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚
if you, like me, love 𝗽𝗼𝗲𝗺𝘀 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗴𝗿𝗲𝗲𝗸 𝗺𝘆𝘁𝗵𝗼𝗹𝗼𝗴𝘆, you will adore this book! 🍥🍇
nikita gill transforms myths of a thousand years old into 𝗹𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗼𝗻𝘀 and learnings that are applicable today. her 𝗿𝗲𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗿𝗽𝗿𝗲𝘁𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗵𝘂𝗺𝗮𝗻𝗶𝘇𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗼𝗳 𝗺𝘆𝘁𝗵𝗼𝗹𝗼𝗴𝗶𝗰𝗮𝗹 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗱𝗶𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗲 𝗳𝗶𝗴𝘂𝗿𝗲𝘀 is mesmerizing and truly stunning ( ˘ ³˘)♥︎

furthermore, the way she manages to give a 𝘃𝗼𝗶𝗰𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝗳𝗲𝗺𝗮𝗹𝗲 𝗳𝗶𝗴𝘂𝗿𝗲𝘀 who have always had their own stories erased and/or told by men and, consequently, giving us (women dã) a voice, is incredible.

ohh, i
Nadia King
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"I lost a God once. It’s easier done than people think. Forget a prayer once in a while or simply grow grief in your kitchen window along with the basil and rosemary. Somewhere inside my heart, I misplaced my faith, misunderstood my own origin story, became a person half tragedy, more misery, and I started to relish it. - FROM 1. A MORTAL INTERLUDE BY NIKITA GILL"

Firstly, I have to start this review with a confession: I have a rather large lack of knowledge of Greek mythology. I wish this wasn’t
Daria Marchis
Nov 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
THIS WAS SUCH A GOOD BOOK OML✋🏻
Percy Jackson fans or greek mythology fans YOU NEED THIS IN YOUR LIFE!! As a greek mythology nerd, when I saw this book, I immediately knew I needed it. And I am so glad I took it because if I ever imagine the possibility that I wouldn’t have read this …. no, I’m not even gonna think about it!
This is a book of poems by one of my favorite authors. And these poems are about greek goddesses. They are written to explain to us all the power women have. And that women
Fanna
Jul 09, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
After reading Fierce Fairytales you bet I want to read this!
Sara Jovanovic
Sep 06, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5

I guess I'm not that familar with Greek mythology as I thought I am. To be honest, I expected something similar to Fierce Fairytales. And even though some of the poems were lovely, I wasn't impressed with the collection as a whole, like I thought I would be.

I'm mostly familiar with the stuff from The Odyssey, and some of the basics, like Hades and Persephone, the Troyan war, Medusa. And that pieces were magnificent, offering different outlook on already familiar tales. It's a feminist retelli
Artemis ✨
Aug 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book it was amazing
The lessons, stories and truths Nikita Gill writes about is amazing.
I have been reading more and more Greek myths, and the more I read the more I realize how these ancient goddesses, gorgons and girls were more victims then villains. This books shows how men wrote these women in such a way that we were forced to believe that the more powerful a woman is the more evil and untameable she is. But the truth is they fear us. They fear us all. They tried to mark Hera

• Aphrodite Made Me Do It
  • To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
  • Flower Crowns and Fearsome Things
  • The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #3)
  • To Make Monsters Out of Girls (Things that Haunt, #1)
  • Shine your Icy Crown (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #2)
  • The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #2)
  • Unlock Your Storybook Heart (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #3)
  • The Sinister Mystery of the Mesmerizing Girl (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club, #3)
  • The Secret Chapter (The Invisible Library, #6)
  • Grimoire Noir
  • Before the Coffee Gets Cold (Before the Coffee Gets Cold, #1)
  • A Dream So Dark (Nightmare-Verse, #2)
  • Break Your Glass Slippers (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #1)
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Shatter City (Impostors, #2)
  • ひるなかの流星 2 [Hirunaka no Ryuusei 2]
  • Beauty
See top shelves…
Nikita Gill is a Kashmiri Sikh writer born in Belfast, Northern Ireland and brought up in Gurugram, Haryana in India. In her mid twenties, she immigrated to the South of England and worked as a carer for many years. She enjoys creating paintings, poems, stories, photos, illustrations and other soft, positive things. Her work has appeared in Literary Orphans, Agave Magazine, Gravel Literary Journal ...more